Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried to get in to

stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
Ive played every class and got a few to 22 to 26 to try bams and was really really trying to get into it but none of the classes really grab me ive played from beta eq to 15 other games and always had at least 1 class i couldnt put down i got to say slayer was close in tera but no cigar guess ill wait til TWS to play again is tear a good game yes its just not me .

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah i agree..

I tried tera on the korean servers and then beta in EU and could not get into it.. its not a bad game but im not a fan of the asian art style so jsut could not motivate myself to play..

At the end of the day if you dont have fun playing a game then its pointless playing :)

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    I understand the dislike for the asian style of TERA, one thing that annoys me is seeing a fat small bunny looking dude running around questing, good thing I picked PvP...

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I have a lvl 37 Mystic and I constantly wish I had more time to play Tera.

It's a great game if you enjoy asian mmo's and a combat system that requires you to focus.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Tanking as a Warrior might offer you some unique gameplay. Granted, at this time you can't queue for dungeons as a Warrior Tank but that doesn't mean you can't form your own. Being an evasion tank that is fairly squishy, maintains aggro, is able to keep the mobs turned away and tries to keel them pinned to static spots is really fun.

If not then hopefully you find an MMO worth you time and money.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Tanking as a Warrior might offer you some unique gameplay. Granted, at this time you can't queue for dungeons as a Warrior Tank but that doesn't mean you can't form your own. Being an evasion tank that is fairly squishy, maintains aggro, is able to keep the mobs turned away and tries to keel them pinned to static spots is really fun.

If not then hopefully you find an MMO worth you time and money.

This is what did it for me. I played a warrior and was having fun lvling up - Fighting a mob without losing any health is extremely rewarding because you know you earned it. But once I got to lvl 18-20 and started doing the celestial hills BAM group quests and then the first dungeon. I was completely hooked. It completely revolutionized what tanking should be.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

That's the only thing holding me back as well. I love the art, I love the combat system, I'd love everything about the game. I just can't find a class that really draws me in to buy this game. I played all of them during the WBE's. None, really attract me. =

I really wanted to play this game; but I'll get over it. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Combat seems good. But so many invisible walls... God.. that's just too much. Cancelling.

I find ways to climb over zones all the time. Where are the invisible walls that shouldn't be there? Also, how does something you've been doing "seem" like anything. I don't mean to pick on your choice if words, maybe it was a typo but your whole post seems wierd.

• ProphecysProphecys Member UncommonPosts: 32

I havn't seen much asian art style as everyone has been talking about.

Playing with friends on a PVP servers makes it alot better.

I find ways to climb over zones all the time. Where are the invisible walls that shouldn't be there? Also, how does something you've been doing "seem" like anything. I don't mean to pick on your choice if words, maybe it was a typo but your whole post seems wierd.

Well i found invisible walls just everywhere outside of the path you should be following. The broken bridge for instance, you can't jump down, and all the edge of the cliff is an invisible wall, there is no way to fall dawn.

About the combat, I havent explored all of it, I haven't grouped, I haven't tried other classes other than priest so it seemed better to say it "seems" to be good. Splitting hairs really.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Can't say you didn't give it a darn good try OP, but we all like differnt things. Good luck in your search.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Metentso

Well i found invisible walls just everywhere outside of the path you should be following. The broken bridge for instance, you can't jump down, and all the edge of the cliff is an invisible wall, there is no way to fall dawn.

About the combat, I havent explored all of it, I haven't grouped, I haven't tried other classes other than priest so it seemed better to say it "seems" to be good. Splitting hairs really.

You're right and I really wasn't trying to be a jerk about it.  If it came across that way my apologies.  It's true that the Isle of Dawn does not allow you to fall off the edge (I tried it myself hehe) and your investments are your own I just thought it seemed strange to want to cancel a sub because of it.

The game itself is "open world" meaning all lands occupy the same space in the game world (Isle of Dawn included) even if you can't reach them.  The game could easily have a flying mount system in the future.  When you get to 11 and take the Pegesus to Velika you are actually speeding across the land, it's not a loading screen.  The first time you do this and come out of the portal it's amazing.

You're right and I really wasn't trying to be a jerk about it.  If it came across that way my apologies.  It's true that the Isle of Dawn does not allow you to fall off the edge (I tried it myself hehe) and your investments are your own I just thought it seemed strange to want to cancel a sub because of it.

The game itself is "open world" meaning all lands occupy the same space in the game world (Isle of Dawn included) even if you can't reach them.  The game could easily have a flying mount system in the future.  When you get to 11 and take the Pegesus to Velika you are actually speeding across the land, it's not a loading screen.  The first time you do this and come out of the portal it's amazing.

Well for me that breaks immersion completely and i find it improper of an MMO such an abuse of invisible walls. I have a different understanding of the meaning of "open world" also. If i can't reach a place which it would be logical to reach, that place is closed to me by artificial meanings, and thats the opposite to being open.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Imo they are a bit too overprotective in the noob island. The mobs there are very forgiving and as you said there are areas that the game does not allow you to fall off. Still, they are people who complain that the game is too difficult, so I'm not sure what the perfect balance of difficulty is.

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

Well I just spent an hour watching some guys twitchtv stream and honestly I tried to figure out the pull. I watched him gather nodes alot, and fight bams. The bams took like 15 minutes each, and involved attack, monster would begin it's attack, strafe right, strafe right, attack, strafe right , attack, monster would inevitably charge, then just repeat ad infinitum until dead. Then he turns round and just starts on another one using the same combination. It didn't even drop anything good.

Am i missing something?

I honestly think my views on mmos and what constitutes fun are so different from tera players that it's not worth me pointing out the flaws i believe the game has. Because if you enjoy monotonous killing with no real reward then yes, Tera is an amazing game, go for it, it is the ultimate carrot on a stick game.

Well for me that breaks immersion completely and i find it improper of an MMO such an abuse of invisible walls. I have a different understanding of the meaning of "open world" also. If i can't reach a place which it would be logical to reach, that place is closed to me by artificial meanings, and thats the opposite to being open.

Well WoW is now "open world" by that standard since flying mounts were introduced.  Hey, if it breaks your immersion then so be it there are just not many games that provide that other than VG and even then I'm sure there are some placed ony accessable by Flying mount.  If TERA had flying mounts there would only be a few places you couldn't pass.  Also keep in mind that a lot of classes have jumpbacks, rolls and teleports.  I can imagine the same ire you have expressed by someone shooting themselves to a thousand foot death lol.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The problems with mmorpgs is that they all look boring when you actually watch people do everyday stuff.

As for the BAMs, if they are same level as you, you don't get to do many mistakes before they flatten you. It is an endurance fight, one you can opt to do faster but risk dying or slower and, well, lose time.

You're right on one thing though, not all mmorpgs are for everyone. And Tera is rather niche in it's approach, so that makes this particular game less suited for most people.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Teekay

Am i missing something?

Imo you are missing the right forum. You, and some other people, spend a lot of time on Tera board, popping up in every post bashing the game.

As I already said once, I really don't get it. You don't like the game, and that's fine, but why you feel the need to come here and annoy people enjoying it? 

Do you think you look smart / funny / cool in our eyes? Cause I assure you, you don't. Quite the opposite.

There are MMORPG I don't like, still you don't see me on those game boards bashing them. I don't like them other people do, different people different opinions.

Are you, and by you I mean all the guys popping up in every Tera post, so obtuse that you can't accept some people like what you don't?

And by the way stop pretending you are trying to understand whay we like the game, you clearly don't care a bit, you are just try to find another way to bash the game.

Well I just spent an hour watching some guys twitchtv stream and honestly I tried to figure out the pull. I watched him gather nodes alot, and fight bams. The bams took like 15 minutes each, and involved attack, monster would begin it's attack, strafe right, strafe right, attack, strafe right , attack, monster would inevitably charge, then just repeat ad infinitum until dead. Then he turns round and just starts on another one using the same combination. It didn't even drop anything good.

Am i missing something?

I honestly think my views on mmos and what constitutes fun are so different from tera players that it's not worth me pointing out the flaws i believe the game has. Because if you enjoy monotonous killing with no real reward then yes, Tera is an amazing game, go for it, it is the ultimate carrot on a stick game.

I don't think you're missing anything I just think you don't like TERA, well not enough to play but certainly enough to come in here often to state how it's not a big deal.  Yes, gear does matter in TERA and no, it's not an "everyone wins a trophy" game.  Name me one game that guarentees good drops every kill.  Gear drops a lot in TERA across the board however.

BAMs are not meant for solo play unless you want to spend that amount of time doing it which would probably get boring.  They are designed for groups.  Loot is random so you win some, you lose some but xp is supposed to be great.  Depending on what class and level the player is depends on how you fight them, a few levels above goes a long way.  If it was a lancer (Shield) then there probably wansn't much movement since they rely on blocking as defense.  What you don't see much of is the management of MP that is taken with the block functionality.  Here is the first BAM you come across at 20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSG3XTK_kdo

Doesn't take that long and the mob movements are pretty telegraphed.  Being 22 and having good gear is king.  There are uncommon quality level 22 items that have % attack speed you can unlock at +3, for 2h that is boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZ9-vZdhRQ&feature=related

Same idea here except the movements are quicker on the mobs part and more AoE.  At all levels the BAMs seem to be soloable with enough time.  The reason why they seem "easy" is because youcan move around them for the most part but glancing hits you and most attacks take a good portion of your HP.

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

Watched both of those. I even watched a level 50 golden dungeon run video.

Haven't changed my mind.

Just strafe right or left taking little shots, just wait for the mob to do its ineveitable charge forwards then attack its rear until it turns and then just strafe some more until the next charge. Same mechanism on all the bam videos i watched. All the people saying it takes alot of skill and coordination to fight bams....i'm just not seeing it. The bams arn't intelligent enough to try and face you, as soon as their charge animation locks,  or their attack animation locks they'll just attack empty space for 5 seconds.

Knowing what you need to do and doing it are two different things. What makes it easier? Practice. Was it chance that in the videos posted the player wins out? Lol. Think about that for a second. The videos give you an idea of mob reaction and recovery times but since what your watching is one fight out of x the player has had with that BAM you have to use critical thinking to get more out of it.

Besides, it's about fun more than anything. It gets your heart pounding when you do get hit and 1/4 of your health goes away while a minute if smart maneuvering takes only a 1/10 of theirs.

• Sata123Sata123 Member Posts: 34

Well I just spent an hour watching some guys twitchtv stream 

Dont watch videos...Play the game, try to solo several BAMs yourself...then repost.

I usually enjoy tanking in mmos.In TERA with a Lancer you can actualy FEEL those hard hits in your shield. :P

• CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by stromp45

Ive played every class and got a few to 22 to 26 to try bams and was really really trying to get into it but none of the classes really grab me ive played from beta eq to 15 other games and always had at least 1 class i couldnt put down i got to say slayer was close in tera but no cigar guess ill wait til TWS to play again is tear a good game yes its just not me .

How far did you take your slayer?  Did you get glyphs?  In particular overhand strikes 50% chance to have no cooldown?

I have only tried a mystic and slayer and when just talking about the class itself it is my opinion that the Slayer is by far the best melee class I have ever played in an mmorpg.  In fact all future mmorpgs should have a slayer it should be a future standard.  Warrior Rogue Mage Priest Slayer lol.

The sheer brutality of the slayer class in combination with the ridiculous brutal combinations that can occur if you get lucky enough with the overhand strikes glyph keeps me very amused.  I do enjoy leaping strike quite a bit as well.