Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• Nebula131Nebula131 Member Posts: 22
    i am... reserved optimistic..we have seen enough SP-gone-MMO go bad..i expect the worst, but hope for the best :)
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by heartless
    I love The Elder Scrolls games. I still play Skyrim often. However, I don't see how they can translate the freedom of a TES game into an MMORPG.
    Will definitely keep an eye out for this.

Easy only way to go is Elder Scroll SANDBOX no other way.

If bethesda desides to going themepark then they alinate the 10s of millions Skyrim/oblivion/morrowind fans, i very doub they goone go themepark route.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    While exciting news it's not exactly surprising. With no details it will be interesting to see what happens.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by heartless

I love The Elder Scrolls games. I still play Skyrim often. However, I don't see how they can translate the freedom of a TES game into an MMORPG.

Will definitely keep an eye out for this.

If bethesda desides to going themepark then they alinate the 10s of millions Skyrim/oblivion/morrowind fans, i very doub they goone go themepark route.

Thats what bothers me about them saying they want to make the best MMO ever lol. Themepark is the larger audience by far, that doesn't mean there aren't a large number of sandbox fans like me but when your shooting for Top MMO us sandbox fans generally aren't the target audience :(

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Have you played Skyrim? Sit there and look at it and tell me how it is remotely possible to make it into a mmorpg? The housing would have to be instanced...they would need respawn timers...I guess you could turn some stuff into 5 man instances..there is no pvp at all, so you have to add it

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254
    I'ts about time!
  • EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546
    YAY!! Can't wait to hear more image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Not sure how people equate a game with 1000s of quests to a sandbox game with nothing but monsters and a sword.  It's clear the game would have to be themepark, like any good MMO< with sandbox elements.  

Though how they will be able to translate the fact that, in skyrim i cna go everywhere the world levels to me to an MMO where players levels matter in terms of grouping and doing quests. 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by dontadow Redirect your anger at Final Fantasy, they started it.  Everyone else is just jumping on the cash cow.   

Yeah and we saw how well they did on FF14. That company destroyed their reputation thanks to trying to cash in. Bioware completely destroyed their reputation also.

But none of the traditional solo RPGS have sold so many copys as Skyrim and zenimax is a LONGTERM partner with Bethesda and by far one BEST compare to EA/bioware or Square/enix.

Yeah, but here's the elephant in the room that no ones wants to talk about:  Bethesday releases buggy games. 

With a single player game, which has a huge and creative modding community to pick up the slack, a messy release is tolerable.  With MMOs, it's not -- at least not the level of the problems that Beth games are prone to seeing at release.  Not to mention, Beth hasn't been exactly quick off the blocks to make fixes to Skyrim, nor were they particularly forthcoming in even acknowledging them.  That kind of thing won't fly very far with the MMO community, where people most often end up paying a subscription fee while they wait for bug fixes to be made.

Frankly, I would have preferred another SP or better, a multiplayer game from them instead of an MMO.  They don't seem like a company well-suited to the medium.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Have you played Skyrim? Sit there and look at it and tell me how it is remotely possible to make it into a mmorpg? The housing would have to be instanced...they would need respawn timers...I guess you could turn some stuff into 5 man instances..there is no pvp at all, so you have to add it

There is already respawning in Skyrim.  If that's your biggest obstacle, I don't think there will be a problem.  Sadly, it's not.

They could do arena combat with no looting, similar to Oblivion.  I would be very upset if you could do it from anywhere in the world though.  You should be forced to travel to the arena to fight without consequence.

Housing doesn't have to be instanced.  It just needs to be designed properly.  If Archage can do it with CryEngine 3, then I don't see a problem.  Just put restriction on placement.  It's a hard coded barrier that sandbox fans don't like.  Though, I don't think any of us want house mazes out in the wilderness.

Public dungeons are a must.  Though, I can see some instanced story content that would work.  As long as it's not intrusive to the core of the game.

None of these are the titles biggest problems.  These problems will include combat style, FPV or TPV, theft, stealth, AI, full loot, partial loot, or no loot, PvP mechanics, death penalty, and balancing issues.  Some hard decisions are on the horizon for this development team.  They will take a beating from gamers no matter their choice. 

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by dontadow

Not sure how people equate a game with 1000s of quests to a sandbox game with nothing but monsters and a sword.  It's clear the game would have to be themepark, like any good MMO< with sandbox elements.  

Though how they will be able to translate the fact that, in skyrim i cna go everywhere the world levels to me to an MMO where players levels matter in terms of grouping and doing quests. 

Well, they certainly did a botched job of level scaling in both Oblivion and Skyrim so heres hoping they can hit the sweet spot in ESO.

actually there's tons of pvp in elder scroll in hindsight, i don't play like that, just don't like the idea of killing innocent people in town cause you can.  But you can steal and kill from people, though with consequences.  

Exploration though is skyrim's only great ability.  It has horrible combat/ collision (always have) and not the smartest AI.  Where it shines is really good long quest lines and the ability to go anywhere whenever and do anything sans levels.  (the game levels around u).

I don't see how u can do that today.  

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    I just ask for one thing, BRING BACK THE STEALTH IN STEALTHERS!!!!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by dontadow Redirect your anger at Final Fantasy, they started it.  Everyone else is just jumping on the cash cow.   

Yeah and we saw how well they did on FF14. That company destroyed their reputation thanks to trying to cash in. Bioware completely destroyed their reputation also.

But none of the traditional solo RPGS have sold so many copys as Skyrim and zenimax is a LONGTERM partner with Bethesda and by far one BEST compare to EA/bioware or Square/enix.

Yeah, but here's the elephant in the room that no ones wants to talk about:  Bethesday releases buggy games. 

With a single player game, which has a huge and creative modding community to pick up the slack, a messy release is tolerable.  With MMOs, it's not -- at least not the level of the problems that Beth games are prone to seeing at release.  Not to mention, Beth hasn't been exactly quick off the blocks to make fixes to Skyrim, nor were they particularly forthcoming in even acknowledging them.  That kind of thing won't fly very far with the MMO community, where people most often end up paying a subscription fee while they wait for bug fixes to be made.

Frankly, I would have preferred another SP or better, a multiplayer game from them instead of an MMO.  They don't seem like a company well-suited to the medium.

Actually thats not the only Elephant in the room. When development started on this MMO pay to play was still the standard for AAA titles.

Will it have a monthly fee and how will the landscape be for p2p MMO's come 2013?

It's hitting after a massive shift in the genre as well. Will it be dated compared to everything out and coming out?

Many elephants in this room, many elephants.

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

There it goes, the end of the best franchise in years.When someone have an Eureka idea like this is always the end for the game.

Be prepared for the apocalypse of elder scrolls.

*cries*

Beta tester maniac

actually there's tons of pvp in elder scroll in hindsight, i don't play like that, just don't like the idea of killing innocent people in town cause you can.  But you can steal and kill from people, though with consequences.  

Exploration though is skyrim's only great ability.  It has horrible combat/ collision (always have) and not the smartest AI.  Where it shines is really good long quest lines and the ability to go anywhere whenever and do anything sans levels.  (the game levels around u).

That's not realisticly possible because there is more than one player.  The world can't level based on all of the players.  Though, area strengths based on overall player strength in the area is an interesting idea.

ESO would have to make level based area's within their world.  You can throw in monkey wrenches here and there (Anyone remember the griffins in EQ?), but it will probably have to be done by area level. 

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

To be honest,

This is the game I would play no matter how shitty it ended up being. Sad right? Im just that big of an Elder Scrolls fan.

If it turns out to be TOR with Orcs I dont give a shit because the fact that im going to be able to reacreate all my characters from previous elder scrolls games and roleplay them with friends chracters is all ive ever wanted in an MMO.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

To be honest,

This is the game I would play no matter how shitty it ended up being. Sad right? Im just that big of an Elder Scrolls fan.

If it turns out to be TOR with Orcs I dont give a shit because the fact that im going to be able to reacreate all my characters from previous elder scrolls games and roleplay them with friends chracters is all ive ever wanted in an MMO.

Not sad. I think I would do the same. Heres hoping the developers take something away from the recent MMO failures in order to avoid another sinking ship..

• termsytermsy Member Posts: 100
    AAA Sandbox MMO with open world PvP? Sign me the HELL UP.

Originally posted by DAS1337

That's not realisticly possible because there is more than one player.  The world can't level based on all of the players.  Though, area strengths based on overall player strength in the area is an interesting idea.

ESO would have to make level based area's within their world.  You can throw in monkey wrenches here and there (Anyone remember the griffins in EQ?), but it will probably have to be done by area level. 

You could create asystem where each creature reacts differently dependong on the level of the player hittin them? does that make sense. OF course this is theory game craft. I don't eve nnow how possible that programming is

• AtanosAtanos Member Posts: 20
    By Azura!!!!  by Azura!!!  By Azura!!!!
  • arche22arche22 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Ugh, please no, stop this right now. Do not ruin the TES name. There is no concievable way you can keep the same quality, don't do this, I beg you!
  • dezlandezlan Member Posts: 2
    I really wish the combat in the MMO could similar to that of the games. It won't feel like TES if they cop out and do the standard hotkey bar and auto attack that seems to be the go-to system these days...

Originally posted by DAS1337

You could create asystem where each creature reacts differently dependong on the level of the player hittin them? does that make sense. OF course this is theory game craft. I don't eve nnow how possible that programming is

In theory, yes.

In execution?  That's a lot of work to do.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

IF they can pull this off, and create a true TES MMO, then I'd not only buy the newest possible rig to run it as well as possible, but I'd buy a new house closer to the servers.

I am a bit sceptical, but a combination of TES and DAOC could be the holy grail of MMOs.