Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people excited for an Elder Scrolls MMO?

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Remember what happened last time we took a great single player RPG and turned it into an MMO?

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

After reading more about it I'm not excited for it one bit. I don't even consider it to be an Elder Scrolls game.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I am not really excited at all.  I am guessing this means they will no longer be making any more Elder Scrolls single player RPGS?  Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are three of my favorite games, was looking forward to playing more of the series.  I liked the fact I had one game that was not tainted by online play (please don't get me wrong, I love online games, multiplayer, MMOs, etc, just like being able to escape it once in a while).  The game sounds great on paper, but so did SWTOR. 

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

I'm guardedly optimistic.  I love the Elder Scrolls games and have always wanted to be able to adventure along with a friend in that universe. 

I am a little perplexed at the pvp aspects of the game.  It's not 3-way pvp thing (I prefer that to just two factions), I just don't know how pvp will fit into the lore.  But, I'll wait to see exactly how it's implemented before I make judgement. 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Because GW2 hasn't saved the world?
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by nomatics856

Remember what happened last time we took a great single player RPG and turned it into an MMO?

I agree.  normally i would go nuts over something like this, but i'm really not this time.  I'm actually a bit worried about the franchise now, however it's a bit too early to really make judgements like that.  The idea is amazing but wishful thinking. It will most likely never be what i want it to be.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I'm excited for the possibility that it has. Give it time and we will see what will come from it, but it has potential to be a great game. We don't know hardly anything about it yet, i've seen what appears to be the leaked cover story, but would rather wait till the actual thing comes out just to be sure. I really prefer the setting of The Elder Scrolls more than most any other games. They get their worlds done really really well.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I am not excited at all. As much as I love TES games they should not be trying to make an MMO out of what is a great single player series.

I hope they pull off the greatest MMO of all time with it and I have to eat my words. But i fear it will be another half assed MMO & money grab off the IP just like TOR which will ruin TES single player games most of us love.

I pray I am wrong, but somehow dont think I will be =(

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Originally posted by Xzen

After reading more about it I'm not excited for it one bit. I don't even consider it to be an Elder Scrolls game.

Sadly this :(

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Are there any good articles about this?

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Yeah... but this isn't SWTOR. I'm not saying we need to get excited for it but I don't think we should discredit this game because TOR didn't live up to the expectations.

• burningburning Member UncommonPosts: 10

well if this IS the leaked scans of the magazine i say they need to throw it in the trash!

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

You know absolutely nothing about the game. Therefore you have no reason to NOT be excited imo, unless you absolutely hate Elder Scroll games, and if that's the case, then you probably shouldn't be viewing this website in the first place. Remember, Zenimax is making the MMO, not Bethesda. Bethesda will most likely continue making single player RPGs. People just love to hate. "This might happen or that might happen", "they'll screw this or that up", "there's no way this could be a good game" they're all assumptions. You all will talk talk talk, but if you feel the need to view and post on this website, then there's a pretty darn good chance that you'll play the game anyway. Don't kid yourselves. We're talking about a game franchise that has earned multiple "game of the year" games, that's why you should be excited. Until you know more about the game, just stfu and wait until you're a little more informed before you make idiotic assumptions about why the game won't be good.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by burning

well if this IS the leaked scans of the magazine i say they need to throw it in the trash!

Looks pretty decent to me.

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Originally posted by nomatics856

We got Ultima Online.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Yeah, I don't think I'll get very excited. This seems forced, TES doesn't need to be an MMO.

My hopes for GW2 are still much higher.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Tell me this is not true...

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Little to be excited about in MMO's these days.  Always jumping to the next big thing.  I am sure this will turn out great.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Cautious optimism - as in, too early to tell but it could be something really special.

Realistically, they would have to make adjustments in transtitioning from a SPG to an MMO, but the trouble is that those adjustments may not appeal to a section of their core audience (Elder Scrolls fans as opposed to MMO gamers).

Whether they went with TES or Fallout for their first MMO, they were asking for trouble on that front.

I'll be following this one with interest, Zenimax may not be Bethesda, but they're a sister company, and from the leaked article Bethesda are keeping an eye on the IP for the MMO, so they do have some say.

With my cynics cap on, I can say I hope they're building the biggest QA department possible, since (unless they find a way to incorporate mods into the design) they can't rely on their player community to push bugfixes through in mods. Don't get me wrong, I love me some TES games, but they can be severely buggy experiences. image

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Taking place in a third person environment this time around, players will be utilising a hotbar for various attacks and actions.

So much about TES 'first person' combat :(

Oh... wish i didnt woke up this day at all

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

I do love mmo's and elder scrolls, but ill be extremely honest that if that information is correct, it looks like shit.

3rd person? standard mmo controls? WTF!!!!!

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

It's the world I love. I just want to wander around, find things, kill things and just have an awesome time. Looking forward to seeing how this actually looks and plays.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Your logic doesn't hold.  If A company produces a poor MMO, it doesn't translate that company B would produce a poor MMO.  There is no relationship between the two events.  If they have the same developers, then you could argue the case.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I don't get it, what in that article says it's a "trash" worthy game?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Originally posted by dzoni87

Tell me this is not true...

Tell you what is not true?

Open World Dungeons? Fully Interactive World? Random Events and NPC Dialogues?

Sure, I don't know why they did away with being able to master every skill, since Darkfall did ok with that approach. Regardless, throwing the hammer down this early in the game is pointless. I'm not saying gaming companies aren't absolutely stupid sometimes in what they create, but as long as EA isn't behind it, I'm game.

Every MMO i have ever played has had open world dungeons.  (this game, like others has open world dungeons and instanced dungeons) Fully interactive wold, been done before. NPC DIalogue, done before as well.  

This game, as described is not an elders scroll game. 

Hot bars? PVP? third person perspective? character classes?