Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Great Expectations...Met

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by kanezfan

Because if GW2 is a massive success then maybe devs won't make WoW clones any more and then he'd lose his end-game grind fest, gank fest, rep grind, do the same raids and dungeons for 6 months type games and have to learn something new.

Actual gamers view this as a bad thing? I certainly hope not. :)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

[mod edit]

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

[mod edit]

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by Rollmeister

Or it will be too different for lots of people who will become lost and confused and find the game too hard. 

If the world revolved around people like this we would all wear rubber suits and live in rubber houses. That's not a world that's acceptable to me. If it truly is too hard then they won't play it. Those people aren't playing any MMO's anyway that I could think of.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I dont put any stock in mmorpg.com articles like these after you said the same thing about swtor.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Originally posted by Mimzel

I dont put any stock in mmorpg.com articles like these after you said the same thing about swtor.

Now THIS is a good point. Whining about a website needing revenue to pay for expenses is not.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

[mod edit]

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I'm going to do something pretty radical now and actually comment on the article:

"In one example, I found a narrow (and very dangerous passage) leading up to a skill point unlock in the mountains. I had my ass handed to me attempting it alone and ended up respawning at the base of the mountain only to find another player trying her luck. Without speaking, we simply worked our way up the mountain together, watching each other’s backs out of a mutual understanding towards our common goal. In another game, I might have been inclined to let the other player grab aggro and perhaps even die to one of the mobs so I could make it up the top safely and fight the skill challenge mob by myself in order to ensure I would have it. Why do this in Guild Wars 2? We both get full XP and loot for helping each other kill our way to the top and this includes credit for the skill point fight as well. We never said a word to each other and were eventually even joined by a third player, but we all fought our way to the top and left happy campers with our extra skill point unlocked."

This, more than anything else, is what I fell in love with over the weekend.  And it happened CONSTANTLY.  It was always a good experience seeing other players, no matter where you were in the world and what you were doing.  Their presence was always beneficial.  That is not the case in any other MMO I've played.  Usually, I'd avoid people like the plague, but in GW2, I'd seek them out.  Even if it's just to lend them a hand in doing something completely unrelated to what I was up to, it was always worthwhile. 

And the amount of times total strangers would go out of their way to rez a dead players was astonishing.  They'd sometimes drop everything they were doing and rush over at top speed, just to try and save a downed player before they actually expired, thus saving the injured the time and money to have their gear repaired.  I remember in some of the bigger furballs, a friendly would drop and immediately, three or four others were kneeling and getting them back on their feet.  And it was ALL done without articficial group mechanics being necessary and most often, even without a word.  A few Chatty Cathy's will have a problem with that, but the unspoken cooperation between strangers was surprisingly effective.

All in all, a very gratifiying experience.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Originally posted by SuperDonk

Originally posted by Mimzel

Now THIS is a good point. Whining about a website needing revenue to pay for expenses is not.

Same thing as trade magazines. It's a fact of life that industries can control the content of their trade publications when those publications make the bulk of their funding off of their adds. Most of the articles come with a little grease too, in some form. It may not be money directly, but things like being sent news releases, offered prefered beta access,  entrance to shows, and other special favors, that all has value.

People just have to realize that that's how the world works. Nothing wrong with it either. If we can't make up our own minds, use our own heads to figure out what a game is about, then we're pretty sad. And we use a site like this to do that, if we have a clue.

Once upon a time....

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Somehow finding all this secrets in gw2 is what I look forward to the most.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Best game I've played since Zelda Ocarina of Time.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Unlight

I'm going to do something pretty radical now and actually comment on the article:

"In one example, I found a narrow (and very dangerous passage) leading up to a skill point unlock in the mountains. I had my ass handed to me attempting it alone and ended up respawning at the base of the mountain only to find another player trying her luck. Without speaking, we simply worked our way up the mountain together, watching each other’s backs out of a mutual understanding towards our common goal. In another game, I might have been inclined to let the other player grab aggro and perhaps even die to one of the mobs so I could make it up the top safely and fight the skill challenge mob by myself in order to ensure I would have it. Why do this in Guild Wars 2? We both get full XP and loot for helping each other kill our way to the top and this includes credit for the skill point fight as well. We never said a word to each other and were eventually even joined by a third player, but we all fought our way to the top and left happy campers with our extra skill point unlocked."

This, more than anything else, is what I fell in love with over the weekend.  And it happened CONSTANTLY.  It was always a good experience seeing other players, no matter where you were in the world and what you were doing.  Their presence was always beneficial.  That is not the case in any other MMO I've played.  Usually, I'd avoid people like the plague, but in GW2, I'd seek them out.  Even if it's just to lend them a hand in doing something completely unrelated to what I was up to, it was always worthwhile. 

And the amount of times total strangers would go out of their way to rez a dead players was astonishing.  They'd sometimes drop everything they were doing and rush over at top speed, just to try and save a downed player before they actually expired, thus saving the injured the time and money to have their gear repaired.  I remember in some of the bigger furballs, a friendly would drop and immediately, three or four others were kneeling and getting them back on their feet.  And it was ALL done without articficial group mechanics being necessary and most often, even without a word.  A few Chatty Cathy's will have a problem with that, but the unspoken cooperation between strangers was surprisingly effective.

All in all, a very gratifiying experience.

^This.

I haven't seen this level of open world cooperation in any game.. ever.

Even back in the "glory days" of UO in my eyes, people were still competing in Trammel for tagging mobs and getting the loot.

You should NEVER watch another player die in PvE so that you can get what they were after. GW2 understands this, and built an entire game around it.

This, along with the rest, why I feel GW2 is the first truly "unique" MMO since perhaps as early as 2004.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    I played the beta and agree. This game easily lives up to the hype. GW2 will be the game to beat the coming years.
  • RollmeisterRollmeister Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

Originally posted by Rollmeister

Or it will be too different for lots of people who will become lost and confused and find the game too hard. 

If the world revolved around people like this we would all wear rubber suits and live in rubber houses. That's not a world that's acceptable to me. If it truly is too hard then they won't play it. Those people aren't playing any MMO's anyway that I could think of.

Yes, but the lowest common denominator is unfortunately a big driver in terms of sales.  I don't want a dumbed down game.

I'm 30% Rock, 10% Roll, 50% Nerd and 10% Troll.
    Axis of Awesome - Moderately Rock and Roll

• geovas77geovas77 Member Posts: 14

I had little expectations for GW2 despite all the hype that is surrounding the game but I did decide to prepurchase the game since I did believe that for its price I would certainly get enough content especially since there is no subscription involved and I could enjoy this content at my own pace. 

After playing MMOs for the best part of a decade and giving up on them for the last couple of years focusing instead on FPS games and more particularly Battlefield, the Beta weekend left me dumbfounded and seriously looking forward to the next beta event and eventually the release of the game. The first few hours were a nightmare as it was impossible to even get past the login server but after they finally fixed the issue I did get enough time to mostly play PVE and a few battlegrounds. 

ArenaNet sure did take the risky way, decided to steer clear of the crowd trying to copy WoW and beat it at its own game and in my opininion is about to be rewarded handsomely and set new standards for all future titles. I can certainly see myself playing GW2 for the next few years, there is so much content and out of a relative simple concept ArenaNet has build such a complex game that will certainly take years to master in all its facets rewarding you all the time. 

Hype be damned, I had alot of fun this weekend and I am looking forward to the next beta weekend which I am planning on spending on WvW. This game is certainly a winner in my book and it seems hard to grasp that all this content is available for the price of a standard game with no subscription fee.

Next MMO: Guild Wars 2
    Tera Castanic Priest Retired
    Aoc Bear Shaman Retired
    WoW Undead Mage Retired
    LOTRO Hobbit Minstrel Retired

• geovas77geovas77 Member Posts: 14

ops duplicate post 

Next MMO: Guild Wars 2
    Tera Castanic Priest Retired
    Aoc Bear Shaman Retired
    WoW Undead Mage Retired
    LOTRO Hobbit Minstrel Retired

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

[mod edit]

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Nice to see you are easily amused, let's wait next fiscal quarter numbers and let's all have a big laugh together!!
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

[mod edit]

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Guild Wars 2 is so good that i feel no need to argue with the haters.

I have all the confidence that it will be succesful.

And i havnt said this about an MMO since vanilla WoW so im not some sort of band wagon jumping optimist.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

[mod edit]

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

So far GW2 lived up to what Anet has said.

So far GW2 has not lived up to the atrocious fanboy hype as seen on forums everywhere, and it never will.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    My advise to all:All that matters is if your expectations are met, do not listen others if you like the game.
  • nephren25nephren25 Member UncommonPosts: 143

imho the pve is fun but where this game shines is the WvW that shit is great. i could have spent the whole weekend there and been fine. i talked my brother in law into getting this cause we use to play daoc togeather (all about RvR). so we both were hoping that we could have 1/10 of the fun we had in daoc but we both were really suprized when we had a blast in WvW. We didnt have to roam around forever trying to find ppl to fight we just went out hooked up with ppl or ran into other teams. and you know what it was FUN. i have been playing mmo's since EQ and have played alot of them most of them are grind fest to get to max lvl to have fun. if i can make it that far most games i didn't because it was no longer fun. felt like a job i dont want that shit i wanna sit back and relax and kill ppl. why cause that is fun to me. but this game has sold me just from the WvW point. it was funny i think i only saw 1 person pass up a fallen player everyone else goes out of their way to help ppl. it's kinda nice to see ppl not being complete pieces of shit in games ppl working togeather. i know for some ppl this game wont be there cup of tea but from what i have played sofar im sold you bet your ass you will see me playing.

Azarus the Necro 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

[mod edit]

Any self respecting fan of a mmorpg will play. There hasn't been a title I have past up because someone says it isn't good, no one should. :O

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.