Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls MMO announced

RhenkarRhenkar Member UncommonPosts: 68

Cover of Game Informer:

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/bethesda/elderscrolls/online/cover-reveal/spread.jpg

Article:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

Long rumored and much anticipated, The Elder Scrolls Online is finally being unveiled in the June issue of Game Informer. In this month's cover story we journey across the entire land of Tamriel, from Elsweyr to Skyrim and everywhere in between.

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

Come back tomorrow morning for a brief teaser trailer from Zenimax Online and Bethesda Softworks, and later on in the afternoon for the first screenshot of the game. Over the course of the month, be sure to visit our Elder Scrolls Online hub, which will feature new exclusive content multiple times each week. You'll meet the three player factions, see video interviews with the creative leads, and much more.

The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.

Click the images below for the full-size renderings of the cover, and continue on to find out what other surprises are in the issue and when it will arrive:

----------------------------
"Hero of Time! Face me!"

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

Sounds like DAoC, with a little scaling maybe like GW2 and CoX, in the Elder Scrolls setting.

Yet another Themepark design, in my opinion. But I'll keep watching in case it's better than that.

Once upon a time....

• RhenkarRhenkar Member UncommonPosts: 68

Just a reminder as well that it's using the Hero Engine.  The one used in SWTOR.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79299-ZeniMax-Licenses-HeroEngine-for-Upcoming-MMOG

"Hero of Time! Face me!"

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Rhenkar
    Just a reminder as well that it's using the Hero Engine.  The one used in SWTOR.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79299-ZeniMax-Licenses-HeroEngine-for-Upcoming-MMOG

Are there many games using the HeroEngine that do not look cartoonish?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Did this studio do any mmo before? Or any online game?

I have my doubts about Bethesda's ability to make good online games.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    So i wonder if it is a lot like DAoC, each faction has their own area to PvE in (non-pvp servers), then have a huge area where anyone can go to fight over that land... Can't wait for more info! Excited to see what factions they introduce.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• RhenkarRhenkar Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by QSatu

It's not being made by Bethesda but Zenimax Online Studios instead.

"Hero of Time! Face me!"

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Given that the article regarding the Hero engine is from 2007, I guess one can assume ESO has been in production at least since then..

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Zenimax who?

Hero engine seriously? It didn't look very well on SWTOR...

I hope it won't fail. I have very high hopes for ESO.

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84

3 faction pvp is good.  I think it will be sandboxy with openworld pvp also.

But, I also think it will be very buggy and full of exploits.  Buggy single player games is one thing.  Buggy multiplayer can hurt the amount of players drastically.    I hope I am wrong.

• KitaneKitane Member Posts: 39

I have absolutely no interest in this game. I do however hope that the company makes this game for role players, and makes it very clear throughout development that role players are whom the game is being made for.

Maybe then the other 90 to 95% of mmo gamers can finally have some peace, and more importantly, get some games that flush out game play elements and features before release. Instead of getting overly weighed down in development and releasing unfinished and unsatisfactory to gamers because development teams listened to the much smaller, but much more vocal, role playing crowd crying for features that only role players care about. You know, like we've seen over the last 5 or 6 years.

RPers have consistently twisted what RPG means. In doing that, and consistently being the most vocal minority on pretty much every gaming related site, they are slowly killing the genre.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

No, this will be their first game, but no doubt they have plenty of experience on board. This isn't a 2 bit indie project... this is being made by a well funded and stable sister studio to Beth. One dedicated to making a single online game.

Don't forget no one had heard of Trion before Rift.

My one hope is that they DON'T go PvP on this. That would bother me greatly. It's about time someone catered for the PvE sandbox crowd properly in the MMO space.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by thedarkess

Zenimax who?

Hero engine seriously? It didn't look very well on SWTOR...

I hope it won't fail. I have very high hopes for ESO.

One... I am suprised you haven't heard of Zenimax, especially if you are any kind of ES fan.

And two... I really would not judge the Hero engine on SW. It's been well documented why.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Meh.

Another elves and orcs themepark. Again...

Only with different IP. And an IP does not make a game worth playing.

Considering the last X number of games that came out being nothing special for more than a month.

Pardon me if I don't get excited.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

the past two Elder Scroll games has been themepark RPGs on the consoles. So I dont expect the MMO version to be a Sandbox ether.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

ZeniMax Online and Bethesda are owned by the same company which is ZeniMax Media Ltd. In fact their offices are supposed to be really close to each other so I think it is safe to say that Bethesda have been helping them out and contributing massively to its development.

If done correctly, with depth and freedom, than this MMO could capture the same magic that the single player games had. I just hope they dont make it some console port with an attrocious user interface. Design it for the PC and then port it over to the consoles if necessary.

Besides I think Bethesda will still make the single player game and ZeniMax Online will look after the MMO.

Make it a good one guys.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by honoursword

ZeniMax Online and Bethesda are owned by the same company which is ZeniMax Media Ltd. In fact their offices are supposed to be really close to each other so I think it is safe to say that Bethesda have been helping them out and contributing massively to its development.

If done correctly, with depth and freedom, than this MMO could capture the same magic that the single player games had. I just hope they dont make it some console port with an attrocious user interface. Design it for the PC and then port it over to the consoles if necessary.

Besides I think Bethesda will still make the single player game and ZeniMax Online will look after the MMO.

Make it a good one guys.

well the MMO does take place 1000 years in the past of Elder Scrolls right?

so they should have room

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by Vesavius

No, this will be their first game, but no doubt they have plenty of experience on board. This isn't a 2 bit indie project... this is being made by a well funded and stable sister studio to Beth. One dedicated to making a single online game.

Don't forget no one had heard of Trion before Rift.

My one hope is that they DON'T go PvP on this. That would bother me greatly. It's about time someone catered for the PvE sandbox crowd properly in the MMO space.

Well you may as well stop looking then my friend, it is being made my the same guy that started DAOC and did the epic PVP DAOC ia known for.  It will be a PVP game and hopefully a good one.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

it better be good, if its not i fear it will trigger another global financial meltdown.  

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I have faith this is the WoW Killer: THE MESSAIH IS HERE MY CHILDREN, REPENT YOUR WOWN00B WAYS BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Woah

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

I have faith this is the WoW Killer: THE MESSAIH IS HERE MY CHILDREN, REPENT YOUR WOWN00B WAYS BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!

Ya with the hero engine the only thing they can kill is SWTOR

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

This game is riding on the sucess of Skyrim. They aren't going to go sandbox and hardcore, they're going to keep doing what's working for them by casualizing their games.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by LizardEgypt

This game is riding on the sucess of Skyrim. They aren't going to go sandbox and hardcore, they're going to keep doing what's working for them by casualizing their games.

Pretty much.

I just wish the f'n jokers planning/funding all these games would realize they need to actually make a "good" game (for a change) and not a mediocre stupidfest MMO with the hot IP of the minute.

Let's see, I can't think of how many mediocre or crap games were made in the last few years using a big IP that ended up either failures or not living up to expectations: STO, SWTOR, DCUO, AoC, WAR, and the list goes on...

But I don't think they will get it. So I expect any Elder scrolls MMO to simply be a linear Skyrim II with dumbed down control/play mechanics and some co-op features (and a cash shop).

But I'd be happy to be wrong.....

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I wonder if they'll avoid the trinity like GW2 is as well? Tank/healer/dps really wouldn't feel right there.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

just hope they dont follow swtor and make it single player pay to sub mmo.