Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO, Screenshots (class based, traditional combat, no trinity, open world dungeons) It's a themepar

spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

[mod edit - pleaes do not post magazine scans, feel free to summarize!]

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
otacu

Comments

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Hmmm, that sounds rather themeparkish, "instanced dungeons" (but also public ones), "phasing", hmmm.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395

Bleh... doesnt sound like elder scrolls at all. And here i was hoping for a true sandbox skill-based mmo. This sounds like daoc and wow mixed together.

And the "awesome button" is back, from DA2 if I remember right.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Is it just me or this game is a GW2 clone?

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Originally posted by spaceport

It's just you, they both cloned the themeparks of the last decade and threw in their special "awesome" feature.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Suddenly I am uninterested in TESO. Too bad.

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395

Nah, phasing, a hotbar with kore than 20 abilites.. doesnt sound like gw2.. sounds like anyother wow like mmo. But we'll see, this isnt the whole article after all. Maybe there are classes that are not combat based... but highly unlikely. 

• allgamesallgames Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Unreal024

Yep, that's pretty much what I figured they would do, the same thing every company has been doing for the last seven years. A themepark MMO ...

Yep, and another themepark mmo like wow that we don't need after so many "clones". I wish them all the luck in the world if they take that route, they will need it...

Originally posted by Batak_Killer

Nah, phasing, a hotbar with kore than 20 abilites.. doesnt sound like gw2.. sounds like anyother wow like mmo. But we'll see, this isnt the whole article after all. Maybe there are classes that are not combat based... but highly unlikely. 

Read the text, Batak. Only a small hotbar with 5 skills in TESO, all af them "awesome".

• KrayfishKrayfish Member UncommonPosts: 147

I was hoping they might go in the archeage direction with this but judging by the article and the feeling I have in my face it looks like they won't be, which is a shame as this could work really well with that sort of arrangement imo. I don't feel overly confident this will be what I want it to be yet, but hey maybe when we get info I will be surprised.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

What a waste of the IP, making ESO class based is a fail. Im still interested but in my opinion they already fucked it.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

was kinda foolish of them to make the reveal with all the undesirable stuff, except for 3-faction pvp.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by alakram

What a waste of the IP, making ESO class based is a fail. Im still interested but in my opinion they already fucked it.

relax broseph, take a deep breath, clean up the snot and tears, and think. you cant have pvp balance without classes, period. imagine trying to balance something as freeform as Skyrim. it would be a horrible mess.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Originally posted by Xzen

As am I. My interested was tempered extremely quickly after reading the article here (http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/) and the scans. I mean, it doesn't even LOOK like the Elder Scrolls.

edit: after having a chance to digest the information in the scans, I'm well and truly disgusted. THIS was the IP to do something new and bring sandbox-y-ness to the mainstream; but no, they pussyfooted out and are going for a WoW-clone lite with some Blethesda spin on it. Really frustrated atm.

Full voice acting, no player housing ... where have I read that before?

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Larsa

It's just you, they both cloned the themeparks of the last decade and threw in their special "awesome" feature.

How exactly did GW2 clone Warcraft when GW was released before or around the same time as Warcraft?They just expanded on their first game.Just how many different ways are there to make an online world and are you just angry that they didnt incorporate it the way you wanted it so all of a sudden its a WoW clone?

• MonorossoMonorosso Member Posts: 15

The game does not have "quest hubs" ala WoW. Not really a themepark if there are no hubs.

"Recreating the freedom Elder Scrolls players

expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics

Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be

impossible without changing the way that players

interact with the world. The studio came up with

something it calls “hubless” design to combat this

problem. Instead of the typical questing design

that MMO players intuitively recognize – go to

town, pick up quests, complete quests, return to

town for reward – The Elder Scrolls Online aims to

allow players to enjoy whatever piques their interest

as they wander the world, so long as you are

appropriately leveled."

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by star

Originally posted by Xzen

As am I. My interested was tempered extremely quickly after reading the article here (http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/) and the scans. I mean, it doesn't even LOOK like the Elder Scrolls.

edit: after having a chance to digest the information in the scans, I'm well and truly disgusted. THIS was the IP to do something new and bring sandbox-y-ness to the mainstream; but no, they pussyfooted out and are going for a WoW-clone lite with some Blethesda spin on it. Really frustrated atm.

Yeah, it doesn't even look like a WoW clone. It looks like a Rift clone. And you know what they say about the clone of a clone...

(Not disparaging Rift BTW, it's a decent enough game).

"Making player housing work the way fans expect is too hard to implement in an MMO, so Zenimax has no plans to let you accrue real estate."

Oh, the irony.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Love folk that think that an actual Elder Scroll game would be sandbox (MMOStrattegy Game) when Elder Scrolls have always been quest driven RPGs.  

I've never seen a sandbox MMORPG.  Because in order to be a sandbox game, you have to take the quests out.  Which are RPGs.  Can't imagine going downstairs to DM and tell my players, okay here we go, there's no quests, dungeons or adventures, you're going to build houses and attack one another.  This is the new RPG.  The pain of the book being thrown at me will hurt. 

• SzqqqSzqqq Member UncommonPosts: 38

Shame if this is going to look like this. I was expecting EVE Online with swords :(

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Originally posted by Larsa

"Making player housing work the way fans expect is too hard to implement in an MMO, so Zenimax has no plans to let you accrue real estate."

Oh, the irony.

My question is this: If Zenimax has that attitude about Player Housing in MMOs, what other features have they made a similar decision on I wonder?

As a long time MMO Player I do not have "warm fuzzies" about TESO after reading this quote above.

My take on this news of TESO....  it is a sad day for the IP, for when it is all said and done I honestly believe many of it's greatest fans will quietly regret supporting this new MMO and unistall it from their computers.

And a minority will come here and lament the damaging of another good IP by attempting to make a modern MMO out of it.

What a shame.

(I honestly LOVE The Elder Scrolls RPG series... I just don't think there is a single Dev Team on this Planet that can turn TES into a MMO and do it justice.)

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

One of those wait and see games.  Read in that article they will not be using the radiant AI.  That pissed me off alittle.  Who the hell cares if the npcs need to sleep for the night.  It makes freaking sense in a TES game!  They pretty much killed the chance for me to create a thief character and do thiefy things. :(   Also,  classes are locked?  In a TES game.  Piss off, Bethesda.

BOOYAKA!

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Monorosso

The game does not have "quest hubs" ala WoW. Not really a themepark if there are no hubs.

Wrong. With or without quest hubs it can still be a Themepark. TESO is 100% themepark just like all of the Elder Scrolls games.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by dontadow

Love folk that think that an actual Elder Scroll game would be sandbox (MMOStrattegy Game) when Elder Scrolls have always been quest driven RPGs.  

I've never seen a sandbox MMORPG.  Because in order to be a sandbox game, you have to take the quests out.  Which are RPGs.  Can't imagine going downstairs to DM and tell my players, okay here we go, there's no quests, dungeons or adventures, you're going to build houses and attack one another.  This is the new RPG.  The pain of the book being thrown at me will hurt. 

I agree that The Elder Scrolls is not a "pure" sandbox game, but one would think that an MMO spinoff would lean more towards that end of the spectrum. Also, I feel that when people mention sandbox in conjuction with The Elder Scrolls, some of them are refering to the open ended nature of the franchise. As in, it's classless and the world is completely open. It's quest driven, but I've played hundreds of hours of Oblivion and I've yet to complete the main questline. It's still non-linear (to a certain extent) in terms of how I want to approach the game. While it's not a full-fledged sandbox, it sure as hell isn't a themepark-esque RPG which is why so many people are concerned.