Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• AlbredAlbred Member UncommonPosts: 48

3 Factions, Large scale PvP, Game Director is Matt Firor from Dark Age of Caemlot.  Please just call this Dark Age of Camelot 2 so I can die happy.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

The  Elder Scrolls mmo could imo be a very succsessful game with huge fanbase.I think tho that this will never happen and if there will be an elder scrols mmo it will be same group/raid  gear/level grinding game as the rest of them.

Maybe if they let the fighting to be let more solo and you could build houses and cityes with your friends also very huge database of rare items/minerals/hides and stuff you could trade with people,best if there is no auctionhall but some kind of announsment boards you could set your stuff for sale and those interested would have to take contact with you.

Well this is maybe unreal wish from me but that is some of the features I would like to see in Elder Scrolls mmo.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Wow, I totally called this wrong. I never thought Bethesda would reduce their game to MMO standards. And yes, there is a reduction in quality there, as even GW2's events don't create a permanent affect on the world. In order to do that, they'd have to instance parts of their game, but then everyone would complain that Bethesda is making a single-player online game instead of an MMO. 

MMOs are a massive drain of money and effort that, in Bethesda's case (and another company that begins with a B, who shan't be mentioned >_>) would have been better spent making even better single-player games.

Edit: Oh, made my Zenimax, not Bethesda. Well, carry on, then.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    But bethseda are not making it, they are still working on single player rpgs, e.g. skyrim expansion, fallout 4

Zenimax online is making it
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Yea. I think this should be taken into account. Most seem to just assume Bethesda themselves were working on the game.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Was only a matter of time.

Come back in 2015 to see if they've opened up a beta signup :)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I have some bad feeling about this. This may break the TES franchise for good if not done correctly. And "next year release" doesnt sound good at all. On the other hand i thought that they are going for 'Fallout Online' after all that legal dispute vs. Interplay, but i hope that franchise will remain at Single-Player waters.

Nearly SP RPG nowadays HAVE to have MMORPG sequel and it is going on the edge of my nerves sometimes. At least we will have 'Wasteland 2' in couple of years :

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Wow, I totally called this wrong. I never thought Bethesda would reduce their game to MMO standards. And yes, there is a reduction in quality there, as even GW2's events don't create a permanent affect on the world. In order to do that, they'd have to instance parts of their game, but then everyone would complain that Bethesda is making a single-player online game instead of an MMO. 

MMOs are a massive drain of money and effort that, in Bethesda's case (and another company that begins with a B, who shan't be mentioned >_>) would have been better spent making even better single-player games.

Bethesda is owned by Zenimax and the Zenimax online studio was founded in 2007 by Matt Firor (who produced DAOC and left Mythic in 2006).

Allthough I like the TES games and DAOC was a great game in many aspects I'm not sure if I should be sad or happy with the news. I don't put blind faith in a studio just because of a good track record of the producer and the franchise. It's still gonna be his first game with that studio and if not done well it could kill the franchise. So I wait until a lot of information and actual in-game footage is available before getting excited.

I think I heard some of the uo guys were involved too.
  • dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

hmmm Zenimax Online...hmm HeroEngine...

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16368

in development for many years already...

no physics... very cool...millions of shattered dreams...

this is going to be fun indeed for all them trolls.

edit: why still no multiplayer for TES series????

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Now that Game Informer has revealed the presence of Elder Scrolls Online, we have a few thoughts to share about what we think the game will mean to the MMORPG space. Read on and then weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.

I don't think I'm reaching if I say we have all spent hours of our RPG time in the world of the Elder Scrolls with around half a dozen games and endless gameplay over the past two decades the franchise has become legendary (and deservedly so). Skyrim has been voted the number one game of the 2011 many times over. Now, we will finally get to adventure in Elder Scrolls Online with our friends, and without the shoddy help of a third-party add-on. Folks, ESO is a reality. Did I call it in my predictions last year, and this year, or did I call it? The scope of an online version of Elder Scrolls is massive. It is the perfect world for an MMO to take place in. It's ripe for the plunder as it were. But what does this do to the MMO market for the next ten years, if anything?

Read more of Bill Murphy's What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs.

It means nothing until we see what they have in mind.... One major question from me is, "Will there be persistent objects similar to Skyrim?" Persistent objects are often left out of online games because of the misconception that they suck up 'too' much memory... This is not an issue anymore so I am curious if they will stick to their Elder Scrolls gameplay features or fall on their face and make a WoW clone with Elder Scroll skins.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Heroengine... bah, that's it for me.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by dronfwar

They have been developing their MMO engine for a few years now already, it is not the Creation Engine used with Skyrim.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

PvP focus = no thanks.

They had the opportunity to prove sandbox =/= gankfest and they ignored it.

I'll wait for the next sandbox train.

Edit: And exactly who is going to fix the hundreds/thousands of bugs this time? You can't have modders fixing code in an mmo.

Don't be such a negative Nancy, eyes :P

p.s. non-pvp focussed games, (at least games with non-consequential, zero excitement pvp), are the vast majority of games these days. I really am dead tired of gameplay which doesn't manage to challenge or excite me in the "player danger" department. Rinse and repeat pvp is not what I play mmorpg's for. So I'm hoping this time it will be a little different. Maybe not full loot and completely FFA, but at least make me want to avoid death, instead of death being just a quick way to fast travel.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by DarkPony

PvP focus = no thanks.

Edit: And exactly who is going to fix the hundreds/thousands of bugs this time? You can't have modders fixing code in an mmo.

p.s. non-pvp focussed games, (at least games with non-consequential, zero excitement pvp), are the vast majority of games these days. I really am dead tired of gameplay which doesn't manage to challenge or excite me in the "player danger" department. Rinse and repeat pvp is not what I play mmorpg's for. So I'm hoping this time it will be a little different. Maybe not full loot and completely FFA, but at least make me want to avoid death, instead of death being just a quick way to fast travel.

Pony to be very honest with you, the fact alone that this MMORPG is going to be developed on the HeroEngine, by a studio that isn't related to the development of the true Elder Scrolls games, makes me believe that this particular game will be closer to SW:TOR than to Skyrim. And this time I don't even think that there will be a good enough story to even things up.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by Morv

Originally posted by dronfwar

They have been developing their MMO engine for a few years now already, it is not the Creation Engine used with Skyrim.

Yeah they're probably editing the HeroEngine to their needs just like BW did for SW:TOR and we all know how great that game runs in crowded areas (and on Illum when some players still cared to visit that planet for pvp) :D

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Something you guys should know...

ZeniMax -

The company was built to specialize in the creation of an MMOG In 2007 the company announced a partnership withSimutronics the use of Hero Engine.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Alot

PvP focus = no thanks.

Pony to be very honest with you, the fact alone that this MMORPG is going to be developed on the HeroEngine, by a studio that isn't related to the development of the true Elder Scrolls games, makes me believe that this particular game will be closer to SW:TOR than to Skyrim. And this time I don't even think that there will be a good enough story to even things up.

Yep.

Im fearing a Elder Scrolls version of SWTOR

Linear, Shallow and Derivative

Another IP killed

Mark these words

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Hero engine is fine. Blaming hero engine is just a self denial tactic by bioware fanbois. Hero engine works like that in swtor because bioware wanted an instanced sprpg with some coop.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

The game has just been announced, nobody knows what features the game will have and it already has haters...makes me laugh really.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

aha!!!!! i saw that coming.

Elder Scrolls Online. Amazing news. Im already expecting the game to be at the very least as gorgeous, big and open as Skyrim. Not a bit less. Cant wait to see an area flooded with people FusRoDah-ing a dragon at the same time. It'll just disappear the poor creature lol

Really looking forward to this masterpiece. Im already wondering what races would be available? How far / early would ESO be chronologically in relation to the entire TES lore?

just thinking about it is exciting

All you people thinking this game will be another bloody wow clone like swtor. MF left mythic because they started wowifying daoc (which he was pvp lead on) with things like toa.
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Originally posted by Alot

PvP focus = no thanks.

The Repopulation is using the HeroEngine and their game is vastly different from SWTOR. It's different in almost every way imagineable. A tool is only as good as the person wielding it.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

If the game has no pvp it is a big + imo,dont like games that constantly get nerfed just to please the pvp'ers

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Oh god/s here we go again!