Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that Game Informer has revealed the presence of Elder Scrolls Online, we have a few thoughts to share about what we think the game will mean to the MMORPG space. Read on and then weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.

I don't think I'm reaching if I say we have all spent hours of our RPG time in the world of the Elder Scrolls with around half a dozen games and endless gameplay over the past two decades the franchise has become legendary (and deservedly so). Skyrim has been voted the number one game of the 2011 many times over. Now, we will finally get to adventure in Elder Scrolls Online with our friends, and without the shoddy help of a third-party add-on. Folks, ESO is a reality. Did I call it in my predictions last year, and this year, or did I call it? The scope of an online version of Elder Scrolls is massive. It is the perfect world for an MMO to take place in. It's ripe for the plunder as it were. But what does this do to the MMO market for the next ten years, if anything?

Read more of Bill Murphy's What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

"Just please, no "arrow to the knee" jokes."

Well, there goes my post......................

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    "Just please, no "arrow to the knee" jokes."  Well, there goes my post......................  

Don't worry, we've always got.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

As a fan, I'm very excited about the prospects for this game.

Having said that, we know almost nothing about it yet.  We can guess, but until they come out with some details, it's not worth much.

Will it be another themepark, a sandbox, or a combination of the two?  Will the 3-way RvR be a hardwired instance-based mini-game, like WAR or GW2, or will it be more freeform and player-driven?

I'll definitely be following this game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    Their lore is for real, but the MMO market is bloated and ripe for bubble popping. If they go for a darker, more reaslitc version of middle ages politics I could see a niche opening up with the Game of Thrones crowd, but this game is what 3 years away?! Frankly I think any new MMO's after 2013 are sucker bets.
  • AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

"I was once a poster like you, then...." ya your right, forget that.

Anyways, IF they can pull this off, and in a decent amount of time(IE : lets hope its not 'planned' for 2027 and we just gotta 'wait' for the vaporware in the meantime) it will definatly change the face of the mmo industry. Be nice to have a few 'out of the box' sucessful titles. (And being that, more of the 'trapped in the box' styles die out and dissapear)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

OMFG!

Already 9000 x better than GW2!!! ;-)

And Zenimax?!! <3

Really love that studio since FONV, possibly one of the best written games ever. Also one of the most immersive sprpg's I ever played.

edit: I meant Obsidian, Zenimax is the holding thingy. V_V.

I be bad at names.

Realy promising news.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

If it goes like Elder Scrolls Series, it will fail so ugly hard. This game is only good because you can get everything in 100h. A mmo doesnt work that way. Maybe you need there 1000h and thats a huge turnoff. 

Anyway Elder Scrolls Online is the worst idea i heard the last 20y. Its gona be like Darfalls and how many play that? 3000 max?

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by DarkPony

OMFG!

And Zenimax?!! <3

Really love that studion since FONV, possibly one of the best written games ever. Also one of the most immersive sprpg's I ever played.

Realy promising news.

It can be if done right! We'll see, don't want to get too excited just yet.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

The Hype will screw it in the knee. it already does haha, 3rd big mmo of the decade.. yeaaa right.. lets forget all otehr mmo's comming out this and next year.

Goodluck to them but ohh its as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in nerdrage and were suddenly silenced by a arrow in the knee.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I don't think Elder Scrolls will make a good MMO. They need to stick with single player RPGs. I have loved Elders Scrolls for years and years I really hope with game doesn't kill the franchise like SWTOR did for Star Wars.

Please make it a good MMO!

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Has the potential to be the best MMO ever... if they don't screw it up.

*checks Vegas odds...*

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I just wonder if and Elder Scrolls online is just going to be another mmorpg...... not some big deal as skyrim or oblivion

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    factions pvp?..   Cant WAIT

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Had this launched early this year or was even slated for the middle of this year it might mean something for MMORPG's. Sadly ESO missed the boat to have much of an impact on the genre.

SWTOR - introduced a heavy story driven MMO.

GW2 - Introduces a new spin on questing and personal story as well as introducing a unique action centric combat system. 3 faction PvP  as well.

TERA - Brings it's own traditional combat system with a twist.

The only way ESO makes a significant impact on MMORPG's is if it comes out as a sandbox.

The problem here is that it doesn't sound like they want to go the sandbox route, it looks more like they are shooting for the moon.

"The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

I'd rather not speculate what this means for MMORPG's because right now we don't know enough to say one way or another but so far, I'm not overly optimistic.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

You've got to love how most will focus on the negative.

I'm interested in hearing some details. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

OMFG!

And Zenimax?!! <3

Really love that studio since FONV, possibly one of the best written games ever. Also one of the most immersive sprpg's I ever played.

Realy promising news.

I have actually always wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO, but at the same time, it's such a huge task and I have worried that it would get really fouled up if it ever happened.  So while I agree with your excitement.....I can't say "already 9000x better than GW2," because I have no idea what they're going to do with this HUGE and GREAT intellectual property.  There is such a massive possibility of success and also such an overwhelmingly large potential for failure....failure on a level greater than that of SWTOR, I'm afraid.  Let's hope against all hope that that does NOT come to fruition, because this could be the greatest MMO of all time.  What could match it if it was well done?  Nothing.  Earth shattering potential both for making us dance for joy or causing us to cry rivers of bitter tears.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    It will only mean something after we see some beta or gameplay video 

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    *Dances until his feet bleed.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    This could be awesome, but I'm going to temper my enthusiasm until a release is closer.
  • joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

If they take their time and ensure that it is done right, similarlly to Anet's GW2, then yes, ESO will be epic beyond anything we've ever seen before. But... and its a big BUT... if they pull the same sh*t as they did with LOTRO, WAR and SWTOR, then ESO will be just another huge and epic dissapointment.

The danger with making mmorpgs based on hugely popular franchises is that game becoming heavily dependent on the franchise and not in the game itself. SWTOR is the best example.

Bethesda, if you're reading this please give Anet a call and get some tips from them. Avoid EA!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I don't think Elder Scrolls will make a good MMO. They need to stick with single player RPGs. I have loved Elders Scrolls for years and years I really hope with game doesn't kill the franchise like SWTOR did for Star Wars.

You honestly believe SWTOR killed the Star Wars IP?  That's laughable.  There are millions of fans that have never and will never play that game.  Hell, I will go out on a limb and say that most Star Wars fans have never even heard of SWTOR.

These two franchises are not comparable. 

• TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Oh finally. Had been hoping something like this was going to be announced.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I agree. The only addition would have been some type of small group multiplay. I am actually fairly disappointed that Zenimax is making an Elder Scrolls mmo. What makes the games so great was the freedom you had. Wanted to be a mass murder, go ahead. Want to be the Savior of the people....go ahead. Plus everything in between.

If done right, it could be a great mmo. I just can't see how that will happen though.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by just1opinion

OMFG!

And Zenimax?!! <3

Realy promising news.

I have actually always wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO, but at the same time, it's such a huge task and I have worried that it would get really fouled up if it ever happened.  So while I agree with your excitement.....I can't say "already 9000x better than GW2," because I have no idea what they're going to do with this HUGE and GREAT intellectual property.  There is such a massive possibility of success and also such an overwhelmingly large potential for failure....failure on a level greater than that of SWTOR, I'm afraid.  Let's hope against all hope that that does NOT come to fruition, because this could be the greatest MMO of all time.  What could match it if it was well done?  Nothing.  Earth shattering potential both for making us dance for joy or causing us to cry rivers of bitter tears.

See you at Elder Scrolls Online launch! I mean if it is great who will not be there day 1 ?

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Finally!  Big fan of the the Elder Scroll series, and will definately be trying out this one for sure.  I hoped this game would release into an MMO, now I just hope they do it properly and that the launch goes smooth.