Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Great Expectations...Met

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Jayaris

This is true, but this is the bare minimum socializing - Not 'effortlessly social'.

Or though I suppose he could of meant, that there was no social effort. In which case his descriptio was apt..

I think "effortlessly social" in this case, means that you do not have to go out of your way in order to interact with other players. You don't have to look for a group or meet a certain criteria like level range or gear quality. You basically just go and play with others.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Perfect article for getting accross what makes GW2 so compelling and unique, with out getting too bogged down in trying to explain all the fine details.

Probably one of the best, short articles to show to friends who don't know much about GW2 yet.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Jayaris

This is true, but this is the bare minimum socializing - Not 'effortlessly social'.

Or though I suppose he could of meant, that there was no social effort. In which case his descriptio was apt..

I think "effortlessly social" in this case, means that you do not have to go out of your way in order to interact with other players. You don't have to look for a group or meet a certain criteria like level range or gear quality. You basically just go and play with others.

Correct. I wasn't saying that you couldn't do the whole LFG thing, group up, chat, etc. I was trying to illustrate that the barriers to entry for social interaction are so low you can simply just go out and do something solo and end up playing with others towards common goals.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I like how for everyone that says "I haven't played it cuz it sucks" there's 10 people saying "I've played it and I loved it!"

Dat haterade be delicious, yo.

Article was spot on with how I felt. I kept waiting for the shoe to drop, I kept waiting to get to that point where I'm "settling" for things that were announced but didn't play as advertised, I kept waiting to have to make excuses. But it's exactly the great game I was expecting, if not better. Honestly, if these betas weren't weekend only and so sporadic, I'd never get anything done. I'd be playing the game non-stop.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by Nethermancer

Guild Wars 2 is so good that i feel no need to argue with the haters.

This.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by MikeB

Correct. I wasn't saying that you couldn't do the whole LFG thing, group up, chat, etc. I was trying to illustrate that the barriers to entry for social interaction are so low you can simply just go out and do something solo and end up playing with others towards common goals.

What goals exactly? Why should I go after these goals at end game? Why should I leave these big cities at end game? What role do these cities serve at end game?

SO obvious questions just being blatantly ignored

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by k-damage

This.

Same here.  I've begun phasing myself out from the forums, much to the delight of some I'm sure.  I'm satisfied with the game and since the suspense has been lifted and the beta was overwhelmingly popular, I really don't feel the desire to watch people hate for hate's sake, and I've been simply blocking them so I can continue the decent discussions with the reasonable posters, ie: not the Tera fan who sent me hate mail on this site today filled with personal insults because I didn't like what he likes.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by k-damage

This.

Same here.  I've begun phasing myself out from the forums, much to the delight of some I'm sure.  I'm satisfied with the game and since the suspense has been lifted and the beta was overwhelmingly popular, I really don't feel the desire to watch people hate for hate's sake, and I've been simply blocking them so I can continue the decent discussions with the reasonable posters, ie: not the Tera fan who sent me hate mail on this site today filled with personal insults because I didn't like what he likes.

They don't bother me. I figure since I can't WvW I will practice pvp here until I can.

Originally posted by Saxx0n

They don't bother me. I figure since I can't WvW I will practice pvp here until I can.

lol  I guess that works too.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I'm not terribly impressed.  The only class that felt fun to me was the Guardian.  The Ranger would be right up there with it if the game didn't have such a weak and pointless pet system.  The rest of the classes felt incredibly weak and squishy and some, like the Elementalist and Engineer, downright frustrating as hell.  It's really hard for me to even give the rest of the game a chance when the most basic and integral part of it tends to be annoying at best.  That's before I even have to deal with a combat system that doesn't really appeal to me in the first place.

After the first hour or so, I was really starting to hate the required circle / strafe combat.  I knew going in that this could be an issue for me, but it really does contrast my preference for old school MMO combat mechanics versus this new breed of console style MMO now dominating the market and I'm beginning to realize my preferred play style may be seeing it's last days in the genre.

• badgererbadgerer Member Posts: 90

There's been such a collossal increase in the volume of coverage of upcoming mmorpgs that a shrewd punter who has the appetite for it can actually get a pretty close approximation of the experience, which makes expectations much easier to meet.

Being one of those individuals (though not always shrewd) meant that my expectations were entirely met, with only a few details, and the overall vibe which you can only get when you're behind the controls, to round out the experience.

Oh, and I really loved the game. Its very satisfying (and unusual these days) to have such high expectations met.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Vorthanion

After the first hour or so, I was really starting to hate the required circle / strafe combat.  I knew going in that this could be an issue for me, but it really does contrast my preference for old school MMO combat mechanics versus this new breed of console style MMO now dominating the market and I'm beginning to realize my preferred play style may be seeing it's last days in the genre.

I'm sure you'll fine a game that has the devolution of combat mechanics you are looking for!

All this... trying is HARD! Right?

After the first hour or so, I was really starting to hate the required circle / strafe combat.  I knew going in that this could be an issue for me, but it really does contrast my preference for old school MMO combat mechanics

Not trying to be rude, but by that, do you mean... well, not taking much damage and having a hundred things that can save you from dying even if you do take damage?  That's what old school is to me.  I'm glad things are changing.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I'm not terribly impressed.  The only class that felt fun to me was the Guardian.  The Ranger would be right up there with it if the game didn't have such a weak and pointless pet system.  The rest of the classes felt incredibly weak and squishy and some, like the Elementalist and Engineer, downright frustrating as hell.  It's really hard for me to even give the rest of the game a chance when the most basic and integral part of it tends to be annoying at best.  That's before I even have to deal with a combat system that doesn't really appeal to me in the first place.

After playing GW2, I can't even go back to the standard combat anymore. It puts me to sleep. But to each their own I guess.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

I played the beta and I liked the game and will likely play it on release.

However, I question the perception that this game is in any way outside the norm and innovative to the point that people seem to be posting.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by Quesa

I played the beta and I liked the game and will likely play it on release.

However, I question the perception that this game is in any way outside the norm and innovative to the point that people seem to be posting.

Really? If there's already a game that plays like this could you point me to it? I'd love something equally as good to hold me over untill GW2 releases. 

I think the fact that there's nothing you could possibly point to, without sounding a bit silly, that compares with this on any level speaks volumes. 

I hated GW1 and was pretty slow to even bother checking GW2 out, but I'm very glad I did. Denying that it plays a lot differently than everything else we've been offered in recent years is simply foolish, who exactly are you trying to convince? Obviously those that have played it are pretty blown away by what they've seen, so who could you possibly be trying to convince?

Personally, I've been disappointed time and again with nearly everything after EQ & DAoC, so many games with potential have come and gone without ever reaching their potential, it's nice to be so impressed with something for what it is rather than what it could be, for a change.

You'd really have to go out of your way to force this game to play like any of the recent clones, which I'd imagine is where some people may be going  wrong. Sure, you can keep fighting it,  but why would you want to short change yourself like that in the name of perpetuating bad mechanics?

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

I have actually seen posts that defend grind-oriented games and criticize GW2 for not following that path.  Good for you Anet!

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Can you get some better machines for the staff the standard of the screens when not press pack screenshots are woeful.

Thanks for deleting my previous comments simply pointing out that you have said the exact same about every other AAA release for the past 2 years since the site "sold out"

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Can't say I disagree,  if i want action combat I play BF3,  MMO's have always been chill chat and button bash for me,  can't say I enjoy this action combat hard on the genre currently has it sharp gets boring and just plain tedious when your playing for any length of time.

I said it when AOC came out with its system and I'll say it again utilise both systems with debuffs for using a traditional style,  this allows you to chill relax and chat on standard PVE faire whislt using the better mor eon your toes system for raids pvp etc

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Saxx0n

[mod edit]

Actually it has the best endgame to come out since DAoC. WvW is the most dynamic player driven endgame in the genre to date.

MikeB is only one of thousands of people that feel the exact same way.

If you feel a hamster wheel gear grind is endgame there are plenty to choose from go have fun.

GW2 is gonna set the mmo world on it's head. I think that is what fuels these type of posts. It makes you look desparate and scared.

You really think that WvW which is confined to one (seemingly very large) zone is more dynamic that the endgame 0.0 of Eve or the economy of Eve?  Really?  I guess you could say it is the most dynamic themepark endgame, but I still would have given that to DAOC, but to each their own.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    I still dont know how people plan to make this their main mmo. You level to cap in a week, do some wvw, and then do the few explorer mode dungeons... Then what? There are no goals in this game, and dynamic events are only slightly better than quest grinding. I boughg the game because im sure itll give me a few weeks of entertainment, but lets be realistic here people. Also for people saying there are no other games out there like gw2, Warhammer Online was very similar.
  • st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155

Met?  Hardly.  Did we even play the same game last weekend?  I've been waiting for a chance ot play GW2 and I was extremely excited to do so and when I finally got the chance I was utterly disappointed.

First, the game has ZERO direction.  Yes, I know it is more of a sandbox than themepark and I could "find" the dynamic events on the map, but the events were much more boring that grabbing a quest to kill 10 rats - and they often took longer than such quest.  Then when you finish these dynamic events you get squat for your time - a couple copper pieces, no gear to help you along the way.

Sitting there spamming a single skill to learn a second is one of the most retarded "features" I have yet to encounter in a MMO.  You're not learning to play a character or even beginning to learn a good spell rotation when you are limited to a single spell for a few levels and then you are limited to two as you have to learn the third as well.  I'd rather pay a trainer to learn a ability.

The graphics?  I've been seeing all of this beautiful concept art knowing the capabilities of ArenaNet artist and THAT is the graphics I get?  They look horrible even compared to something like TOR which is not out of this world.

Needless to say I am glad I got my beta pass from PAX and not from pre-ordering as I don't have to waste my time getting my money back from the pre-order.

• Sp1dersbaneSp1dersbane Member Posts: 49
    Great article.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by st3v3b0

Met?  Hardly.  Did we even play the same game last weekend?  I've been waiting for a chance ot play GW2 and I was extremely excited to do so and when I finally got the chance I was utterly disappointed.

First, the game has ZERO direction.  Yes, I know it is more of a sandbox than themepark and I could "find" the dynamic events on the map, but the events were much more boring that grabbing a quest to kill 10 rats - and they often took longer than such quest.  Then when you finish these dynamic events you get squat for your time - a couple copper pieces, no gear to help you along the way.

Sitting there spamming a single skill to learn a second is one of the most retarded "features" I have yet to encounter in a MMO.  You're not learning to play a character or even beginning to learn a good spell rotation when you are limited to a single spell for a few levels and then you are limited to two as you have to learn the third as well.  I'd rather pay a trainer to learn a ability.

The graphics?  I've been seeing all of this beautiful concept art knowing the capabilities of ArenaNet artist and THAT is the graphics I get?  They look horrible even compared to something like TOR which is not out of this world.

Needless to say I am glad I got my beta pass from PAX and not from pre-ordering as I don't have to waste my time getting my money back from the pre-order.

1.  So pretty much the game does not hold your hand.  One of the main complaints about easy mode mmos.  However, they do give you some direction - Scouts and Renown Hearts.  They give even pop a scout right in your face the moment you leave the tutorial. :/  Further,  I can tell you just played lower lvls since you say you only gained copper.  Once you get into the teens you gain silver.  Imagine that,  progression!  Also, they give you karma from DEs for a reason.  It gives you the ability to pick and choose the gear you want without sitting for a specific DE to come to gain a specific piece of gear.  They want you to go out and explore.

2. I gained all my abilites within 20 minutes for a weapon.  Soooo, what you are saying it would be faster to go to a trainer for the skills.  However, you have to gain lvls to get said skills in the first place.  Which would easily take longer that learning skills in GW2.  Also, you seem to want rotations rather than using skill to determine when would be the best time to use a skill.  

3. Your opinion, but, for some reason I can only laugh at this statement.

BOOYAKA!

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

* This post has been censured by The Great Censor *

Even if the game won't meet my fun factor expectations I won't regret buying it.