Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat: TERA v. GW2. Your thoughts?

Comments

• rainorxxrainorxx Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by likwidsage

Originally posted by rainorxx

GW2 is like WoW..tab, press buttons, tab again. Graphics are dated, combat too. TERA is far far better, has the best mmo's graphics ever, best combat, best PvP.

More people that know nothing about GW2 TRYING SO HARD to state facts, when garbage is the only thing that comes out of their mouths. Read the reviews... Tera is the one being labeled as more of the same, while GW2 is being labeled as the different choice. 

I bought and tested both. I know the games. GW2 is a tradicional mmo with tradicional combat. Tere is the evolution in combat action.  "being labeled" means nothing.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

GW2 is like WoW..tab, press buttons, tab again. Graphics are dated, combat too. TERA is far far better, has the best mmo's graphics ever, best combat, best PvP.

More people that know nothing about GW2 TRYING SO HARD to state facts, when garbage is the only thing that comes out of their mouths. Read the reviews... Tera is the one being labeled as more of the same, while GW2 is being labeled as the different choice. 

I bought and tested both. I know the games. GW2 is a tradicional mmo with tradicional combat. Tere is the evolution in combat action.  "being labeled" means nothing.

If GW2 combat is traditional than I am a walking, talking, keyboard typing jack rabbit.

Pro Tip: If you played GW2 like a "traditional" tank+spank "sit there and spam skills" MMO than you are either

A) doing it wrong

B) never got past level 5 or so

C) both

D) actually playing TERA and forgot to dodge/block

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

It is the oposite for me. While GW2 does have optional tab targeting, TERA actually has a great deal of similarities with WoW.

Tera's over the top brightly colored cartoony art style, it's reliance on trinity, it's gear grind and traditional questing system, etc.

TERA falls inline with the EQ mold just like WoW, but they did add in Quasy action combat.

GW2 is a distinct deviation from the EQ mold that WoW and TERA fit into.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Zen_Blade

Originally posted by RKameL

For me the fact that at Tera you gotta stay still to do skills puts me out of the game. Im a bit tired of that.

I played GW2 beta and was surprised how the combat system works, always moving, dodging, jumping and doing skills at same time, it turns it very fluid and was what i most liked. Its harder at beginning but it has a lot more action going arround, and makes it much better IMO.

Interesting point about some skills "stopping" your movement.  I have been hearing a lot of complaints in GW2 about ranged being overpowered vs. melee, and wonder if that's the single biggest reason.  If you can kite everything, why have melee for the most part?  That could also by why TERA chose to restrict the movement on many abilities (Some you can move and execute).

Well you can't kite everything.  The veteran spider mother I encountered (along with her brood) on a narrow ledge in a secret cavern laughed at my pitifful attempts.  It was all swords and daggers after using my one knockback.  Succeeded the second time through, only after whittling down the children.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

There's no question for me. We were hoping Tera would tide us over till GW2, but the combat in Tera felt so clunky, stiff, restrictive and forced, compared to GW2 which felt fluid, engaging, consistantly fun and allowed for a wide variety of approaches.

As I've said elsewhere, Tera felt like they'd created a traditional combat system, then arbitrarily removed Tab Targetting and replaced it with mouse over targetting, as if that alone would make it feel like action based combat. It didn't work. The abilities were bland and very restrictive.

I was really counting on Tera to pass the time, unfortunately DCUO, DarkFall and DDO all did a better job on that type of combat, or of simulating it.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by BadSpock

If GW2 combat is traditional than I am a walking, talking, keyboard typing jack rabbit.

Pro Tip: If you played GW2 like a "traditional" tank+spank "sit there and spam skills" MMO than you are either

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Tab targetting while moving around like an idiot and still getting hit might as well be the same as traditional combat cause it is. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Sector13

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Tab targetting while moving around like an idiot and still getting hit might as well be the same as traditional combat cause it is. 

Oh you were getting hit?

Must have not been very good at it then, I'm sorry.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

The tone of the posts, depending on which side it falls, is very interesting, and certainly makes me look forward to being a part of the GW2 community :)

It seems to fit, our time in Tera was spent declining duel spam despite having politely said 'No thanks, we're in the middle of something', and trying to ignore the acidic general chat. 

Yeah, this won't win me any friends and might even be a low blow, but it's pretty hard to refute and really speaks for itself.

I bought and tested both. I know the games. GW2 is a tradicional mmo with tradicional combat. Tera is the devolution in combat action.  "being labeled" means nothing.

Fixed.

I mean, since we're spouting nonsense, I thought I'd play too.

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

I played both as well. "Being Labeled" means that the majority of people that played both, including professional gaming sites, are saying Tera is more or less the same, while GW2 is the on being different. Now you're free to think that only you're opinion counts, but I can't be that ignorant. 

And if you really played both, there is NO WAY you can say that GW2 is traditional.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Oh you were getting hit?

Pretty funnt that you guys always use the same excuses and reasonings for a fail game being fail. I'd rather chalk it up to fans talking out their butts like they do for every new game release. I played with a group of people and we all agreed how much fail GW2 is. I believe more of what I seen with my own eyes and experienced for myself then some blind fan that appears in every game. Like the ones that said SWTOR was going to keep it's sub numbers ... we saw how that's doing. If you need it spelled out, slowly dieing, just like GW2 will unless they improve the game A LOT. 

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Oh you were getting hit?

Pretty funnt that you guys always use the same excuses and reasonings for a fail game being fail. I'd rather chalk it up to fans talking out their butts like they do for every new game release. I played with a group of people and we all agreed how much fail GW2 is. I believe more of what I seen with my own eyes and experienced for myself then some blind fan that appears in every game. Like the ones that said SWTOR was going to keep it's sub numbers ... we saw how that's doing. If you need it spelled out, slowly dieing, just like GW2 will unless they improve the game A LOT. 

Yea because the professional sites are all biased, and the forum polls are all rigged, and reviewers on this site don't know what they're talkin about, and the majority amount of people that have actually played both games like GW2 better, and the forums are all talking about GW2 more because more people are interested in Tera...

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106

Guys please, once again, this thread is specifically about TERA combat and why you like one or ther other, or both and why.  It is not about the games as a whole and why you think one is better as a game.  I know that in most cases if you like one game more than the other, you'll probably have bias for it regardless, but try to focus on the combat aspects on their own merits in the discussion here.  Thanks!

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I found the combat in Tera to generic and stale not active enough. Mobs are also to easy.

GW2 was much more tactical and active combat. PvE is challenging and exciting.

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Oh you were getting hit?

Clones of your Mesmer don't count, chief.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Unlight

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Oh you were getting hit?

Clones of your Mesmer don't count, chief.

We'll be the ones saying that when you inflate active account numbers ;DDDDDDDDDDD

Hi

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

Yea because the professional sites are all biased, and the forum polls are all rigged, and reviewers on this site don't know what they're talkin about, and the majority amount of people that have actually played both games like GW2 better, and the forums are all talking about GW2 more because more people are interested in Tera...

The fact that a person would use a professional gaming site to gauge the depths of a game's combat mechanics is a huge mistake.  Gaming journalists are literally not played to play games, they are payed to review them, and majority of them couldn't PvP their way out of a wet paper bag.  Almost all the complaints about Tera's combat mechanics comes exclusively from a Gamebreaker's reviewer who are also in charge of the biggest GW2 podcast on the web.  So not only are all the Tera haters quoting bad players in general, they are quoting bias players.  The fact that they are professional game journalists is irrelevant.

I have played GW2 BWE and Tera, and GW2's combat does not compete.  And you don't have to believe me, ArenaNet themselves said that their melee specs need to be fixed and they are working on them.  Also it's a well known issue that the dodge mechanic simply does not work as well in GW2's PvP then it does in PvE.  And this is GW2's fans complaining on the official GW2 beta foums about it.  These are well known problems in GW2 that need to be addressed before launch, and anybody saying otherwise is just trolling.

/endthread.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Oh you were getting hit?

And I played with a group of people who loved the game and are buying extra copies for friends.  One or two people like you aren't going to stop this game from selling tremendously well.

Originally posted by Eir_S

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Oh you were getting hit?

And I played with a group of people who loved the game and are buying extra copies for friends.  One or two people like you aren't going to stop this game from selling tremendously well.

Haha, tremendously well? Do you even listen to yourself. People like him will make the game sell worse, people like you will make it sell worse as well. Only objective analysis/promotion of your game makes people want to look at it, fanboys put people off.

Hi

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Jayaris

Originally posted by Eir_S

A) doing it wrong

C) both

Oh you were getting hit?

Haha, tremendously well? Do you even listen to yourself. People like him will make the game sell worse, people like you will make it sell worse as well. Only objective analysis/promotion of your game makes people want to look at it, fanboys put people off.

Due to the fact that they had to shut down the pre-purchases early due to excessive numbers of people, I'd say that these threads have little to no impact on how any game actually does.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Compact

Due to the fact that they had to shut down the pre-purchases early due to excessive numbers of people, I'd say that these threads have little to no impact on how any game actually does.

Ah yes, I forgot that the Beta Weekend limiting the amount of participants for performance reasons is the primary indicator of game success ;) 

Edit : By the way that's some sick internet you got.

Hi

• LordArthasLordArthas Member Posts: 32

I highly doubt GW2 is gonna fail. But honestly we won't know till a month or two after release.

No one simply saying GW2 will fail just like every other new MMO, or GW2 will be a great success! has any weight. 

Right now the facts are this game has a lot of hype even after the beta weekend. That's a good sign for GW2.

The game sold out online, yes it was because of hardware limitations at the time, but prepurchases (not preorders) exceeded ArenaNets expectations to the point they had to cut off sales.

Those two things alone don't prove anything outright, but they show GW2 is stil currently favored.

We shall see after next BWE/release.

In regards to Tera, that game isn't going to be a massive success. It will be sucessful enough to keep running for a good while  though. It might change to a F2P model eventually, I could be wrong though.

• LordArthasLordArthas Member Posts: 32

Lol really? You and your like-minded friends all have the same idea about GW2, so that's evidence of failure? I had the opposite experience.

I've seen the game with my own eyes and experienced it for myself and I take that for much more worth than some blind haters that appear every game. 

Gw2 is pretty fun. And honestly if you think it's exactly like traditional MMO combat, you were doing it wrong. You need to dodge.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Jayaris

Even if that's true, let's think about something I've said in the past, which is: if you let anyone discourage you from buying a good game, that's your problem.  The in-game community from the BWE's was helpful and friendly unlike most MMOs, if someone's spiteful attitude towards some stupid forum thread makes them avoid GW2, whatever.  Fact is, this is not going to be the case the vast majority of the time, and "fan boys" are the ones responsible for getting the word out and making the game as popular as it is, even here on MMORPG.com.  I thought I proved you wrong enough yesterday, I see you're back for more.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I played Tera for a couple of hours and found it innovative but still boring. It's much better than traditional mmos in which you take turns punching in each other's face, but it still sticks to the old formula. It's just not my cup of tea, but it is imo a vast improvement over all the other MMORPGs currently out there, e.g. released.