Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom's expectations for TSW cash shop

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I couldn't be happier, for several reasons.

1. sane hype levels. because everyone knows what happens when insane hype levels happen..

2.Cosmetic cash shop;buy optional clothing for real money with little or no advantage to actual game play.

3.Variable extras; Different packs option of lifetime sub.

4. contingency plan; If the shit does hit the fan they have a very viable f2p structure to fall back on.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Originally posted by BarCrow

The AoC cash shop had fluff...pets...rings and starter weapons you out-levelled in hours..temp xp buff potions..trivial. The F2P shop has a little more but honestly i never saw anything in there that was P2W. Some starter PvP (and I think starter PVE raid) gear maybe was the closest...but that would be useless..gradually replaced into the same gear as everyone else in very little time.

It also had the entire first PvP armor set and weapons for sale. That wasnt the 'starter' set, it was PvP lvl 5 gear in a system that went to lvl 10. It is Pay to win in a few cases.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'll be surprised if TSW's box sales exceed AOC's, they've really almost flown too much under the radar with this title and it really is being overshadowed by GW2 and D3 atm.

As for the cash shop, they know how to do it right, we'll have to hope they use common sense in this situation.

Not to mention the only reason they sold so many of AoC was because previous Funcom players gave them a second chance after AO. A good number of those people won't be willing to float game number three at launch.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

I was originally looking forward to TSW, and had a rough plan that I would play both TSW and GW2.

But subscription and a Cash Shop is taking the piss, and now they have really shown how much they want to access players wallets, TSW is not the game for me.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    I think most speculation on whether yes or no regarding the game would be better served after the Beta(s) (assuming the shop is visible). I am not overly worried. I rarely buy from cash shops when they are in game. As long as they aren't 'in-your-face" obvious, doesn't bother me.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Piiritus

I can live with a cash shop like this. Wouldn't mind a higher sub either for a premium game. So far it seems that TSW can hook me for a long time so I don't worry too much. Have always hated cash shops though but what you gonna do - miss the game you have been waiting for years? :)

I can see your point if you're really very long-term fan of this game. 

Though I am not - I less than a year ago I noticed this game and I was like "cool. they have some nice ideas. have to keep my tabs on this game".

Though after I learned business model - it was just normal and obvious for me to resign.

Especially that I am of opinion that Funcom plans TSWo switch to Freemium in a year or so - after boxes stop selling and population won't be as high as it will be short after release.

Hope you'll have fun though.

Imo it is either CS OR Sub. Not both - both is bad.

btw. Don't care if WoW have it as well - I don't play this game and could not care less.

• OldsaltOldsalt Member Posts: 41
    Well that is a pretty ambitious goal. I have nothing against this game,.I may try it. It's just that I was around and watched the hype unfold as Conan came out,bought and played it (we won't go into what followed thereafter, which is now part of game history). My point is that it was a highly anticipated game with a lot of fanfare and advertising, and no other new games coming out at the same time that I remember. I would be very surprised if they are able to beat those early sub numbers. I guess on the other hand ,there are more people playing games now,but they don't have as much money for games to spread around in this economy.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you have to catch up.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

So annoyed personally I was looking forward to this so much, played most of the arg's and I'm aware we've known of a item shop for some time but I was always hoping it was just going to be for admin items like char transfers etc but now we know they really intend to charge me 3 times for the same things, nah I'll give it a miss.

oh well AA next

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

TSW is the only MMORPG im looking forward to this year..

The cash shop will be basically waht AOC cash shop was before it went f2p.. There will be some xp potions, some shitty pets that dont really do much, mabye a few mounts and very basic low lvl weapons.. and of coruse some casual items to make your character look different..

I am happy with that infact I may buy and xp potion now and then if  i need to but nothing in the shop will be pay2win..

Now i think people need to worry about GW2 more than this.. GW2 has no other income other than the cash shop so there will be lot more in GW2 cash shop that could change the game..

HAve to wait and see for both i guess.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'll be surprised if TSW's box sales exceed AOC's, they've really almost flown too much under the radar with this title and it really is being overshadowed by GW2 and D3 atm.

Yep, not bashing the game, but Funcom are completely delusional if they think this title will get millions of players.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

It's not hard to see how the cash shop could raise an extra 35% of the subscription income from the cash shop.

Assuming the sub is $15 per month, that's an extra $63 per player, per year. Coincidentally, that's about the average price of a digital expansion pack. I'd expect them to have one of those in the first year.. so bingo! the target is met.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Caldrin

The cash shop will be basically waht AOC cash shop was before it went f2p.. There will be some xp potions, some shitty pets that dont really do much, mabye a few mounts and very basic low lvl weapons.. and of coruse some casual items to make your character look different..

I am happy with that infact I may buy and xp potion now and then if  i need to but nothing in the shop will be pay2win..

Now i think people need to worry about GW2 more than this.. GW2 has no other income other than the cash shop so there will be lot more in GW2 cash shop that could change the game..

One difference is that we have seen exactly what is in the GW2 cash shop from the BWE, and I personally didn't see anything game changing in any of that.

What we haven't seen is what is in TSW cash shop, and that game is releasing in 6 weeks, which makes me wonder what is up. 

The other thing to consider is that they have already sold weapons and talismans to players willing to fork out a little more for the initial box. Now they said it was only cosmetic and convenience items, but I wouldn't consider those things either cosmetic or convenience.

And saying that you believe the GW2 cash shop will be worse (which may or may not be true) does not do anything to ease concerns over the TSW cash shop and their amitious projections on top of a monthly sub. I'm worried about THIS cash shop which has yet to be revealed, and what's in it.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by Byrhofen

I was originally looking forward to TSW, and had a rough plan that I would play both TSW and GW2.

But subscription and a Cash Shop is taking the piss, and now they have really shown how much they want to access players wallets, TSW is not the game for me.

if your playing gw 2 then thats hypocritical. 

[QUOTE] The other thing to consider is that they have already sold weapons and talismans to players willing to fork out a little more for the initial box. Now they said it was only cosmetic and convenience items, but I wouldn't consider those things either cosmetic or convenience. {/QUOTE] 

Yes but they ar hardly the best in the game. They are starter weaponry and talismans which really don't hold up in end game acutally the most item that I could see being a problem is the ability profiles but those are sold in game too. Sorry can't get everything for free every game I played had a collectors edition and the initiate + main game is basically a collector's for me and I've gotten far less from the other games that have cash shops. Honestly unless you've played very few mmorpgs you have participated and probably used a cash shop. EVE itself has transformed into a cash shop you buy the cards and get the isk they effectively removed the game sellers and turned a profit. 

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Abangyarudo

Considering the fact that GW2 hasn't got a subscription, now it isn't...

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by Caldrin

One difference is that we have seen exactly what is in the GW2 cash shop from the BWE, and I personally didn't see anything game changing in any of that.

What we haven't seen is what is in TSW cash shop, and that game is releasing in 6 weeks, which makes me wonder what is up. 

The other thing to consider is that they have already sold weapons and talismans to players willing to fork out a little more for the initial box. Now they said it was only cosmetic and convenience items, but I wouldn't consider those things either cosmetic or convenience.

And saying that you believe the GW2 cash shop will be worse (which may or may not be true) does not do anything to ease concerns over the TSW cash shop and their amitious projections on top of a monthly sub. I'm worried about THIS cash shop which has yet to be revealed, and what's in it.

I would be very suprised if what you seen in the open beta weekend in GW2 is all that will be available in the item shop...

Most games offer somthing nice if you pre-order and I dont think any of the main pre-order gifts are game braknig in anyway.. sure you start with some slightly better weapons.. well whoop they will be replaced with in game items pretty fast i would think..

If they for one second put stuff in their cash shop that gave people a clear advantage in game pay 2 win type thing then there would be  total riot and people would just leave LOL.. I cant see them shooting themselves in the foot like that. Tho i could of course be wrong...

Originally posted by Alot

the problem is supporting p2win which gw2 is. I've played the beta and it is easier unless your hardcore to use the items in their cash shop. It is pay2win so if you won't support it in a sub game and the pay2win scenario is the problem then you shouldn't support it in a free game either. So by nature it is hypocritical because you'll accept the scenario under certain conditions. Not to mention you can get new weaponry and xp elixers and other content just for playing their fb app for free.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Nice find OP.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

the problem is supporting p2win which gw2 is. I've played the beta and it is easier unless your hardcore to use the items in their cash shop. It is pay2win so if you won't support it in a sub game and the pay2win scenario is the problem then you shouldn't support it in a free game either. So by nature it is hypocritical because you'll accept the scenario under certain conditions.

It is Pay2Win in your opinion, so far there is no evidence of real imbalance issues in GW2 caused by the cashshop. And if you consider any advantage being offered for money a form of P2Win then TSW is also pay to win.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

the problem is supporting p2win which gw2 is. I've played the beta and it is easier unless your hardcore to use the items in their cash shop. It is pay2win so if you won't support it in a sub game and the pay2win scenario is the problem then you shouldn't support it in a free game either. So by nature it is hypocritical because you'll accept the scenario under certain conditions. Not to mention you can get new weaponry and xp elixers and other content just for playing their fb app for free.

Show were this illustrious pawnage weaponry you can get from the cash shop to pawn people is at?  XP elixirs just expedite the journey and in no shape or form provides an unfair advantage.

Quite smoking crack and stop talking utter nonesense.

the problem is supporting p2win which gw2 is. I've played the beta and it is easier unless your hardcore to use the items in their cash shop. It is pay2win so if you won't support it in a sub game and the pay2win scenario is the problem then you shouldn't support it in a free game either. So by nature it is hypocritical because you'll accept the scenario under certain conditions.

It is Pay2Win in your opinion, so far there is no evidence of real imbalance issues in GW2 caused by the cashshop. And if you consider any advantage being offered for money a form of P2Win then TSW is also pay to win.

There is no sign of imbalance with the cash shop in secret world it has only been givingclosed beta. GW2 had an open beta which many left not only because of their cash shop but because it was overhyped. So theweight on you is to show how they items affect balance in the secret world. Considering theres no stats and you haven't played it how do you plan to do that? Noone said I consider every advantage pay2win I acutally have no problems with cash shops whatsoever. I only really feel a pay2win scenario is only achieved by selling pvp weapons that are A) Not comparable to in game weapons you can earn. B) PVP buffs that can't be earned by other means, C) other things that affect the pvp portion of the game (which gw2 does).

You have the issue with cash shops and I'm showing you you're pretty willing to embrace what gw2 does because you like the game but when TSW is mentioned "oh well its a bad game its pay 2win" when you have a less hypocritcial opinion I might be inclined to entertain it. So are you going to stop sidestepping addressing how your opinion is not hypocritical. Now just so all the fans don't go rabid I have acutally nothing against the business model if they can make money doing it great for them but If I play pvp I want it to be balanced w/o cash shops and that was gw2's only draw for me. When I played the beta I was just left with "meh" just not my taste.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

First, no, I am not being hypocritical by playing GW2, I said TSW is not the game for me, due to the Sub+Cash Shop, and GW2 is Cash Shop only.

Second, how exactly, is the GW2 Cash Shop Pay to Win? If I use items from the Cash Shop to level a little bit quicker than you, what do I win exactly? will my prize be delivered to my house or will I have to go pick it up from somewhere?

If you, or anyone else for that matter, think the Cash Shop in TSW will only have cosmetic clothing, especially after Funcom have made it very clear they are expecting EVERY player to hand over another 35% of the sub fee via the Cash Shop, you are deluding yourselves.

As soon as that extra 35% from EVERY player does not materialise, they will add to the Cash Shop, and since cosmetic items did not get the job done, what do you think they will add?

Originally posted by Abangyarudo                                                                                                                                                      You have the issue with cash shops and I'm showing you you're pretty willing to embrace what gw2 does because you like the game but when TSW is mentioned "oh well its a bad game its pay 2win" when you have a less hypocritcial opinion I might be inclined to entertain it. So are you going to stop sidestepping addressing how your opinion is not hypocritical. Now just so all the fans don't go rabid I have acutally nothing against the business model if they can make money doing it great for them but If I play pvp I want it to be balanced w/o cash shops and that was gw2's only draw for me. When I played the beta I was just left with "meh" just not my taste.

When did I say I had an issue with the Cash Shop? oh thats right, I did not, I said Subscription + Cash Shop is taking the piss.

If they dropped the Sub, and kept the Shop, fine.

If they dropped the Shop and kept the Sub, also fine.

Keeping both is not fine.

For me anyway.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by Charlizzard

http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcoms_second_quarter_financial_report_for_2011

Outlook

· Funcom has announced the launch month of The Secret World to be April 2012. The Company expects significant, positive cash flow from the launch of this game. The current target of the Company for the first 12 months following launch is to sell 30 % more game clients compared to Age of Conan. In addition the Company targets an increase in revenue per customer amounting to 35 % of the subscription revenues through sale of products from the in-game store.

Now I haven't seen the cash shop on TSW. We know there's going to be one. We also know that depending on what package you purchased you seem to get some in-game advantage including weapons and a pet that heals you. But on top of a $14.99 monthly sub fee they're expecting an additional expenditure per player of $5.25 on a monthly basis. What are they expecting players to buy every month and is it optional or somehow required by the game?

I don't care about a sub fee, I payed one for WoW for probably 6 years. But I never felt that I needed to purchase anything extra from Blizz to play the game. I'll try and reserve my opinion until I see the TSW cash shop but this is weird. Now clearly they missed the April release date to finalize the game, and perhaps they have adjusted their guidance accordingly or changed their minds, I'm not sure. I guess we have to wait and see.

Originally Posted by Tarib View Post

During today's quarterly financial presentation Funcom presented the initial overview on the planned business model for The Secret World.

At the presentation we revealed that The Secret World will feature a traditional paid subscription model combined with micro-transactions through an in-game store. This information was provided as part of Funcom's financial forecast going forward, and no further details were given due to the fact that we are still working on finalizing the model.

We are very excited about introducing an in-game store already from launch. Being able to integrate the store into the actual design of the game pre-launch gives us opportunities you do not normally get when introducing a store after you have launched a game.

We will be revealing more information about the store at a later date, but what we can say for now is that it will focus mostly on convenience item and character customization items such as clothing - of which The Secret World will offer a ton of variety! As developers we are being very careful in making sure that items purchased through the store does not give players any unfair advantage against those who do not use the in-game store. 

Character power in The Secret World will be determined by how well you play the game, not how much money you are willing to put into it. Funcom already has considerable experience with in-game stores such as these and we have previously implemented these systems without damaging game balance in our other games, and as such we are confident the same will be true for The Secret World. 

We look forward to revealing more about the in-game store as we progress towards launch!

Sincerely,

Funcom

TSW WILL NOT SELL POWER.  They will sell xp boost, but no Cash to Gems to Gold type of thing.

Honestly as long as there are thousands of pieces of clothes (clothers have no stats) in game, I would love to see a huge in game mall. 99c for pants, 99c for shirt ttype of thing. It fits so well in the modern day, be who you want design.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by Ambros123

Show were this illustrious pawnage weaponry you can get from the cash shop to pawn people is at?  XP elixirs just expedite the journey and in no shape or form provides an unfair advantage.

Quite smoking crack and stop talking utter nonesense.

Weapons of PWNAGE? These weapons were released in early beta builds. By the time you get maybe 20 hours into the game there is better ones of course assuming they kept the same stats. Show me where I can affect pvp (as pvp wo't be bothered by beginner weaponry) in secret world cash shop. Oh you can't? how ironic should I remind you of the sellable resources in the gw2 cash shop? 

First, no, I am not being hypocritical by playing GW2, I said TSW is not the game for me, due to the Sub+Cash Shop, and GW2 is Cash Shop only.

Second, how exactly, is the GW2 Cash Shop Pay to Win? If I use items from the Cash Shop to level a little bit quicker than you, what do I win exactly? will my prize be delivered to my house or will I have to go pick it up from somewhere?

If you, or anyone else for that matter, think the Cash Shop in TSW will only have cosmetic clothing, especially after Funcom have made it very clear they are expecting EVERY player to hand over another 35% of the sub fee via the Cash Shop, you are deluding yourselves.

As soon as that extra 35% from EVERY player does not materialise, they will add to the Cash Shop, and since cosmetic items did not get the job done, what do you think they will add?

As i stated earlier in this thread, TSW had subs bringing cash in as well as a small cash shop.. GW2 only has the cash shop to bring in money every month..

If i was a betting man i would say GW2 has more of a chance to have pay 2 win items in their cash shop as they need to get cash from the people playing so they need to be having somthing really good in there that people will want and need to buy.... TSW on the other hand does not need to do that unless they go f2p at some point, and like i said if they did add pay 2 win items in their cash shop they would be shooting themselves in the foot and no one trying to make money would ever do that.. unless they have been eating too many of those mushrooms you find in the woods..

Either way this thread is pointless as no one knows what will be the final items in either of the cash shops..

There is no sign of imbalance with the cash shop in secret world it has only been givingclosed beta. GW2 had an open beta which many left not only because of their cash shop but because it was overhyped. So theweight on you is to show how they items affect balance in the secret world. Considering theres no stats and you haven't played it how do you plan to do that? Noone said I consider every advantage pay2win I acutally have no problems with cash shops whatsoever. I only really feel a pay2win scenario is only achieved by selling pvp weapons that are A) Not comparable to in game weapons you can earn. B) PVP buffs that can't be earned by other means, C) other things that affect the pvp portion of the game (which gw2 does).
    You have the issue with cash shops and I'm showing you you're pretty willing to embrace what gw2 does because you like the game but when TSW is mentioned "oh well its a bad game its pay 2win" when you have a less hypocritcial opinion I might be inclined to entertain it. So are you going to stop sidestepping addressing how your opinion is not hypocritical. Now just so all the fans don't go rabid I have acutally nothing against the business model if they can make money doing it great for them but If I play pvp I want it to be balanced w/o cash shops and that was gw2's only draw for me. When I played the beta I was just left with "meh" just not my taste.

I may consider reading this opinionated dribble if it were to be re-written.