Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that you've played the game, do think gems are buy to win?

Comments

• DeldorDeldor Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by Banisco

This again? how many times will people open this threads only to recibe the same answer:

Nothing in the store is P2W, in WvW the gold required to buy blueprints can be easily obtainable at high lvls so there is no point on selling gems only to buy siege weapons.

If this is the case, that gold doesn't matter anyway, they should make siege weapons and keep upgrades free.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Deldor

This again? how many times will people open this threads only to recibe the same answer:

Nothing in the store is P2W, in WvW the gold required to buy blueprints can be easily obtainable at high lvls so there is no point on selling gems only to buy siege weapons.

If this is the case, that gold doesn't matter anyway, they should make siege weapons and keep upgrades free.

Or make it cost some kind of WvW currency. I think that would be a good idea. Find a gold sink elsewhere IMO.

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

Not really, all the Mystic Chests I opened didn't give me anything gamebreaking (10% Armor buff for 1 hour, woohoo...)

It will only be a slight issue when the game is first launched (Within a week) and the people who buy gems will be able to get ahead of anyone. By the time the normal content-rusher finishes all perks and advantages the paying player got would become obsolete.

*Will be buying gems for permanent 1.5x EXP until 80 and about $200 worth of gold*

• DeldorDeldor Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by dontadow

When someone wins at Guild WArs 2, Let me know

You can easily check the WvW Point Ranking yourself.

Originally posted by Deldor

Originally posted by dontadow

When someone wins at Guild WArs 2, Let me know

You can easily check the WvW Point Ranking yourself.

And fortunately every team can easily afford siege equipment without using the in game cash shop.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Is it me or was that image of the siege weapon page kind of old? The arrow cart wasn't the same price I saw it and the ram wasn't even on that image. I think the supply costs are also higher, so people who buy the weapons still need the help of others and a steady supply stream.

Another strange thing I saw was:

"Want to walk alllll the way back to the armor repair NPC (Merchants didn't repair in the weekend event) and then walk alll the way back to what you were doing?"

Couldn't he just teleport to a repair vendor and then teleport back to a nearby area he was at?

And there was also this:

"Choose the wrong world and want to play with your friends? That'll be 1800 gems (Weekend event price)."

The guesting feature wasn't inside beta, but I'm pretty sure most people know of it by now. He made it sound like this is worse than it is. It should only be an issue for WvWvW.

I don't think that guy is very truthful.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

1st, sorry, I don't take any words serious from that site OP linked, not even bother myself to read content in link.

2nd. Played GW2 beta - and it's not pay to win. Sorry If I dissapointed all haters.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Keep in mind there are items in the cash shop that give more than just a minor advantage:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gem/Mystic-Chests-Disturbing-contents/page/1#post129972

I still don't think it's Pay to Win, but I don't think we should just be so accepting of it that we just ignore the problem it's causing.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Loke666

I really think we should start worrying about this when we actually seen the problem happen.

The golden question is actually how hard it is to get those buffs without getting gold from gems, if it is really hard but you easily can get in from buying 50 bucks of gems each month it is a problem, if any good guild can get those buffs anyways it ain't.

We are talking about a limited numbers of buffs here after all. If it becomes a problem I will agree that they need to change this but I wont be complaining about something before I know if it is a problem or not.

Didn't you get the memo, you're not allowed to be sensible on this site.  ;)

All joking aside, I agree with this quote.

It reminds me of LOTRO when they added the stat tomes.  Their 'available in game acquisition' was astronomically low which made them unacceptable to me and was one of many reasons which led to me quitting the game.

I'd like to add a little to the quote though.  I feel that there should be leeway if '$50 of gems a month' turns into $5-$15/month simply because of the lack of subscription.  I know there's many people will scream foul and rape over this idea but I can't help but feel that if they're giving us such a quality game, why shouldn't they be able to make similar money as all the other games out there.  Especially if you look over at WoW or any f2p cash shop game with a sub option and their double dipping.

Remember though, I said LEEWAY.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Keep in mind there are items in the cash shop that give more than just a minor advantage:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gem/Mystic-Chests-Disturbing-contents/page/1#post129972

I still don't think it's Pay to Win, but I don't think we should just be so accepting of it that we just ignore the problem it's causing.

Also remember that those items do not work in WvW or structured PvP. They are PvE only items.

Of course this could still bother you.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

As from a previous thread I got confirmed that it is not a P2W game yet.

However, If the gems start costing ridiculous amounts of real money or they start selling, speed mounts, subscription time in the store, cash cards or the game drops are BOE/BOP then be cautious because these tend to make it P2W.

Selling cash cards for gems, subscription time, mounts and loot rights are a major flaw in a PvP centric game.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.

Originally posted by colddog04

Also remember that those items do not work in WvW or structured PvP. They are PvE only items.

Of course this could still bother you.

That's true and it certainly makes them a bit more reasonable, but it's still an advantage nontheless.

Perfect World games, Runes of Magic, Allods, anyone??? Check Cash shop items with those games and meaning of Pay 2 Win... Or, really, go to this site http://www.icrc.org/eng/index.jsp, maybe someone found game for own pleasure.
  • NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136
    The Mystic keys are a non issue. I had 9 Mystic Keys drop in the first 7 levels of gameplay and I only came across 3 Mystic Chests in that same time. 2 of those Mystic Chests returned me a new Mystic Key so after 7 levels and 3 mystic chests and still had 8 Mystic Keys in my inventory and none of them were purchsed form teh cash shop..... People just want to complain about anythign they think will turn people from the game. Even if the claims are highly exaggerated.

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

The Mystic keys are a non issue. I had 9 Mystic Keys drop in the first 7 levels of gameplay and I only came across 3 Mystic Chests in that same time. 2 of those Mystic Chests returned me a new Mystic Key so after 7 levels and 3 mystic chests and still had 8 Mystic Keys in my inventory and none of them were purchsed form teh cash shop..... People just want to complain about anythign they think will turn people from the game. Even if the claims are highly exaggerated.

Just because you got super lucky doesn't mean others have.  I had 13 Chests drop in beta and the only Mystic Key I got was from the personal story.  The drop rate appears to be somewhere between 1:5 to 1:10 keys to chest ratio.

I actually have to question whether or not you are the one exaggerating considering in 30 levels of beta I've had zero mystic keys drop and 13 chests.

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

Just because you got super lucky doesn't mean others have.  I had 13 Chests drop in beta and the only Mystic Key I got was from the personal story.  The drop rate appears to be somewhere between 1:5 to 1:10 keys to chest ratio.

I actually have to question whether or not you are the one exaggerating considering in 30 levels of beta I've had zero mystic keys drop and 13 chests.

I had one key drop and one chest drop in 18 levels. So I guess I would have to question your drop rate as well.

I got 1 key, but pretty sure it was gift from some random npc for completed event and also got exp boost from event. However, I've looted only 1 chest till 26 level.
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Honestly.

All the crying I see on this forum about something possibly offering a slight advantage for someone that spends more money.

I hope they offer ALL the best gear in the shop. I hope they offer an EASY I WIN button for 100 buck so you automatically win every pvp fight. Boom, One button press  and I win.

I hope they add these things  just to shut you fricken people up about P2W.

Anet is not stupid. They are going to add fluff items THAT PEOPLE WANT and that is it.

If they go FULL P2W they will lose a massive portion of their player base and they know it.

GW2 /= P2W

GW2 = P2GLAM

If that paradigm shifts, they will not have players.

It is just like the new playstations and Xbox's if they follow though and block used game sales, very few people will buy the systems.You can only force a consumer so far. I think Anet understands this.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by cyress8

Originally posted by Creslin321

I have been opposed to gems for gold since the beginning and I still am.  I hate that crap, and seeing the power of siege weapons just reinforces it.  Yes you need supply to build them, but you also need gold.  And if you have a huge amount of gold that you bought with gems, you will be far more apt to spend your gold on siege weapons.

I was able to constantly buy siege weaponry during my 15+ hours in it.  Gold is not a factor.  I put it like this.  I had around 40+ silver when I left V8 and constantly bought siege weapons whenever I had to go back to the main entrance.  Catapults cost 16 silver, arrow carts cost 4,  the ram cost 4, the cannon 8.  Do you really think people will be so poor where they cannot gain money.  Also, factor in that DE rewards scale in V8.  Last one I remember I gained around 2 silver and 20-30 copper at lvl 19.  19!  

Once people are around 30 one defense DE will give you enough to buy a couple siege weapons.  People can fill their bags with nothing but siege weapons once they hit 80.  

About that time people, trading gold for gems will not even be worth it just for the siege weapons.  You will be rolling in dough by then.

Creslin, did you even do WvW?  Serious question because the weapons are freaking cheap!   The only hard thing was having supply which NO FREAKING BODY EVER CARRIED!!! Well up until the end of beta anyway.  People learned they need to keep this stuff around cause 1 or 2 catapults and cannons speed up knocking down doors alot freaking faster than beating on it.

It's beta, they knew everyone would be low level, and they probably wanted people to have siege weapons in WvW so they were priced accordingly.  I really can't see siege weapons being so cheap that a level 5 could easily buy a tons of them when the game releases.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Originally posted by Betakodo

At least in WvW, anyone seen how much siege weapons do? They keep you from the instakill zone around the gates that take like 10 minutes literally of you and a group spamming normal attacks. They did more damage I do by far and if it's not the ram, you can just lob your attacks from safety. Also, the link shows you can buy influence but it doesn't show the more damaging stuff you can do with influence, which is the WvW guild buffs bought with influence. Lastly for WvW, the commander position helps herd all of the people, especially when you can place markers and you get your own channel and the icon over your head. You have to pay lots of gold for that?

Should really add that some of the cash shop items still bug me too. Ex: they buffed the magic find boost item to 50% increased rare drop rate, the perfect salvage kit is better than all of the kits you can buy in the game, and they added repairing annoyance to the game but hey, you can just insta buy and use the instant repair canister anywhere except dungeons! Oh yeah, and you get 5 bag slots by default but if you can only get 2 more bag slots by buying them in the cash shop.

Pics of buy to win and BS cash shop items in link:

http://my.mmosite.com/1cd10251c16a43d090e2399862b464a2/blog/ritem/ad5e6ed86cc8937c54ab9b9a77ee7e48.html

i just wanna say stop being a cheapskate and spend some shit. I'm sick of kids crying for little things in such an amazing mmo that is buy to play only.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by Cetra

Originally posted by Betakodo

At least in WvW,  Blah blah blah...

i just wanna say stop being a cheapskate and spend some shit. I'm sick of kids crying for little things in such an amazing mmo that is buy to play only.

Cetra you are my hero.

Please people shut up about P2W.

It costs at least a hundred bucks a year to play WoW or any other main MMO + box price + expansion prices.

I have in all reality  EASILY spent over 750$ on just WoW. Just on boxes for family and subscrption prices. That is a really conservative estimate and I am not including a few transfers.

You do not have to spend any real money !! The real world market will balance this out just like it has in Eve online.

If you do not want to spend real money , YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO, just plan on grinding more.

In game gold is ALWAYS AVAILABLE, you will never be unemployed in GW2 you can always go out and JUST MAKE GOLD.

I personally think you would be a fool to buy in game gold, but that is just me. If someone else does it . It does not affect me.

Any slight advantage gained by buying gold will be available to everyone. I am not going to spend my gold without a good reason and without me spending my gold along with other people of like mind,gems may not be as valuable as everyone thinks.

It all seems to be more of a gold sink and fuff items to me.Sure you can charge up your credit card and buy up what you want. I will thank you for being my customer and letting me get what i want without paying. Because that gold is coming from somewhere, and if you want mine it better be REALLY worth it.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

... can we at least agree that the idea of using gold to pay for influence = P2W = ridiculous?

Two of my friends and I created a guild together, and in a mere two days, we had over 2000 influence.

That's more influence than you can feasibly spend over two days, and we were a guild too small to capture any keeps even if we WANTED to.  Unless they radically change the influence prices of things, any guild big enough to get keeps, is going to be pumping out influence at a rate where they'd have no real need to buy it for gold.

Buying more influence seems like something more focused towards really tiny focused guilds with high level (and hence gold heavy) players who want to have all the non-PvP guild benefits, like guild armor, full guild bank and the like.

If you're part of a guild large enough to capture a keep, and you don't have enough influence to pay for any guild stuff you want, there's something severely wrong with your guild.  :(

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I was going to say this but no need to now. threads like these gets so tiresome.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I went ahead and got the free beta gems... and spent  zero, none, nada. I didn't feel as if I needed to spend any gems and didn't end up spending any. I could have as there was stuff that would've been useful, but I didn't because nothing felt like it was necessary.

The bag slots and bank tabs will be nice to have, but there are large bags in the game that make these things a luxury rather than a necessity.

A lot of the cash shop stuff dropped in the world. The boosts don't work in PvP. The extras felt like extras.

The GW2 cash shop items were no more pay to win than the cash shop mount from WoW.

People who want some of those extras can even trade their gold for other players gems.

I wasn't concerned before the BWE. I played the BWE and am still not concerned. If you are concerned then don't buy the game.