Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Chat in game

TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

For years now I've been playing games, beta testing games, close beta, and such.  For the last 5+ years I've tested quite a few games and the one thing that all of them had in common when it came to in game chat was topics.

(JUST AN OBSERVATION)

Recently I had tested a few games before I was able to play Guild Wars 2 BWE and I noticed this was no different.  Swtor I saw people talking in chat, not about Swtor but about Guild Wars 2. Though in my testing of Swtor I completely enjoyed myself and had a blast in the game, I played for a good 15 hours over that weekend and had a great time.

That same weekend I tested another game that actually forced me into enjoying more time in Swtor but comparing the in game chat was interesting.  Tera's in game chat was filled with people talking about Guild Wars 2.  It didn't really mean anything to me until last weekend. All the Tera's in game chat I saw that had anything to do with Tera was mostly negative.

I spent 47 hours in BWE and the one difference in Guild Wars 2 in game chat that I saw,  no other game was being discussed, all chat I saw was bout Guild Wars 2 and how amazing it was.  Or I didn't see anyone talking at all, i'm assuming it was because they were enjoying the game so much, why? Because a few times I asked, everyone's so quit is it because yall are having fun?  and sure enough everyone exploded into conversation about the amazing experience they were having.

Now before people get all twisted and freak out about the bad that did happen over the BWE with "BETA" issues, the comparing is about in game chat and how over the years most beta's in game chats are about other games unless the game they are in is outstanding.   I found it funny how Tera's in game chat was filled with complaining about TERA and mostly talking about Guild Was 2.  Also in Swtor the same thing even though the game has been out for a while, the in game chat was about Guild Wars 2 and such.  Guild Wars 2 chat was about Guild Wars 2 and mostly positive.

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Local chat was short range. How did you not notice this?

When you give people a server/zone wide chat, you'll read the most random of things when idling for a bit (doing who knows what).

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/We-need-a-General-Zone-chat/page/1#post101660

Edit: wrong link

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by NBlitz

When you give people a server/zone wide chat, you'll read the most random of things when idling for a bit (doing who knows what).

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/say-chat/page/1#post152641

The OP is correct about the nature of GW2 in game chat, though. I never saw anyone mention another game or talk about anything other than GW2. Not even when I was hanging out in the cities, or in areas with a high saturation of players. The community was great!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by fiontar

The OP is correct about the nature of GW2 in game chat, though. I never saw anyone mention another game or talk about anything other than GW2. Not even when I was hanging out in the cities, or in areas with a high saturation of players. The community was great!

Do you reckon a wider chat net would hurt the experience?

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

local actually covered more area then you might be giving credit, plus I did travel to a lot of area's and asked a lot of questions.

the point is "when conversation was noticed it was about GW2, not Tera, or any other game"  That was not the case in the other examples I gave,  Even in local area chats in Tera it was about complaning how horrible the game was and or about something to do with Guild Wars 2. 

Also within Divinitys Reach it seemed as if you could talk to anyone within the town in local.

none the less no matter which area I ported to when there was conversations going on they were not about other games and not negative typically.   Aside from people complaining about Beta Bugs.

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190

I noticed the same and a few other people commmented on it as well.  I was surprised by the gold spammers already in the game starting with a T during beta.  Fortunately non of that in GW2 either.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by kujii

I noticed the same and a few other people commmented on it as well.  I was surprised by the gold spammers already in the game starting with a T during beta.  Fortunately non of that in GW2 either.

gold spammers are  kinda uneeded as  all gems are selable for gold. unless they are selling more bulk for less money. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Yeah OP, it's kinda like all these threads & post on the forums comparing the two games...Lol.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Originally posted by fiontar

You could see it in the starter area.  There were some people trolling about WoW flying mounts on Maguuma for a time.

But this is typical Beta stuff.  There are a set of people who never really leave the starting area and they just bitch and bait people.  And it was really quite rare only one real case I can think of.

agreed there will be those types of under bridge dwellers in any game but if they were in BWE they purchased the game so lmao at that. Loved how a lot of peoples initial knee jerk to shoo off someone attacking same mobs is now changing to a welcoming attitude and willingness to rez people when they are down.

I think it stood out most to me because its been so long since an outstanding game has been put to market that its such a rare thing to see in game chat during a beta not be about another game or about how, not beta but how the game sucks.

I'm really happy that GW2 has lived up to everything it was supposed to, wasn't just hype it was word of mouth and personal experiences and for the most part all of which turned out to be true. Can't wait for the next BWE.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by fiontar

Do you reckon a wider chat net would hurt the experience?

absolutely

although sometimes it would be nice to have a global chat. It's a two edged sword  really.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I think but I am not totally sure on this that Team chat is global. The team chat seemed to be for the WvWvW stuff and perhaps it only activates if you spend time in the mists I dont know. I do know I could still read it when I was in the normal pve zones. I did have one bug with one character not being able to chat in the team chat so I am still a little confused on that channel.

On a side note I also did not experience anyone talking about anything except gw2 in any of the chats I was privy to.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I've gotta agree with the OP on this.

Furthermore, apart from ability pinging (which was annoying at times), there's was almost zero chat spam. In TERA the first beta I played was filled with spam about how bad GW2 is. It really got annoying (I wanted to test out TERA, I didn't want to have to see a flame war that mimicked the mmorpg.com forums at times). The 2nd beta for TERA was better, but it was still there. Same thing w/ SWTOR (even at launch), and again, very annoying.

I brought this up, because there are VERY few games I can say this about, when it comes to MMOs. I think the last one I can remember would either be Eve or EQ2. It was definitely a breath of fresh air.

I also don't know if /local was the reason, tbh. It's range wasn't that short (I believe it was basically like a /zone chat), and I travelled around a lot, so I was getting a much broader range of chats (I even started out on a different server). All In all I explored all of the starter race's areas, the main cities, lion's arch, WvW, and a few of the lvl 10-20 areas. I can say the same for all of them, even on the overflow servers.

I know a few weeks back, the favorite flame topic of choice was the Guild War's community. However, I've got to say I MUCH prefer it to barrens chat.

Originally posted by Maelkor

I think but I am not totally sure on this that Team chat is global.

From what I experienced, team chat is global. I know a lot of people weren't using it during the BWE, though. Some said it was bugged, a lot of people didn't seem to know what it was. Afaik, the /team chat works as follows.

You can only use it in the mists, but your whole server can hear it. It could be that mine was just bugged, but I was able to see /team chat even in the PvE areas.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Yea. I was also annoyed by only short range local chat.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by TheTrueKing

For years now I've been playing games, beta testing games, close beta, and such.  For the last 5+ years I've tested quite a few games and the one thing that all of them had in common when it came to in game chat was topics.

(JUST AN OBSERVATION)

Recently I had tested a few games before I was able to play Guild Wars 2 BWE and I noticed this was no different.  Swtor I saw people talking in chat, not about Swtor but about Guild Wars 2. Though in my testing of Swtor I completely enjoyed myself and had a blast in the game, I played for a good 15 hours over that weekend and had a great time.

That same weekend I tested another game that actually forced me into enjoying more time in Swtor but comparing the in game chat was interesting.  Tera's in game chat was filled with people talking about Guild Wars 2.  It didn't really mean anything to me until last weekend. All the Tera's in game chat I saw that had anything to do with Tera was mostly negative.

I spent 47 hours in BWE and the one difference in Guild Wars 2 in game chat that I saw,  no other game was being discussed, all chat I saw was bout Guild Wars 2 and how amazing it was.  Or I didn't see anyone talking at all, i'm assuming it was because they were enjoying the game so much, why? Because a few times I asked, everyone's so quit is it because yall are having fun?  and sure enough everyone exploded into conversation about the amazing experience they were having.

Now before people get all twisted and freak out about the bad that did happen over the BWE with "BETA" issues, the comparing is about in game chat and how over the years most beta's in game chats are about other games unless the game they are in is outstanding.   I found it funny how Tera's in game chat was filled with complaining about TERA and mostly talking about Guild Was 2.  Also in Swtor the same thing even though the game has been out for a while, the in game chat was about Guild Wars 2 and such.  Guild Wars 2 chat was about Guild Wars 2 and mostly positive.

I'm calling BS on your entire post.  I was in both SWTOR and TERA chats for beta on a few different servers for each game.  The topic of conversation was NOT GW2, it was TERA and SWTOR.  And the vast majority of it was nothing but positive for both games.  Of course you had the occasional person bringing up another game, but they were quickly shot down by people enjoying the current game they were playing.  

I think the arrogance of GW2 fans has given them selective memory.  

Originally posted by RebelScum99

"snip"

I'm calling BS on your entire post.  I was in both SWTOR and TERA chats for beta on a few different servers for each game.  The topic of conversation was NOT GW2, it was TERA and SWTOR.  And the vast majority of it was nothing but positive for both games.  

so selective that it was even something noticed and mentioned on gamebreaker.tv   sure buddy what ever. Infact the last Beta in TERA was so spammed with GW2 chat it was sadly pathetic.  No need to lie about something that is so blatantly obvious.  The experience I'm talking about was just the weekend prior to GW2 BWE I spent all that previous weekend in TERA and Swtor.   Or is it you who turned a blind eye to the GW2 talk in those games because of your rabbid hatred of a game that makes those others feel like trash?

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

(JUST AN OBSERVATION)

That's right, I tested swtor too, and on the chat people were complaining about how similar it was to WoW and Gw2 this and that, etc.

When I tested Tera was the same thing, just people complaining about how similiar to WoW was the quest system, how boring was the starting area and again GW2 bla, bla, bla.....

On the GW2 chat no1 was talking at all and when they say something was about GW2.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Maelkor

I think but I am not totally sure on this that Team chat is global.

From what I experienced, team chat is global. I know a lot of people weren't using it during the BWE, though. Some said it was bugged, a lot of people didn't seem to know what it was. Afaik, the /team chat works as follows.

You can only use it in the mists, but your whole server can hear it. It could be that mine was just bugged, but I was able to see /team chat even in the PvE areas.

Did you try out the Squad chat while in the mists?

Asking because I wasn't there (too busy with pve) and didn't try it out.

When I was in a team the team/party chat worked for me no matter where my team members were which is normal. :)

The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the Guild Chat never worked for me except for one time a member and friend managed to type something in it I could read.

Other than that it always said I don't belong to a guild, even I was the leader and represent was active aswell. :p

Not a biggie though, it's beta after all and it's expected for a thing or two not working to the fullest yet. :)

To the OP:

To be honest in the 300+ mmos I have tested and played through the years, I must say that in most games (most of all the overseas ones), people were asking questions to where to find what or were busy with the game they played most of the time.

There were only very few games that had discussions about other games because mainly "WOW marks" that entered said betas were spreading hate around upon each and every feature trying to make everything related to WOW coming up with the "WOW Clone" arguments even they didn't made sense, because the features these games had, had nothing to do with WOW at all.

It was like running into a garden full with roses and claiming they are all "strawberries" only because everything they see anywhere in this world HAS to be a "clone" of their strawberries. -.-

Anyway, I can confirm though that in the terra beta I was most people were talking positively about guild wars 2 and some terra fans picked up fights with them mostly about the quest and battle system.

I can say that in my opinion I liked both better in guild wars 2 since gw2 offers a more action based battle system and the dynamic events system is more refreshing than "go kill 10 trees", return, "now go get me 5 wood from the same trees", return, "now go kill 20 trees that are the same with a other color and a slightly different name and run back to me AGAIN".

The same thing kept continuing with occassionaly having a "boss battle".

In all battles my mystic did the same sequence:

- standing in range of the enemy

- use skill one

- use skill two while skill one recharges

- use skill three

- when the enemy has reached me and charges a major attack, use the dodge skill you just learned to jump back

- repeat for every single battle, enemy dead, end of story.

The aiming idea was nifty but mostly useless cause after the enemy had come into place you never needed to aim again.

You just were locked on spot using the same sequence of skills till the enemy was dead with no movement needed at all since even bigger enemies barely scratched you and even if then who cares? You spam a big potion and after the cooldown another one if needed.

I played through 3 areas before I let it be and ignored all further beta invitations I got for the following two weeks.

Deinstalled on top of it to make space on my HD.

Whoever likes that, all the power to them.

I know I don't.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by RebelScum99

"snip"

I'm calling BS on your entire post.  I was in both SWTOR and TERA chats for beta on a few different servers for each game.  The topic of conversation was NOT GW2, it was TERA and SWTOR.  And the vast majority of it was nothing but positive for both games.  

so selective that it was even something noticed and mentioned on gamebreaker.tv   sure buddy what ever. Infact the last Beta in TERA was so spammed with GW2 chat it was sadly pathetic.  No need to lie about something that is so blatantly obvious.  The experience I'm talking about was just the weekend prior to GW2 BWE I spent all that previous weekend in TERA and Swtor.   Or is it you who turned a blind eye to the GW2 talk in those games because of your rabbid hatred of a game that makes those others feel like trash?

First of all, what server were you on?  You make these ridiculous claims and back them up with nothing but anectodal evidence from a very obvious fanboy's perspective.  

There weren't many servers to choose from on TERA's beta, so I'm assuming we most likely played on the same one.  And yes, a few people mentioned GW2, and it didn't take long for those folks to be shouted down by everyone else with the "Then go play ******** GW2, then."  And you'd be surprised at the amount of people who had no desire to play GW2, either, btw.  

So again, I'd like to know what server you heard all this gushing over GW2 on, and I'd also like to know what level you made it to.  Because if you  heard it on the Island of Dawn, then I'm just going to go ahead an laugh now, since Island of Dawn was filled with people who had no intention of playing, and were just trolling for kicks during open beta.  Trust me, once you got into the meat of the game, after level 12, nobody gave a shit about GW2.  And SWTOR?  I'm definitely calling BS on that too, because at that point there was no beta scheduled for GW2, no pre-purchase available, and absolutely no idea when the game would be released.  At the time of SWTOR's beta, it was all about SWTOR...period.  It was the new, hot game.  Very little was said about GW2 during SWTOR's beta.  Now, if you're talking about currently, then it wouldn't surprise me if people in SWTOR were talking about any game other than SWTOR, since that game is boring as hell.  

And I find your last sentence very ironic.  It's my alleged hatred for GW2 that makes me turn a blind eye, and yet your gushing love over it is surely based on factual evidence.    

I wonder if other GW2 fans read your stuff and cringe.  Because, sorry to say, the MMO world doesn't revolve around that game, and there are many more good MMOs out there, TERA being one of them.  But the fact that some of the GW2 fans refuse to acknowledge that, and instead spend their times infesting other games to spread the GW2 gospel gives you guys a bad rep in the gaming community.  

My guess is that, of course, there were a few people here and there mentioning GW2.  And you, being a bit biased, took that to indicate EVERYONE was talking about it.  Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if you were intentionally trying to steer conversation in that direction in the vain attempt to troll those games on behalf of your MMO savior.

Originally posted by Raekon

When I was in a team the team/party chat worked for me no matter where my team members were which is normal. :)

The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the Guild Chat never worked for me except for one time a member and friend managed to type something in it I could read.

Other than that it always said I don't belong to a guild, even I was the leader and represent was active aswell. :p

Not a biggie though, it's beta after all and it's expected for a thing or two not working to the fullest yet. :)

No, I didn't. I'm actually very curious of the squad system, as well, but I didn't see any guilds organized enough to take advantage of it on my server. It looked mostly like PUG zergs w/ a few elite groups running around.

I heard about the guild chat being bugged as well, and I know some people had the guild leader bug, where your roster would go blank for no reason. Anet's well aware of that stuff, so I'd expect to see it fixed by the next beta. If you do find out more about squad chat lemme know, and I'll do the same.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Well in Tera they talked about all kinds of games in chat, mostly WoW and yes GW2. At least on the server I was on.

In SWTOR, I hardly saw anyone posting in chat so *shrug*

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmm, actually the only chat i saw that was about another game was a brief blurb about TERA. 

Sadly almost all of the chat was commenting on how bad TERA was compared to GW2. 

I did not hate TERA but after playing the BWE with my family TERA just seemed a bit underwhelming.

Lolipops !

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

OMG BEST GAME EVER!! THEY DONT CHAT ABOUT OTHER GAMES!!

jeez .. fanboy much guys and gals, I mean c'mon you play a little of a NEW in BETA GAME  and having no inmidate omg my old game is better this sux lolz chat makes it stand out and good? 

I bin beta testing and playing mmo's since 1989 (technical not mmo's back then)  and things will never ever change.

people will always compare , people will always complain,people will alway think these are the most anti-social anti-team anti-solo anti-rp(g) anti-anty times ever and the next game will be the bomb , the super golden chicken that chance it all.

relax, have fun, complain in a few weeks. bussiness as usual. and remember , spent one hour a day learning about someitng you dint know to counter  the dumbing of braincells by making pointless (yet can be funny) post adn treads on pointless subjects on the interwebs.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Raekon

No, I didn't. I'm actually very curious of the squad system, as well, but I didn't see any guilds organized enough to take advantage of it on my server. It looked mostly like PUG zergs w/ a few elite groups running around.

I heard about the guild chat being bugged as well, and I know some people had the guild leader bug, where your roster would go blank for no reason. Anet's well aware of that stuff, so I'd expect to see it fixed by the next beta. If you do find out more about squad chat lemme know, and I'll do the same.

Thanks for the info! :)

Otherwise I will let you know asap as I found out if it works in the mists.

I assumed it might cause it didn't worked with a normal party.

I'm on the eternal grove server.

In case you are there just add me in the friendslist as Azero Xeriak or Dumeka Shoren and we can maybe even test it together.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

we were talking/raging about login A LOT but on teamspeak lol