Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people excited for an Elder Scrolls MMO?

Comments

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Originally posted by SaintGraye

Originally posted by nomatics856

Remember what happened last time we took a great single player RPG and turned it into an MMO?

We got Ultima Online.

Nice comment smart ass, you know what I meant. The UO and EQ era are dead. I am talking in the WoWesq era.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Originally posted by rungard

Originally posted by burning

well if this IS the leaked scans of the magazine i say they need to throw it in the trash!

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

I do love mmo's and elder scrolls, but ill be extremely honest that if that information is correct, it looks like shit.

3rd person? standard mmo controls? WTF!!!!!

And if someone decided to make a SPRPG out of an MMO, the roles would be reversed. Why is this concept of transition so hard to comprehend. It's not a SPRPG, it's an MMO, thus it will use MMOesque UI and camera view. MMOs don't have to have FPS style combat to be successful. Probably a good idea anyway since everyone knows, any MMO with FPS style combat immediately turns into a hackfest.

There's no such thing as MMOeswue perspective.  Why make an MMO if you're just going to do what every other MMO does. Again, my mario brothers analogy. Why make a platform game if you just are going to have the guy jump on mushrooms and shoot fireballs. Where is the Braid like innovation.

Every innovative MMO that has ever been released has not been attached to an already established IP from another genre. 

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164

I doubt anyone's too excited about something that's 2+ years away....the question is OP, why are you so excited about it?

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Part of me hopes this is a great game, and another part of me shudders at the damage that can be done.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Originally posted by SaintGraye

Remember what happened last time we took a great single player RPG and turned it into an MMO?

We got Ultima Online.

Nice comment smart ass, you know what I meant. The UO and EQ era are dead. I am talking in the WoWesq era.

For the record, UO was an AWFUL representation of the ultimate single player game.  IT was just the first real mmo, and that's all it had going for it. 

I hated it, there was no quest for the avatar or any of the cool staples that made it my favorite game in the world.  The coolest thing about ultima, in the series, is that was so none combat based for major goals. To become the avatar you had to solve a series of puzzlesl. All that was devoid in the mmo.  

• frispfrisp Member UncommonPosts: 30

Originally posted by ace80k

People just love to hate. .

So true - the game has just been announced and we have the "crapping on it from a great height" brigade already.

I would love to see it succeed, one of the best RPG series ever made. I do have some reservations, but, I do hope they'll do it justice.

regards

frisp

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by dontadow

O

Every MMO i have ever played has had open world dungeons.  (this game, like others has open world dungeons and instanced dungeons) Fully interactive wold, been done before. NPC DIalogue, done before as well.  

This game, as described is not an elders scroll game. 

Hot bars? PVP? third person perspective? character classes? 

Yes and GW2 isn't like GW1 this meant a bad game? When making an actual MMO conventions from another genre do not always fit. TES games have always had classes btw, you can create your own, but classes have always been in there some where. (just look at the CS.... every NPC has a class)

IT's far too early to write an entire game off based on a few paragraphs from an article. Far too early.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Dyrtt

I'm guardedly optimistic.  I love the Elder Scrolls games and have always wanted to be able to adventure along with a friend in that universe. 

I am a little perplexed at the pvp aspects of the game.  It's not 3-way pvp thing (I prefer that to just two factions), I just don't know how pvp will fit into the lore.  But, I'll wait to see exactly how it's implemented before I make judgement. 

Ridiculous that even the brilliant minds behind Elder Scrolls have no clue about 3 factions.  Personally, 2 factions are so limited I'd say just do it Shadowbane style - or guild vs guild.  Two factions are just a rotten pvp concept that end up with one overpowered side each and every time - or just a boring stalemate between two roughly equal factions.  Either way, it's boring.

Get with it folks.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Im really excited for it, just glancing at the first page of the magazine article makes me really excited! 

Its easy to say, "oh its just another crap themepark", but these are what mmo's are, if your not a mmo fan you shouldnt be here.  New games will come along, were not at the point in time though where thats happening for everyone, were in Themepark times still, be happy about it. 

I Really cant wait to buy this freakin game, Iv held off playing all the TES games in the past by just watching walkthroughs on youtube but this is what I love, Im an MMO fan so this is perfect time to start.

Also, there are people out there that dont do the single player thing, this is a great idea to start something new for people like me that are all about the online expierence.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

because Skyrim delived? They can only go wrong with elder scrolls if it is not a sandbox. I'm only excited because I am hoping that it won't be another themepark... if it is.. all hype will vanish

Originally posted by Comaf

Originally posted by Dyrtt

I'm guardedly optimistic.  I love the Elder Scrolls games and have always wanted to be able to adventure along with a friend in that universe. 

I am a little perplexed at the pvp aspects of the game.  It's not 3-way pvp thing (I prefer that to just two factions), I just don't know how pvp will fit into the lore.  But, I'll wait to see exactly how it's implemented before I make judgement. 

Ridiculous that even the brilliant minds behind Elder Scrolls have no clue about 3 factions.  Personally, 2 factions are so limited I'd say just do it Shadowbane style - or guild vs guild.  Two factions are just a rotten pvp concept that end up with one overpowered side each and every time - or just a boring stalemate between two roughly equal factions.  Either way, it's boring.

Get with it folks.

The person lead designing this MMO is one of the guys behind DAOC's RVR. Not those behind the elder scrolls. Anyway to the guy above there have always been major factions at war throughtout the TES games, PVP isn't out of place considering that.

Originally posted by pacov

because Skyrim delived? They can only go wrong with elder scrolls if it is not a sandbox. I'm only excited because I am hoping that it won't be another themepark... if it is.. all hype will vanish

TEs games have never been full on sandboxes, there's no world building or tools for it in these games. IF anything they've resembled offline MMO's, quest hub MMO's.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

And I have to excitedely correct myself!  I went to this site:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

Check out the quick blurb about THREE pvp factions.  That's right folks!

Divorce incoming, sigh.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Why are people excited for an Elder Scrolls MMO?

Because I wont be satisfied until me and 100 other people can simultaneously drop 5000 cheese wheels off a waterfall.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by Distopia

TEs games have never been full on sandboxes, there's no world building or tools for it in these games. IF anything they've resembled offline MMO's, quest hub MMO's.

its still sandbox... I can go where ever i want to because the game does not restrict anything nor holds your hand to progress your character. And there is tools to build the game... mods anyone?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Before you guys get too carried away with rumors you should go read the article at Game informer where you'll learn, for example, that IT WILL BE 3 WAY RVR.

"An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

its still sandbox... I can go where ever i want to because the game does not restrict anything nor holds your hand to progress your character. And since when do sandbox games must have building houses?

That's because todays TES games use a level scaling AI system, in Morrowind as an example going somewhere you weren't supposed to meant instant death. Not all that different than an open-world themepark.

I don't consider free roaming to mean sandbox.

Cyrodill is such a.... bland and overused environment... I mean forest after forest? I hope they include provinces that have not been in the last three series

Originally posted by Comaf

And I have to excitedely correct myself!  I went to this site:

Check out the quick blurb about THREE pvp factions.  That's right folks!

Divorce incoming, sigh.

I really didn't think you were arguing it was two faction earlier, I thought I was confused by your wording, but yeah it's three faction designed by one of the fathers of true RVR.

Originally posted by dontadow

O

Every MMO i have ever played has had open world dungeons.  (this game, like others has open world dungeons and instanced dungeons) Fully interactive wold, been done before. NPC DIalogue, done before as well.  

This game, as described is not an elders scroll game. 

Hot bars? PVP? third person perspective? character classes? 

Yes and GW2 isn't like GW1 this meant a bad game? When making an actual MMO conventions from another genre do not always fit. TES games have always had classes btw, you can create your own, but classes have always been in there some where. (just look at the CS.... every NPC has a class)

IT's far too early to write an entire game off based on a few paragraphs from an article. Far too early.

If an MMO is suppose to be a single player (both gw and gw2 are catagorized as multiplayer) then it needs to capture the single player experience.  At no point did ultima capture that experience. If it had, I guarantee you we'd have a different genre right now. The mere fact that millions of people can flock to games like mass effect 3 and skyrim, and yet leave the current crop of mmos to fight over the stale player base is proof that mmorpgs has lost the idea of rpgs.

Hell, the fact that mmorpgs are marketed to nonrpg lovers is proof of this.  It's why they stick rpgers on 2 or 3 servers far away from the other folk.  

Also, for the record, GW 2, particuarlly the dungeons and harder dynamics,  (oh my god and the skill challenges) has a lot of that old GW 1 puzzle quest feal to it.  ).  

Cyrodill is such a.... bland and overused environment... I mean forest after forest? I hope they include provinces that have not been in the last three series

From that article it seemed they will have more than just Cyrodil (unless I misread something), I'm hoping to see Elsweyr for one.

its still sandbox... I can go where ever i want to because the game does not restrict anything nor holds your hand to progress your character. And since when do sandbox games must have building houses?

That's because todays TES games use a level scaling AI system, in Morrowind as an example going somewhere you weren't supposed to meant instant death. Not all that different than an open-world themepark.

I don't consider free roaming to mean sandbox.

That is the issue lol... sandbox is such a rare form of mmo game that there is no real definiton of it.. or at least way too many variants.

and btw I was able to complete morrowind without doing any story line missions... I was simply exploring the world and was lucky to find dwarven armor near the volcano. after that I could pretty much kill anything except the final boss because I did not have the final items.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

Well crap...I totally missed out on being the first person to proclaim my hatred. Can I get on the 'mainstream', 'dumbed-down', or 'wow clone' bandwagons or have those filled up already too?

Ah well, barring all that, I have to echo what another poster said: (paraphrase) with so little info out, why not be excited?

What does it hurt? It doesn't cost anything to be excited at this point and worst case, more info comes out and, if that info is a deal breaker, move on. There is certainly no harm in being excited. Now, if they were selling pre-orders already, then man the battle stations! :)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

That is the issue lol... sandbox is such a rare form of mmo game that there is no real definiton of it.. or at least way too many variants.

and btw I was able to complete morrowind without doing any story line missions... I was simply exploring the world and was lucky to find dwarven armor near the volcano. after that I could pretty much kill anything except the final boss because I did not have the final items.

(yellow) True..

Sure you can level a character through many different means in Morrowind, still, depending on the mob though some are insant one shot killers to an underleveled toon regardless of equipment.

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

Well if the info on the xbigy games site is correct, then my interest is piqued. I could live with some TES game mechanic changes, for some DAoC style three way RvR action.

It could be a very good game if they do it right. They have the talent, so there is hope.