Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by Fisud

I think as any busyness, your personal opnion goes accordingly with what you "have"to say so you get that extra bonus by the end of the month... from what you guys said, you made seem that TERA is inferior to gw2 in any way other then combat... and since many ppl are already givin up on tera because they cant really get the combat system right, if anybody takes in consideration what you said here, they will all go for gw2... thats BS...

I haven't plaid gw2, but most of the TERA comunity did, and thats a topic well discussed on zone chat... and most, not to say, like 80-90% of ppl really didn't thought all that of gw2, everyone is saying that its just over-hyped, didn't really met anyones expectations... and thats the word from the players... not from some so called "expert" that gets cash to say this or that...

I like this site/comunity alot, so please, don't make me (and others) hate you to promote 1 mmo... sadly most ppl don't take their own conclusions, they just folow what the ppl they think are experts say... be fair, or you're just taking profit of this comunity...

It's normal for most of the mmorpgs(Rift, SWTOR, etc.). They love to use the ingame chat for trash and small talk. Especially in the beta. The Island of Dawn was a social Hub for "some" people and they didn't represent the community of the game at all. Most of them didn't even played both games.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Kehdar

After playing both games i tend to agree with this article, 

Questing and exploring GW2 wins. 

On questing I'm still unsure if it will matter after you run the same events over and over, but atm they are better. 

In exploration Tera is really lacking, i mean the envirment is gorgeous and rich but there is no point in exploring, no chests, no achievements, no rare mobs spawning in secret area. 

Combat Tera wins.

"If I mess up a dodge in TERA and lose a chunk of life, it’s my own fault, but even doing things perfectly in Guild Wars 2 can swiftly see my health pool depleted."

I had the exact same feeeling. The combat just felt wrong to me, the dodge was more a 1 second invulnerability than a real dodge. I didn't get damaged cause i was invulnerable while rolling not cause i actually dodged the blow.

Graphics Tera wins imo but this is more a personal taste.

I agree with your whole post, especially the yellow parts. 

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230
     Dominus is being shut down  guys..image
  • kurgkurg Member Posts: 10
    I tried the two betas and my conclusion it's that Tera it's bored like hell and GW2 it's all fresh and funny
  • BolongoBolongo Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Sybnal

I havn't tried Tera, but I'm still an inch away from buying it out of boredom.

So let me get this strait about the combat.  In GW2 you can use abilities on the move and dodge occasionally and in Tera you can dodge all the time but can't use abilites on the move? GW2 is tabbed target and Tera uses aimed targeting?  Is there more to it than that?

Almost right. Here's the important error that everyone in these comments is making: "GW2 is tab-targetting".....     I facepalm everytime I read this. Anyone who claims this cannot have played GW2, or if they did they have the attention span of TotalBiscuit...  Yes, you CAN tab-target if you want, but it is by no means necessary. You can freeroam and swing your weapon as you like. The game never prevents you from whiffing, it expects you to figure out attack ranges and arcs on your own, like a big boy.

_____
    Bright indications singe cool undisciplined hours.

• DreadstoneDreadstone Member UncommonPosts: 125

Originally posted by NBlitz

Combat Tera wins.

... The combat just felt wrong to me, the dodge was more a 1 second invulnerability than a real dodge. I didn't get damaged cause i was invulnerable while rolling not cause i actually dodged the blow.

This is incorrect.  If you don't time youf dodge correctly and the mob hits you get damaged.  The dodge will move you to a new position which leaves the mob vulnerable.

I think you may be confusing Tera's dodge with the block mechanic.  Lancers (the Tera tank class) have a block talent in which they don't move but it does prevent damage as long as you stay in the block with your shield up.  This uses time and leaves you facing the mob which can still attack as soon as you drop your shield.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Questing and exploring GW2 wins. 

On questing I'm still unsure if it will matter after you run the same events over and over, but atm they are better. 

In exploration Tera is really lacking, i mean the envirment is gorgeous and rich but there is no point in exploring, no chests, no achievements, no rare mobs spawning in secret area. 

Combat Tera wins.

"If I mess up a dodge in TERA and lose a chunk of life, it’s my own fault, but even doing things perfectly in Guild Wars 2 can swiftly see my health pool depleted."

I had the exact same feeeling. The combat just felt wrong to me, the dodge was more a 1 second invulnerability than a real dodge. I didn't get damaged cause i was invulnerable while rolling not cause i actually dodged the blow.

Graphics Tera wins imo but this is more a personal taste.

I wish I could watch someone who has this problem with GW2 combat. My first instinct is that those people simply don't understand it's combat, but thats pretty arrogent of me so thats out. Even if it were true, its up to a developer to teach the combat to the player.

When I was playing my Warrior in the Tera beta, my "dodge" would take me through the enemy. It didn't feel anymore like a real dodge than in GW2 but more restrictive. Just an invicibility window.

• UniversumUniversum Member Posts: 39

Alright, read up to page 10 then started super scrolling. 

Played TERA for a few weekends, then got a refund before launch.  I'll be playing GW2.

I wanted to dual weild two MMOs at the same time, yet I quite like the number one.  Maybe it's because I was born on the first, or maybe because I feel we're all one divine consciousness, who knows?  I like one main MMO.

TERA  was fun at first, and I was sad when I asked for a refund.  One of the less tough break-ups, yet still a little sad.  Customer service in TERA is great by the way.  Yet, I don't like politics, and it's tough to play solo in TERA.  I would have liked to not have animation locks in TERA, during my first play through, I tried jumping off a mini wall, and to shoot my bolt, alas, it did not fire.  Great graphics though. 

Anyways, it's always up to the gamer on which game to play, and this gamer chooses GW2. 

Originally posted by Bolongo

Almost right. Here's the important error that everyone in these comments is making: "GW2 is tab-targetting".....     I facepalm everytime I read this. Anyone who claims this cannot have played GW2, or if they did they have the attention span of TotalBiscuit...  Yes, you CAN tab-target if you want, but it is by no means necessary. You can freeroam and swing your weapon as you like. The game never prevents you from whiffing, it expects you to figure out attack ranges and arcs on your own, like a big boy.

Tab targeting implies locking on a target.  Are you saying you don't lock on a target?  That you will damage the target with a non-AoE attack even if you haven't locked target on them?  Tera's combat is based on where you aim your reticle, not what target you locked on before attacking.  Is this the case in GW2?

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Dreadstone

This is incorrect.  If you don't time youf dodge correctly and the mob hits you get damaged.  The dodge will move you to a new position which leaves the mob vulnerable.

I think you may be confusing Tera's dodge with the block mechanic.  Lancers (the Tera tank class) have a block talent in which they don't move but it does prevent damage as long as you stay in the block with your shield up.  This uses time and leaves you facing the mob which can still attack as soon as you drop your shield.

Sorry but i'm not confused, and there is no mistake.

In Tera if i dodge i actually move out of the way of the blow, if i end outside the impact area i'm safe if not even if i'm still in dodge i get hit.

In GW2 you are invulnerable while you are perfoming a dodge if you fail to time your dodge and it ends before the blow hits you get damaged, cause is almost impossible from what i saw to get out of the way from a blow in GW2, attacks in gw2 have huge radius aoe.

I'm not talking about blocking in Tera cause it is a different matter.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

Anyone smart enough, would play both games.  why?  it will prevent boredom forever.  wich seems to be the most common outcome in MMO eventually.

don't rush playing, and budget your time, from one game to another.  i assure you , you gonna be having constant fun.

In Tera if i dodge i actually move out of the way of the blow, if i end outside the impact area i'm safe if not even if i'm still in dodge i get hit.

In GW2 you are invulnerable while you are perfoming a dodge if you fail to time your dodge and it ends before the blow hits you get damaged, cause is almost impossible from what i saw to get out of the way from a blow in GW2, attacks in gw2 have huge radius aoe.

So are you saying that is the same and GW2 is harder as the AoE of attacks are genreally bigger?

EDIT: I just hate it when you post something, and the poster below you posts on the same thing and you get ingored. :)

Combat Tera wins.

... The combat just felt wrong to me, the dodge was more a 1 second invulnerability than a real dodge. I didn't get damaged cause i was invulnerable while rolling not cause i actually dodged the blow.

If it doesn't count it as an invulnerability then why does the text EVADED appear as the dodge was happening?

TERA does this too, for certain classes like warrior and slayer only. The devs explained the reason they decided to add this for those classes. Priest, Archer & Sorcerer's dodges aren't registered the same so a succesful dodge isn't counted as an invulnerability. Due to the whole active collision detection, which GW2 does not have.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Originally posted by Bolongo

Tab targeting implies locking on a target.  Are you saying you don't lock on a target?  That you will damage the target with a non-AoE attack even if you haven't locked target on them?  Tera's combat is based on where you aim your reticle, not what target you locked on before attacking.  Is this the case in GW2?

I didn't need to tab target to execute attacks, I'd just execute them and hit what was in front of me. Clear enough? AND I play TERA before you go off accusing me of beign a GW2 fanboi or something...

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Dreadstone This is incorrect.  If you don't time youf dodge correctly and the mob hits you get damaged.  The dodge will move you to a new position which leaves the mob vulnerable. I think you may be confusing Tera's dodge with the block mechanic.  Lancers (the Tera tank class) have a block talent in which they don't move but it does prevent damage as long as you stay in the block with your shield up.  This uses time and leaves you facing the mob which can still attack as soon as you drop your shield.
    Sorry but i'm not confused, and there is no mistake.In Tera if i dodge i actually move out of the way of the blow, if i end outside the impact area i'm safe if not even if i'm still in dodge i get hit.In GW2 you are invulnerable while you are perfoming a dodge if you fail to time your dodge and it ends before the blow hits you get damaged, cause is almost impossible from what i saw to get out of the way from a blow in GW2, attacks in gw2 have huge radius aoe. I'm not talking about blocking in Tera cause it is a different matter.

You can evade an attack by moving out of the way, the hitboxes are just really large. Or you didn't move enough.

This is incorrect.  ...

Sorry, this was my mistake.  I was confused about which game you were referring to.

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254
    Tera and GW2 are totally different games. Why compare them? I like both for different reasons.

TERA does this too, for certain classes like warrior and slayer only. The devs explained the reason they decided to add this for those classes. Priest, Archer & Sorcerer's dodges aren't registered the same so a succesful dodge isn't counted as an invulnerability. Due to the whole active collision detection, which GW2 does not have.

Actually, GW2 does have active collision detection. If enemies get in the way of a ranged attack for example it does not hit the intended (see Tabbed) target.

Unless thats not what you are reffering to.

Originally posted by Purgatus

Actually, GW2 does have active collision detection. If enemies get in the way of a ranged attack for example it does not hit the intended (see Tabbed) target.

Well, there is no collision detection between characters, you can walk through someone.

Originally posted by muthax

I didn't need to tab target to execute attacks, I'd just execute them and hit what was in front of me. Clear enough? AND I play TERA before you go off accusing me of beign a GW2 fanboi or something...

rofl.  I've never played GW2.  I was just asking a question.  Chill out man. :)

Originally posted by Alot

Well, there is no collision detection between characters, you can walk through someone.

True. I mean only attacks.

Not even unless you target the enemy (GW2)? I didn't PvP. In PvE it was active for targeted mobs.

Hmm, not quite. The TERA devs were calling it active collision detection. I think that's what they meant with you could dodge something at the last minute and it wouldn't register as a hit. No magical invulnerability or something like that.

Not even unless you target the enemy (GW2)? I didn't PvP. In PvE it was active for targeted mobs.

Hmm, not quite. The TERA devs were calling it active collision detection. I think that's what they meant with you could dodge something at the last minute and it wouldn't register as a hit. No magical invulnerability or something like that.

Well, technically you would be able to do the same in GW2 if you were near the end of the AoE-range.

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    i wont go to tera, just because the lead dev is from Aion and if anyone here played that ull remember the lies, absolutely no feedback from them, on top of that when they were saying that they were working on the patches...later on we all discover the lies because this "dev" was waiting for the korean to translate the game...AHAHAHAH...lamer then this is impossible, anyway goodluck to everyone that is going to Tera. (it wont be to long i bet)

Beta tester maniac

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I'm disappointed in this article when i read that TERA has better combat than GW2 *I laughed hard* TERAs combat isn't as smooth as in gw2, let me explain: in TERA you use an ability and your character is locked on a monster so you can't move freely due to using an ability and that's what people are calling a good combat? Also TERA and GW2 both has a dodge mechanic and both works pretty same way. You're probably going to say: THAT'S YOUR OPINION! But Smooth combat > Locked combat. Go play TERA and see the combat yourself not by watching videos, then after that go play gw2 and you will love gw2 combat more because it's smooth. Btw this whole article is most idiotic article i've ever seen, mmorpg.com you compared unfinished game (gw2) against finished game (TERA) HOW STUPID IS THAT? What the **** is wrong with people thinking that you can compare unfinished game versus finished game? Gw2 will change a lot, they have probably few more BWE before official launch and they're planning to keep bwe once per month.