Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Great Expectations...Met

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

ArenaNet set some serious expectations for Guild Wars 2 and we were interested in putting them to the test in the latest beta weekend event. Does the game live up to the hype? Read on for our thoughts!

Guild Wars 2 is an interesting game well worth looking forward to even if you ignore or don’t put any stock into claims ArenaNet has made. The visuals shown in the screenshots and trailers paint you a game and world that I’m sure most would look forward to exploring. And it’s just as beautiful once you actually play it, too. ArenaNet’s painterly art style extends everywhere, from the character and area designs, to the game’s UI. Not only is the game visually beautiful, but the world comes to life with all the ambient dialogue spoken by Guild Wars 2’s many NPCs as well as the actions they take. During my first demo with the game in 2010, my jaw dropped as I ran around the last bastion of humanity, Divinity’s Reach, and even two years later, seeing it again evoked just the same response. Guild Wars 2’s art and architecture simply puts every other MMO to shame. It doesn’t matter if you’re traversing the magnificent Divinity’s Reach or the Black Citadel, the clockwork home city of the charr, you’re not likely to believe your eyes.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Guild Wars 2: Great Expectations...Met.

Comments

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

MMO players have been crying out to developers for YEARS to make something different.

Something engaging, innovative, fun - rewarding.

Areanet is about to be richly rewarded.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I, as well as many others, had that feeling as well. Can't wait to get back to it.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948
    [mod edit]
  • SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83
    [mod edit]
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

[mod edit]

GW2 doesn't actually need an endgame at all since it is one stop purchase for the game card code box. All it needs is a good launch, and I have to say that the last open beta weekend was really rough. I am thinking of playing it as a casual secondary PvP game with PvE lite at best. Wonderful how the preview states that they didn't bother with the personal story at all, it is kinda bad with all those cut-scenes and one option choices, very lineear PvE game, though their are PvE hubs like many other MMOs.

Nope, the problem with GW2 is the hype, it can never live up to that. 

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Soon to be the best mmo until Blizzard releases their new mmo perhaps. Can't wait for launch!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• RollmeisterRollmeister Member Posts: 41

I like this game. I thoroughly enjoyed the beta weekend and I'm definitely looking foward to the next one.

My concern is however that the game could go one of two ways:

Either certain aspects will be somewhat familiar to players of other MMOs, and they'll all complain because it's not completely new, different and shiny, even though the mechanics are a major refinement (IMHO)

Or it will be too different for lots of people who will become lost and confused and find the game too hard. 

I'm just concerned that the hype levels will damage the game come launch, which is a shame because I think it's a brilliant game.

I'm 30% Rock, 10% Roll, 50% Nerd and 10% Troll.
    Axis of Awesome - Moderately Rock and Roll

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

[mod edit]

Because GW2 is that good. 

That minority group will disagree with this because the game just dont interest them somehow which i cannot figure out why if they love playing mmo.

Some say GW2 is all hype before the BWE. But now we all know the hype is all real. Everyone loves this game even more after the bwe.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

nice article. but while every other site out there where raving about GW2 -mmorpg was talking about lag issues on a beta.

but  sure the staff were all recouping from their own beta fun weekend like the rest of us!

still a nice read.

can you guys verify if they are expanding the beta wekends to 2 a month?-thats the rummor.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I spent a lot of time with the game all weekend and by midnight Sunday, I felt like I hadn't even scratched the surface. There is really that much depth.

Heck with the next beta! I'm ready to start exploring this world for real!

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    [mod edit]

Anyways.... I agree with the article, GW2 looks and plays like a game made by people who care about more than just the bottom line (I'm looking at you EA).  While the art style may not be for everyone, it is very clear the makers of GW2 take great pride in thier world making skills.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

[mod edit]

Actually it has the best endgame to come out since DAoC. WvW is the most dynamic player driven endgame in the genre to date.

MikeB is only one of thousands of people that feel the exact same way.

If you feel a hamster wheel gear grind is endgame there are plenty to choose from go have fun.

GW2 is gonna set the mmo world on it's head. I think that is what fuels these type of posts. It makes you look desparate and scared.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    [mod edit]
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I wonder how much Anet is paying MMORPG.com

We get like 2-3 articles a day gloating how awesome the game is. 

Even though in the end of day it's just another "MMORPG" but this time around without an endgame.

Actually it has the best endgame to come out since DAoC. WvW is the most dynamic player driven endgame in the genre to date.

If you feel a hamster wheel gear grind is endgame there are plenty to choose from go have fun.

GW2 is gonna set the mmo world on it's head. I think that is what fuels these type of posts. It makes you look desparate and scared.

Desparate and scared about what? Makes no sense, why would anyone be either of those when it comes to the subject of a good game?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Just before beta weekend I was getting afraid GW2 won't live to my expectations when it comes to combat and graphics. During friday i had fun but lag and log in problems really dissapointed me. then it improved so much tyhe next day and Sunday that I can safely say GW2 lives to all my hype. Combat was incredibly fun and graphics are gorgeous in motion. No mmo comes close right now even when the game is in beta.
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    [mod edit]

Originally posted by kanezfan

I don't know, have you seen any ads for GW2 here? Oh you haven't? Yeah neither have I?

They've had plenty of adds running here.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482
    [mod edit]

Originally posted by Distopia

Desparate and scared about what? Makes no sense, why would anyone be either of those when it comes to the subject of a good game?

C'mon Distopia referring to GoldenArrows post not Mike's.

I knew who you were replying to, the motive you concluded above just made no sense to me, I don't know maybe I'm mistaken that a majority of us around here are gamers. image

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114
    [mod edit - let's stay on topic guys]
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

[ ... ] but this time around without an endgame.

Excuse me, what data do you base that assumption on?

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Why do some people feel so threatened when someone enjoys another game that is not theirs? I wish the best for Tera, Swtor and any of the others. Ive played and enjoyed Rift , wow and Eq2 for a long time. That doesnt mean i cant move on to GW2 if i enjoy it. The mmo pond is very big, and there is room in it for a lot of different customers with different tastes

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

[mod edit]

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

[mod edit]

I know this video is old news, but after playing for 32 hours in the first BWE, GW2 is all I can think of. Both my wife and I will cancel our wow subs as soon as the game releases; going to stay in wow not to play but to make sure all our wow guildies are in the same gw2 server upon release :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-cQD3zmFW4

[mod edit]