Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• LighttipLighttip Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Aeolron

To rammur how is gw2 really different from any other game? It has tab targeting same old pve we are all used too, however Tera is the same as far as quests go but with BAMS and the dungeons with the true action combat Tera feels more different then your traditional mmo also Tera is NOT a grind fest, someone who actualy played tera wouldn't say that.

I played Tera a good amount and it IS a grind not to the extent of lineage 2 by any means but you are basically doing the same thing over and over... You either grind out BAMS or go from quest hub to quest hub getting various crappy quests to kill 10 of this and that. Just because combat is more fun doesn't change this, just makes it not as boring as a game like lineage 2

Ok..people..stop bitching about grinding, you're being stupid.  What else is there to do in an MMO?  It's all MMO's are.  Come up with a new way to work an MMO with lvling that isn't a frickin grind and quit bitching about it.  <oops...I trolled>

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Jimmydean

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by xposeidon

DId you play the game? Guild Wars 2 does not start hard at level 1, I say after level 8-10 it starts rising in difficulty, please dont make false assumptions.

The difficulty curve isn't nearly as steep though. GW2 End-game starts at level 1, remember fanboi? GW2 also has an advantage knowing that MMO players are already used to its tab target (WOW) style, or face-to-aim (AOC) style because it's been done before. Aiming as it is in TERA is much more foreign to the MMORPG crowd.

TERA has a skill bar - check

WASD movement - check

Mouse look aiming - check

Click attacks/blocks - check

Yep, totally foreign to the MMORPG crowd...

I died.. never in 30+ combined levels of multiple characters in TERA CBT/OBT.

I died.. all the goddamn time in GW2 BWE.

Yep, difficulty curve isn't nearly as steep...

Yea 30+ combined levels, none of those characters ever reaching far passed the starter Island. I'm amazed you didn't find it difficult! Difficulty curve has nothing to do with how difficult the game is at the beginning. And if you think GW2 isn't going to get tuned down at lower levels before release, you are delusional. 

Especially since the majority of "Difficulty" in GW2 atm stems from melee vs ranged being completely unbalanced.  Melee are useless at their job. Sure they can throw on a gun and be OK, but what is the point of playing melee then? This is especially true in the beloved WvWvW where AOE is king and melee stand back watching.

You really have to be a terrible player in order to die in PvE during the first 20 levels in TERA. The mobs are slow, their attacks, even their rage attacks, don't hit very hard and most of the time you can see their attacks coming seconds before they hit, so you can just let go of the left mouse button (because action combat = holding the left mouse button and pressing space, apparently) and move out of the way. No need to even dodge.

The mob AI is so stupid that I literally stood behind the mob attacking it, as it was ramping up for 5 seconds to do it's rage attack and the mob didn't even have the common courtesy to turn and face me. I was standing behind it for 5 freaking seconds! And it's not just one particular mob, it's almost all of them. Once they start to do their pre-attack animations, you can just move out of the way and stand to the side or behind them and they will continue attacking where you were.

In contrast, the combat in GW2 is much more brutal. The mobs rarely are alone, they hit hard and your character is squishy so you have to constantly move and pay attention to what's going on. Weapon swapping adds a whole new dimension to combat as well. A melee opponent can become a ranged opponent in a split second, completely changing the dynamics of the fight.

Is the combat more action-y than in TERA? Maybe, maybe not. One thing's for sure, the combat in GW2 is much more unforgiving.

It's all my opinion, of course, and if you like TERA, more power to ya. We all have our preferences. In my opinion GW2 is better, in yours TERA is better. All that matters is we both have fun.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by rammur65
    tera just a basic korean grind fest  just alot prettier nothing remotely diffrent from it except the vanarch system which i think they had a similar concept in archlord back in the day people are just naive to see it at least gw2 just feels so much diffrent than most mmos out there.

Thats why this comparison is rediculous specially how they explain it realy bad discussion.

Ive have feeling one of the writers realy don't know what he is saying try keep both camps friends bah:(

I have played both and ive uninstalled after 1 hour TERA becouse its nothing new sinds everquest terible game.

@ Bill and this is truth: Guild Wars 2 IS LIGHTYEARS ahead of TERA and thats a opinion of player who have alot EXPERIENCE and know what he is saying about witch one is better then the other one.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think the highlighed part you are actually talking about GW2.

If not, you really haven't played GW2 at all have you?

Class choice is EVERYTHING and the combat is more tactical, layered, and nuanced than any MMORPG I have ever played in 12+ years.

Agreed, at least each class I tried were very different to play from the rest. Usually all roles in the same trinity role are more or less the same.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Loke666

Class choice is EVERYTHING and the combat is more tactical, layered, and nuanced than any MMORPG I have ever played in 12+ years.

Agreed, at least each class I tried were very different to play from the rest. Usually all roles in the same trinity role are more or less the same.

My favorite part is that by switching weapons the class plays entirely differently from one moment to the next.

And then once you get weapon swapping at 7 it's like playing 2 different classes at the same time, switching back and forth constantly based on tactical need and combat situational awareness.

Can you switch weapons in TERA?

Lol I'm being terrible.. I know...

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by Loke666

My favorite part is that by switching weapons the class plays entirely differently from one moment to the next.

And then once you get weapon swapping at 7 it's like playing 2 different classes at the same time, switching back and forth constantly based on tactical need and combat situational awareness.

You can swap weapons in FFXIV too and it changes your job completely! That turned out so well for them! Gamechanger... That being said, I play FFXIV and enjoy it =P Unfortunately all the weapon swapping does for melee is give us a reason to not... melee...

You can swap weapons in FFXIV too and it changes your job completely! That turned out so well for them! Gamechanger... That being said, I play FFXIV and enjoy it =P Unfortunately all the weapon swapping does for melee is give us a reason to not... melee...

Melee is a lot more difficult in GW2 but you do a lot more damage and it is so much more fun because of the difficulty.

Going ranged all the time is the easy way out. Yes, it needs some balancing but I never played all ranged in PvE or PvP last weekend.

• Draith77Draith77 Member Posts: 14

GW2 > Tera

Nuff Said ...

Melee is a lot more difficult in GW2 but you do a lot more damage and it is so much more fun because of the difficulty.

Going ranged all the time is the easy way out. Yes, it needs some balancing but I never played all ranged in PvE or PvP last weekend.

I noticed it the most in WvWvW I think. Ranged standing back dropping AoEs and never getting touched, while melee were dead the minute they tried to get into the fray. Pulling out my Rifle seemed to work OK, but really as a warrior I don't wan't to use a Rifle, I want to cut people up !

• Draith77Draith77 Member Posts: 14

^This  times a 1000

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I noticed it the most in WvWvW I think. Ranged standing back dropping AoEs and never getting touched, while melee were dead the minute they tried to get into the fray. Pulling out my Rifle seemed to work OK, but really as a warrior I don't wan't to use a Rifle, I want to cut people up !

Melee works great at times in WvW but you can't get away from having a range back up when in WvW but once you get through those doors melee owns and taking camps melee is the best class to survive. I know I had to do alot of dodging to stay alive in WvW but they have their rolls in WvW.

That is very true, I will agree.

However that's kind of the nature of mass open world PvP, it's been that way always.

I think once people get more time in WvW the strategies will change, more people will use siege weapons instead of just mass zerging beating on gates and melee will have a lot more tactical use in WvW.

The few times in WvW I was in a smaller skirmish I found melee to be incredibly effective, I don't think the majority of people thought about weapon switches and just tried (unsucessfully) to kite me as they are more used to longer-duration CC mechanics.

I owned a fair number of folks all up close and personal like in the smaller skirmishes.

However that's kind of the nature of mass open world PvP, it's been that way always.

I think once people get more time in WvW the strategies will change, more people will use siege weapons instead of just mass zerging beating on gates and melee will have a lot more tactical use in WvW.

The few times in WvW I was in a smaller skirmish I found melee to be incredibly effective, I don't think the majority of people thought about weapon switches and just tried (unsucessfully) to kite me as they are more used to longer-duration CC mechanics.

I owned a fair number of folks all up close and personal like in the smaller skirmishes.

I think next time I'll try a Ele and just avoid the hassle all together. Maybe Anet will balance the melee before release, it's a beta after all.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Whoever thinks TERA's combat is anything more than mindless button (pardon "SKILL") use on cooldown needs to have his brain checked. For those who haven't played, load up a YouTube video: tank with 99999999 hp SITS and tanks, healer spams heals on cd, DPS spams DPS on cd. Rinse and repeat for 1-2-3-etc. hours.

Wanna see anyone try that in GW2 without getting a real beating.

As for "pff GW2 has the same *kill x that, deliver y that*", seriously? What DO you expect to do in a Fantasy MMO, or heck, in a GAME? Breed bunnies? Bake pie?

(I'm sure GW2 will have a similar quest somewhere actually, but meh)

So sad that this website actually approves such articles, written by someone with very limited knowledge of facts. 

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

Originally posted by Aeolron

To rammur how is gw2 really different from any other game? It has tab targeting same old pve we are all used too, however Tera is the same as far as quests go but with BAMS and the dungeons with the true action combat Tera feels more different then your traditional mmo also Tera is NOT a grind fest, someone who actualy played tera wouldn't say that.

lolwut? If you try to tab target, or play GW2 the same way you do any other mmo you will die extremely fast. And how the hell is the PvE the same as anything?

I played Tera and I would deffinately say that it is as grindy as it gets, specially at 40+ ...Grinding doesn't only apply to mindlessly killing mobs when that's exactly what the quests are.

And how do world bosses and instanced dungeons make it different from any MMO?

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

It seems, as of the last beta, that the "up to the door" part of Keep Assault is where Melee are weak, as they can't leverage thier stregnths. Still, there are lots of other things about WvW that Melee CAN do well as you pointed out. Like waylay suppy caravans so the enemies can't re-enfoce the doors (another problem some folks had.)

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I don't think it's fair to not call GW2's combat revolutionary and dismiss it as just another "tab-target" style combat system.  I really have to question if Luke understood how the combat worked in GW2 if that's the case.  It's like saying AoC's combat wasn't revolutionary back when it was released because ranged could tab target.  I can understand perfectly why you (or anyone else) might like TERA combat more, but this statement about GW2's combat just feels completely unfair.

GW2 has many differences between standard tab targetting MMOs:

• You don't need a target to attack.  You can swing in melee, shoot projectiles, and cast spells without a target.

• Projectiles can be blocked simply by getting in front of their path.  Not to mention the number of skills that flat out reflect them.  Players can hide behind other players and let them take the burnt of the ranged damage (unless said skill is ground targetted).

• There is no trinity and no skill spamming outside of your autoattack.  Every skill has a decent cooldown (except autoattack) associated with it requiring you to plan your use accordingly.

• All melee attacks do AoE conal damage similar to AoC, making positioning in melee important.

• Aggro doesn't work based on hate, but more based on proximity.

• You have limited uses of the dodge mechanic.  The AI can also dodge.  This functions differently that other dodge mechanics in that you can't be hit by attacks while dodging.

• The whole weapon switching concept and skills based off weapons.

• Limited number of skills as opposed to multiple hotbars full of them.

• Combat feels significantly "faster" than most tab target MMOs.

• CC is less frequent.

• You can cast most skills while moving.

As you can see there is plenty of things that make GW2's combat revolutionary.  Dismissing it as just another tab target MMO just isn't right.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Purgatus

I guess it's a difference in combat preference. Do you prefer to play only ranged / kite everything (GW2) or do you prefer to play based on the class you choose, your actions having consequences and having to think about them first (TERA). 

Like I said, I'll play both. I hope you fanbois don't ruin GW2 with your endless praise / can never be wrong attitude. If you honestly think Melee classes are OK in GW2 atm, then you are too far gone to be of any use in shaping the game.

It's mind-numbing shlock like this that starts flame wars.

no, its people like you attacking someone over their opinion that starts flame wars.

Take a break, go outside and catch some fresh air man, because you are doing the GW2 community great harm by trolling other people.

We get it, you never played Tera and you never will, GW2 is your saviour. That's cool, why not tell him why you think GW2 surpasses its competition and leave it at that, without attacking/harrassing/trolling people. You will find you will receive a lot more respect this way.   :)

• felchawefelchawe Member Posts: 27

I did play both Beta I played tera CBT 2 EU and The BWE Guild Wars 2.

to make this short Tera bored me to death where guild wars 2 the beta ended without me even noticing that I spent 3 full days playing, that’s how good is GW2 Vs Tera.

Tera is sluggish and adds nothing new but the combat system, which you will eventually notice it will get boring after leveling 20+ lvls ( i did get to lvl 24 in a lancer ). other than that it’s a typical grindfest Korean MMO kill 20 trees in lvl 1 guess what you kill 20 trees in lvl 3 oh yes you will kill 20 trees again in lvl 10 and so on. Soloing an elite boss sure you can do that with the combat system but it will take you 20+ min to do so. Dungeons are poorly designed and offer nothing new so everything else in the game. pvp sure lets duel but we need to stand still so we can hit each other. you guys who are hyping or trying to do so for tera just give me one good reason to play this game other than the BAD combat system.

as of now am really looking forward to play in TSW closed coming Beta (praying that the game won't suck like Tera did)

Originally posted by Nevulus

Originally posted by Purgatus

I guess it's a difference in combat preference. Do you prefer to play only ranged / kite everything (GW2) or do you prefer to play based on the class you choose, your actions having consequences and having to think about them first (TERA). 

Like I said, I'll play both. I hope you fanbois don't ruin GW2 with your endless praise / can never be wrong attitude. If you honestly think Melee classes are OK in GW2 atm, then you are too far gone to be of any use in shaping the game.

It's mind-numbing shlock like this that starts flame wars.

no, its people like you attacking someone over their opinion that starts flame wars.

Take a break, go outside and catch some fresh air man, because you are doing the GW2 community great harm by trolling other people.

We get it, you never played Tera and you never will, GW2 is your saviour. That's cool, why not tell him why you think GW2 surpasses its competition and leave it at that, without attacking/harrassing/trolling people. You will find you will receive a lot more respect this way.   :)

Do you think that the red text is honest objective feedback? Or anything other than demeaning?

I do my best to respond in the same way to folks bashing Tera with nothing but slander.

• felchawefelchawe Member Posts: 27

between in the release did they add the end game Raids Bgs or Tera Still has no BGs or Raids ? 

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269

Well that sucks balls... Diablo 3 and back to DAoC I guess.

p.s. One can not like the way something looks without it being a graphical issue.  Diablo 3 may not have the graphics of Terra, but it doesn't have that lame art style either.  I'll take dated graphics over the rediculous art of Terra any day of the week.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by felchawe

I did play both Beta I played tera CBT 2 EU and The BWE Guild Wars 2.

to make this short Tera bored me to death where guild wars 2 the beta ended without me even noticing that I spent 3 full days playing, that’s how good is GW2 Vs Tera.

Tera is sluggish and adds nothing new but the combat system, which you will eventually notice it will get boring after leveling 20+ lvls ( i did get to lvl 24 in a lancer ). other than that it’s a typical grindfest Korean MMO kill 20 trees in lvl 1 guess what you kill 20 trees in lvl 3 oh yes you will kill 20 trees again in lvl 10 and so on. Soloing an elite boss sure you can do that with the combat system but it will take you 20+ min to do so. Dungeons are poorly designed and offer nothing new so everything else in the game. pvp sure lets duel but we need to stand still so we can hit each other. you guys who are hyping or trying to do so for tera just give me one good reason to play this game other than the BAD combat system.

as of now am really looking forward to play in TSW closed coming Beta (praying that the game won't suck like Tera did)

You don't like dungeons, at level 24 you have access to a single dungeon. The pluralization feels a little unneccesary dear..

You don't like the combat, I don't like GW2's combat - Go figure people like different things.

It's Korean or Asian comments really just seem like pointless racist additions.

It does take a long time to solo a boss, as it should.

Other than the combat system and the dungeons and the 'everything else in the game' you seem to dislike.

No, wait you said everything in the game. Not sure you really left anything for me to talk about..

You played GW2 beta for 3 days, and it takes under a day to get to level 24. I don't think you really gave TERA a chance before you decided that everything in the game was so Asian and terrible.

;DDDDDD

Hi

• DreadstoneDreadstone Member UncommonPosts: 125

Tera is still the game for me for now! Which is good since it is the only game available so far.

Thanks to the people who answered my question about GW2 targeting.  I'm not sure I completely understand how damage against an intended enemy is inflicted/calculated as far as aiming vs AoE but I have a little better idea now.

I'm loving Tera's world, combat, and in-game community so I'm happy there.  If I hear GW2 has an Open Beta anytime before release I'll give it a try to make some informed personal evaluations at that time.

Originally posted by Dreadstone

Tera is still the game for me for now! Which is good since it is the only game available so far.

Thanks to the people who answered my question about GW2 targeting.  I'm not sure I completely understand how damage against an intended enemy is inflicted/calculated as far as aiming vs AoE but I have a little better idea now.

I'm loving Tera's world, combat, and in-game community so I'm happy there.  If I hear GW2 has an Open Beta anytime before release I'll give it a try to make some informed personal evaluations at that time.

I wish you many hours of fun times!