Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Here is hoping they can make a perfect MMO RPG like they can make the perfect single player RPG.

Non instanced dungeons is a known fact so far. :D

Would like to see something like RvR in ESO like what I saw in DAoC.

The same skill system in ESO as Skyrim or Morrowind.

A non class gameplay. This will free up the sandbox even more.

Sandbox type gameplay is a must if this is to work as a MMO.

Full loot rights on dead players. I want death to have an impact and meaning not just some horrid repair mechanic.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Obviously the graphics in the very first article about the game are never going to improve. I bet the events will suck too and the game will probably be 100% themepark with instancing at every turn. The rest of development is going to be spent on large boats, champagne and super models (and VO from washed up performers). We might as well give up now and just throw money into the dumpster.

Why is everyone so gloomy around here 24/7??? Cheer up a little.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

ES, any version, was to me always boring world of nothing. Every few hours some beast. No matter level all mobs equaly hard/easy. Same fighting rat or dragon. Even for that time mechanics of movement of characters .... just bad, like all have ate wooden stick for dinner. Etc. Despite every version was new disappointment, I have keept up with trying new ones. Had enough with Oblivion. Hopefully mmo version would be good, I'm still willing to try.

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Without a doubt this game will be awesome, as long as theres lots of pvp :)

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

The game will have Both instanced & Non-instanced Dungeon and Raid dungeons, from the looks of it pvp will be a big part of this game

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'll be expecting this to be generic and terrible, until I have any reason to think otherwise.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Vhaln

I'll be expecting this to be generic and terrible, until I have any reason to think otherwise.

Agree.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

I expect more shoddy work from Bethesda. Level 45 and I beat the main story in Skyrim....the rest is just boring and it still has tons of stability issues. Thanks to the mod community, it's better than what it would be. Still, I don't trust Bethesda anymore after failrim.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I'd like to get into a beta for this and check it out.  Playing GW2 led me to believe that completely shying away from the familiar isn't always a good idea, so I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

WOW bill your foresight is truly astounding NOT

Lets face it,  ESO has been the worst kept secret in gaming even worse kept than SWTOR was.

Bragging about calling it is like bragging that tomorrow will be Saturday.

Either way so long as it has a decent 3rd person mode and the 3 faction rvr lives up to DAOC then it could be worth looking at,  if its 1st person or be gimped garbage like Oblivion, skyrim etc then I'll give it a miss.

• TalElyTalEly Member CommonPosts: 5

Well, like many, I fell inlove with Skyrim, and at a certain point I felt lonely, with whom can I share all my loot and wonderful swords I've prepared? Who will strategize with me how to slay these foolish bandits sitting there so assured they've won?

But then, oh then, I reminded myself of the horrible chat, the mess of people running around, running around in a forest which inhabitants were friends of mine when I finished the quest, but hey, now they're not. The sensation of futility, no action you take really changes anything, because hey, other people ought to have quests as well, and the same ones...

If it would have kept to a max of 4 people multiplayer inside skyrim, that would have been brilliant, anything more, I say it'll sink faster than a rock...

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by MyBoot

Can I pre order yet ?

This is so 2011 - one pre-purchases these days ...

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Has the potential to be Ultima Online.

• mefistofelismefistofelis Member Posts: 14

1)a class system will be in place.

2)the combat system will not be the same real time combat the Elder Scrolls games are known for.

3)Players will be unable to contract Vampire and Werewolf diseases, but there will be Vampires and Werewolves in the game

4)skills will be activated from a hotbar.

5)Some of the provinces may not be completely available

6)there are no plans to include a system that allows players to invest in property as they could in the single-player experirience.

How is this an ES game?I dont think so....

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Well written article.

But as far as the title goes...  ESO doesnt mean s#*& for MMORPGs.  Because until proven otherwise it is just going to be another WoW clone.

3 factions bodes well but what we really need is some confirmation on sandbox gameplay.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by TalEly

If it would have kept to a max of 4 people multiplayer inside skyrim, that would have been brilliant, anything more, I say it'll sink faster than a rock...

I agree completely.  It would have done better as a co-op game.  Like DIABLO III except with your personal mosaic world and you can invite others to it or fight in others worlds (which then has an effect on that area of your world, a la mosaic). 

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• carebear77carebear77 Member Posts: 86

@enoch420 :  I expect more shoddy work from Bethesda. Level 45 and I beat the main story in Skyrim....the rest is just boring and it still has tons of stability issues. Thanks to the mod community, it's better than what it would be. Still, I don't trust Bethesda anymore after failrim

Keep on trollin trollin trollin , LOL SKYRIM OWNS !!! 

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Big name, big title and probably will be a big dissapointment too.

Untill its actually been made and then released i am not going to get hyped up about anything anymore because simply put they have all tended to be extreamly dissapointing release's

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

It's really good news but so far off that it is only going to remain something "I heard was coming'. Once they actually start development and move somewhere with it..cool beans.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Starting a report off with, "I don't think I'm reaching if I say we have all spent hours of our RPG time in the world of the Elder Scrolls ," is a bad idea. Claiming to speak for everyone pretty much always means that you are wrong...as is the case here.

"Matt Firor, who has been running the studio, was one of the top people on the classic Dark Age of Camelot MMO. He is known as one of the people who conceptualized DAOC’s famous RvR system. This would mean that an Elder Scrolls game in Matt’s hands will produce a very awesome PvP system. "

You should probably have said, "has the potential to produce a very awesome PvP system." Someone who has done something right once previously does not mean that they will be able to recreate the magic of their past achievement in the future.

"The crew at Zenimax Online has just jumped to the MMO All-Star list"

How did they become all-stars without having ever produced anything ?

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by ABRaquel

I would much rather have a co-op Elder Scrolls where I and friends can just roam around, instead of having to deal with xXDrizztXx or Legollollas123 running around.

This, this, this, this, this.

Honestly this news makes me kind of sad. Also where the damn is my Skyrim DLC? Mods can only hold me for so long.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Well this is Bethesda's TORtanic/TORcraft, i guess.

IF already streamlined and  uninspired Skyrim did not kill them for me, this will..

Oh well, back to re-playing Morrowind. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Yuui
    Well this is Bethesda's TORtanic/TORcraft, i guess. IF already streamlined and  uninspired Skyrim did not kill them for me, this will.. Oh well, back to re-playing Morrowind. 

Bethesda isn't making this game, and Skyrim was a fantastic game that only made Bethesda richer.

Everyone please read up on ESO before spouting nonsense.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

Eeee... it's a 3-rd person themepark with limits on character development, clunky and retarded controls, probably limited and linear world (like in TOR) and trinity system acording to info I get so far.

What part of this sounds like TES ? :| I see they want to show us another TOR-like failure. Gues what, if someone is willing to pay 15$ then that person will play WoW and not another clone of this game.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

I must be the only person on the planet who didn't like Skyrim.  I couldn't play it for more than 6 hours.  I just hated how I could only cast 2 spells as a mage without pausing it.  I didn't really find the combat to be very challenging either.  Of course I will admit that Skyrim came out at around the same time as Dark Souls which ruined other single player rpgs for me.  I did put in close to 100 hours in Morrowind though, so i recognize how these types of games can be fun.  If they are going to make an mmorpg though they had better go sandbox, these type of games would fail pretty hard as themeparks.  

This is off topic, but I still have to ask this.. What's with the "having to pause"? I mean, you can have hotkeys from 1-9 in use (Like in any Elder Scrolls to date, starting from Morrowind), why would you need to pause with that amount of hotkeys? I've managed to stack all in combat spells there, along with my weapon and summons. Even two different shouts.

But yeah, compared to Skyrim - Morrowind just had that something.

EDIT: and lets add, I'm personally afraid of any TES MMO.. I mean, they'll just rape it, I bet.

We?re all dead, just say it.