Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

It's being called "The GW2 Effect".

1234579

Comments

  • LeodiousLeodious Abingdon, VAPosts: 773Member

    That's why I'm here hitting F5 to read things other people are saying about GW2 on here because it's more fun than playing other games most of the time.

    More than ten minutes into something and whatever lackluster qualities the game has has me bored and listless.

    "There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

    — John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

  • FadedbombFadedbomb Aiken, SCPosts: 2,081Member

    Originally posted by Amjoco

    Originally posted by Eletheryl

    Originally posted by Volkon

    Originally posted by Eletheryl

    Originally posted by Volkon

        I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

     

    So... how you doin'?

    For people like me who have played games like warhammer, rift, Daoc. There was nothing new or innovative in gw2, I did that before, 3 years on warhammer and a few months in rift. Even the dodge system is old, i remember a more complex system on AoC, and some people didnt remember but STO have a dodge system too. If u have played just games like WoW or eve, then yes, i guess gw2 is something new for you. But for really a lot of people is just more of same, even the maps in some way is like warhammer, i mean in war u have marked in the map all the PQs, but to find them you need to explore the map 1st, gw2 have the same system, but from what u saw to explore the map u have to find a scout (is on the map also) and then u have hearts all over the map to show you where are the DE, exaclty like war. Im not trolling btw, is what i saw after playing the beta, i mean for some people gw2 is something new, but for others, is just more of the same, Is all about what is your experience playing MMOs.

    If you feel like you need to state that you're not trolling, odds are that you are. Just saying.

    No, bc from some people point of view, if you dont think that gw2 is the best game ever you are trolling. thats why i need to say ¨im not trolling¨ but is just pointless i guess. 

    So you have to ask yourself then, "why did I post here"?  It's that simple. What was the benefit or what were you looking to get out of that post I highlited? 

    Don't attack his highlighted post because he's stating a counter-opinion to that of the OP. The OP's post wreaks of over-the-top fanboism & hype pasted on the sides.

    I don't mean to be rude, but threads like this make the fans look REALLY bad. I cringe everytime I see "GW2 is the next WoWkiller!" type threads, or "GW2, most innovative game ever!" etc etc.

    The same threads LIKE THIS ONE were spammed all over the SWTOR section in beta & in the first month of release. Please, we really don't need more threads like this :|!

    The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

  • Netgamer7kNetgamer7k Bakersfield, CAPosts: 62Member

    I have some weighty critique for GW2, especially concerning the so-called 'open world', when it's really a bunch of square zones you've got to load into. I don't like that. It doesn't feel like an open world.

    Another problem I had was the lack of immersiveness in PvE or just wandering about, it felt like I was playing a game rather than feeling like I'm in a fantasy world. However, WvW was immersive. Five hours of pvping felt like an hour. That was really enjoyable.

    Other problems I found were the camera control was very limited, you can't even zoom into first person. No toggle for walk or no-smart camera. The list goes on and on.

     

    But obviously the good things about the game outweigh the bad. And I do have to admit this seems to be a well put together MMO. We'll have to find out in the long run.

    image

  • UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Middletown, OHPosts: 518Member

    Originally posted by Netgamer7k

    I have some weighty critique for GW2, especially concerning the so-called 'open world', when it's really a bunch of square zones you've got to load into. I don't like that. It doesn't feel like an open world.

    Another problem I had was the lack of immersiveness in PvE or just wandering about, it felt like I was playing a game rather than feeling like I'm in a fantasy world.

    The camera control was very limited, you can't even zoom into first person. No toggle for walk or no-smart camera. The list goes on and on.

     

    But obviously the good things about the game outweight the bad. And I do have to admit this is the most innovative MMO I've got to play since EQ2 was brand new.

    I believe given some time they will fix or implement these things, its still early in the beta, but as far as the PVE i have to disagree I felt inclined to click mountains and hills look in every cave and crevice, its like when vanilla wow first came out all over again I want to explore everything, and being someone who role plays while playing the game this world is gonna make some amazing RP sessions

     

     

    and I too am suffering fromt he guild war effect

    There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

  • nikoliathnikoliath YPosts: 1,154Member

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by heartless

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by lonewolf1980

    My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

     

    ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.

    Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image

    If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it. I'm not going to try to explain why you're wrong, it will be a wasted effort but needless to say, you are.

    I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

    guess you didn't enjoy lego either, after all, they were just bits of plastic ~ no matter what you made with them image

  • reap3rzxreap3rzx Grand Forks, NDPosts: 41Member

    For me, the "GW2 Effect" = the "DAoC Effect."

     

    Dark Age of Camelot was my first MMO back in 2002. Partly because it was my first MMO, but mostly because it was an awesome MMO, I always got this "feeling" when playing it. Like I could really lose myself in it. RvR is the greatest thing ever put into a MMO. Huge zones which you're required to explore vs being lead by a leash (hardly any questing in DAoC), finding the next sweet camp of yellow mobs to kill, etc. I loved it back then.

     

    GW2 has the RvR. GW2 has the non leash-lead exploration, albiet WAY better with DEs, GW2 gives me that "feeling" that DAoC did, that feeling that NO other MMO has been able to do since.

     

    I've pretty much played them ALL folks, you name it, I've probably played it. GW2 is LEGIT. 

     

    There is no more 'hype' for GW2. It's been played, it's been tested, and proven. Now that I've played it for around 30 hours over this weekend, I really don't know what to play. I've decided to play games completely removed from the MMO genre until GW2 comes out. I beat Mega Man X5 today, and most of the way through Mega Man X6. I still have an active subscription to DAoC, I MAY try to play that again. But I've got the itch, fiending for some smack, need my GW2 fix!!

  • AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member
    Well, GW2 is not that amazing sandbox so many of us on these forums are hoping for...  Nor is the details perfect (but it is a beta afterall)...  But compared to other MMORPGs at a similar time in beta, it is superior, and I am suffering from the GW2 effect.  The combat, the WvW, the fluidity of the quests.

    Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by nikoliath

    guess you didn't enjoy lego either, after all, they were just bits of plastic ~ no matter what you made with them image

    His argument isn't far off from saying all games are programmed, and therefor are all identical. Rationalizing at it's finest, lol.

  • XasapisXasapis VolosPosts: 5,561Member Uncommon
    You played the game for two days and "it's been tested and proven?" Seriously, any mmorpg 101 will tell you to wait before posting an informed opinion at least before the first month of gameplay is over, or even better, the first three. Right now everything is obviously shiny and new and the excitement over the new game will overshadow any problems or long term issues.
  • fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member

    Originally posted by Netgamer7k

    I have some weighty critique for GW2, especially concerning the so-called 'open world', when it's really a bunch of square zones you've got to load into. I don't like that. It doesn't feel like an open world.

    Another problem I had was the lack of immersiveness in PvE or just wandering about, it felt like I was playing a game rather than feeling like I'm in a fantasy world. However, WvW was immersive. Five hours of pvping felt like an hour. That was really enjoyable.

    Other problems I found were the camera control was very limited, you can't even zoom into first person. No toggle for walk or no-smart camera. The list goes on and on.

     

    But obviously the good things about the game outweigh the bad. And I do have to admit this seems to be a well put together MMO. We'll have to find out in the long run.

    This shows how subjective these things can be. For me, the PVE world is by far the most immersive I have found in an MMORPG. The zones feel like real places, rather than just generic terrain with no infrastructure for the people who live there. It's night and day vs. most other mmos. It actually feels more like a fantasy world, rather than a game with fantasy decor.

    Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated
    image

  • dontadowdontadow Detroit, MIPosts: 1,044Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by fiontar

    Originally posted by Netgamer7k

    I have some weighty critique for GW2, especially concerning the so-called 'open world', when it's really a bunch of square zones you've got to load into. I don't like that. It doesn't feel like an open world.

    Another problem I had was the lack of immersiveness in PvE or just wandering about, it felt like I was playing a game rather than feeling like I'm in a fantasy world. However, WvW was immersive. Five hours of pvping felt like an hour. That was really enjoyable.

    Other problems I found were the camera control was very limited, you can't even zoom into first person. No toggle for walk or no-smart camera. The list goes on and on.

     

    But obviously the good things about the game outweigh the bad. And I do have to admit this seems to be a well put together MMO. We'll have to find out in the long run.

    This shows how subjective these things can be. For me, the PVE world is by far the most immersive I have found in an MMORPG. The zones feel like real places, rather than just generic terrain with no infrastructure for the people who live there. It's night and day vs. most other mmos. It actually feels more like a fantasy world, rather than a game with fantasy decor.

    I"ll piggy back off this. The city's are just huge, I could really imagine thousands of people living in them. There as so much life, it didnt feel like u walked into a quest hub with five key npcs. 

  • AdalwulffAdalwulff Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,152Member

    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

    Originally posted by Amjoco

    Originally posted by Eletheryl

    Originally posted by Volkon

    Originally posted by Eletheryl

    Originally posted by Volkon

        I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

     

    So... how you doin'?

    For people like me who have played games like warhammer, rift, Daoc. There was nothing new or innovative in gw2, I did that before, 3 years on warhammer and a few months in rift. Even the dodge system is old, i remember a more complex system on AoC, and some people didnt remember but STO have a dodge system too. If u have played just games like WoW or eve, then yes, i guess gw2 is something new for you. But for really a lot of people is just more of same, even the maps in some way is like warhammer, i mean in war u have marked in the map all the PQs, but to find them you need to explore the map 1st, gw2 have the same system, but from what u saw to explore the map u have to find a scout (is on the map also) and then u have hearts all over the map to show you where are the DE, exaclty like war. Im not trolling btw, is what i saw after playing the beta, i mean for some people gw2 is something new, but for others, is just more of the same, Is all about what is your experience playing MMOs.

    If you feel like you need to state that you're not trolling, odds are that you are. Just saying.

    No, bc from some people point of view, if you dont think that gw2 is the best game ever you are trolling. thats why i need to say ¨im not trolling¨ but is just pointless i guess. 

    So you have to ask yourself then, "why did I post here"?  It's that simple. What was the benefit or what were you looking to get out of that post I highlited? 

    Don't attack his highlighted post because he's stating a counter-opinion to that of the OP. The OP's post wreaks of over-the-top fanboism & hype pasted on the sides.

    I don't mean to be rude, but threads like this make the fans look REALLY bad. I cringe everytime I see "GW2 is the next WoWkiller!" type threads, or "GW2, most innovative game ever!" etc etc.

    The same threads LIKE THIS ONE were spammed all over the SWTOR section in beta & in the first month of release. Please, we really don't need more threads like this :|!

     

    I just wanted to say how AWSOME GW2 is!!!

    I pre-purchased it too, can you believe that!!

    Since TOR, TERA, D3 and TSW are complete bombs, I imagine you will be giving up on MMOs. right?

    image
  • illeriller Aspen''s 4th hole, COPosts: 510Member

    Originally posted by Vepgenus

    Originally posted by RKameL

    The thread name is about the GW2 Effect. How come those that havent play the game also have opinion about it...

    So people aren't allowed their own opinion?

     

     If they don't know what they're talking about, why are they talking? 

    And why shouldn't they be called out on it??

     


    Originally posted by Thralia

    the GW2 effect for me was that i didnt want to play it ever anymore after 4h gametime. cancelled preorder n removed it from hdd.

     

    Okay this is like the 4th time I've heard this.  HOW THE FUCK were people playing this after only Pre-Ordering?  ....on the Beta forums I saw complaint after complaint from people who only pre-ordered (or pre-purchased from an unoffical source) saying they couldn't play.

     

    IOW:  I think someone is lying.

  • rykim86rykim86 winnipeg, MBPosts: 236Member

    I' ve had the syndrom since playing the early build at PAX Prime 2010 =/

     

    The trick is people to just keep yourself busy and focused.  Whatever you're doing...work, chores, studies...it goes by much faster when you're focused on something else.

  • reap3rzxreap3rzx Grand Forks, NDPosts: 41Member
    @Xasapis

    Like I said, Ive played a lot of MMOs. Ive had plenty of time to see the promises that GW2 made in action. The main draws of the game are in, working, tested and proven. Its not a gimmick. Im usually first in line to complain when a MMO doesnt live up to the promises it creates. This one does.

    May things change, may they royally f**k up by releasing an expansion like Trials of Atlantis that kills the game in the future? Maybe. But right now they have the systems in place that drew me to the game in the first place, and ive seen them work and love it. So yes, its proven to me. It didnt take me a month to find out rift, swtor, and tera are all WoW with a gimmick attached to it, just like it didnt take me a month to see that GW2 wasnt a gimmick.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,782Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by reap3rzx

    @Xasapis



    Like I said, Ive played a lot of MMOs. Ive had plenty of time to see the promises that GW2 made in action. The main draws of the game are in, working, tested and proven. Its not a gimmick. Im usually first in line to complain when a MMO doesnt live up to the promises it creates. This one does.



    May things change, may they royally f**k up by releasing an expansion like Trials of Atlantis that kills the game in the future? Maybe. But right now they have the systems in place that drew me to the game in the first place, and ive seen them work and love it. So yes, its proven to me. It didnt take me a month to find out rift, swtor, and tera are all WoW with a gimmick attached to it, just like it didnt take me a month to see that GW2 wasnt a gimmick.

    Awesome. And this is how you feel!   Now be prepared for the haters to use the spock mind meld to alter your thoughts!

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • illeriller Aspen''s 4th hole, COPosts: 510Member

    Originally posted by Amjoco

    Awesome. And this is how you feel!   Now be prepared for the haters to use the spock mind meld to alter your thoughts!

     

    I could actually do that for them just by pointing to specific Gw1 Updates that totally missed the mark. There was quite a few of them.  So with that in mind, I think people need to EXPECT some bigger problems along the way.  Especially in Powercreep which is a sensitive issue mainly b/c it's just FELT a lot more in-game when it happens in the Guild Wars environment.  All mobs use the same skills players use so whatever buffs some player classes also buffs mob difficulty.  Then there was also the PvP issues when Nightfall came out and it probably took them 2 solid years of monthly skill updates to get that mess under control.  I could go on but I don't want to sound too pessimistic

     

    They've got great developers who will always listen (except Izzy), and they always try to fix mistakes too, and of course their game itself is always atleast beautiful on the outside.  They just sometimes put the cart before the horse and it has lead to a LOT of PvP'ers getting really pissed at them b/c those PvP'ers were all one-trick ponies and couldn't enjoy any other aspects of the game.  And word of mouth from those types of folks travels fastest and reverberates a shit ton because they are the most vocal of vocal minorities.  Gw2 haters will seize hold of it and use their megaphones as well.  Trying to stay neutral during those drama periods can be very difficult.

  • MonorojoMonorojo San Diego, CAPosts: 411Member

    Originally posted by Xasapis

    You played the game for two days and "it's been tested and proven?" Seriously, any mmorpg 101 will tell you to wait before posting an informed opinion at least before the first month of gameplay is over, or even better, the first three. Right now everything is obviously shiny and new and the excitement over the new game will overshadow any problems or long term issues.

    So obvious yet people are ignoring this post.

  • SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Porto FerreiraPosts: 405Member Uncommon

    Ive played on the GW2 beta and i have watched enough videos ( gameplay pve, pvp, WvWvW ) to say for sure that i really like this game and what develops are doing.

    Yes i think i have the GW2 effect

    image

  • BreakNFacesBreakNFaces BrisbanePosts: 77Member

    Originally posted by Volkon

        I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

     

    So... how you doin'?

    Yes it struck me also, but wasnt a slap or a punch in the face it was small and minor at first almost like a tickle and it wouldnt go away, I have been hurt before, my last one she turned out to be a slag and in the end I had to drop her for I felt she was a money hungry gold digger and she just didnt perform to to the lust I had in my minds eye. Even before SWTOR I had been let down by so so many other lovers Aion/Conan/Star Trek just to name a few. are you the one GW2? Will you provide for all my needs? only time will tell and until then I wait patiently till the next time we spend time together and I can mash some faces playing WvWvW

     

    Until then faithfully yours

     

    ArcadianBorn, Elementalist

     

     

    image

  • AdalwulffAdalwulff Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,152Member

    This is amazing, I havent been this giddy about an MMO since DAOC.

    Since the BWE, I havent been able to log into Aion, EVE or any of my casual shooters. I still think the game needs some minor tweaking, and I question the longevity of the PvE, but I cant think of any other game I would rather being playing right now.

    image
  • illeriller Aspen''s 4th hole, COPosts: 510Member

    Originally posted by ArcadianBorn

    are you the one GW2? Will you provide for all my needs?

     

    I hardly think it's reasonable to ask that of ANY m.m.o.   ...or any game for that matter.

  • TbkrulezTbkrulez BudapestPosts: 42Member

    Originally posted by mcburly

    Mine is more of a dissapointment in how much I didnt enjoy myself in GW2 over the weekend. Just like every mmo, it has been overhyped and its another run of the mill mmo. Pass

    go away SWTOR troll, i bet you didn't even played the beta.

    just check his other comments in his profile.

  • NavekNavek glasgowPosts: 71Member Uncommon
    Cancelled my SWTOR acc, gone back to Skyrim as a placeholder while waiting for GW2, its not going to be all singing and dancing but its the best game out there for me that I've found so the sooner it gets released the better.
  • RaekonRaekon AugsburgPosts: 553Member

    Currently checking in Lost Saga for a few battles before I logout again since I have friends there and the game is fun and casual enough.

    Also checking in Wakfu in with my friends there for a hour or so per day but I'm sure that after my subscription deal has run out (I extra subbed for a few months only pointing at june cause I knew GW2 would or might come out by then :p ).

    Have tons of PS3 stuff but I'm mainly getting multiplayer games which I can play with my best friend when he comes over for a "games and movies evening" once in a while. :)

    Also many different mmos on my harddisk and other games since I was a alpha/beta tester for many mmos and offline games already.

    Have recently deleted a big amount to make more room and will definately delete many more before GW2 releases. ^_^

    Currently waiting patiently for the next beta event while we are talking with my collegue at work about all the great things we experienced in the last one and what we are planning to do in the next one. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.