Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO with a diverse endgame

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I have been playing WoW for years. Tonight, I was doing a random heroic when something in my brain snapped, and I thought "my God, I've been doing the SAME THING forever now." I love the game to death, but endgame is just horrid.

This is a really simple request, but does anyone know of any MMO with an endgame that isn't the same crap over and over and over? I am addicted to the MMO genre, and am worried that the only way to find what I want is to quit MMOs altogether. Does anyone know of any at all?

Edit - I'd like to add that I know there is more to WoW's endgame, but no matter how you look at it... it comes down to doing the same thing over and over to progress in a certain aspect of the game.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    The last MMO I played with a diverse end-game was FFXI. and that was over 5years ago. Diverse end-game is a lost feature in modern MMO's

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Curious, what was your MMO before WoW?
  • GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Originally posted by Nevulus

Curious, what was your MMO before WoW?

FFXI, and the above poster is absolutely correct.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

You speak of Sandbox games.

Shhhhhh

• kanwal236kanwal236 Member Posts: 4
    You want to play GW2, OP.  THe whole reason I'll be playing that game is the same reason as you have for looking for something new.  I'm tired of having end game in games where you just do the same raids over and over and hope to get lucky.  After playing the beta I'm not completely sold on GW2's endgame but it shows much more promise than any other game I have seen so far.

Originally posted by kanwal236

You want to play GW2, OP.  THe whole reason I'll be playing that game is the same reason as you have for looking for something new.  I'm tired of having end game in games where you just do the same raids over and over and hope to get lucky.  After playing the beta I'm not completely sold on GW2's endgame but it shows much more promise than any other game I have seen so far.

If he wants a diverse PVE end-game GW2  most definatly will not be the answer.

How does GW2 now have a diverse PVE endgame?

All the GW2 end-game gear has the same stats, its all cosmetic. Its not a PVE raiders game.

Originally posted by toddze

All the GW2 end-game gear has the same stats, its all cosmetic. Its not a PVE raiders game.

PVE raiders game....isn't this exactly what we're trying to get away from?  The whole reason the endgame in many games becomes stale, boring, and most of all repetitive is because you raid over and over, fighting the same boss, looking for the rare drop so you can upgrade your gear and become uber powered.  What you're suggesting is the opposite of what would make endgame diverse.

Oh and btw, having actually played the game, I can say the gear is NOT all same stats.  It is only same stats when you go into a PvP lobby, in which you are given all the gear you wear.  PVE wise, you still gotta find all your gear, and of course they are rare weapons to be found/made (not exactly sure on crafting rare weapons yet) as well.  I have only seen weapons that go up to green color, yet theres others, as seen here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item

-edit-

A great article about mmo endgame content, GW2 in particular in comparison to others (WoW):

http://www.darkademic.co.uk/blog?id=202

PVE raiders game....isn't this exactly what we're trying to get away from?  The whole reason the endgame in many games becomes stale, boring, and most of all repetitive is because you raid over and over, fighting the same boss, looking for the rare drop so you can upgrade your gear and become uber powered.  What you're suggesting is the opposite of what would make endgame diverse.

Oh and btw, having actually played the game, I can say the gear is NOT all same stats.  It is only same stats when you go into a PvP lobby, in which you are given all the gear you wear.  PVE wise, you still gotta find all your gear, and of course they are rare weapons to be found/made (not exactly sure on crafting rare weapons yet) as well.  I have only seen weapons that go up to green color, yet theres others, as seen here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item

I am not going to get drawn into a debate over this, you should go to the GW2 board, and discuss this issue further, as to avoid personal dissapointment in the game (if your a PvE raider). Its common knowlage that level 80 gear has roughly the same stats, and what you get at that point is purely cosmetic. EDIT: There will be no advantage to raided gear other than looks.

I can assure you that GW2 is not a PVE raiders game. Its a PvP'ers game.

Edit: Read through this thread and see what you think:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349641/page/1

I am not going to get drawn into a debate over this, you should go to the GW2 board, and discuss this issue further, as to avoid personal dissapointment in the game (if your a PvE raider). Its common knowlage that level 80 gear has roughly the same stats, and what you get at that point is purely cosmetic. EDIT: There will be no advantage to raided gear other than looks.

I can assure you that GW2 is not a PVE raiders game. Its a PvP'ers game.

Why should I go to the GW2 board?  This whole thing was about what the OP was asking for and I would hardly call this a PvPer's game, TERA fits the bill in that area (PvP servers anyone?).   Though a large part of the game is the ability to PvP, its PVE gameplay is the concentration and draw of the gameplay.  Regardless of your opinions on the game, this seems to be what the OP was looking for.  Also, read the article I edited into my post.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Originally posted by GPrestige

I have been playing WoW for years. Tonight, I was doing a random heroic when something in my brain snapped, and I thought "my God, I've been doing the SAME THING forever now." I love the game to death, but endgame is just horrid.

This is a really simple request, but does anyone know of any MMO with an endgame that isn't the same crap over and over and over? I am addicted to the MMO genre, and am worried that the only way to find what I want is to quit MMOs altogether. Does anyone know of any at all?

Edit - I'd like to add that I know there is more to WoW's endgame, but no matter how you look at it... it comes down to doing the same thing over and over to progress in a certain aspect of the game.

You might want to look into The Secret World.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

i'm not sure what the end game to GW2 is because theres no raiding and nobody could get to the lvl cap to see the end in a weekend beta anyway lol but i'm looking forward to it.

i bought GW2 and Diablo 3 so i have games to play that DON'T have raiding in them but if you look at diablo in a more simplified way instead of long boring raids where your killing a boss or several over and over again for loot diablo its just that your killing stuff over and over again farming for loot just not with 10-25 other people atleast in diablo 3 you can SELL items for cash !

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    EVE, where end game really starts as soon as you exit the tutorial. Might be too strong a shock to your system OP but hey, it has a free trial that you can even run multiple times.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I like the topic as it raises questions about MMOs in general. I think a response to the OP needs to include a question: what does "diverse endgame" mean to you?"

It seems like we're so used to the endgame created by the big AAA MMOs that we can hardly think of alternate possibilities. In LOTRO when people ask the question about alternatives to raiding, most people suggest RP, deeds and rolling alts. In WoW it might be archaeology, RP, the money game (AH) and rolling alts. In other games, it could be PvP.

For a lot of people, it's PvP. For others, it's crafting, hobbies, rolling alts, exploration, achievements, soloing instances or otherwise pushing the limit on how to play your characters. In sandbox-y games, it might be building something and then defending it. What kind of diversity do you want?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The idea of an endgame is that it needs to be something that doesn't take much development time, but keeps players occupied for a long, long time.  It should be obvious why that leads to extremely repetitive endgames.