Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Rollmeister

Two things.  Firstly, what does BAM stand for?  Sorry for being dense. Secondly, if the combat in TERA is not great until level 20+ is this going to put new players off do you think?

Rubbish. The combat starts at a comfortable pace and ramps up the higher you get. At 20 is when you can start using glyphs which add another dimension to your playstyle.

That's why I think you see people say "starts at 20". 

Oh and your first question. BAM stands for Big Ass Monster. En Masse coined the term I think. Started out as an inside funny way of calling the big monsters.

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430
    Both games are good to play but i find Tera the normal type of korean mmo grinding fest but the graphics are awesome and the gameplay feels right but guildwars 2 is just amazing.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Two things.  Firstly, what does BAM stand for?  Sorry for being dense. Secondly, if the combat in TERA is not great until level 20+ is this going to put new players off do you think?

It stands for something only someone who is physically mature, yet mentally immature could come up with.

*Sigh*

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Lazarus71

Originally posted by BadSpock

An honest reply and one I have heard before. I actually really like the idea of BAM's and group based leveling up and all that, I really enjoy challenging group content especially in the open world, but I just don't see the cost of the game + subscription being justified by what I have seen in TERA thus far.

Fair enough Spock, to each thier own. I had the money so I went ahead and bought Tera and for now I have no problem paying the 15 a month to play the game. When GW2 drops I will most definately be buying the game and then who knows Tera might go the way of the dinosaurs for me personally. Only time will tell.

Part of me wants to buy TERA anyway and hope I get enough enjoyment out of it to last until GW2 is released, but I'm trying to be "good" and not "waste" money on yet another MMO that will fade to my uninstall shelf after a few weeks/month.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

TERA has ruined traditional tab targetting MMOs for me :(

I want to like GW2, but watching the videos it seemed like a zerg-fest. Go in mashing buttons, once you're low use your defensive cooldown (that everyone has) rinse, repeat.

After playing TERA with the action lock, making you actually have to choose when to use an attack, the combat in GW2 reminds me of that youtube video with the little fat kid flailing his fake lightsaber around.

For me, it's more a choice between GW2 and Diablo3 to compliment my TERA and EVE gaming.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Originally posted by NBlitz

Rubbish. The combat starts at a comfortable pace and ramps up the higher you get. At 20 is when you can start using glyphs which add another dimension to your playstyle.

Notice I said it starts to really shine at 20+. I myself fell in love with the combat from lvl one.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by Paragus1

GW2 Vs TERA, I guess it was bound to happen.   GW2 for wins hands down.   I will yield the fact that TERA might have a more unrestricted combat system, but GW2 also offers more freedom in terms of dodging over the standard MMO.

The issue is this:  I would gladly give up a little of the freedom as GW2 does in exchange for not having to grind through the quest hubs of generic quests nobody will read, grind Asian style while surrounded by little people with bunny ears, and pay $15 a month do to it.   GW2 offers everything TERA does and does it better without a monthly fee, in exchange for a little less open combat system (again better than every other theme park).

No way TERA survives in the West longer than 60-90 days as a big name in the market.   Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 (both with no fee to play) will give players no reason to pay a monthly fee for a game that outside of it's combat is a complete rehash carbon copy of all the bargain bin MMOs that have come before it.  It breaks the mold, but not enough to justify paying a monthly fee when the market will be offering people equal or better alternatives without one.

Unless you accidentally hit the accept button for a year long contract to a game that you can't bring yourself to log into anymore...and yes I label it an accident!!!!

Join us dtguilds.com
  • RollmeisterRollmeister Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by NBlitz

That's fine.  I was genuinely just curious.  Several people had said that the combat doesn't open up intil level 20+, it's something I read in a few places.  I am keen to see MMOs diversify and I would hate it if the cmbat was slow starting and so the entire concept was dropped/not used again because of that.

I'm 30% Rock, 10% Roll, 50% Nerd and 10% Troll.
    Axis of Awesome - Moderately Rock and Roll

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by Zekiah
    Ten bucks says it changes to GW2 on it's release.

This man speaks truth. BTW GW2 wins btw. Tera is just 'another' MMO. GW2 brings a change to the MMO genre. Tera tries to, but doesnt do nearly as much.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Pro Tip: If you think GW2 combat is like any other "traditional" tank+spank "sit there and spam skills" MMO than you are either

A) doing it wrong

B) never got past level 3-4 or so

C) both A and B

D) actually playing TERA

BAsically, which is why i don't know why folk are getting upset.  So now you can jump on heads and direct the jump, still mario brothers. still the same game. still kill 100 trees. still stupid quests (veteran trees have bark, none of the others do).  

I've yet to find anyone who played gw2 to level 20 and played tera to level 20 tell me that tera has better combat, it just aint happening

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by punkrock

I for one am stuck picking 3 games, TSW,GW2,Tera. This helpd me a little and i will say GW2 is for me hands down, also being a DAOC vet helps to with picking GW2. know do a GW2 vs TSW and i will be glued to see what y'all come up with.

When we can, we will!  ;)

Very awesome news ^_^  thanks !

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I enjoy both games. TERA gets the edge now for me because its actually a released, polished product that is a TON of fun to play. An earlier poster mentioned that gw2 has better performance than TERA. funny, because I can crank TERA to Max setting and its smooth as butter, but gw2 is laggy as shit on low settings. Hopefully after gw2 is optimized it'll run better.

Joined - July 2004

An honest reply and one I have heard before. I actually really like the idea of BAM's and group based leveling up and all that, I really enjoy challenging group content especially in the open world, but I just don't see the cost of the game + subscription being justified by what I have seen in TERA thus far.

Fair enough Spock, to each thier own. I had the money so I went ahead and bought Tera and for now I have no problem paying the 15 a month to play the game. When GW2 drops I will most definately be buying the game and then who knows Tera might go the way of the dinosaurs for me personally. Only time will tell.

Part of me wants to buy TERA anyway and hope I get enough enjoyment out of it to last until GW2 is released, but I'm trying to be "good" and not "waste" money on yet another MMO that will fade to my uninstall shelf after a few weeks/month.

I know exactly how you feel lol. The MMO graveyard of boxes sitting next to my comp is truly astounding. Oh if I added up all that money.

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290

Honestly in my opinion and many others (good or bad that it takes that long) the combat does not start to shine truly untill lvl 20+ when you start taking on the BAMs. I'm not saying that it would change your opinion though because I'm not you.  :)

Well, lets see, you are comparing a game who 'starts to shine' only after level 20, which is ok, because you have to work your way to have reward (n that case, fun). But at the same time you are telling us that until level 20 its not that fun... Well, if compared to GW2 which is fun from level 1 we must say that Tera, to be compared to GW2 have be a HELL of a fun on level 20!!! Much, much, much better than GW2 in every single feature, because, hey, I had to grind 20 levels of our every day MMO only to see it 'shine'... From that point on, we already have a winner even if GW2 is less fun than Tera on 20ìsh... Specially for me, who dont have time to wait the game to became fun... Specially with a game who already deliver me fun from day one... Even if this game is not that fun on highend, I have already had my piece of fun and I am attached to my character.

I will tell what I think from my experience on MMO. Its always the same excuse... The game 'only'  shines from level xx, which is the perfect excuse for a beta failure (in fun).

• RollmeisterRollmeister Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Alot

It stands for something only someone who is physically mature, yet mentally immature could come up with.

*Sigh*

I thought it would be something like that, but hoped I would be wrong.  Thanks for the info.

I'm 30% Rock, 10% Roll, 50% Nerd and 10% Troll.
    Axis of Awesome - Moderately Rock and Roll

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by helthros

TERA has ruined traditional tab targetting MMOs for me :(

I want to like GW2, but watching the videos it seemed like a zerg-fest. Go in mashing buttons, once you're low use your defensive cooldown (that everyone has) rinse, repeat.

After playing TERA with the action lock, making you actually have to choose when to use an attack, the combat in GW2 reminds me of that youtube video with the little fat kid flailing his fake lightsaber around.

For me, it's more a choice between GW2 and Diablo3 to compliment my TERA and EVE gaming.

1st play the game, i always play the games before i give my feedback i don´t launch in the air things that aren´t true.

You are entitle to your opinion but with true valid points not false statements.

Originally posted by Domenicus

Honestly in my opinion and many others (good or bad that it takes that long) the combat does not start to shine truly untill lvl 20+ when you start taking on the BAMs. I'm not saying that it would change your opinion though because I'm not you.  :)

Well, lets see, you are comparing a game who 'starts to shine' only after level 20, which is ok, because you have to work your way to have reward (n that case, fun). But at the same time you are telling us that until level 20 its not that fun... Well, if compared to GW2 which is fun from level 1 we must say that Tera, to be compared to GW2 have be a HELL of a fun on level 20!!! Much, much, much better than GW2 in every single feature, because, hey, I had to grind 20 levels of our every day MMO only to see it 'shine'... From that point on, we already have a winner even if GW2 is less fun than Tera on 20ìsh... Specially for me, who dont have time to wait the game to became fun... Specially with a game who already deliver me fun from day one... Even if this game is not that fun on highend, I have already had my piece of fun and I am attached to my character.

I will tell what I think from my experience on MMO. Its always the same excuse... The game 'only'  shines from level xx, which is the perfect excuse for a beta failure (in fun).

You might want to see the post I made while you were writing this one.  I fell in love with the combat at lvl 1. I am just saying it starts to really shine at lvl 20+. If the game and combat had not grabbed me at the start I would not have purchased it.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

TERA may have the boring quest grind system in place, but what of the DE's? Are they not merely quest grinding? Won't the same DE get old the 5th time you've done it on the 3rd character you are leveling? I'm not going to base my opinions of a game on something that will be dull in a month anyways. GW2 has no character progression. For people that love spamming battlegrounds / WvWvW I'm sure this is fine, but for people that play MMORPGs for character progression and advancement, GW2 will be a 1 month affair. 

I also don't know how people can even begin to compare GW2s combat to TERAs.  Run around in circles like a chicken with your head cut off hoping that your latency is better than your enemies (GW2) or strategic aim-based combat where every move you make has benefits / risks associated with it (TERA). 

That being said, I play TERA now, and will buy GW2 as well. The DE's will be fun to see once and I'm sure I can hop in PVP from time to time. GW2 will always just be a secondary game though, but with no sub? Who cares.

[mod edit]
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Wait the writers actually praised Tera? Oh my, get ready for all the "im disappointed" threads in the Tera subforum today, lol.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Jimmydean

TERA may have the boring quest grind system in place, but what of the DE's? Are they not merely quest grinding? Won't the same DE get old the 5th time you've done it on the 3rd character you are leveling? I'm not going to base my opinions of a game on something that will be dull in a month anyways. GW2 has no character progression. For people that love spamming battlegrounds / WvWvW I'm sure this is fine, but for people that play MMORPGs for character progression and advancement, GW2 will be a 1 month affair. 

I also don't know how people can even begin to compare GW2s combat to TERAs.  Run around in circles like a chicken with your head cut off hoping that your latency is better than your enemies (GW2) or strategic aim-based combat where every move you make has benefits / risks associated with it (TERA). 

That being said, I play TERA now, and will buy GW2 as well. The DE's will be fun to see once and I'm sure I can hop in PVP from time to time. GW2 will always just be a secondary game though, but with no sub? Who cares.

Having tried all of the classes during the BWE and running through the 1-15 starter area DEs 8+ times did not get boring. What did get boring was grinding mobs to unlock weapon skills.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Ya'll are getting trolled and sold hard lol. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by Xzen

Having tried all of the classes during the BWE and running through the 1-15 starter area DEs 8+ times did not get boring. What did get boring was grinding mobs to unlock weapon skills.

So you played the DEs 8+ times in one weekend. What happens a month later, when you've played them 40+ times? I think GW2 is on the right track with DEs and getting away from typical kill x quests, but didn't do any better job implementing them than Warhammer did.

Originally posted by Domenicus

You might want to see the post I made while you were writing this one.  I fell in love with the combat at lvl 1. I am just saying it starts to really shine at lvl 20+. If the game and combat had not grabbed me at the start I would not have purchased it.

I Read it now... Its a difference of taste then. I got very bored with Tera from level 1. It was , for me, the same-same, plus more boring with a very bad graphic art (althought the graphics itself were good, the artistic view wasnt). You, in other hand, enjoyed. IT may be not my cup of tea, then... Which is good to know, since even in the 20ish I would not enjoy it.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

The thing about GW2 is that you could completely opt out of doing any dynamic events and go straight the WvWvW area and level there.   A lot of my guild mates spent the entire weekend doing PvP and kept up with those who w ere doing PvE in our guild.   Not sure if this holds through the entire game but it was going good for the first 15 levels we got through.   Also GW2 has multiple starter areas unlike a lot of MMOs, so you could conceivably play and level up through different areas.