Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not a Sandbox game? No FPS style combat? No FFA PvP setting?

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Unreal024

It amazes me what people try to label a themepark. No, after all these years the TES series has not magically been reclassified as a themepark lol. Sorry man, you may feel differently but it is called and accepted as a sandbox due to the open world. You may not like it or agree with it but apparently your opinion isn't the widely accepted one.

An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.[1] Video games that include such level design often are referred to as "free roam" games.

The term is sometimes used interchangeably with "sandbox" and "free-roaming";[2][3] however, the terms open world and free-roaming describe the game environment itself and allude more to the absence of artificial barriers,[4] in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game.

Despite their name, many open world games still enforce restrictions at some points in the game environment, either due to absolute game design limitations or temporary in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity.

Hell here I'll even give you the above, a wikipedia refference on the matter.

Grand Theft Auto is widely considered a sandbox

UO

TES series

I mean you aren't required to agree but you do need to acknowledge your view on what a sandbox is not the widely accepted one. In accepting that you can see why your comments above are being regarded as incorrect.

Oh, I completely agree. Everyone has differing opionions, my opinion is just based on the actual meaning of the word sandbox. You do agree that in a sandbox (the actual one we all played in as children) it's all about using your imagination to create things? And that, if your going to label something a sandbox it should, by definition, be about creating things, or at least have it as a feature?

Even the paragraph that you posted, which I highlighted in red, points out the diference between sandbox and open world or free roam.

The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game.

You really should read what you highlight before saying it proves your point.

But yeah... by your definition it's not a sandbox unless we have a box with sand that we can make sand castles out of? Why does this younger generation forget that many of these definitions were meant to describe aspects and not to always be taken as a literally translation.

Being from the generation that first used the term in regards to gaming I kind of know what I meant when using the term.

That's strange because as a UO vet we used Unreal024's understanding. The way you understand it is they way it was twisted by marketing departments.

• JeulJeul Member Posts: 5

Ok, instead of arguing over what a sandbox is - can someone tell me where you guys are getting your info on it not having player housing, vampires, etc...?  Pretty please?  :D

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Jeul

Ok, instead of arguing over what a sandbox is - can someone tell me where you guys are getting your info on it not having player housing, vampires, etc...?  Pretty please?  :D

There was a leaked bit of info linked earlier. I don't remember which thread but I think it was in the official announcement article's discussion.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Xzen

It amazes me what people try to label a themepark. No, after all these years the TES series has not magically been reclassified as a themepark lol. Sorry man, you may feel differently but it is called and accepted as a sandbox due to the open world. You may not like it or agree with it but apparently your opinion isn't the widely accepted one.

An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.[1] Video games that include such level design often are referred to as "free roam" games.

The term is sometimes used interchangeably with "sandbox" and "free-roaming";[2][3] however, the terms open world and free-roaming describe the game environment itself and allude more to the absence of artificial barriers,[4] in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game.

Despite their name, many open world games still enforce restrictions at some points in the game environment, either due to absolute game design limitations or temporary in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity.

UO

TES series

I mean you aren't required to agree but you do need to acknowledge your view on what a sandbox is not the widely accepted one. In accepting that you can see why your comments above are being regarded as incorrect.

Oh, I completely agree. Everyone has differing opionions, my opinion is just based on the actual meaning of the word sandbox. You do agree that in a sandbox (the actual one we all played in as children) it's all about using your imagination to create things? And that, if your going to label something a sandbox it should, by definition, be about creating things, or at least have it as a feature?

Even the paragraph that you posted, which I highlighted in red, points out the diference between sandbox and open world or free roam.

The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game.

But yeah... by your definition it's not a sandbox unless we have a box with sand that we can make sand castles out of? Why does this younger generation forget that many of these definitions were meant to describe aspects and not to always be taken as a literally translation.

Being from the generation that first used the term in regards to gaming I kind of know what I meant when using the term.

That's strange because as a UO vet we used Unreal024's understanding. The way you understand it is they way it was twisted by marketing departments.

Alright then lets just say this....

In the TES series if you wanted a house you got a house wether you killed someone and took one, bought one or found one empty. If you wanted to kill off an entire town you could. If you wanted to do the main quest you could. If you wanted to make a warrior that could cast spells and summon creatures you could. You could do what you want, you could do it the way you want, you had plently of creativity allowed, customization, and freedom.

If you don't understand how that makes the TES series sandbox I can't help you.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

The problem is, the hard core Sandboxers have gone to extremes when defining what a  Sandbox is, so that if a game truely had all thing elements that they define as "Sandbox," it would either be totally unplayable; or it would be "Second Life" and not really a game at all.

Not at all, there's no extreme here, the only thing is, TES has never really offered (in package) what consititutes the key to the word sandbox, world related creation and tools for it. There are other descriptors made that apply much more to what TES is, non-linear, freee roaming, open-ended, and yes even IMO themepark in some regard (themepark doesn't exactly mean linear, it's in reference to themed rides which TES has in spades).

You can have all that TES is and not be a sandbox, you can have all that TES is and be a sandbox, with a few additions. This is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Well since we now have that subject covered. The next one is, Will the Elder Scroll game give us the freedom that the single player did Or, at the very least, as much freedom as they can given the multiplayer restrictions. I am worried that the Elder Scrolls game will be "Elder Scrolls" in name only. 

You're going to have to google for scans from the gameinformer magazine. We're not allowed to post them or link to them.

UO

TES series

In the TES series if you wanted a house you got a house wether you killed someone and took one, bought one or found one empty. If you wanted to kill off an entire town you could. If you wanted to do the main quest you could. If you wanted to make a warrior that could cast spells and summon creatures you could. You could do what you want, you could do it the way you want, you had plently of creativity allowed, customization, and freedom.

It's because none of those things are creating anything thing. As a player can I build a house? A boat? Can I change the landscape? Everything you mention is in Fable as well and I don't consider that sandbox either.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

The first part of the post's title is disappointing.  No FPS combat and no FFA PvP are *enormous* pluses in my book.  3 faction PvP > FFA PvP.  If I wanted FPS style combat Id go play a FPS, doesnt gel with a MMORPG to me.

UO

TES series

It's because none of those things are creating anything thing. As a player can I build a house? A boat? Can I change the landscape? Everything you mention is in Fable as well and I don't consider that sandbox either.

Well at least we agree on fable lol. So maybe you aren't a completely lost cause.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Distopia

The problem is, the hard core Sandboxers have gone to extremes when defining what a  Sandbox is, so that if a game truely had all thing elements that they define as "Sandbox," it would either be totally unplayable; or it would be "Second Life" and not really a game at all.

Not at all, there's no extreme here, the only thing is, TES has never really offered (in package) what consititutes the key to the word sandbox, world related creation and tools for it. There are other descriptors made that apply much more to what TES is, non-linear, freee roaming, open-ended, and yes even IMO themepark in some regard (themepark doesn't exactly mean linear, it's in reference to themed rides which TES has in spades).

You can have all that TES is and not be a sandbox, you can have all that TES is and be a sandbox, with a few additions. This is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Well since we now have that subject covered. The next one is, Will the Elder Scroll game give us the freedom that the single player did Or, at the very least, as much freedom as they can given the multiplayer restrictions. I am worried that the Elder Scrolls game will be "Elder Scrolls" in name only. 

Who knows at this point, TBH right now I"m far more interested in the lore richness of the game, every release thus far has added quite a bit of structure and backbone to the history of Tamriel. Through main plots, sub plots, and of course books.

The era they've chosen has a lot to offer in this regard. If there's any MMO story I'm interested in it's this one. That's probably just me though, I'm a TES lore junky.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

No housing, no player vampires, no player werewolves, no freedom to join the faction you want as the race you want, there's many TES mechanics that seem to be missing.
    I may be missing something, but none of the information I've read yet states any of this.  Where are you getting this info?

Making a new account isn't going to help you man lol. Continue the discussion on your main if you really want to continue.

I've never posted here.  I was referred here by one of my guildies. 

Anyways... can you answer my question?  I'm not being rude or anything... just asking.

What information do you seek again friend?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Bainwalker

Title says it all.  For them not to make TES: Online into what it rightfully should be is a joke beyond the ages.

Anyone agree?

No housing, no player vampires, no player werewolves, no freedom to join the faction you want as the race you want, there's many TES mechanics that seem to be missing.

did they say all that is missing? ill keep playing Skyrim then... thank you

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

TES is a sandpark. It has a lot of sandbox elements, but also has linear gameplay as well. Leveling system questing etc.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Title says it all.  For them not to make TES: Online into what it rightfully should be is a joke beyond the ages.

Anyone agree?

I disagree OP. FFA PVP? Go play Darkfall and come back and tell us all how Elder scrolls should be like that. No everyone feels a gankfeast is fun, as can be seen from DF's 4-5k subscribers.

Anyone agree?

PROOF  or STFU

Really the games not gonna be out for what 3+ more years and already your pulling facts out of thin air.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

*Facepalms  God I hate sandboxers......this game is not going to be a sandbox...ugh.... Anybody that played Morrowind, Skyrim and Obilvion would know that already...those games did not play like a single player SWG. So why would this mmo be any different?

Common sense....oh how I desire you be more common....

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

The game was just revealed today, why not give it at least 48 hours before you start in with the naysayer threads and doom and gloom posts.

It's this type of rhetoric that causes months of hate threads on this forum, be a part of the solution, not the problem.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

The only thing they can get rid off as far as I'm concerned is teleporting. Instead they should add mounted combat. :)

• OaahbmOaahbm Member UncommonPosts: 2

Originally posted by Kost

The game was just revealed today, why not give it at least 48 hours before you start in with the naysayer threads and doom and gloom posts.

It's this type of rhetoric that causes months of hate threads on this forum, be a part of the solution, not the problem.

The 'problem' is bad games, not hate posts. And offering community to shut up abot it doesn't help at all.

Originally posted by winter

Anyone agree?

PROOF  or STFU

Really the games not gonna be out for what 3+ more years and already your pulling facts out of thin air.

Your kidding right?

Unless you think this is all a hoax, then here you go.

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

And as far as release date they are talking about a 2013 release date. So....

Originally posted by Vunak23

TES is a sandpark. It has a lot of sandbox elements, but also has linear gameplay as well. Leveling system questing etc.

I can go with that.

Originally posted by Oaahbm

The 'problem' is bad games, not hate posts. And offering community to shut up abot it doesn't help at all.

As the guy states the games only been revealed some 48 hours ago, also will not be out for some 3+ years and already it has a few people nerdraging/hate posting that it won't have player mod controls allowing any and every player to completely change the MMO on the fly whenever they want because TES did. Thats not constructive thats insane. and the games not even very far along in developement how can you say its a bad game?

Originally posted by Oaahbm

As the guy states the games only been revealed some 48 hours ago, also will not be out for some 3+ years and already it has a few people nerdraging/hate posting that it won't have player mod controls allowing any and every player to completely change the MMO on the fly whenever they want because TES did. Thats not constructive thats insane. and the games not even very far along in developement how can you say its a bad game?

The games been in development for several years already, the projected launch date is in 2013.  And what you have is a bunch of people complaining that many core features or mechanics from TES series are being removed. Again check the link I provided and scroll down. Lastly, pray that we are all being rick rolled by a master troll.

The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

The "Guy" can say what he wants but he doesn't have his facts straight so I would pick someone else to listen too lol.

Anyone agree?

PROOF  or STFU

Your kidding right?

Unless you think this is all a hoax, then here you go.

And as far as release date they are talking about a 2013 release date. So....

thanks Grey for finally posting your information. It only took what 3-4 diferent players asking how many times? As the actual no housing no vampire bit was somewhat hidden in a small little hyperlink at the end maybe you can see how some of us might have missed it. I still don't see the relase date in thate article but may have missed it. While seriously i could care less about housing or being a vampire in TES:online (really both were done poorly enough in skyrim IMO that they won't be missed) I do find it hard to belive the game will be out next year. So Grey want to make a bet it won't be out in 2013? If it is then I'd say we have more to worry about then just lack of player housing and weither or not you can be a vampire.

Some factions do not allow some races' which if anything makes more sense to me and fleshes out the factions more realistically to me. You want to be a chaotic-evil orc assassin perhaps you shouldn't expect the law-good knights of light to let you join? :P

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 621

Ive just read the entire cover story article, and i must say that im quite excited. The 20-page article lays out quite a bit of the direction they are focusing on. The game is going heavily in the direction GW2 went, instead of trying to follow after the decade old model of WoW that games like Rift were built on. Removing things like quest hubs and direction-driven story, the player is going to be given alot more freedom of what events they partake in and when (still limited by level of course). 

Everything from the event driven, and exploration rewarding PVE gameplay to the 3 faction, siege warfare of V8, TESO is taking alot of what makes GW2 stand out from WoW-clones and putting thier own spin on it. Adding things like a political system into the WvWvW to capture the Imperial Throne and crown the highest contributing player "Emporer". And making use of smaller hotbars to increase the effectiveness of those skills and making your choice in what skills you use more meaningful.

I also love the fact they have chosen to include both instanced dungeons and open world, noninstanced dungeons to add variety. And everything from small group heroic content to larger, multi-group raid content (the one thing i think GW2 is missing and hope they add in future expansions).

TESO has the potential to be everything GW2 is now and then some. Theres no doubt they could make the best MMO to date whenever they get it finished. In the meantime, enjoy GW2, and learn the ins and outs of what make it different from every other MMO in the last decade, because it looks like we will see more taking on that direction. I cant wait!