Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

GW2 seems to be a carebear game as it has no world pvp so you have no chance of being ganked, it's basically easymode mmo.

Tera seems to be a lot more hardcore so it edges it.

WOW however will still be top dog and you all know it.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Lol this is going to be a long thread as the TERA people are starting to show as much passion for their game as the GW2 people.
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Nevulus

Originally posted by Muntz

Originally posted by Unlight

Why not just rename the article title, "How to summon trolls in a wall of text?".

Fixed it. 

Yup. that was a more appropriate title for this article.

Other than that, no comment. I've said it all before in the other 516,789 threads about the same topic. Actually surprised MMORPG.com chose to do this article.

True.  I was thinking only of the title.  This is more appropriate.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    GW2 had the worst combat I have ever played in an MMO. Even F2Ps have better combat. 
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Originally posted by Neutor

I just don't get the "there has to be a winner" attitude when it comes to these two games...Lets just all agree that SWTOR is the looser and enjoy these two, quality, titles :)

I have never understood this mentallity myself Neutor. I must be special because I was born with this ability to enjoy more than one game and not feel the need to bash a game or the players who play it if I don't. I really see no need to pick which game is better than the other lol.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by Lazarus71

I really have to question MMORPG.com for starting a thread like this. I mean we have all seen the similiar threads that have been made like this and they all turn into insulting matches. I don't understand......

True, but I welcome the comparisons, having played GW2 and not Tera, I'm curious how others find they measure up.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Really, i find this posts disgusting its like someone want to keep the flame alive or something, only if this post was called "Tera & Guild wars 2, wich one will you choose?" the entire thing would be different.

Originally posted by Sybnal

I really have to question MMORPG.com for starting a thread like this. I mean we have all seen the similiar threads that have been made like this and they all turn into insulting matches. I don't understand......

True, but I welcome the comparisons, having played GW2 and not Tera, I'm curious how others find they measure up.

Fair enough, but we all see where these threads always lead on this site. It seems odd to me for MMORPG.com staff to actually start one lol.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I played both betas and tehy're both crap imho.

Both games don't have anything to offer what I'm expecting in a MMORPG. No meaningful crafting or economy to speak of, no freeform skillsystem etc.

TERA is getting even worse as it is as they decided to remodel the characters. The overly sexed up characters were just fitting the game and now they get rid of it to get a lower aged rating or whatever.
    The combat isn't really that exciting and I was hoping for something more like SoulCalibur. They couldn't deliver tho imho.

GW2 is even more boring of a MMO, and I'd rather go play a good FPS, where I basically get the same features of instant PvP for a single box price.

Sorry, but no matter how I look at the both titles, they simply can't catch my interest.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Fair enough, but we all see where these threads always lead on this site. It seems odd to me for MMORPG.com staff to actually start one lol.

Forums are for text based PvP. Eveyone knows that.  Without VS. threads I might as well just go read the news or a book.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Perhaps they made this post to decide which members to kick/ban.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Neutor

I just don't get the "there has to be a winner" attitude when it comes to these two games...Lets just all agree that SWTOR is the looser and enjoy these two, quality, titles :)

lol agreed. The clear loser here is SWTOR.

Tera's great PVP, GW2 great PVE, what more can the MMO world ask for. If you feel the need to take a stance and defend a game as if it was your mother, I suggest you get out more. They are just games, we are just gamers. 10 years ago we wouldve had neither. 

This type of rivalry is what killed the "community" feeling in MMOs. It is why people play a game for 2 months and abandon it like a bad ex-girlfriend.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

The problem with Tera is the problem with Rift and soon to be Secret World.  You put lipstick on a pig and expect something different.  Adding a cross hair doesnt hide the by the numbers MMO design.  You can't do one thing different and expect people to fall in love with your product. 

And if you like MMOs fine, but this is just another one, and a lot of folk are looking foreward to playing an MMORPG.  

Also, if you're dodging 3 times in a row in GW2 you're definately doing someting wrong.  Also, if you're not taking advantage of moving and pulling off actions on the run, you';r emissing it as well.  I don't think the last reviewer would have the same theories about combat if he had performed harder content such as dungeons or advanced dyanmic events where moving casting on the run and dodging saves your life

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    [mod edit]

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• galdosgaldos Member Posts: 18
    How can these two even be compared? GW2 is the messiah of MMOs ^^
  • FenderSaxbeyFenderSaxbey Member Posts: 4
    While yeah, I think comparisons are enevitible considering the odd fan-base rivalry between these two games, you guys did a great job of presenting really good points about both titles' strenghts and weaknesses. I think the thing we as gamers should be taking away from all this is that it is a great time to be into MMO gaming. We're starting to get hands-on time with more fantastic and exciting titles than we've had in a while. A sea-change is coming and great games like GW2, TERA, and Firefall are but the tip of the coming iceburg. 
  • ApoiApoi Member Posts: 1

I played in the Tera beta, it bored me pretty fast D: might be just me but meh. The combat is new? I don't think so there are a few action combat systems that have been out for a while now. It felt a lot like Dragon Nest, or Vindictus but in an open world area.

And imo it just wasn't enough, if I just want to play a game trying to be like a FPS, why not just go find a good FPS instead = , there really wasn't anything else I found interesting, Story? Quests? all felt generic and bland.

In GW2, I will say the instanced PvP was ok but I'll say the same thing I did with Tara for that one. It only had Conquest which again felt too much like trying to copy a FPS, It's not Battlefield. Maybe when we get more game types, and some 1 vs 1 dueling I'll be a little more interested in that sort of pvp.

However GW2 has many other things I do like, the story, the W v W v W pvp, Dynamic event system, no holy trinity, and more. I'll give GW2 my vote.

Originally posted by Sybnal

Forums are for text based PvP. Eveyone knows that.  Without VS. threads I might as well just go read the news or a book.

Well I guess I'm just the opposite of you. I have always had this hope that foums could be a place for rational discussion. I have never enjoyed the forum "PvP" on this site or any others. I guess though to have a forum that would have no "PvP" it would have to have one member only, me. Now that would be boring lol.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Pro Tip: If you think GW2 combat is like any other "traditional" tank+spank "sit there and spam skills" MMO than you are either

A) doing it wrong

B) never got past level 3-4 or so

C) both A and B

D) actually playing TERA

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

[mod edit]

I don't think the bias is obvious, I think that TERA as a whole is nothing but another Eastern themed EQ clone with a gimmick, just like every other MMO since WoW that has been over hyped and has crashed and burned.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by BadSpock

Pro Tip: If you think GW2 combat is like any other "traditional" tank+spank "sit there and spam skills" MMO than you are either

A) doing it wrong

B) never got past level 3-4 or so

C) both A and B

D) actually playing TERA

I find it odd you keep making the remark that Tera is a skill spam MMO. I play my sorcerer different in almost every fight I engage in. I actually rarely use the set up combos the game provides and change my skill useage based on the situation. I guess it's all about how the player chooses to play the game. I find it hard to beleive it's any different in GW2.

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

Bought both games.

Tera is nice but after spending all weekend being blow away by GW2's WvWvW battles I don't think I can go back to tera unless they implement a similar guild / castle / territory system.

• PanossianPanossian Member Posts: 94
    When I first played Tera I was in shock how companies can keep releasing the same basic crap and think people will play it, how could a human being be so short sighted.  So they updated the combat system a bit......it's still Aion. No wonder companies keep releasing crap, "gamers" seem to keep buying them.

Current Game FFXIV (Cactuar)
    Looking for 1 healer for 8 mans.

[mod edit]