Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

I just posted my personal definition. I am curious if it matches others.

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

This argument and comparison is useless..

Tera=Asian console/pc set up..Saying the combat is unique and different is a joke..It's a cross hairs are made for controllers compatibility other then that it's a grind/quest fest..The world is linear and blocked..The graphics area a joke. The crafting is dull and boring. The classes are dull only training abilities as you level. Feels like a console game to me no thought process in it @ all. The PvP is easy mode. Move an inch to the right you win..The so called real action combat is a joke..Your attacks can't be interrupted.. Moving is near impossible while attacking. TERA is fail and that's why so many Qqrs will flock to it just as they always do for some “new” Asian game that is launched in the west.

G2=New Vibrant world! Amazing fun to explore, The combat/roll system is unique in itself all classes need to learn to utilize or they won't survive. Training is unique to your class. Weapons are unique to your class. No cookie cutter B.S.. Like I stated before the world is just amazing no cut and paste here and there.Every zone feels different then the other zones. Races aren't just reskinned. Capital cities are breath taking. Dynamic events play into survival of the zone/game. Unique story lines just to your char. As for the PvP...Just amazing the keep take the constant battle between servers. I haven't enjoy PvP that good since DAOC. And I would love to hear any argument that DAOC didn't and possible could still (until G2 Release) Have the best PvP WvW RvR or whatever you want to code it as..

[mod edit]

Originally posted by KickinPups2

Tera=Asian console/pc set up..Saying the combat is unique and different is a joke..It's a cross hairs are made for controllers compatibility other then that it's a grind/quest fest..The world is linear and blocked..The graphics area a joke. The crafting is dull and boring. The classes are dull only training abilities as you level. Feels like a console game to me no thought process in it @ all. The PvP is easy mode. Move an inch to the right you win..The so called real action combat is a joke..Your attacks can't be interrupted.. Moving is near impossible while attacking. TERA is fail and that's why so many Qqrs will flock to it just as they always do for some “new” Asian game that is launched in the west.

G2=New Vibrant world! Amazing fun to explore, The combat/roll system is unique in itself all classes need to learn to utilize or they won't survive. Training is unique to your class. Weapons are unique to your class. No cookie cutter B.S.. Like I stated before the world is just amazing no cut and paste here and there.Every zone feels different then the other zones. Races aren't just reskinned. Capital cities are breath taking. Dynamic events play into survival of the zone/game. Unique story lines just to your char. As for the PvP...Just amazing the keep take the constant battle between servers. I haven't enjoy PvP that good since DAOC. And I would love to hear any argument that DAOC didn't and possible could still (until G2 Release) Have the best PvP WvW RvR or whatever you want to code it as..

This comparison was a joke TERA doesn't even deserve to be put in the same class as G2..It failed in Korea it will fail here.. Let the fanbois say other wise just as they did with SWOTR..And many many More!.  

Yeah........very.......objective.........thanks........(sigh)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Jimmydean

Originally posted by BadSpock

So you are facing your character but not actually aiming... I can face my character in TERA towards a mob all day long, and if I don't aim the attack I'm still going to hit thin air. Facing does not equal Aiming, and that is why TERA is a TRUE Action MMORPG and GW2 is not.

If you miss a mob in TERA it's because you are the worst FPS player in existance.

Unless the monsters get smaller and faster as you level up, which I doubt as they all seem to get bigger and slower, you have to be REALLY bad to hit nothing but thin air in TERA.

If THAT is the definition of "TRUE Action MMORPG" than I am 100% glad GW2 is not a "TRUE Action MMORPG."

Case in point - in all 18 levels on my Lancer and up to 5-6 on every other class in the TERA betas I don't think I ever died once. Not once.

In GW2 I died a lot... a lot of dirt naps, and even more times was downed and had to Rally to survive and get back up.

So if combat difficulty = true action MMO combat, GW2 > TERA by a factor of about 30.

Oh man I'm glad you were able to explain exactly how TERA works in your entire 20 minutes of playtime! All 18 levels! The first few levels are to get you used to the new kind of combat. Throw a tab-target gamer into a fight with a BAM, and they are going to die without having any idea what happened. GW2 can start off hard because it never gets harder. Level 1 is what you see at level 80. While this is ok for some people, I prefer a game to get more challenging as my personal skill increases rather than stagnate. 

I wish I had only wasted 20 minutes of my life on this gimmick only Eastern grinder MMO, but sadly I played for hours over two weekend hoping it got better.

Apparently you haven't played GW2 either though... it's ok, ignorance is bliss!

• JediSeerJediSeer Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Purgatus

Originally posted by JediSeer

Originally posted by xposeidon

*snip*

I can get behind the point of your post. Truely. But.....

I only played Tera in beta, as a warrior and only to level 16. I read later that its not until 20 that the game opens up. In my experience Tera is ABSOLTUTLY a grind. I have trouble understanding how rational people can keep saying its not so.

All you do is Kill X of Y quests. And they are not even killing new and different creatures. Its the same ones over and over again. After 20 when BAM's and Duneons become available, I don't know how much this is true.

But to keep calling people out for saying this is absurd.

Grinding is NOT questing and questing is NOT grinding. Just because you kill similar creatures during one quest as you did in an earlier quest does not signify the game is a grind. True grinding is killing the same monsters over and over again for hours on end because you:

a: have run out of quests to do to achieve a certain level

or

b. are grinding monsters intentionally due to the fact that the xp is better

There are/have been games that can teach you the true meaning like Lineage 2 or early Aion, etc. TERA is far from that...and yes it does open up. Dungeons and fighting BAMs is where this game shines not to mention the political system once the game has has a chance to age a bit.

I think he meant that the quests are pretty boring and that some monsters are just clones of earlier ones like the trees, is it okay to say this instead?

Yes, that would make more sense. I would even agree that the quests can seem a bit repetitive. However, to call the game a grind is not accurate.

Perhaps that is what is being implied, thank you for the input and possible clarification.

This is what I meant. Grind, as far I have ever seen it used, refers to repetition behavior. To Grind is to do somehting over and over in order to continue through the game. Grinding is not questing, but questing can bbe grinding, depending on what you are doing.

To me repetitive questing is repetitive questing, not grinding. And, let's be honest, all MMOs have repetitive questing to some degree. Grinding however, is an entirely different monster. Kill 10 rats to complete a quest is not grinding, killing 5000 rats for hours straight to gain levels, is.

Oh man I'm glad you were able to explain exactly how TERA works in your entire 20 minutes of playtime! All 18 levels! The first few levels are to get you used to the new kind of combat. Throw a tab-target gamer into a fight with a BAM, and they are going to die without having any idea what happened. GW2 can start off hard because it never gets harder. Level 1 is what you see at level 80. While this is ok for some people, I prefer a game to get more challenging as my personal skill increases rather than stagnate. 

Do you really feel that it is ok for a game not to show you what gameplay elements make it stand out in the beginning of a game?

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162

I think Tera has the win in graphics and the combat. 

The rest of Tera has just been done soooo much that I couldn't stomach the quest hub rinse/repeat factor that I've been sooo sick and tired of that I've about given up on MMOs altogether.  It was hard to get thru Rift's quest hub and SWToR totally made me just hate it.

GW2 brought back exploration and choices back to MMOs which IMO trumps the quest hub recipie hands down.

I just had a feeling of been there done that too much with Tera while GW2 was a new adventure around every corner.

May never the quest hub system be implimented again!

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by KickinPups2

This comparison was a joke TERA doesn't even deserve to be put in the same class as G2..It failed in Korea it will fail here.. Let the fanbois say other wise just as they did with SWOTR..And many many More!.  

Best evidence ever, this post was just full of facts, evidence and the most unbiased statements ever.  Everyone should learn from this guy.

To me repetivive questing is repetivtive questing, not grinding. And, let's be honest, all MMOs have repetitive questing to some degree. Grinding however, is an entirely different monster. Kill 10 rats to complete a quest is not grinding, killing 5000 rats for hours straight to gain levels, is.

If you have to do 500 of those quests back to back, is it really that different because you have quests?

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Dreadstone

Tab targeting implies locking on a target.  Are you saying you don't lock on a target?  That you will damage the target with a non-AoE attack even if you haven't locked target on them?  Tera's combat is based on where you aim your reticle, not what target you locked on before attacking.  Is this the case in GW2?

If I have an enemy if front of me and I DO NOT have him targeted, ah la Tab-Targeting, and I hit my sword attack, I will hit and damage him. Does that answer your question?

So you are facing your character but not actually aiming... I can face my character in TERA towards a mob all day long, and if I don't aim the attack I'm still going to hit thin air. Facing does not equal Aiming, and that is why TERA is a TRUE Action MMORPG and GW2 is not.

If you miss a mob in TERA it's because you are the worst FPS player in existance.

Unless the monsters get smaller and faster as you level up, which I doubt as they all seem to get bigger and slower, you have to be REALLY bad to hit nothing but thin air in TERA.

If THAT is the definition of "TRUE Action MMORPG" than I am 100% glad GW2 is not a "TRUE Action MMORPG."

Case in point - in all 18 levels on my Lancer and up to 5-6 on every other class in the TERA betas I don't think I ever died once. Not once.

In GW2 I died a lot... a lot of dirt naps, and even more times was downed and had to Rally to survive and get back up.

So if combat difficulty = true action MMO combat, GW2 > TERA by a factor of about 30.

DId you play the game? Guild Wars 2 does not start hard at level 1, I say after level 8-10 it starts rising in difficulty, please dont make false assumptions.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Do you really feel that it is ok for a game not to show you what gameplay elements make it stand out in the beginning of a game?

It does show you, it just doesn't punish you for not knowing exactly how the game works the second you start playing it. The combat is the same through the whole game, but as you level up you get stronger, gain more abilities, and your enemies become *gasp* stronger! 

A BAM at level 20 is MUCH harder than a regular mob at level 5. The same way a BAM at level 60 is infinite times harder than a BAM at level 20.  Saying the game or combat is "simple" or "easy" after hitting level 18/60 is simply ignorant.

Tab targeting implies locking on a target.  Are you saying you don't lock on a target?  That you will damage the target with a non-AoE attack even if you haven't locked target on them?  Tera's combat is based on where you aim your reticle, not what target you locked on before attacking.  Is this the case in GW2?

If I have an enemy if front of me and I DO NOT have him targeted, ah la Tab-Targeting, and I hit my sword attack, I will hit and damage him. Does that answer your question?

DId you play the game? Guild Wars 2 does not start hard at level 1, I say after level 8-10 it starts rising in difficulty, please dont make false assumptions.

The difficulty curve isn't nearly as steep though. [mod edit] GW2 also has an advantage knowing that MMO players are already used to its tab target (WOW) style, or face-to-aim (AOC) style because it's been done before. Aiming as it is in TERA is much more foreign to the MMORPG crowd.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Why is the post actually called TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA?

• ShealladhShealladh Member UncommonPosts: 90

Originally posted by Rollmeister

*Grabs Popcorn*

Is this chair taken, offers you a drink. insert cheesy grin, "Now this should be good"

It does show you, it just doesn't punish you for not knowing exactly how the game works the second you start playing it. The combat is the same through the whole game, but as you level up you get stronger, gain more abilities, and your enemies become *gasp* stronger! 

A BAM at level 20 is MUCH harder than a regular mob at level 5. The same way a BAM at level 60 is infinite times harder than a BAM at level 20.  Saying the game or combat is "simple" or "easy" after hitting level 18/60 is simply ignorant.

Thats kind of the point.

If the game gets so much better at lv 20 as it gets BAM's and Dungeons.......why not introduce some BAM's at level 6, maybe some dungons al lv 12.

Why does the game force you do do things which does not represent the game until lv 20 which is a sizeable investment (even it it only takes 10 or so hours to get to)

My time in the starter zone was boring. I played a Warrior, the hardest class in the game, for 16 levels. There was no challenge what so ever. I thought that would give me an understanding of the game. Apperently I was wrong, and the game blossoms after 20.

How are we ignorant for not going far enough into the game for the game to actually be fun?

The difficulty curve isn't nearly as steep though. GW2 End-game starts at level 1, remember fanboi? GW2 also has an advantage knowing that MMO players are already used to its tab target (WOW) style, or face-to-aim (AOC) style because it's been done before. Aiming as it is in TERA is much more foreign to the MMORPG crowd.

TERA has a skill bar - check

WASD movement - check

Mouse look aiming - check

Click attacks/blocks - check

Yep, totally foreign to the MMORPG crowd...

I died.. never in 30+ combined levels of multiple characters in TERA CBT/OBT.

I died.. all the goddamn time in GW2 BWE.

Yep, difficulty curve isn't nearly as steep...

I obviously bad at games, you know, playing FPS since the mid 90's and MMOs since '99

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

There Can Only Be One!

• JediSeerJediSeer Member Posts: 21

To me repetivive questing is repetivtive questing, not grinding. And, let's be honest, all MMOs have repetitive questing to some degree. Grinding however, is an entirely different monster. Kill 10 rats to complete a quest is not grinding, killing 5000 rats for hours straight to gain levels, is.

If you have to do 500 of those quests back to back, is it really that different because you have quests?

Well then, by your logic we should remove the word questing and just call it grinding from now on, because all games have their fair share of quests that can often be construed as similar or boring and are done back to back.

Am I wrong?

The difficulty curve isn't nearly as steep though. GW2 End-game starts at level 1, remember fanboi? GW2 also has an advantage knowing that MMO players are already used to its tab target (WOW) style, or face-to-aim (AOC) style because it's been done before. Aiming as it is in TERA is much more foreign to the MMORPG crowd.

WASD movement - check

Yea 30+ combined levels, none of those characters ever reaching far passed the starter Island. I'm amazed you didn't find it difficult! Difficulty curve has nothing to do with how difficult the game is at the beginning. And if you think GW2 isn't going to get tuned down at lower levels before release, you are delusional. 

Especially since the majority of "Difficulty" in GW2 atm stems from melee vs ranged being completely unbalanced.  Melee are useless at their job. Sure they can throw on a gun and be OK, but what is the point of playing melee then? This is especially true in the beloved WvWvW where AOE is king and melee stand back watching.

Well then, by your logic we should remove the word questing and just call it grinding from now on, because all games have their fair share of quests that can often be construed as similar or boring and are done back to back.

Am I wrong?

Give me a popular MMO, and I can usually tell you what kind of quests they had in the starting zones.

MMO's do have varying levels of Grind to them, but I have rarely had them as Grindy as Tera.

WASD movement - check

Yea 30+ combined levels, none of those characters ever reaching far passed the starter Island. I'm amazed you didn't find it difficult! Difficulty curve has nothing to do with how difficult the game is at the beginning. And if you think GW2 isn't going to get tuned down at lower levels before release, you are delusional. 

Especially since the majority of "Difficulty" in GW2 atm stems from melee vs ranged being completely unbalanced.  Melee are useless at their job. Sure they can throw on a gun and be OK, but what is the point of playing melee then? This is especially true in the beloved WvWvW where AOE is king and melee stand back watching.

18 Lancer was off the starter online.

Even if you do find TERA fun, which I honestly hope you do, you cannot simply keep denying it is anything more than a traditional quest hub grind based Eastern MMO with basic Trinity based 2004 MMO combat whose ONLY difference is an aiming/dodging gimmick added on top of a standard skill-bar based system.

If you are OK with that, cool, glad you are having fun.

GW2 is entirely different. Yep, you have a skill bar, but it is nothing like the skill bar in any other game except for maybe The Chronicles of Spellborn.

Interesting for you to say this + call me a fanboi. Read this, I own both games, yes I solo BAMs, I still have a way easier time in TERA than GW2, the monsters attacks are very slow/predictable and the only time I really mess up is by not watching the cooldown on my dodges, not by the difficulty of the BAMs.

I guess it's a difference in combat preference. Do you prefer to play only ranged / kite everything (GW2) or do you prefer to play based on the class you choose, your actions having consequences and having to think about them first (TERA). 

Like I said, I'll play both. I hope you fanbois don't ruin GW2 with your endless praise / can never be wrong attitude. If you honestly think Melee classes are OK in GW2 atm, then you are too far gone to be of any use in shaping the game.

I guess it's a difference in combat preference. Do you prefer to play only ranged / kite everything (GW2) or do you prefer to play based on the class you choose, your actions having consequences and having to think about them first (TERA). 

Like I said, I'll play both. I hope you fanbois don't ruin GW2 with your endless praise / can never be wrong attitude. If you honestly think Melee classes are OK in GW2 atm, then you are too far gone to be of any use in shaping the game.

Combat preference is fine, I enjoy both combat styles. I only replied to your post saying that GW2 does not increase in difficulty as you level, which in my BETA experience, it did.

I think the highlighed part you are actually talking about GW2.

If not, you really haven't played GW2 at all have you?

Class choice is EVERYTHING and the combat is more tactical, layered, and nuanced than any MMORPG I have ever played in 12+ years.