Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• DrNo172000DrNo172000 Member Posts: 48

Elder scrolls has always been about freedom.  I would like to see the dev team take some inspiration from Ultima Online.

Also would like to see it take place on the whole continent and not one area of it like the single player games.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

It doesnt mean ANYTHING to the industry yet. How can it without more information than "Hi we are making the game.". Star Trek was going to be a massive success remember? I mean how could it not. The fanbase it has ect ect. Oh wait its a TERRIBLE game. Or Star Wars. Just the name so many just assumed it was going to be great. Um no, not really for alot of people. Some love it and I'm not saying is nearly as bad as Star Trek was.

I guess my point is making a post like this is just silly. If it was The Elder Scrolls Online announced and leave it at that? Fine. Saying what it means for MMORPGS? Thats plain stupid without knowing ANYTHING about the game other than who is developing the game.

I'm just as excited as everyone else to hear its being made. I'm however not even remotly close to thinking it will "change" anything in the MMO market without seeing more about it or even playing it. Its no diffrent than GW2 right now. So many people acting like its the god child of MMO's. Sure, its good and alot of fun. But its not the end all be all of MMO's.

• reap3rzxreap3rzx Member Posts: 41

It's funny how people are so simple minded that they've branded this game to fail when they have almost no information on it.

Here's what we know.

• Takes place in the TES universe, 1000 years before Skyrim.

• Created by Zenimax, which was founded by the lead designer of DAoC.

• 3 faction open world PvP.

• Spans all across Tamriel.

• Using the (for some reason) infamous Hero Engine.

We know not of the combat, the subgenre (sandbox, themepark, DE-based/quest based), the POV, and the list goes on and on. Yet, somehow, with 5 bulletpoints of knowledge, people are saying this game will fail. Incredibly ignorant. The fact is, we don't know what this developer is capible of, we don't know how they can mold the epic SRPG games into a good MMO, and we don't have essentially any information on it. Just because Bioware/EA completely misused the Hero engine doesn't mean that it can't be used to create a truly great game. They've been working on this since 2007. To think people actually believe that Hero Engine will produce a SWTOR clone with TES skins is flat out stupid.

Here's a little bit of advice for those who really need it. Actually have information on the game before you start making predictions on whether it will fail or succeed. It has all the potential in the world at this point to do both.

Your options are to be intrigued by a MMO based in the rich lore of the TES universe, or not, and move on. Good day.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by DrNo172000

Elder scrolls has always been about freedom.  I would like to see the dev team take some inspiration from Ultima Online.

Also would like to see it take place on the whole continent and not one area of it like the single player games.

It would have to be, to be even remotly big enough for an Elder Scrolls MMO. If its going to be in the spirit of the elder scrolls and not just some pile of crap with the name tagged on it.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , exciting but not sure at the same time.  I mean , I did like the Elder Scrolls series but a MMO?   Let's face facts here , besides Diablo 3 that brings a whole new approach back into the online gaming world , where will a Elder Scroll MMO shine? In all honesty , we got enough such games released with speak to X kill Y return to X ,repeat. And skyrim was a sense of that , I'm not saying it was a bad game , it was a pretty awesome game but when I picture Skyrim as being a MMO I would of most likely not bought it in the first place.

In the coming months , Diablo 3 , Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile will hog alot of the MMO population because of the new concept that isn't as new which is hack N slash with a side dish of fun while doing it.  The Diablo series is probably the only series where I didn't mind grinding the same bosses on hell mode for hours and hours for the thrill of the loot. No need to form parties for hours just to get going.  You log in and start having fun , the way online games were meant to be in the first place like in the good old days.

The more I think about it , the more I think doing a Elder Scroll MMO is a little too late , unless they bring a whole new concept then it might do great , otherwise it will just be another over hyped game ressembling to what 95% of the other Devs have put out on the market and be forgotten within the first year of release.  

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by reap3rzx

It's funny how people are so simple minded that they've branded this game to fail when they have almost no information on it.

Here's what we know.

We know not of the combat, the subgenre (sandbox, themepark, DE-based/quest based), the POV, and the list goes on and on. Yet, somehow, with 5 bulletpoints of knowledge, people are saying this game will fail. Incredibly ignorant. The fact is, we don't know what this developer is capible of, we don't know how they can mold the epic SRPG games into a good MMO, and we don't have essentially any information on it. Just because Bioware/EA completely misused the Hero engine doesn't mean that it can't be used to create a truly great game. They've been working on this since 2007. To think people actually believe that Hero Engine will produce a SWTOR clone with TES skins is flat out stupid.

Here's a little bit of advice for those who really need it. Actually have information on the game before you start making predictions on whether it will fail or succeed. It has all the potential in the world at this point to do both.

Your options are to be intrigued by a MMO based in the rich lore of the TES universe, or not, and move on. Good day.

It still 'sounds' themeparkish with the levels, skill-trees, and random events they themselves mentioned, which in my book is not a good thing.

• badgerAlumbadgerAlum Member Posts: 27

I'm really looking forward to this.  That said, being a long time Elder Scrolls fan, there is a long standing tradition of lots of bugs.  Can't wait to see this in an mmo environment.  The forum rage may actually travel back in time to wash over us.  This may be what will cause the end of the world later this year.

• reap3rzxreap3rzx Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by xDayx

-snip-

It still 'sounds' themeparkish with the levels, skill-trees, and random events they themselves mentioned, which in my book is not a good thing.

It 'sounds' like nothing until you actually have information on it. Just because Skyrim had skill trees and levels doesnt mean that TESO will. Not to mention Levels+skill trees != Themepark. Themepark is when the game directs you from area to area in order to progress, like WoW does with quest hubs. 

• silent-jonessilent-jones Member Posts: 28

This is like if our prayers have been answered. The greatest MMORPG of all times is coming. If they manage it to pass the spirit of The Elder Scrolls on to an Elder Scrolls Online, the nature of gaming itself will be transformed.

• silent-jonessilent-jones Member Posts: 28

One thing is for sure: no sweet little teddy-bear style toons, but blood and honor.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

WTF. I am just two days away for a surgery, and all hell breaks loose! This is bad. I so had hoped Elder Scrolls would continue as epic story single player. This is not cool. :(

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I love the Elder Scrolls series of games but most of what gives them their unique charm won't translate well into the MMO genre. I personally think this may not be the best direction to take the franchise. I'm excited and very worried at the same time. If we end up with WoW or even DAoC in Tamriel I think I'll probably drive to Bethesda, MD and go Postal on them. The Elder Scrolls deserves much better than standard MMO mechanics... Far better.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Here's what we know.

Hero engine?

OMG, now we are really screwed.

And 1000 years before Skyrim? Eh??

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ~Roh~~Roh~ Member UncommonPosts: 16

MMOs have great potential. Some have introduced great things. Most have been a disappointment to me with their stale, rehashed base mechanics. And the disappointment has only increased with the release of most MMOs Ive seen.

Seeing how Elderscrolls has gotten prettier but shallower with each release of the SP franchise.. I can only hope the MMO won't continue the trend. Pretty is nice but I place gameplay well above it.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

/looks down

yup...just wet myself.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

absolute gamegasm!

...now don't you fuck it up Zenimax or i will hate you forever. make it feel like Skyrim and you'll make A TON of money.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I'll be watching this one closely!

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by bishbosh

its going to be a wow clone...

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

WoW no, will be more like SWTOR they have the same fail engine... Bad day for single player Rpgs...

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

3 questions:

Is it sub-based?  I hope not, but bet it will be.  If so, I'm out.  *sigh*

Will it be cross console?  I don't care, but my wife would.

Sandbox, themepark, etc.?  Hopefully Sandbox-ish at least.  Keep more in line with the SP games.

Exciting news!  Will love to watch and see how it pans out!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

If it is similar to SWToR, it is ruined opportunity

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

As to the question What will Elder Scrolls online means to the MMORPG community over the next few/10 years. 

Not much. I have doubts they will do anything interesting or innovative and instead stamp out a generic online version of what they allready do. There will be fans who will play it no matter how good or bad the game is much like SWoToR and then there will be the rest of us who will only buy and play it if we are either bored or the game is just that good.

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76

I bet we will see a console version

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Havent really researched this, but Warcraft is the only MMO spinoff from another video game that was successful Maybe the 1st FF. Then again, How many others were attempted? WE now have ESO in production, there was also Final Fantasy, SWTOR, Myst Online, World of Warcraft to name a few. What else and which were successful?  
    UO - all that really matters

My 2c EOS needs to be sandbox or it will get thrown in the tumbler like all the rest.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Stellin23Stellin23 Member Posts: 3

I would rather see a true Dark Age of Camelot sequel, but I seriously hope Matt nails the PvP/PvE balance. Seriously....just copy the DAOC PVE leveling (safe zones) and add in PvP as an outlying zone. Then you don't have to choose a PvP or PvE server. You just pick a server. Come on Matt!!! The MMO world wants a true DAOC successor, so please, please, please model PvP after DAOC!!!