Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Elder Scrolls Online Revealed at Game Informer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
Fans of Skyrim rejoice! Game Informer magazine has an exclusive reveal about Elder Scrolls Online, an MMO based on the Elder Scrolls series of games. You can check out the magazine cover below and read about it when the digital edition of the magazine goes live on Tuesday.

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous July cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

MMORPG.com has you covered with our new Elder Scrolls Online forums. Let the discussion begin!

NEW: This from Kotaku:

Set a millennium before the events of Bethesda's last The Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls Online will take place across all of Tamriel during a time when daedric prince Molag Bal is wreaking havoc on the realm. The game will feature three player factions and PvP combat. Presumably you'll be able to travel across the entire world of The Elder Scrolls—Game Informer mentions recurring areas Elsweyr, Skyrim, and Cyrodiil as locations in the MMORPG.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

This definitely sounds interesting.  Player-driven 3 faction PvP sounds good, but have to see how they implement it.

Overall, very exciting news!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Noooooooooo! My life is ruined!
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Please be awesome!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114
    GW2 killer already?
  • GerrigGerrig Member Posts: 30
    Talk about pointless... Fallout Online, that however would have been awesome. Elderscrolls online... The fortyeleventh fantasy MMO. Attack of the clones...
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

"Ask and ye shall recieve"

Followed by:

"Be careful what you wish for."

It'll be interesting to see if they can put this out with fewer bugs than the single-player iterations.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    I figured I was past my prime when it came to getting hyped up about a new game. It's been a while since I've seen a game announced that I had anything more then a "meh, I might try it 3-6 months after release.", but this one has already appealed to my irrational side. Interesting to see how it goes, but I like the keywords they are throwing around already.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Pretty pretty please do NOT screw this up

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    OH NO! GW2 and now this! I've died and gone to heaven!
  • hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Oh my !!!! I want it, i want it more than i want GW2 !

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Yay another game that seems awesome but will faIl to deliver more than 6 weeks of game play I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

It would be a blast if there was deep and complex combat introduced into Elder Scroll world...but somehow I don't think it will happen...

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

First bit of mmorpg news in years that has really interested me, aside from some indie projects.

And to read that their core design includes 3 faction, open world pvp... I love this! I've been longing for 3 faction pvp sionce DAoC and I couldn't imagine a better world for it than Elder Scrolls. Can't wait to hear more about this one.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    We might be getting somewhere with MMORPGs afterall, this year for released and announced MMORPGs is like finding a legendary-quality treasure chest just when you thought you can only find practise lockboxes to begin with :)
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    It's interesting but I'm not going to hold my breath.  Will they make a story driven mmo, like SWTOR?  Just because they make open world games doesn't mean that's what we will end up with.
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    OMG  they actualy gona attempt it,  goodluck , may the Hype not screw you in the knee.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Nice to see another game being made with three factions.  Looks like developers are getting the message.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Terranah

It's interesting but I'm not going to hold my breath.  Will they make a story driven mmo, like SWTOR?  Just because they make open world games doesn't mean that's what we will end up with.

True. This is the only way I see them messing this up big time.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

"The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

That right there squashes my hype :( 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Do you think they'll make it for PC this time?

I know it sounds good and all, but Beth's strength has always been single player.  I would have preferred they'd stayed there.  We need more quality SP games.  We don't need more bug-ridden MMOs.  And yes, as good as Beth is at making SP games, they release buggy code.  That just ain't going to fly with an MMO.  Have another one of their customary messy launches and the game will be stillborn. 

Gamers are a lot more forgiving when it comes to SP games, especially with such a strong and well-supported modding community there to pick up the slack.  With MMOs, we're like barracuda and our patience is very finite.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225
    While this sounds very interesting, I'll wait to get my hype up. Creating an mmo is alot harder than single player, so I have a feeling they might release a game with lots of problems.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Very excited. Hope its not too far off though, I am tired of long drawn out announcements for MMOs.
  • TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Gerrig

Talk about pointless... Fallout Online, that however would have been awesome. Elderscrolls online... The fortyeleventh fantasy MMO. Attack of the clones...

If this is done well it will replace about fortyten of them.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

"The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

That right there squashes my hype :( 

Yep. replace "The Elder Scrolls" with "Star Wars" and it sounds just like what the arrogant, egotistical clowns at Bioware/EA said about SWTOR.

I also have no faith in anything Matt Frior (aka Mark Jacobs 2.0) says or does.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Terranah

Just because they make open world games doesn't mean that's what we will end up with.

100% agree. I am excited about this news but I will not get hyped up about it. They could very easily botch this.