Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple of questions for Beta Players

DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Been on the lookout for a new PVP game and everything I am seeing looks interesting in regards to the PVP in GW2. Couple of questions:

1. Is there a PVP specific progression for PVP armor, weapons etc. or are PVE and PVP gear one and the same?

2. Can you progress your character (1-80?) entirely from PVP or does character progression require PVE?"

3. Is this a gae where you can play entirely as PVP or will you really need to PVE in order to get the armor/weapons etc. in order to compete/excel?

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

1) From waht I understant there is no serperate gear for pvp. So ya pvp and pve gear are one and the same. I prefer this myself.

2) Youe you can make the lvl cap souly on pvp.

3) I am sure your top end gear can be obtained from pvp or pve but they are both comparable neither will give an undue advantage.

The game is geared more toward character development and player skill, knowledge of that character more than uber sets of gear.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by Palladin

1) From waht I understant there is no serperate gear for pvp. So ya pvp and pve gear are one and the same. I prefer this myself.

3) I am sure your top end gear can be obtained from pvp or pve but they are both comparable neither will give an undue advantage.

The game is geared more toward character development and player skill, knowledge of that character more than uber sets of gear.

These are all very big perks. Im almost afraid to play now as I dont reall want to "quit" my current game but the full progression via PVP and 1 gear set for all features are pretty enticing.

1. They say when they are planning to release yet?

2.Does preorder open you up for ALL Beta Weekends or just a head start immeditaly prior to release?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

1. There is gear which you can purchase with glory, which is currency you get through PvP. Apparently there are 5 ranks of PvP armor but all if it is cosmetic. There are no PvP only stats like WoW's resilience, so PvE armor works just as well in PvP as the PvP armor.

2. Once you leave the tutorial at level 2, you can port directly into the Mists where you can participate in Realm vs Realm vs Realm mass PvP. Your character gets boosted to max level while you're there but you still earn experience, get loot and level up. If you want to PvP in battlegrounds, your character gets boosted to max level, you get standardized weapons and armor and you don't gain experience, as far as I know.

3. You can spend all of your time PvPing in the Mists. The battles last 2 weeks. You don't ever have to PvE after you complete the tutorial. The tutorial lasts like 5 minutes.

• hpistihpisti Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Dissolution

These are all very big perks. Im almost afraid to play now as I dont reall want to "quit" my current game but the full progression via PVP and 1 gear set for all features are pretty enticing.

2.Does preorder open you up for ALL Beta Weekends or just a head start immeditaly prior to release?

1. No release date yet.

2. Pre-purchase lets you participate in all betas up to release and offers the 3-day headstart.

(People keep mentioning pre-orders in other topics, but I have not seen pre-order anywhere. Is there pre-order for GW2?)

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50

1. There is a comsmetic only progression for PvP armor on oPVP(Organized PvP), the armor stats you start with will be the armor stats in the last PvP glory rank. In WvW, you use your PvE gear, but can get drops/rewards that have the same stats as in the PvE world.

2. You get instantly scaled up to lvl 80 in organized PvP, having all your skill slots (3 utility/1 Elite as well as all weapon skills) unlocked. As in WvW you are instantly scaled up to lvl 80, but still earn XP towards your PvE lvl, your skills will be correspondent to your actual PvE lvl and you will be able to unlock the weapon skills just like in PvE.

3. You can play the game entirely in PvP for what I know (for sure on organized PvP, not sure about WvW, but guessing you would still earn enough money to be able to purchase armor/weps from a crafter)

EDIT: 2 slow, aparently Heartless beat me to it and seems like our posts compliment each other in some areas.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

you don't have to quit your current game.

with no sub theres no maintenance on the account. play it or don't play it, either way its there for you when you like.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

1) This is partly false. In structured PvP (arenas, 5vs5) everyone has all skills unlocked and equal gear which is PvP only gear. In WvWvW (the big, openworld pvp, castle sieging and stuff - area) you play with your PvE gear and skills, but you are scaled up to level 80.

2) You earn some experience in WvWvW atleast, structured PvP I am not sure of.

3) PvP and PvE gear are seperate like I said earlier, in WvWvW you use your PvE gear but it still doesn't give anyone too huge of an advantage over others.

EDIT: People do reply really fast here :)

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by vee41

1) This is partly false. In structured PvP (arenas, 5vs5) everyone has all skills unlocked and equal gear which is PvP only gear. In WvWvW (the big, openworld pvp, castle sieging and stuff - area) you play with your PvE gear and skills, but you are scaled up to level 80.

3) PvP and PvE gear are seperate like I said earlier, in WvWvW you use your PvE gear but it still doesn't give anyone too huge of an advantage over others.

1. I'm not sure if that's all true. My gear looked different when I jumped into the mists but I was so elated I didn't really take much time to ask myself if I was even using the same gear. My stuff looked different though and I had different abilities so Idk what the actual system in place is for WvWvW. Then again I was bumped up about 65 levels so to be competative that may have just been a side effect, idk.

2. You earn experience in WvWvW, and yes you can purely PvP from the ground to max if you want. PvP does give you some good experience especially if your sieging and capturing castles. Gathering resources and doing the DE's in the mists also gives you good exp. Structured PvP is all outside the universe to my knowledge. In other words there is no connection to your actual character beyond appearance that happens when you participate in structured PvP. Everything is purely equal footing. No extras or anything of the sort are available in structured PvP to give anyone a leg up. This is so because structured PvP in GW2 is gearing up to be an E-Sport. Anet has already started tournament pots for good cash (I think it was 200k?) for the annual winners. In order to keep it interesting everything has to be balanced and it has to be completely seperated from any outside progression.

3. The two gears are seperate yes. Again I'm not sure that you use your PvE gear in WvWvW. As I said my gear appeared different when I jumped into the mysts. Definately far more cool looking but it didn't look like my typical low level gear at all.

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

with no sub theres no maintenance on the account. play it or don't play it, either way its there for you when you like.

I get pretty bad with games when I enjoy their PVP.  If the PVP eends up being that good for me  would have a hard time logging in t anything  else..

There is a pre-purchase and that is what confused me, thank you for clarifying. Amazon offers a prepurchase while the GW2 site offers the pre-order. This is why I have seen different features offered as both were reputable sites but offering different features.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

Originally posted by Nightshade55

Originally posted by vee41

1. I'm not sure if that's all true. My gear looked different when I jumped into the mists but I was so elated I didn't really take much time to ask myself if I was even using the same gear. My stuff looked different though and I had different abilities so Idk what the actual system in place is for WvWvW. Then again I was bumped up about 65 levels so to be competative that may have just been a side effect, idk.

2. You earn experience in WvWvW, and yes you can purely PvP from the ground to max if you want. PvP does give you some good experience especially if your sieging and capturing castles. Gathering resources and doing the DE's in the mists also gives you good exp. Structured PvP is all outside the universe to my knowledge. In other words there is no connection to your actual character beyond appearance that happens when you participate in structured PvP. Everything is purely equal footing. No extras or anything of the sort are available in structured PvP to give anyone a leg up. This is so because structured PvP in GW2 is gearing up to be an E-Sport. Anet has already started tournament pots for good cash (I think it was 200k?) for the annual winners. In order to keep it interesting everything has to be balanced and it has to be completely seperated from any outside progression.

3. The two gears are seperate yes. Again I'm not sure that you use your PvE gear in WvWvW. As I said my gear appeared different when I jumped into the mysts. Definately far more cool looking but it didn't look like my typical low level gear at all.

1) It is :) Your gear in the mists is not the WvWvW gear. When you enter the mists everything is unlocked for you so you can test different builds and stuff.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

1. Is there a PVP specific progression for PVP armor, weapons etc. or are PVE and PVP gear one and the same?

2. Can you progress your character (1-80?) entirely from PVP or does character progression require PVE?"

3. Is this a gae where you can play entirely as PVP or will you really need to PVE in order to get the armor/weapons etc. in order to compete/excel?

Thanks in advance.

1 yes there is pvp armor but there are no stats for PVP , u can buy gear with pvp "points"

2- Yes, in WvWvW u can do events (xp ) ect , and do pvp with enemys (cant remember if killing enemys give u xp but im 99% sure it gives) so u can play  to your heart contents and leveling as any other zone ,mists is just HUGE

"battlegrounds" give no xp , are just for fun

3- No , need to pve at all , if u want complete the tutorial ,a and go to the mists u will lvl 80 (1) , but u will leveling and opening new skills , traits ect

the problem lies in weapons for example my ranger starts with axe and finishing tuto gives an offhand, if u want to train longbow/shortbow , u gotta buy it , or wait for a drop :P , doing Race missions will give u gear and a cool "blue" weapon.

doing pve in this game is so fun ! seriusly give it a try!

edit: when u enter for 1 time MISTS u will be in a tutorial zone, lvl 80, all unlocked at all , but its just that a tutorial zone to exlplain how mists works , u gonna need to go ahead pass a portal and u will be in the real mists !

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Been on the lookout for a new PVP game and everything I am seeing looks interesting in regards to the PVP in GW2. Couple of questions:

PVE and PVP gear are one in the same (stat wise). Getting PvP gear will give you max lvl gear, that you can easily customize at will. PVE will get you better looking gear that can be just as powerful as PvP gear at max lvl. There's no PvP stat or anything like that.

In WvW yes. In structured PvP, you automatically become max lvl (for the match) with all your skills & traits unlocked. I don't believe you earn any exp from this, but I wasn't paying enough attention to exp while doing structured PvP to be 100% positive about this.

Yes, you can play the game from lvl 1-80 entirely as PvP. As I mentioned in point #2, if you go structured PvP you will automatically be lvl 80 (it's more about customizing your build than lvling). If you go do WvW (open world pvp), you will get bolstered to 80, but have the same skills, gear, and traits as your current lvl. It's in WvW where you gain exp, loot, and money from doing PvP, and you can stay in that zone the entire game if you choose to.

Thanks in advance. 

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

There are PvP gear for stuctured pvp However they all have the same stats the higher rank gear merarly looks different walking around the lobby i found glory rank venders from 1 to 9 which only glory rank vender 1 and 2 where working during the first beta. How PvP gear works is you buy a piece of armor that has no stats except armor class which is the same one all armor for that class across glory ranks, The armor has a slot that you can put in a gem which you unlock it from the vender and it goes into your pvp chest (all armor/weapon sockets were provided in the pvp chest already) there is alot of armor gems sets available each gives a different set bonus and stats so you can build the character the way you want it. So structure PvP remain balanced.

In WvW its not as balanced you keep the gear you have on and your HP and dmg scaled up to max lvl you are nto as powerful as a lvl 80 (because of armor stats and traits/skills) but you do stand a good chance of beating a higher lvl person.

You can level yo lvl 80 through WvW at roughtly the same rate as PvE, but i dont think you get XP from structured PvP.

Killing players in WvW drop gear, weapons, loot and money equivelent to your lvl outside the mist so if your lvl 10 you will be getting the same stuff as you would from lvl 10 PvE mobs and if you were lvl 30 you will be getting equiv loot to a lvl 30 mob. So no you dont need to PvE at all if you dont want to it may be a little easier to get stuff outside WvW since it easier to kill a mob than a player but it not required to do any PvE at all. Capturing/Defending keep and caravans and all that provide Xp karma and money just like the PvE dynmaic events. There was a big fight over the middle castle when i was playing and when i captured it i leveled from lvl 7 to lvl 9 and got alot of karma and decent money from it.

Thanks in advance. 

Answeres in Red

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I get pretty bad with games when I enjoy their PVP.  If the PVP eends up being that good for me  would have a hard time logging in t anything  else..

There is a pre-purchase and that is what confused me, thank you for clarifying. Amazon offers a prepurchase while the GW2 site offers the pre-order. This is why I have seen different features offered as both were reputable sites but offering different features.

Buy it from the guildwars 2 website and you will be in the beta, i beleive there 1 or 2 other online store are the same but i dunno which ones. I bought my off the guildwars 2 website because  iwanted to see Anet get all the money instead of being split witht he retailer so i support them more for there game.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Thanks in advance. 

1. In GW2 you have two different modes; WvW and structured PvP and in structured PvP you get max stat PvP gear and you can buy more gear with different looks but same stats. In W v W pvp, you wear your PvE gear and as you kill enemies, loot drops for you that is appropriate to your level and you can gear up by just being in W v W.

2. Yes you can progress your character from 1-80 through pure W v W (you can't do this in Structured pvp) BUT if you want more skill points which allow you to unlock skills you will have to go to PvE to do challenges to gain more skill points. Note that you also gain skill points as you level up too.

3. W v W has vendors that sell gear and stat upgrades and stuff like that so you don't need to PvE to get gear, just skill points if you want more.

This is not a game.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Most of the guys I played with during the weekend weren't big MMO players.  They were mostly FPS gamers and they said this was the first MMO in which they actually "loved"  the PvP.   ...meanwhile on the beta forums, some Comp  SC2/LOL player was QQ'ing pretty hard that the PvP felt like a FPS game instead of RPG-PvP.

I don't know what to make of it all yet, just repeating what I'm hearing from people...  Draw your own conclusions.  (I hated Gw1's PvP so I was too skeptical to bother with it...I'll try it next time). 

• TbkrulezTbkrulez Member Posts: 42
    If you play structured pvp (competitiv) everyone gets the best gear by stats and your character will be max lvl, but you can unlock skins by playing the pvp. And yeah you can level from 1 to 80 throughout only playing World vs World pvp but there you stick with your actual gear, tho there is loot from players and mobs, so you can progress the same way just like u playing pve.
  • PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

I did my Pre Purchase on the GW2 webpage. In never considered buying it from any third party retailer.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

I did my Pre Purchase on the GW2 webpage. In never considered buying it from any third party retailer.

The thing is that the GW2 website 'sold out' of pre-purchases for some time, then opened it up again and have now closed it again. They want control over how many people that have access to the BWEs (server stress).

To the OP: I am certain they will open pre-purchases again at the GW2 website if you are not ok with buying the pre-purchase product from a store. They work the same (download the client online - all you get from the store is an account code).

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by Sikhander

The thing is that the GW2 website 'sold out' of pre-purchases for some time, then opened it up again and have now closed it again. They want control over how many people that have access to the BWEs (server stress).

To the OP: I am certain they will open pre-purchases again at the GW2 website if you are not ok with buying the pre-purchase product from a store. They work the same (download the client online - all you get from the store is an account code).

It seems to be open right now, at least when I checked it didn't have the sold out sign and clicking on any version sent me to add my details and billing info. I'm in Venezuela, so the site directs to the NA version, no idea about the euro one, though.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

If you want in to the beta, be absolutely sure you are pre-purchasing the game, not pre-ordering.  Some third-party retailers sold people the game with pre-order keys and those people weren't able to access the beta.  Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued.  When ArenaNet figured what the problem was, they dropped the restrictions in the pre-order keys so that everyone was able to play.  However, that was just for the past weekend.  It won't be extended to the next one.

Buy from ArenaNet directly and don't take a chance with other retailers who may, through ignorance or malice, give you the wrong product.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

To put the WvW experience gain into perspective, we checked it out briefly (30-40 minutes or so of repelling a siege together) then my wife went to check out her story quest, I stayed to do WvW.

We had both just hit 20 as we wanted to unlock our skill slot before PvPing. A few hours later (4-5 hours actually) we met up again for PvE and were both almost the same amount into lvl 23. From what we noticed, XP gains in WvW were fewer and more far between, but gave larger chunks of XP, while her story line yielded a steadier flow of smaller XP chunks.

We constantly glance at eachothers screen as we call attention to certain things, so it was apparent that throughout the duration, our exp gains were very close to similar.

As for the PvP gear, I'm a bit confused then as to what all the gear you could buy with the currency defeated players drop is then. I thought what the merchants in the mists sold looked a lot like PvP gear, as did all of the armor and enchants you could buy with that & Karma. Or are people basically just saying those items, while obtainable through PvP, are also available through PvE? Because some of those items looked very, very nice (of course I didn't see basic lvl 80 PvE gear to compare it to). Thanks in advance if anyone can clear that up for me.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It's important not to mix Structured PVP and World vs World PVP together.

Structured PvP

Structured PvP features an instanced, team vs. team, arena like form of PVP, based around a lobby system and supported by modes from casual, customized matches up to structured, formal tournaments you enter as a team.

Structured PvP is totally seperate from PvE and World vs. World. In SPVP, you automatically become a Level 80 version of your character, with all skills and trait points unlocked and access to free, max stat gear that is only used in SPVP. There is no further gear progression, but players can purchase a variety of gear for the appearance of that gear, using Glory points they earn in SPVP.

You do NOT earn XP or gear for your PvE/WvW character in SPVP.

World vs. World PvP

World vs. World (vs. World) PvP pits your game server against two other game servers in a two week war that plays out in a massive, four zone region that is seperate from the PvE world.

Your PvE character participates in WvW, with all the stats, skills, traits and gear your character possesses, but with your effective level bolstered to level 80.

A Level 30 will still be stronger than a level 10, due to gear bonuses and having more skill/trait bonuses, but the bolstering helps to level the playingfield a bit.

You do earn XP and loot while in WvW, so you can spend most of your time there and even level up exclusively via WvW participation, if you so desire.

It will still probably be beneficial to spend some time in the PvE world, to at least complete the various Skill Point Challanges available there, or even to participate in your Personal Story, which has some excellent rewards attached.

However, you can technically stay in WvW for 100% of your progression. You also earn loot in WvW, from completeing events and from downed opponents, though it's all tailored to your true level and you don't loot gear from an opponent's inventory, it's a loot roll, just like loot for killing mobs.

PvP Gear

There is no PvP stat and no items with stats designed specifically for PvP. As noted above, in SPVP you can purchase gear for the look and in WvW you gain loot just like you would in PvE and there will be vendors from which you can buy gear with Karma. However, there is no special PvP gear that will give anyone a special advantage and SPVP has no gear grind at all.

Misc

World vs. World also has resource nodes and crafting stations, so players can also progress crafting, even if they spend a majority of their time in WvW.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Valkaern

As for the PvP gear, I'm a bit confused then as to what all the gear you could buy with the currency defeated players drop is then. I thought what the merchants in the mists sold looked a lot like PvP gear, as did all of the armor and enchants you could buy with that & Karma. Or are people basically just saying those items, while obtainable through PvP, are also available through PvE? Because some of those items looked very, very nice (of course I didn't see basic lvl 80 PvE gear to compare it to). Thanks in advance if anyone can clear that up for me.

What the merchants were selling in the mists were indeed pvp gear. And yes, they are very nice. However, you will also be able to obtain those stats from lvl 80 PvE gear. Basically how it worked in GW1 is that PvP gear was the same as max-stat pve gear, but tended not to look nearly as cool. It was also a lot easier to get the stats you needed from pvp gear, as you didn't have to find the right stats, they were all just right there available to you. The system in GW2 looks very much the same in this regard.

You can also (if you want) take the gems / sigils from the pvp vendors and socket them into the pve equipment if you want (and are lvl 80). This is also a situation in which you could transmute pve equipment up to lvl 80 stats if you find lower-lvl gear that you think looks better.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Ah ok, thanks Aesperus. Sounds good.