Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• made9made9 Member Posts: 20

Tera = aion with  highly improved combat system and graphics

Gw2 for me

• LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205

Originally posted by rammur65

tera just a basic korean grind fest  just alot prettier nothing remotely diffrent from it except the vanarch system which i think they had a similar concept in archlord back in the day people are just naive to see it at least gw2 just feels so much diffrent than most mmos out there.

TERA is NOT a grind fest. I am sorry, but you seem like one of those people who got bored and couldn't struggle through the tutorial/beginner Island.

A Grind is when you have to grind the same mob over and over to gain a level to gain access to your next quest or when you have to grind the same mob for multiple quests with you eventually killing over 200-500 of the same mob before moving on.

TERA, has enough quests that you will never find yourself killing mobs to hit your next quests. There are enough quests (easy ones to do at that) that will make you fly through all your levels. The quests also move very fast so you're never ever finding yourself killing the same mob over and over again. It's usually kill 10-20 of that mob, and move on. So you calling it a "Korean Grind Fest" shows me that you have not either A) Played the game at all and only attacking it cause it was developed by Koreans, or B) Didn't invest more then 2 hours into the game to actually get a feel for it.

I'm currently a paying member with TERA, nearly level 40 and I am enjoying the game thus far. Needless to say, I also dropped 160$ (150$ + Tax) on my Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchase and I will find myself playing both just as equally. This thread/review is stupid. Seriously, both are great games and everyone is intitled to their opinions. If someone likes Guild Wars 2, they will go play it. If someone likes TERA better, then they will play TERA. This whole TERA vs. Guild Wars 2 crap needs to stop. It's an old, dried out subject that I've seen in the "Recent Posts" box on the front page for the past week or two.

• rainorxxrainorxx Member Posts: 85
    I bought and tested both. Tera is better at the moment. It has better graphics, combat and PvP.
  • zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38
    The article is fine, but shouldn't this comparison be made when both games are released? I mean, many people seem to forget that Guild Wars 2 is still in beta, so it's nothing unusual to see technical issues, like lag, class imbalance, or illogical response from mobs (like getting hit even if you dodge). I would love to see a comparison between Tera and Guild Wars 2, but between their retail versions, so each game gets its due.
  • ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by made9

Gw2 for me

TERA is a pvp game.

GW2 is a pve game with meaningless pvp attached to it.

I was tired of the comparison before but this now has just gone too far.  This is about  the same as comparing EVE to SWTOR because they are both sci-fi MMO's.  Completely different games for completely different people.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Muntz

Originally posted by Unlight

Why not just rename the article title, "How to summon trolls in a wall of text?".

Fixed it. 

Yup. that was a more appropriate title for this article.

Other than that, I've said it all before in the other 516,789 threads about the same topic. Actually surprised MMORPG.com chose to do this article.

Edit: So after reading the article basically one person chose one game, and the other chose another. I'll just highlight over a few points.

GW2 is harder when you are quest grinding, and I like that. I am tired of ez-mode games.

Tera's combat is more fluid and feels like every player has the right tools to get the job done, if they lose it's on them, class balance doesn't seem like an issue so far BUT one of the writers feels that GW2 might have some class balance issues in the future. Well after the whole melee vs range fiasco over BWE, I want to agree, but I can't. Think about it. GW1 was ALL ABOUT PVP. Anet had more than enough time to fine tune and balance classes all those years, and they did. I am sure they took ALL they learned from GW1 and applied it to GW2. So rest assured there will be balance at some point to rival any game.

And while Tera's PVP seems superior as of now, some of us are just not into PVP anymore. I know I am not. It used to be the defining experience when I judged a MMO, not anymore. I actually enjoy GW2's quests. Sure it didnt revolutionize ANYTHING but it did INNOVATE the PVE experience. So let's hope they dont dumb it down and make it another WoW in the long run, because they ARE onto something good.

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

Best phrase:

Luke's -" Whether I’m doing quests or just exploring, mobs are constantly trying to kill me."

Lol ^-^

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Think the people that have not tried both would do well to not post about which ever one of the 2 games they have not tried. It's pretty easy to spot them.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I haven't tried Tera, I just can't get past the asian anime look of the characters to give it a try. I did try GW2 and it was like previous games that kept me for years playing...Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot...There was enough different from other games that it hooked me, so I'll be playing it. I felt the WvsWvsW was exactly what I was looking for and the game as a whole was just refreshing. Not having to raid grind gear to compete is a big seller for me as well.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205

Originally posted by Clocksimus

Gw2 for me

TERA is a pvp game.

I was tired of the comparison before but this now has just gone too far.  This is about  the same as comparing EVE to SWTOR because they are both sci-fi MMO's.  Completely different games for completely different people.

*bashes my face into my desk* Let me fix this for you.. As someone who has played Guild Wars 1 since it's beta and Guild Wars 2.. and is currently subscribed to TERA...

TERA is a PvE game with meaningless PvP attached to it.

Guild Wars 2 is a PvP Game. (Thus the name GUILD WARS). Yes, it has a PvE Story Line, but the PvP is what's mostly promoted in Guild Wars and what most of the Guild Wars players actually do in Guild Wars..

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by rainorxx

I bought and tested both. Tera is better at the moment. It has better graphics, combat and PvP.
    What if I only like pve? will you tell me to go to my carebear game :( and can I play PvP without having to do boring PvE?

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    If Tera is a grindfest then gw2 is the grind fest king. Takes forever to level up in gw2 and the same old questing events which to me is fine but don't say that Tera is a grind clearly you have no idea what grind is, having played everquest 1 since 1998 I know what grinding means. So to the people who think Tera is a grandest go play old school eq and then get back to me.
  • NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101
    Both games are excellent...anyone who claims to be a "gamer" should try out both...why limit yourselft to one game when there are sooooo many good / great games out there to be played?  Personally I can't get GW2 off my mind after the BWE but I have played Tera, allot actually, and really like it.  The questing in the game is lackluster but the combat is fun and the world is beautiful!  Play both and have fun!

Join us dtguilds.com
  • SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

I havn't tried Tera, but I'm still an inch away from buying it out of boredom.

So let me get this strait about the combat.  In GW2 you can use abilities on the move and dodge occasionally and in Tera you can dodge all the time but can't use abilites on the move? GW2 is tabbed target and Tera uses aimed targeting?  Is there more to it than that?

I enjoyed GW2's combat. Didn't feel like a revolution or anything. But it was solid and fun.  Could the same be said of Tera? Or is it just marketing hype?

• made9made9 Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Clocksimus

Gw2 for me

TERA is a pvp game.

dude, you really need to inform yourself about gw2 LOL

gw2 currently is currently the mmo with the best pvp system 

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

Summary: If you want more of the same, play Tera. If you want something different, GW2. Tera is really good, but GW2 is better.

Having played both, I have to say I agree. Although I think GW2 has a much more tactical combat system, where as Tera is more a mechanical skill. 

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Honestly having played gw1 since beta that one was more pvp focused however gw2 is much more pve focused then pvp I tried it loved gw2 but I prefered the pve side because you had more to do.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by Sybnal

I havn't tried Tera, but I'm still an inch away from buying it out of boredom.

So let me get this strait about the combat.  In GW2 you can use abilities on the move and dodge occasionally and in Tera you can dodge all the time but can't use abilites on the move? GW2 is tabbed target and Tera uses aimed targeting?  Is there more to it than that?

I enjoyed GW2's combat. Didn't feel like a revolution or anything. But it was solid and fun.  Could the same be said of Tera? Or is it just marketing hype?

I can only add that TERA at lvls 1-20 is so incredibly easy they you will be using only your left mouse button to win 90% of fights.

maybe it changes later on. I know that in GW2 at the start I was much more involved in combat b/c I was forced to time my skills and actually sue them.

Edit. And about having to direct your attacks in TERA. The game is designed to be used with controller. that should give people a clue that you must be blind to miss something. The differenece will be only seen iv pvp where the targets are smaller and more inteligent.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I feel like I'm in an alternate reality everytime someone says they love TERA's combat.  Aiming is nice, however, locking me in place for instants is the most game breaking combat related item I've ever seen.  People come up with a multitude of excuses as to why being self rooted in place is a great thing...they are trying too hard.  It's not great strategy, it's not elite or hardcore it's just less control you have over your character, good times.  Truly one of the most perplexing items I've seen in an MMO that people try to defend, when it's so obviously lame.

I haven't had a change to play GW2 so basing my thoughts off of what I've read it looks like they are finally putting some challenge back in solo PvE...thank god  (and I can move ZOMG!).

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Xzen

Think the people that have not tried both would do well to not post about which ever one of the 2 games they have not tried. It's pretty easy to spot them.

This isn't true at all cause I played both and yet I've been accused of not playing either game. The 'you never even played the game' is just the flavor of the month insult for fans now. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew tera would come out on top overall. Personally tera isn't for me, it's GW2 all the way.

I knew though, just knew, that mmorpg.com couldn't/shouldn't put an article up like this if GW2 was the overall winner. The ongoing forum battle would have turned into an all out war. Giving two verdicts from different people was also a must, just to save face.

I actually think that both Luke and good ol' Bill Murphy actually prefer GW2 hands down... but that's just my opinion :P The wording in this article is very selective and careful, especially the "as it stands right now" bit at the end, which is a clear opener for an opinion change in a later article. In other words, TERA gets the edge because it is completed and released, but when GW2 is completed and released.................?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JahbuJahbu Member Posts: 1

Played the GW2 beta for 15 hours...then tried Tera and I was in love! The game just feels a lot cleaner and I can actaully see what the hell is going on when fighting with a group of people. The combat was miles better than GW2 in my opinion. I actually cancelled my Gamestop pre-order for GW2:(

Tera is just lovely!...so glad the game is out now.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

One of these threads again....... great Idea.

I have not tried GW2 so far but if the videos and commentary I have seen are an indication of the game I will be purchasing at launch.

As to Tera I am currently subbed and enjoying the game immensely. I love the graphics/art style and the combat. Will I be playing it 3 months down the road, only time will tell.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    What a good idea for a thread!  I'm glad someone finally thought of it. :)
  • NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101
    I just don't get the "there has to be a winner" attitude when it comes to these two games...Lets just all agree that SWTOR is the looser and enjoy these two, quality, titles :)

Join us dtguilds.com