Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Not everything has to be an mmo...ugh

I'd be ok with multiplayer features but an mmo? No thanks.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83
    This is the MMO i've been waiting for i think i'm gonna cry and it will be sweet tears of joy. FRICK YA FRICK YA WOOT FRICK YA.
  • Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

I can't find words to express how awestruck I am. All I can say is I expect a sandbox, and first-person combat. That is the stuff I really need. The core I want in this game.

You have DAOC's developer as the director? I can not wait for the trailer tomorrow. I have completely forgot about TERA or GW2 now.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'm really hoping it will be a game similar to Vanguard as in a virtual world. For me that is the trade mark of an Elder Scroll game and the only type of MMO that holds any long term interest for me.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by dezlan

I really wish the combat in the MMO could similar to that of the games. It won't feel like TES if they cop out and do the standard hotkey bar and auto attack that seems to be the go-to system these days...

Well, you run the risk of flying pigs, warping, lagging on both client and server, and all of the things that you can take advantage of with a system that runs off of aim and manual attacks.

One of the biggest issues is with murder systems that have criminal flags.  Players running in front of you while you attack a criminal, you hitting them on accident, then it's 2v1, and you're probably on the losing end.  Tab targetting, AOC style is probably the best way to marry combat in Skyrim and other MMO combat systems.

If the world and lore are the same, it will still feel like a TES title for me.  I don't play TES for the first person view or manual targetting.  That's for damn sure.  And I bet the most of the fans don't like those features either.  While they sound cool, they just don't translate well in MMO's.  I feel that making ESO in first person and non-targetting will be the first two steps in it's demise.

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice for the greater good.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Happy to see this.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Really, I'm excited and disappointed at the same time.  I love TES.  I've played every single game in the series.  Add to that one of the creators of one of my favorite games (and favorite MMO) of all time, and I'll probably end up buying it just like I did SWTOR.  I don't care how bad the game comes out, it can't be all that bad (SWTOR isn't the greatest ever, but it's still star wars!).

I'm disappointed because I've never really though of TES as a MMO, nor did I really ever want to see it that way.  The main reason is that in TES you have a sense of control over the world you're in.  In MMOs, that just doesn't make sense, or well it's impossible to program really.  If you have 500,000 heroes running around changing the world, you're single action isn't going to change much.

My only hope is that there will be more than 3 factions actually, but those hoping for 3 factions it might not be so.  People in the world of TES are racist...there I said it.  They have a preconceived notion about you based on your race.  Ever been a high elf and joined the stormcloaks in skyrim?  They dang near want to chop your head off when you enter the keep.  This would lead me to believe that there will be probably 4-5 factions.  Orcs don't really like anyone, not even fellow orcs unless they're in thier tribe.  Khajiit don't really do much but run around peddling their trades.  High Elves are evil magic users (biased lol) that want to destroy everyone.  Wood Elves are hippies.  None of the races want to play with each other.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm skeptical that it will be as grand as everyone is thinking, but if they pull it off (somehow) it'll be one of the greatest MMOs ever. 

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205
    All this needs to completely ruin my day is EA to swoop in for the kill....

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by heartless

I love The Elder Scrolls games. I still play Skyrim often. However, I don't see how they can translate the freedom of a TES game into an MMORPG.

Will definitely keep an eye out for this.

Easy only way to go is Elder Scroll SANDBOX no other way.

If bethesda desides to going themepark then they alinate the 10s of millions Skyrim/oblivion/morrowind fans, i very doub they goone go themepark route.

It would have to be a sandbox or a little of both, more likely, but I was talking about how I can go into Whiterun right now and kill every single NPC there because the game gives me the freedom to do so. The freedom of TES games works well in a single player game because what I do has no impact on other players. How would you handle a similar situation in an MMORPG though? Would you make the important NPCs invincible? Or add instakill guards, like in UO? How would you stop a band of 20 bored players laying complete waste to the countryside without changing the very nature of what a TES game is?

That's why I'm adopting a "wait and see" attitude with this title. I love TES games, been playing the crap out of them for years and as such, I've come to expect certain features from them.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Had this launched early this year or was even slated for the middle of this year it might mean something for MMORPG's. Sadly ESO missed the boat to have much of an impact on the genre.

SWTOR - introduced a heavy story driven MMO.

GW2 - Introduces a new spin on questing and personal story as well as introducing a unique action centric combat system. 3 faction PvP  as well.

TERA - Brings it's own traditional combat system with a twist.

The only way ESO makes a significant impact on MMORPG's is if it comes out as a sandbox.

The problem here is that it doesn't sound like they want to go the sandbox route, it looks more like they are shooting for the moon.

"The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

I'd rather not speculate what this means for MMORPG's because right now we don't know enough to say one way or another but so far, I'm not overly optimistic.

This.

If they keep true to the ES spirit and add a living world around it I think it will immediatly set itself apart even without the IP recognition.  If they make a more "standard" MMO and rely on the IP to carry them well... we've seen how limiting that can be under the best circumstances.  The "best MMO ever made" is a hefty claim, we'll see but I am excited.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Going to be hard to "do this right" and make it feel exactly like an Elder Scrolls SPRPG... but MMO...

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing more.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Oh my god...

The flat and uninnovative setting from TES with no replay-value formed into an MMORPG? I can never ever see this happen, successfully.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I don't know how I should feel about that. While I'm intrigued at the thought of TESO, at the same time I'm wondering how do you convert TES into a MMORPG. I can only assume it would be a sandbox game of some sort. However, will that work out with the gamers of today? Or will I be swimming in corpses most of the time? Who knows. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Excellent news. At least so far...
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Official Site please!!!

ESO.com seems to be owned by Age of Empires lol.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

TES was fun, one playthrough, every title except Skyrim (for me). I am curious how they want to insert any kind of replayability.

I mean TES never even had real lore. Very shallow. LOL. So what should I play this game for? Plainly for a decent character-development-system, hunting monsters and collecting treasures?

THE only thing that kept me buying and playing TES-series and THE only "real "strength of TES was for the exploration-factor. But Skyrim was created too generic (for my taste) to continue this fact.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by 4bsolute

TES was fun, one playthrough, every title except Skyrim (for me). I am curious how they want to insert any kind of replayability.

I mean TES never even had real lore. LOL. So what should I play this game for? Plainly for a decent character-development-system, hunting monsters and collecting treasures?

THE only thing that kept me buying and playing TES-series was for the exploration-factor. But Skyrim was created too generic (for my taste) to continue this fact.

uhhh, right.

• teh.f4ll3nteh.f4ll3n Member Posts: 10

So? Shitty UI and clunky combat on an MMO engine? TES quality has been deteriorating since Morrowind. Beth couldn't even do Skyrim right (for PC) - the crappy low-res textures, mouse support problems... And the interface! UGH! It made me want to punch babies. Modders had to fix almost everything for them. I doubt that they could make a good MMO right now.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tes meets daoc

Awesome, can't wait

And to those saying swtor, well that was kotor meets wow. No where near as good games to start from.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Just like with SWTOR, I would rather have a new Single Player game than an MMO based on this franchise.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Very interesting, did not really expect it. Looking forward to hearing mroe details. 

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

So many mixed feelings.  I love the gameplay of TES games form a single player setting...I just don't see that transferring well to an MMO format.  They have a major strong point that will always sell me on TES games: The fracking awesomeness of their lore.  I just like playing against the environment without feeling the pressure of needing to compete with other players.  TES rules the school for single player RPGs because of the ability to play without pressure which allows you to explore and really dig deep into the world far more than many would when players feel like they need to power rush content to be on top.  No....Bethesda...dip your toes in the MMO first with LAN capabilities in your game and maybe even campaigns like in Battle.net games (latter would be incredible in Skyrim!!!)...but don't go all massive...please.  TES games are my santuary when I get sick and tired of MMORPG pressures and I need a break.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

Here we go.  More mad hype until another broken MMO is released.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Wow. This is... completely unnecessary.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

I'm scared for this game.  As much as I love TES this could either be a godsend or a demon from hell.  Good luck TES Online and I wish you the best.