Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Like many, I am wary on this game, so like many who have said it, I am adding my voice in saying this could fail badly.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• FuuManChew35FuuManChew35 Member UncommonPosts: 22

If they make ESO like skyrim where they throw you out in the world with basically nothing, but still have a storyline to follow. Make it an openw orld like skyrim. make it choose your own adventure type of game. They can make it a beautiful game since it's not gonna be out in the next couple years. No themepark, they will need to stay away from that. I think it will work out.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by wormywyrm
    Just because a different studio is making it doesnt mean it will be bad.  I think its great news that the head of Zenimax studio is a developer from DAOC.  I think it bodes well that the only information about the game they've released so far is the 3 faction system, too.  And that Zenimax has been a studio for 5 years without making any games?  Hell they've probably been working on this game.  We may really see it in 2013.

I agree, it does seem like good new. Some key points in the announcement are DAOC and 3 fraction pvp, that perks my interest. I'm curious to see which way they take this thing. And hopefully I don't get too excited.

The game's director is Matt Firor. "It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," he says. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise." The game's July cover reveal will detail a variety of the game's possibilities: soloing, public questing, and a unique new take on player-vs-player, in which the three factions battle over sections of land or a desired position of power.

Joystick.com

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

I in no way expect anything good to come out of this.  TES should stick to srpg.  This is going to fail and leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

And so the legend begins..... here day 1 :)

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

lol dosnt mean too much to me, i loved skyrim and obvlion but yeh, not too bothered, if they made a dlc for skyrim that was multiplayer, just a few people for dungeons i would probably change my mind, just they had so much potential with skyrim but didnt meet it lol not that it wasnt a brilliant game

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

What a joke..MMO's have been trash since the release of WoW and it's easy mode concept.

Really, I tell you why.

Because of WoW's Easy Mode concept, it has drawn more players to the table of gaming. Now as an original mmo'r I would think hey this is great more people. Unfortunatly it didn't bring the right kind of people. See a game comes down community and when your game is infested with the "New Players of this time and age" are nothing but trolls.

So I thank WoW for killing MMO's. This will will have super hype just like WAR and AOC and SWTOR. And they are all trash troll infested piles of poop.

I miss the days of real MMORPGS - UO, EQ, AC, DAOC, SWG <-- These are Real MMORPG's everything made after them is trash.

Kick to the Face.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

I'm cautiously excited; need to see first how HERO engine blends with Creation Engine atmosphere and graphics (i.e. Skyrim)

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

hope the game will be good  or it will take an arrow to the knee.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Well, well, this can become the next Wow if done right in terms of success if they do not make the mentioned "Azeroth: Elder Scrolls Edition" and keep what makes their games great.

The FPS/Action like combat will be a problem for massive battles, i dont see how that will work out.

PvP is possible, the setting has many different factions, the organizations, so any kind of pvp is reasonable from zones of rvr to simple criminal actions of individuals.

They have an automtic quest making engine.

They have worlds to explore with a rich lore.

They have no fucking Hobbits and no cutesy Elves (i know they have Elves but not the sugar candy super cute Elves)!

They have crafting and economy and politics.

They have millions and millions of fans (though they have probably no online experience like blizzard had with its Battle-Net).

They have experienced people in their team (but that not allways works out as seen in Warhammer and SWTOR).

They only need to do it right and learn only one thing from Blizzard: "Its done when its done!"

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65

If this is a sandbox, count me interested.  If this is YET ANOTHER level-grind, gear-based, heavily-instanced theme park, count me out as there are already too many of these.

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by Rakuji

What a joke..MMO's have been trash since the release of WoW and it's easy mode concept.

Really, I tell you why.

Because of WoW's Easy Mode concept, it has drawn more players to the table of gaming. Now as an original mmo'r I would think hey this is great more people. Unfortunatly it didn't bring the right kind of people. See a game comes down community and when your game is infested with the "New Players of this time and age" are nothing but trolls.

So I thank WoW for killing MMO's. This will will have super hype just like WAR and AOC and SWTOR. And they are all trash troll infested piles of poop.

I miss the days of real MMORPGS - UO, EQ, AC, DAOC, SWG <-- These are Real MMORPG's everything made after them is trash.

Ok. Whatever makes you feel better.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Cembrye

If this is a sandbox, count me interested.  If this is YET ANOTHER level-grind, gear-based, heavily-instanced theme park, count me out as there are already too many of these.

I think a TES themepark is likely given the small number of financial wins by sandboxes.

If I were to second guess the design, I'd say it's going to be a cross between GW2 and DAOC.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I'm more frightened of this proposed MMO than I am excited. I can't imagine a studio actually transitioning a single player game into the MMO space without fucking up everything that made it special or unique. Sorry, but I'll remain skeptical until some of these clowns can prove otherwise, but reading this news prompted a prolonged groan with a headache to follow.

Just another dead series, INCOMING!

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

A Single player game franchise transitioning into the MMO genre via the Hero Engine.

I will pass on another TOR hyped up piece of crap.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Welcome to the next game to be over-hyped in to such a state that it will never live up to the wet dreams of the nerds who hype it, and then it fails.

This have been a good conversation

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

If they do manage to pull this off, then great.

However I dont see how it is going to work in a MMO.

Like others have said make it co-op and keep it sandbox.

• WaizerWaizer Member Posts: 125

I've just died and gone to heaven :D

I really hope the game is made as good as the solo games were... and I definatly hope the pvp system is as good as or better than daoc's

3 realms/sides/factions min plz!

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

The game is not even in alpha stage and i bet it will fail because elder scrolls doesnt really have a big fanbase. Its such a niche game for old veterans. I as example dont enjoy first person rpgs at all.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Yay, finally something worth waiting for. I only hope they are honest about the game and don't overhype it and fail to deliver.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by makii

The game is not even in alpha stage and i bet it will fail because elder scrolls doesnt really have a big fanbase. Its such a niche game for old veterans. I as example dont enjoy first person rpgs at all.

Are you being sarcastic? Skyrim sold nearly 3.5 million copies in the first 48 hours. It sold over 10 million copies in the first month. It set Steam's concurrent user records and was the most played game of 2011 on Raptr (second on Xbox Live).

Fanbase is huge.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

As said, some things to look out for:

1) The philosophy espoused for creating an mmo of this IP: The "Why" given to explain the direction.

2) The gameplay experience envisioned with in the above mmo eg FP-RPG-MMO style? Is that right ie very visceral combat experience? Will we see loss of limbs and beheadings?

3) Building on 2) with customization and class variations and oc the pvp war between races over the land combined with the PvE dungeons and monsters? Not familiar with Skyrim so something like that? And oc the explorations, maybe a really tough old land, how do they do levels, similar to skyrim??

A few stabs and slices at what this mmo actually will sub-genre mmorpg towards! ;)

• EvenhopeEvenhope Member UncommonPosts: 22

There was never a time playing any of their SPs that I thought to myself, "This would be awesome, if there were 3 factions and I could PvP with others online"...

However, I have thought to myself, "Man, I wish the combat in this game was more like Might and Magic: Dark Messiah", and "OMG!!! This leveling system is HORRIBLE", and "Please fix the <insert game error here>, so I can play this again".

On a side note, I do know that Bethesda had lots of appreciation for Minecraft... which is technically an MMO. Perhaps, they can take ESO in a direction similar to that. Pretty much anything other than another WoW spin-off would be appreciated. I, mean, it could still be a pretty succesful WoW-type game... but, I highly, highly doubt it.

"Please keep it sandboxed!"

/signed

• dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77

So will it be PC only? or are they going to involve consles. i hope they do, id love to kill people using a controller with my mouse and key board. 

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

It's a sad day for Single Players RPGs.