Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    OMG!!! SO many qoestions, so many doubts but it sure is damn exciting!!!
  • AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

"Just please, no "arrow to the knee" jokes."

Well, there goes my post......................

i wanted to make a witty joke, but then i took an arrow to the knee

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Part of me says, "It's about muthascratchin time!".  The other part says, "so this is how a singleplayer franchise dies".  I just hope this doesn't end up like SWTOR, a great singleplayer RPG that was ruined by converting it into an MMO.  Time will tell though and I really do hope this will turn out great, but I would rather just keep playing the single player versions of these games.  Yeh, yeh I know, SWTOR already plays like a single player game, but you know what I mean.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by DarkPony

OMFG!

Already 9000 x better than GW2!!! ;-)

And Zenimax?!! <3

Really love that studio since FONV, possibly one of the best written games ever. Also one of the most immersive sprpg's I ever played.

Realy promising news.

I have actually always wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO, but at the same time, it's such a huge task and I have worried that it would get really fouled up if it ever happened.  So while I agree with your excitement.....I can't say "already 9000x better than GW2," because I have no idea what they're going to do with this HUGE and GREAT intellectual property.  There is such a massive possibility of success and also such an overwhelmingly large potential for failure....failure on a level greater than that of SWTOR, I'm afraid.  Let's hope against all hope that that does NOT come to fruition, because this could be the greatest MMO of all time.  What could match it if it was well done?  Nothing.  Earth shattering potential both for making us dance for joy or causing us to cry rivers of bitter tears.

Fully agree with you. Just was a little shocked by this news :)

Just hoping they aren't trying to reinvent the themepark mold like so many other games have tried. Player freedom, immersion and a seamless (exterior) world should be top priorities. Let's hope they get to sneak in some more sandbox too.

p.s. the GW2 remark was just a friendly poke at the GW2 fans <3

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

I have to be honest, even though I'm excited about an Elder Scrolls MMO, I would much rather have a co-op Elder Scrolls where I and friends can just roam around, instead of having to deal with xXDrizztXx or Legollollas123 running around. 

Still it's pretty exciting news, specially the 3 Faction PvP (even though I'm a PvE carebear to the core).

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by joocheese

If they take their time and ensure that it is done right, similarlly to Anet's GW2, then yes, ESO will be epic beyond anything we've ever seen before. But... and its a big BUT... if they pull the same sh*t as they did with LOTRO, WAR and SWTOR, then ESO will be just another huge and epic dissapointment.

The danger with making mmorpgs based on hugely popular franchises is that game becoming heavily dependent on the franchise and not in the game itself. SWTOR is the best example.

Bethesda, if you're reading this please give Anet a call and get some tips from them. Avoid EA!

<rollseyes> 

While we're at it, maybe we can have President Obama give ArenaNet a call to get some tips on how to run the country.  Or maybe we can get the Cancer Institute to call ArenaNet to get some tips on how to cure cancer.  

Gimme a break...

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Just want to throw it out there and I will be happy to take a warning for it.

Thanks BIOWARE for fucking up Single player RPG's for good. Now everyone wants to take single player games and put them online for a sub fee. This is crap and no chance it will end well. It will screw up a legendary franchise.

The devs are just pissed it was so easy to bootleg torrent the Skyrim Razor version and they lost out on money. Next up Mass Effect MMO.....Modern Warfare MMO.......Bioshock MMO.....Pokemon MMO.....

When will the crap end?

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Be on the lookout for another serious misuse of IP. An Elder Scroll that Bethesda has nothing to do with, obviously focusing on an aspect of the game that none of the other games ever focused on PVP or good players attacking good players.  

IF the game was going to be something other than a normal MMO or bring something new to the table it would be toted like the TOR and GW2 announcements.  GW2 said from the get go they were taking out the trinity TOR talked about stories in their press release.

If it's anything more than multiplayer Skyrim, it's already a failure.  

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by RebelScum99

If they take their time and ensure that it is done right, similarlly to Anet's GW2, then yes, ESO will be epic beyond anything we've ever seen before. But... and its a big BUT... if they pull the same sh*t as they did with LOTRO, WAR and SWTOR, then ESO will be just another huge and epic dissapointment.

The danger with making mmorpgs based on hugely popular franchises is that game becoming heavily dependent on the franchise and not in the game itself. SWTOR is the best example.

Bethesda, if you're reading this please give Anet a call and get some tips from them. Avoid EA!

While we're at it, maybe we can have President Obama give ArenaNet a call to get some tips on how to run the country.  Or maybe we can get the Cancer Institute to call ArenaNet to get some tips on how to cure cancer.  

Gimme a break...

Yeah, please don't call Anet, Zenimax. V_V Immersion and art of GW2 are fine but you don't really need advice on that, do you?

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Puremallace

Just want to throw it out there and I will be happy to take a warning for it.

Thanks BIOWARE for fucking up Single player RPG's for good. Now everyone wants to take single player games and put them online for a sub fee. This is crap and no chance it will end well. It will screw up a legendary franchise.

Redirect your anger at Final Fantasy, they started it.  Everyone else is just jumping on the cash cow.  

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Holy Canoli!

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Gimme a break...

Someone says A game developer should take tips from another game developer and you equate that with curing cancer and running the country? Awsome, got to love a rational post like this lol.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I was affraid of this my most favorite series as solo game going mmorpg. But offcorse with mind boggeling sales of Skyrim and with succes of this series for so long it was prolly inevitable that a mmo should follow.

Skyrim HUGE 13million copys sold for solo rpg thats insane, with long running series this could if handle very welll be best ever MMO in history EASY.

Internet was for while over floaded witth arrow to the knee now we get a TSUNAMI of arrow to the knee jokes hehe.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by dontadow

Redirect your anger at Final Fantasy, they started it.  Everyone else is just jumping on the cash cow. 

Yeah and we saw how well they did on FF14. That company destroyed their reputation thanks to trying to cash in. Bioware completely destroyed their reputation also.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I will also be excited to see the hypocricy in the gaming community of ESO is made similiarly to the single player games.  You know, how people want to be able to steal, kill, loot, and conquer.  Then if Zenimax actually designs the game around those aspects, the same people will complain that they are getting stolen from, killed and looted, and conquered.

We know there are really only two ways that this game can be developed.  One, made into a themepark where most of the core elements of the game are forsaken for simplicity.  Two, developed with the core gameplay elements intact.  I personally don't feel that there is any significant advantage from doing either to be honest.  ES purists will cry foul and push the game away or it will be a slightly niche sandbox MMO.

The biggest aspect of the game will be it's combat.  I don't mean to say that combat makes ES games.  It doesn't, but, FPV is wildly unpopular in the MMO genre and free form combat rarely ever works.  I feel that there will be a lot of upset people no matter what the decision will be.  FPS?  Tab?  It will surely piss off some people.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Originally posted by DarkPony

OMFG!

Already 9000 x better than GW2!!! ;-)

And Zenimax?!! <3

Really love that studio since FONV, possibly one of the best written games ever. Also one of the most immersive sprpg's I ever played.

Realy promising news.

On the off chance they dont totally F**k it up and can release it before 2020 it MIGHT be better than GW2. I love the Elder Scrolls lore and world. IF they can pull it off then it will be worth getting excited over, till then might wanna cool your jets. It would not be the 1st ( or last ) good IP that got ass raped  when someone got the bright idea of jumping on the MMO bandwagon.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I love The Elder Scrolls games. I still play Skyrim often. However, I don't see how they can translate the freedom of a TES game into an MMORPG.

Will definitely keep an eye out for this.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Segun777

Their lore is for real, but the MMO market is bloated and ripe for bubble popping. If they go for a darker, more reaslitc version of middle ages politics I could see a niche opening up with the Game of Thrones crowd, but this game is what 3 years away?! Frankly I think any new MMO's after 2013 are sucker bets.

the original acticle says it will be out next year.......browser game anyone??

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    We'll start learning more very shortly. High hopes we'll just have to see. At least it's only next year and not a decade away till release scheduelled so we'll see all!
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Puremallace
    Originally posted by dontadow Redirect your anger at Final Fantasy, they started it.  Everyone else is just jumping on the cash cow.   
    Yeah and we saw how well they did on FF14. That company destroyed their reputation thanks to trying to cash in. Bioware completely destroyed their reputation also.

But none of the traditional solo RPGS have sold so many copys as Skyrim and zenimax is a LONGTERM partner with Bethesda and by far one BEST compare to EA/bioware or Square/enix.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

By the sounds of it, Im in the same boat as alot of Elder Scrolls fans. Excited but hesitant given the track record for big names producing failing MMO's. (no need to name names)

I would absolutely fall in love with a return to the elder scroll roots (think Daggerfall/Morrowind). Put choices back in the players hands specifically with player class/skill choices. My trepidation comes from the movement in recent MMORPG's towards a more simplified approach to content.

This hype will be hard to resist...

• OldsaltOldsalt Member Posts: 41
    I use Skooma because it makes me work harder and longer, so I can make more money,so I can buy more Skooma. I don't see a problem with that.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you have to catch up.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by oubers

Originally posted by Segun777

Their lore is for real, but the MMO market is bloated and ripe for bubble popping. If they go for a darker, more reaslitc version of middle ages politics I could see a niche opening up with the Game of Thrones crowd, but this game is what 3 years away?! Frankly I think any new MMO's after 2013 are sucker bets.

the original acticle says it will be out next year.......browser game anyone??

If you'd read you'd have seen it's already been in DEVELOPMENT a number of years, no it's not a browser game

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Its to early to tell, Elder Scrolls is a big name, but we have seen big names goto MMOs and fail.

Time will tell we have to little information, but I for one am hopefull :)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Bethesda : Elder Scrolls Online will not be Sandbox MMO

Kidding :P

It was about damn time !