Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dynamic world has spoiled me :(

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Originally posted by Fozzik

I totally understand where the OP is coming from, and I feel the same way. Of course everything ArenaNet is doing with GW2 isn't 100% new and original, but what they have done is put together some fantastic design elements and a lot of little things that end up creating a world that FEELS much more alive and immersive than any MMO in a long time. Things are changing and moving constantly, and just the freedom of being able to explore and organically join stories already in progress...it may not be 100% original, but it's without a doubt an improvement.

I completely agree that Anet has created a more "alive" world than any MMO to date.  You can do that in a lot of ways.  WoW simply did it by reducing the amount of portals and cutscenes...you can fly from one zone to the next, walk from one forest to the next, without much gating, without any portals, load screens etc.  Tera is pretty similar.  Choose to take the pegasus ride or hoof it.  One thing tera has going for it is the NPCs are busy bodies, going about their day.  GW2, the landscape changes as you change the game.

Now, that isnt to say that the world is all dynamic.  I felt a bit of staticness and I felt gated into the zone I was in a bit too much during the BWE.  The highly touted notion of exploration was stomped when I couldnt venture off into the wild without being ganked by a mob 5 levels higher than me.  I thought it was an explorers paradise, but I was very wrong.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

It's an explorer's paradise...with a level-based advancement. =P

It's gated on the way up...so the world unfolds at a steady pace. But Because of level scaling, nothing ever becomes trivial. Once you open up more and more of the world as you level, it never closes to you, and you can utilize all of it and explore every area and event.

Just as an example...at level 10, you weren't locked into one zone. There were at least 4 other areas full of 1-10 content that you could have explored with a single character. :D

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    Seems like most who had negative experience with DE's ran into those same, repeating DE's that happen around hearts. There seems to be that periodic centaur/harpie attack that triggers every 5 minutes or so around every heart. These were the worst events IMO. Around the zones you actually found lots of events that branched based on how people performed, did they fail or win and next 'stage' of the quest was decided by that outcome. And outcomes had some very direct effects to the worlds like locations becoming unavailable to players or new areas opening. It felt epic, and these were the events that did not have 5 minute repeat timers, seemed more like 1 hour or something.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Originally posted by cesmode8

I dont think GW2 is any better than Tera, nor do I think Tera is any better than GW2.  They both have strengths and niches they are going to focus on.  Gw2 is touting the "dynamic content" (albeit scripted and I saw the SAME dynamic content in the same zone over and over).  Tera has its Combat and graphics to sell to people, which for all intents and purposes are top knotch.

A few positives to each:(opnions)

Tera

1. Better graphics opinion - the Asian/manga graphics of Tera disgust me personally.

2. Better combat opinion - I like GW2 and the weapon swapping system much more.

3. Very polished gameplay tie break - both have polished gameplay if you consider GW2 is still in beta

4. Better boss fights how many advanced boss fights (outside of noob zone events) have you done in GW2?

GW2

1. Dynamic Events(if you dont end up repeating them) I didn't repeat a single event during the beta week end, and there were only 3 out of the 5 racial areas available. If you repeat anything in GW2, it's your decision, not the game's fault.

2. Better stories definitely - Tera's quests suck big time

3. More class variety fact

4. More spell/ability variety fact

A few negatives to each:(opinions)

Tera

1. I question the end game...will BAMS/Nexus/hard mode dungeons be enough

2. I question the ability of the DEVs to make it happen, the company is new

3. I question what the devs really can do to westernize the game being Korean

4. Missing in game Guild Quality of Life features

5. Reputation: Eastern games dont do well in Western Markets. 

GW2

1. Are dynamic events really dynamic? Or will you participate in the same ones over and over get out of the noob zones

2. The game was massively buggy this weekend and slow. I know it was not optimized and was a beta stress, but still.. thankfully it's a problem acknowledged by the developers, and the game is still in beta

3. I question the end game content.  Theres virtually nothing other than exploration mode dungeons, exploring, and world bosses you forget PvP (both instanced and world vs world). Personally, after raiding for 7 years in WoW, I won't miss that aspect of the game - good riddance.

4. Gem shop...need gems to increase bag space, bank space, to get more char slots, etc... but no monthly fee... which means you pay for that stuff when and if you want. After crafting 5 8 slot boxes with armorsmithing, I never ran out of bag space during the whole beta week end, and the biggest bags are 20 slots I think.

5. The character models are SO SO outdated opinion (just like for the graphics) - I found them nice, definitely much better than the hermaphrodite manga look of Tera.

So from one persons opinion, they focus on their strengths and try to improve weaknesses.  I think its hard to compare the two because they are two different games in the same genre.

Not disputing your right to have your opinion - just giving a different one ;)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by vee41

Seems like most who had negative experience with DE's ran into those same, repeating DE's that happen around hearts. There seems to be that periodic centaur/harpie attack that triggers every 5 minutes or so around every heart. These were the worst events IMO. Around the zones you actually found lots of events that branched based on how people performed, did they fail or win and next 'stage' of the quest was decided by that outcome. And outcomes had some very direct effects to the worlds like locations becoming unavailable to players or new areas opening. It felt epic, and these were the events that did not have 5 minute repeat timers, seemed more like 1 hour or something.

Anet commented on this a little bit. The DE's get more involved the higher up you go. Well it's not so much like a hill but rather a step if you are to view the progression curve. The beginning DE's are more simple because they found that having world/zone altering events in the beginning only frusterated people. You don't even understand how to play the game yet and here is a DE that threatens the entire zone's well being if you fail it. It was too much too soon I guess. You don't see the more permenent world alterations until just a little bit into the game. The first for the norn was in the frozenfell region. Multiple things there began to get pretty permanent. If you failed to stop the sons a whole keep would be overrun, taking away a way point to port to along with a convenient stop for rare merchandise and even  few DE's involving the keep become unavailable while it is occupied. A tower becomes destroyed if you fail while a farmer provides roadside protection for all travelers if you save his village. These last for a few hours.

The more basic ones involve smaller benefits and consequences to ease you into the flow. Helping people allows you to purcahse special rewards from them (with the DE points you earned), gives some npc's special items to sell (give a hunter in the village a bunch of meat to smoke it and you can then purchase the smoked meat for about a half hour to an hour, good stuff too) or pushes back an enemy type into their caves for a little while. Failing to stop the gnolls for example will allow them to fortify the mines. Failing to stop the sons invade the bear shrine will kill all NPC's inside until someone clears them out (didn't witness many DE fails though because balance is wonky right now due to its beta status and the sheer amount of players was insane).

Jesus though, later on stuff starts to make you sweat. When the shadow monster wakes up (forgot what zone that was) everybody knows its time for business. If you let that guy stomp around he will summon up minions and alter the whole zone in a matter of an hour or less into a black zone of rotting corpses, zero waypoints, and no other DE's besides stopping him. At that point he is very hard to stop too. After a certain point NPC's start spawning to wage war against him to make it easier on you if you are failing. More and more NPCs spawn until you get him. I hear though if there is no player intervention at all he branches out and effects other zones.

He doesn't spawn often and he stays dead for quite a while. If players leave him alone though and he is allowed to raise an army its bad news. The zone can become a huge war struggle between the city and him with the players caught in the middle. If he is allowed to take the zone there is a whole new chain of DE's that open up that must be completed to make him semi-mortal again (he reaches a certain power wear he achieves his goals of immortality if you leave him alone) to kill him. You then must cut off various zones of the zone to retake them and its just a mess.

That's not even one of the monthly resets. The endgame events work on a monthly timer and are supposed to be extremely impactful and designate the types of DE's that server will recieve in that area for the rest of the month. Defeat world crusher(?) and there is a different set of events dealing with his seperatists. Fail to defeat him and the rest of the month will be dedicated to driving him back and retaking lost towns.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by Nightshade55

Anet commented on this a little bit. The DE's get more involved the higher up you go. Well it's not so much like a hill but rather a step if you are to view the progression curve. The beginning DE's are more simple because they found that having world/zone altering events in the beginning only frusterated people. You don't even understand how to play the game yet and here is a DE that threatens the entire zone's well being if you fail it. It was too much too soon I guess. You don't see the more permenent world alterations until just a little bit into the game. The first for the norn was in the frozenfell region. Multiple things there began to get pretty permanent. If you failed to stop the sons a whole keep would be overrun, taking away a way point to port to along with a convenient stop for rare merchandise and even  few DE's involving the keep become unavailable while it is occupied. A tower becomes destroyed if you fail while a farmer provides roadside protection for all travelers if you save his village. These last for a few hours.

The more basic ones involve smaller benefits and consequences to ease you into the flow. Helping people allows you to purcahse special rewards from them (with the DE points you earned), gives some npc's special items to sell (give a hunter in the village a bunch of meat to smoke it and you can then purchase the smoked meat for about a half hour to an hour, good stuff too) or pushes back an enemy type into their caves for a little while. Failing to stop the gnolls for example will allow them to fortify the mines. Failing to stop the sons invade the bear shrine will kill all NPC's inside until someone clears them out (didn't witness many DE fails though because balance is wonky right now due to its beta status and the sheer amount of players was insane).

Jesus though, later on stuff starts to make you sweat. When the shadow monster wakes up (forgot what zone that was) everybody knows its time for business. If you let that guy stomp around he will summon up minions and alter the whole zone in a matter of an hour or less into a black zone of rotting corpses, zero waypoints, and no other DE's besides stopping him. At that point he is very hard to stop too. After a certain point NPC's start spawning to wage war against him to make it easier on you if you are failing. More and more NPCs spawn until you get him. I hear though if there is no player intervention at all he branches out and effects other zones.

He doesn't spawn often and he stays dead for quite a while. If players leave him alone though and he is allowed to raise an army its bad news. The zone can become a huge war struggle between the city and him with the players caught in the middle. If he is allowed to take the zone there is a whole new chain of DE's that open up that must be completed to make him semi-mortal again (he reaches a certain power wear he achieves his goals of immortality if you leave him alone) to kill him. You then must cut off various zones of the zone to retake them and its just a mess.

That's not even one of the monthly resets. The endgame events work on a monthly timer and are supposed to be extremely impactful and designate the types of DE's that server will recieve in that area for the rest of the month. Defeat world crusher(?) and there is a different set of events dealing with his seperatists. Fail to defeat him and the rest of the month will be dedicated to driving him back and retaking lost towns.

Wha...whe...how..hbl.. :O :O :O

Source please

I didnt know about events with this impact and long resets :O :O but one word for that I have

sssssssssssssssssssssswwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettt!!!!

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Originally posted by tixylix

I hate this "dynamic world" term because it's not dynamic, it's just scripted events like Warhammer Online's public quests.

And before Warhammer, it was well known that Tabula Rasa did this quite well in their game, unfortunately the game didn't do so well.

The only Dynamic world event that comes to my mind in games are these.

1. Tabula Rasa 

2. Warhammer Online

3. RIFT

Dynamic world events are nice and give a real active atmosphere, but this alone wouldn't keep me playing a certain mmorpg. It doe's get old after awhile.

Originally posted by Pigozz

Source please

I didnt know about events with this impact and long resets :O :O but one word for that I have

Were you in the beta? I can't source it right now the forum's are closed :(. It was a topic brought up during the beta when people asked about the status of DE's in later game (the game goes up to 80 (85?) I believe and the closest anyone got to that was like...40?). Impactuflness of DE's was brought up in a thread and Anet responded informing us that zone altering DE's were impossible in the beginning due to frusterating outcomes for people unaware of the games systems yet. The shadow monster one (his name and region are going to bug the hell out of me) was one I was a part of...and..sadly let happen.

I heard the zone wide announcement that he was comming I just didn't make anything of it. Until I was minding my own business and saw these shadow creatures come and rampage me, while the ground slowly turned black in the horizon. From then on It was my mission to stop him. In my experience we quelled him before he became immortal so the extra event to make him mortal wasn't there yet. After we finished him and all cheered at what we had done we were informed by others in the group who had been some of the first ones to the zone and saw when he had fully taken the zone over.

Anet then proceeded to explain the impactfulness of some of the later DE's. Which brought him to explaining that kind of scenario. Please note that the last scenario was nothing seen or proven but was given out as a speculative example of what we can expect later on.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

Dynamic world events are nice and give a real active atmosphere, but this alone wouldn't keep me playing a certain mmorpg. It doe's get old after awhile.

Older than running to ! and goind something and running back to ? for your reward? :) That is definition of old, these dynamic things that just happen around you regardless if you do them or not are what makes the world alive and interesting.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Older than running to ! and goind something and running back to ? for your reward? :) That is definition of old, these dynamic things that just happen around you regardless if you do them or not are what makes the world alive and interesting.

This I agree with. people say that dE's aren't dynamic and will get boring. Well you can go back to quests. They are sooo muich better afterall, right? /sarcasm. Even if all dE's were like the one's in starting zone gW2 still would have better pve leveling expierence than 95% of mmos out there.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by iller

I hate this "dynamic world" term because it's not dynamic, it's just scripted events like Warhammer Online's public quests.

It's not scripted, *****.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_data_type

(ugh, I hate when people try to argue semantics but don't even know basic computer syntaxes).

Scripted is:  1 happens, 2 happens a few minutes alter, and then 3 happens.  Scripted is what has always happend in every quest ever spawned since the first MMO's.   Dynamic conditions are what happens when cause and effect actually takes place over serveral large portions of the map in unexpected directions.

Example:  I was trying to get to this Skill Point challenge but nearby a Charr keep was being overrun even though there was like 30 people fighting in it.   They got stomped and all of a sudden a wave of Flame Legion assholes ran up with run buffs and ganked me and the guy next to me while we were still hunting for this damned entrance to the skill challenge.  When I came back later, the place was totally peaceful b/c a smaller group of BETTER PLAYERS eventually recaptured the entire area and I was able to finish my quest.

All I saw was the exact same events happen over and over in a scripted fashion, the same mobs, the same amount and the same objectives.... was never dynamic or any different. Infact it displayed stuff like defend for 10 waves or whatever every time......... That's scripted, not dynamic.

I wouldn't have a problem with them in the game but it's false advertising and saying it's something innovative and new when it isn't. It's been done before and it's always failed in thempark MMOs because they become top heavy.

You either didn't play the game and are making this up, like so many of the negative reviews have been proven to be so far (seriously, the guy talking about weapon swapping on his engineer... lol), or you stood in one heart area where things are supposed to keep cycling for additional running content between the actual DEs.

For the intellectually honest and curious, there are two types of events in GW2. The first, renown hearts, are areas marked on the map with an empty heart. This represents NPCs in need of help with various tasks. You can go there, perform a handful of actions to help move the progress bar along and fill the heart, resulting in the NPC usually becoming a karma vendor for you allowing you access to various and often uniquely obtainable things, such as certain weapons or as simple as fresh baked apple pies. These will always be happening in the same area, constantly cycling and take the place of the basic quests from more archaic MMOs. In addition to these are the actual Dynamic Events. DEs are things that happen occassionally, triggerd by a variety of means. Some may be on a timer, some actually require a person to stumble across them to trigger them, some are even triggered by the weather. They're less common than DEs and tend to have a more "lasting" effect on the world. For a simple example, bandits poisoning a water supply for the farms. If they're successful, you'll see the NPCs getting sick in the farms below. They won't have things available for you to purchase because the crops are affected. Things of this nature. If a giant takes over a town, everyone is dead in the town until you and a group defeat the giant. There are also chains of these leading to other events based on the pass/fail of the prior. Defeating the bandits poisoning the water can, if you pause a moment and listen to the npc chatter, lead you to an event to take out the bandit camp the attacks were being launched from. Some DEs chain all the way to raid style bosses (look up The Shatterer or Tequatl the Sunless on YouTube for example) and there are meta-events that affect an entire zone.

So, basically you an ignore Tixy. He's been bashing GW2 without rhyme or reason since whatever the game of his dreams is began to feel threatened by GW2 and few take him seriously anymore.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

The only Dynamic world event that comes to my mind in games are these.

1. Tabula Rasa 

2. Warhammer Online

3. RIFT

I won't comment on Tabula Rasa since I didn't have the patience to play it long enough (I actually disliked the setting), but neither Warhammer nor Rift have any kind of dynamic events like GW2 has.

Warhammer's PQ were not only static, but they didn't even scale to the number of participants, making them "dead" after the first rush of levelers was done with them.

Rift's "rifts" are just alternative mob spawn points, nothing more, and once again they don't scale properly to the number of participants, making them more a pain in the <bottom> than something fun. And once the rift is over, the world is exactly like it was before too. The supposed "dynamism" of Rift is and has always been marketing speech, there's nothing dynamic in that game.

GW2's events not only scale to the number of participants, which means that even when you level an alt 1 year after release and you happen to be alone, you will be able to complete them, but once you leave the first areas, they start to affect the world for longer durations. I've seen places taken over by mobs because of a failed event, I've seen teleport points "contested" by mobs, making them unavailable until they are conqueered back.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Source please

Were you in the beta? I can't source it right now the forum's are closed :(. It was a topic brought up during the beta when people asked about the status of DE's in later game (the game goes up to 80 (85?) I believe and the closest anyone got to that was like...40?). Impactuflness of DE's was brought up in a thread and Anet responded informing us that zone altering DE's were impossible in the beginning due to frusterating outcomes for people unaware of the games systems yet. The shadow monster one (his name and region are going to bug the hell out of me) was one I was a part of...and..sadly let happen.

I heard the zone wide announcement that he was comming I just didn't make anything of it. Until I was minding my own business and saw these shadow creatures come and rampage me, while the ground slowly turned black in the horizon. From then on It was my mission to stop him. In my experience we quelled him before he became immortal so the extra event to make him mortal wasn't there yet. After we finished him and all cheered at what we had done we were informed by others in the group who had been some of the first ones to the zone and saw when he had fully taken the zone over.

Anet then proceeded to explain the impactfulness of some of the later DE's. Which brought him to explaining that kind of scenario. Please note that the last scenario was nothing seen or proven but was given out as a speculative example of what we can expect later on.

30 was the level cap for the BWE so I was told, no official scource to clarify though.

80 will be the level cap on released game.

DE do get more intense at later levels, Anet didnt want to create intensive DE's at the start for fear of putting players off, there is a progressive learning curve with DE's.

I believe the shadow Behemoth is the correct name and is in the human starter zone within the swamps.

http://youtu.be/negeLd6w3KE

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

GW2 is not a dynamic world - it has dynamic events. I agree with others that shown that ANet got this from RIFT and Warhammer Online. Although I do enjoy DE after a while in the beta I realized that they are really no different from those in Rift - the DE start at the same place every time. The DE may spawn at different times but they make the world no more dynamic than any other mmo. Does the world change a bit? Yes. But create another toon and the same DE pops up.

I wish everyone who says that wandering around and finding quest givers rather than finding a question mark could have played EQ. They would have loved that game. You can wander around for hours finding npcs with quests and not have a fricking idea where to go and what to do. I notice that GW2 still has some question marks - they just use a star.

Yes I do enjoy GW2. I did a pre-purchase and I am glad that I did. But, as much as I like it, dynamic events are not the mmo world changer that some say.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by tordurbar

GW2 is not a dynamic world - it has dynamic events. I agree with others that shown that ANet got this from RIFT and Warhammer Online. Although I do enjoy DE after a while in the beta I realized that they are really no different from those in Rift - the DE start at the same place every time. The DE may spawn at different times but they make the world no more dynamic than any other mmo. Does the world change a bit? Yes. But create another toon and the same DE pops up.

I wish everyone who says that wandering around and finding quest givers rather than finding a question mark could have played EQ. They would have loved that game. You can wander around for hours finding npcs with quests and not have a fricking idea where to go and what to do. I notice that GW2 still has some question marks - they just use a star.

Yes I do enjoy GW2. I did a pre-purchase and I am glad that I did. But, as much as I like it, dynamic events are not the mmo world changer that some say.

Wait until you get to the zones where you're expected to ride without training wheels.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

I see many arguments that the Dynamic Events are scripted/have been done before. I'll tell you one thing for sure. I will never, ever see traditional questing the same way again. I tried to play Tera and after 1 hour of questing I'm done with it, I just can't deal with it, it breaks the game immersion terribly. Sure soloing BAM's and doing dungeons might be a little fun for a while but how long can the combat keep you hooked?

I played the GW2 Beta and finished Queensdale to completion, many people are confusing heart quests with DE's, there was nothing more rewarding for me than exploring a zone and finding an event that led to an awesome boss fight that if I hadn't gone there, I would've missed it.

There's just no way someone can argue that this is not better than traditional questing, it's a fail attempt at downgrading the game.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Fully expect to have to quit the game after 30 levels or so. It will be too difficult. Good game for those who make it to max level but for the noob like me - on to another mmo. [I know - good riddance. Ditto.]
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by iller

It's not scripted, *****.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_data_type

(ugh, I hate when people try to argue semantics but don't even know basic computer syntaxes).

Scripted is:  1 happens, 2 happens a few minutes alter, and then 3 happens.  Scripted is what has always happend in every quest ever spawned since the first MMO's.   Dynamic conditions are what happens when cause and effect actually takes place over serveral large portions of the map in unexpected directions.

Example:  I was trying to get to this Skill Point challenge but nearby a Charr keep was being overrun even though there was like 30 people fighting in it.   They got stomped and all of a sudden a wave of Flame Legion assholes ran up with run buffs and ganked me and the guy next to me while we were still hunting for this damned entrance to the skill challenge.  When I came back later, the place was totally peaceful b/c a smaller group of BETTER PLAYERS eventually recaptured the entire area and I was able to finish my quest.

All I saw was the exact same events happen over and over in a scripted fashion, the same mobs, the same amount and the same objectives.... was never dynamic or any different. Infact it displayed stuff like defend for 10 waves or whatever every time......... That's scripted, not dynamic.

I wouldn't have a problem with them in the game but it's false advertising and saying it's something innovative and new when it isn't. It's been done before and it's always failed in thempark MMOs because they become top heavy.

I doubt you saw anything with your eyes closed, chief.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by tordurbar

Fully expect to have to quit the game after 30 levels or so. It will be too difficult. Good game for those who make it to max level but for the noob like me - on to another mmo. [I know - good riddance. Ditto.]

Well put.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Agree with Op, about finding it hard to play other MMO's where there is no dynamic content - they feel lifeless.

But for me if was RIFT that was the cause, its nice to walk around a bend and have the chance of a different set of mobs coming towards you - not the same boring NPC that is always stood in those 5 metres. Untill I reformatted, I actually started a collection of pictures of the same area - looking in the same direction, showing different things at different times - was actually up to about 12ish iirc.

And by Dynamic I mean a event that is triggered by interaction with the game world (population of players in a area ect - and the event that happens can have several outcomes based on what interaction players have - it still goes ahead if people participate or not)

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm pretty tired of people thinking that GW2s entire concept to fame was Dynamic Events and then complaining about them. It is part of the game yes, but it isn't the entire game. Also, if you played the BWE you more than likeley only played DEs that were designed for the starter areas. From what I have read they are more involved the more you progress in you andventuring. Yes! Adventuring. Unlike most new MMORPGs released you are not expected or being funnled down a linear path. Explore the game and have fun.  And to answer the OP, I was spoiled by the Dynamic World and it's entirety.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Source please

30 was the level cap for the BWE so I was told, no official scource to clarify though.

80 will be the level cap on released game.

DE do get more intense at later levels, Anet didnt want to create intensive DE's at the start for fear of putting players off, there is a progressive learning curve with DE's.

I believe the shadow Behemoth is the correct name and is in the human starter zone within the swamps.

http://youtu.be/negeLd6w3KE

Thank you! that was going to bug the hell out of me. Anywhome yeah. People who say DE's aren't dynamic didn't get high enough. I'm not sure, was the cap only 30 for the beta? I swear I knew some people who were 32, 33, etc. Never saw any 40s so I assumed that's where it stopped.

I think everyone forgets that we have been to the first two zones in the game. there is still 30-80 to go through that get gradually more intense.

The first zone warms you up with little buffs and little punishments if you fail DE's or succeed. The second zone gets a little more permanent with things lasting a few hours.

By the third zone though entire geographies and areas start changing with certain events.

People are making sweeping judgements about the DE's they see in the starting zone. The starting zone DE's are actually pretty dynamic  but they become much, much larger as you get in the swing of things.

Just at level 20 I was experiencing DE's that changed entire landscapes and blocked access to some areas or granted access.

I'm a little tired of people claiming "DE's aren't dynamic! I was level 2 and saved a bear shrine just for it to be attacked again a few minutes later!" Its not like the DE's don't make sense. Of course the sons are going to keep trying to raid the bear shrine. Of course the gnolls are going to keep pushing out of their caves. Then again, your level 2. Come talk to me when  you've dinged 25 and we will sit down and share stories about the sweeping DE's we've taken part in.

Our server's landscape was entirely different than other servers. There is a zone where it matters what order the players are completing the DE's in. The whole zone is a storyline. They are doing some really, really, neat things with them and its a shame people think the whole game is at level 2. Even level 2 though I wouldn't mind. I mean, seriously. Within minutes of character creation I was fighting epic battles, saving villages from rampaging bears with 25+ people, Breaking down gnoll fortifications and hunting false gods with upwards of 40 people.

They can't, and shouldn't, create DE's that have dire consequences in the starting zone. According to the dev they tested a few of them before on some of the starting zones in the closed beta and they just frusterated people. There you are trying to defend this zone from being a pile of ash and rubble from the awakened dragon over there and then noob1 and noob2 join in, thinking they are helping. Now the event is scaled up for 3 people closely cooperating. Unfortunately noob1 and noob2 don't know what the hell they are doing or even have a grasp of their skills yet. So they just run around attacking all of the infinitely spawning adds. HeroGuy shouts for them to attack the big monster but, unfortunately, the lack of a /saw function means he's talking to the whole zone and noob1 and noob2 just continue doing what they are doing and get everyone killed.

They then go onto the forums and complain that its too hard while HeroGuy smashes his keyboard with his face. See where we are going with this? (A /say function is coming btw, WOO HOO!)

For this reason the starting DE's have to start you off with basic benefits and consequences until you know how things work. By level 24 our server was a tightly knit family. I'd walk into the zone and ask what's the status and get instant feedback on everything going on in the zone and where I should be lending a hand. We'd work as a server to bring down mobs and it was basically working in a 100+ man raid with everybody doing exactly what they need to. Granted, generally if you follow the hearts you will be contributing in some way as long as you are completing events.

Still though it was something of beauty when we were getting rampaged on a particular DE involving holding a town from oncomming fiend armies. We were getting smashed, defenses were down, arrow turrets were down, 3/4 of us were dead and trying to revive people. Our guardians and mesmers did what they could to shield us and disorient the hordes. It wasn't enough though. A group of the fiends smashed a building and as it crumbled we lost our last bit of cover. Spells and arrows rained down on us. The mesmers made as many clones as they could and portals to get the wounded to the back of the line to use their recoveries. Our last mesmer fell along with the best guardian I've ever met (NeverEyes you are AWESOME if you are ever around these boards for some reason). So there was me, the theif,, a handful of warriors, elementalists, rangers, and mesmers. Less than 10 of us now all together. We couldn't go revive the fallen because the hordes were advancing too fast. Some had revived and were on their way back but we failed to keep the middle waypoint town between where we were and the capital. So everyone had to respawn at the capital. Then we were told in /local that those who had been trying to run back were staying behind to help recapture the waypoint village.

So we pretty much knew we were all going to die. Then. Out of left field a whole cavalry of warriors, mesmers, thieves, and nocromancers came in from behind the enemy hoard hooting and hollaring. The necromancers held them all in place through a series of AoE spells that caused undead hands to reach up through crumbling earth and grab the fiends feet.

After the rest of this were stunned by what had just happened we were woken up by a /local "Revive them!". We rushed into the middle of the fray under guardian shields while the warriors blew their hornes to weaken the enemy. We revived almost everyone (those who didn't respawn and help the midpoint town) and captured the area. We then wen't back in a bolstered horde to help the middle waypoint folks. We swooped in with avengance. The small band holding the village were no match. We wen't on to do great things for the zone. When I left all waypoints were active and there was a vigilant party watching the movements of the zone boss. Even after saying farewells and moving on to other areas of the world I still came back at least 3 times to check on it.

This adventure/story brought to you by GW2

• Originally posted by jondifool

even if you are right from a technical point of view. (and that can be discussed , because there is more to DE than there was to WARs PQ) the real point is that GW2 DE's feels immersive wich WARs PQs never managed.

Get over it . It just so much better

He's not right from a technical standpoint.  He is completely wrong.  GW2's evetns are dynamic as the word is used in computer science and in addition are not even always the same script.

At any one point in time you cannot predict what events are going or will be going on in the next 10 minutes.  Nor can you even predict where events are.

This is the VERY DEFINTION of the term "dynamic".  This is stuff is determined and constantly being generated DURING RUNTIME. 

In Warhammer PQ were always in the same place and always either happening or about to restart.    It was completely predictable.  The only unpredicatble thing was what stage a particular PQ was on.

The Location and Existence of the PQs was STATICALLY created BEFORE RUNTIME.

This is simply an incorrect comment from someone who is either bitter or ignorant.  Or both.

This is not a matter of opinion or even arguable.  This guy is just completely wrong.

• Originally posted by Nightshade55

(give a hunter in the village a bunch of meat to smoke it and you can then purchase the smoked meat for about a half hour to an hour, good stuff too)    

Sheesh I need to slow down next BWE - I completely missed this.  I particularly wanted to look for 'collectors' like GW1 had (this sounds similar) and then like a kid in a candy store got distracted.  Thanx for reminding me I'll be sure to pay more attendtion next time.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I feel your pain, OP

Star Wars Galaxies spoiled me.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.