Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finished my new build today...{upgraded}

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

The last time I built a new PC was a few months before FFXIV launched, so nearing 2 years ago.  Didn't need to upgrade yet, but I really wanted an Ivy Bridge CPU since I passed on Sandy Bridge.  Was using an i7 875K and I had the money so why not!   And while I didn't build this new PC for any specific game, I'll certainly be playing GW2, D3, and many others this year including checking out FFXIV 2.0.  Before anyone says it, yes this PC is extreme overkill for just gaming, but I like having a PC that runs everything well aboce excellent for next 4+ years before upgrading again ~ at least thats hopefully the plan this time.

I did finally decided to get an SSD, and yes they are much nicer than I thought,{definitely get one if you can afford too} at least as far as using Win 7 goes.  Still installing software and the like and setting up my HDDs for storage and whatnot, but I'll be sure to test out some heavy loadscreen games on it soon.

I know some people don't like to hear their case fans, so don't copy this build if it does, cause it makes a lot of noise ~ like a furnace, but it doesn't bother me.  It has 10x 120mm, 5x 140mm and 3x 230mm fans...not including the 80mm turbine fan on the heatsink, the 120mm on the PSU and the one on the GPU.

Oh yeah, routing all the cables took about 5hrs, as it was difficult to keep a clean look all-the-while having enough length to reach all the hardware.  It really is a massive case, with some cables just barely reaching, but I wouldn't settle for any hanging loose or stretched across the interior of the case.  Its all about the air flow and keeping it clear so temps stay as low as possible.

Here is what I bought: {many of these parts I got cheaper than linked, from promotions, bundles and discounts...}

Thus far ~  $1972.50

-Minus $300 {from selling my GTX 580}

Total ~ $1672.50

Parts that I already owned:  {older and discontinued, but still work fabulously}

Pics of my build through to completion:

Thanks for looking...

Comments

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Those luminescant fans on top look crazy! Awesome build, and yes, a bit overkill ;) But very cool!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    What's your CPU and GPU temperature? And I like your case :) I might buy one if I find it where I stay!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Aori

Does it sound like a jet engine or does the case absorb sound?

Its pretty damn loud, or rather much louder than my previous build that only had one 120mm on the side.  Plus I'm only sitting about 3ft from the case, but once I get my 7.1 Surround System cranked up and into a game you don't hear it.  Like I said though, it doesn't really bother me.  I actually kinda enjoy hearing it.  Its like using an ambient noise maker that helps me sleep too.

Originally posted by IceAge

What's your CPU and GPU temperature? And I like your case :) I might buy one if I find it where I stay!

This is at idle, havn't done any benchmarking or played any games yet, thus I'm not sure what temps are at a full load.  Still setting some things up.  I didn't buy the best CPU heatsink, wanted to get a Noctua but it wouldn't clear the high-profile RAM I bought without breaking off about 5 fins, so it could be a bit cooler, but its decent enough.  The Ivy Bridge CPUs do run a bit hotter than Sandy Bridge too, though I've read thats only when OCing over 4.5GHz, but I guess we'll see once I get a game installed.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

That case is so big that it manages to make a full size ATX motherboard look small.

There are a lot of things in there that fall under the category of, "You could argue that it's a waste of money, but it's not like there's better stuff to spend it on if your budget is $2000 excluding peripherals".  Because what else is there to get?  A Seasonic Platinum?  SLI?  (It's hard enough to find one GTX 680, let alone two.)  Quieter fans?  You're certainly not getting that kind of airflow in a case designed to be quiet.  You've already got the top of the line processor and video card, a good SSD with 238 GB of capacity, and a very good power supply, so it's not like you're skimping on stuff that matters to make room for a zillion fans.

Are you overclocking it?

Originally posted by Quizzical

Are you overclocking it?

Only the GPU atm, {^see screenshot above}  but I'm considering taking the CPU up to at least 4.0GHz.  Its already extreme overkill as is, but we'll see how temps are at 4.0 and decided from there.

Installed the Heaven benchmark 3.0 and gave it a run through to see if upgrading to the i7 3770K made much difference.  And for comparisons sake, here are some past runs from my previous build.  The 680 is OCed in these benchmarks. {see image a few posts above for specs}

My old PC running the i7 875K and the GTX 580

Old PC again with i7 875K but with the GTX 680

New PC with i7 3770K and the GTX 680

Not a massively huge difference, but every little bit counts!

• RhypoRhypo Member UncommonPosts: 23

edit: nvm, thought u were using 32bit windows lol, then i read the rest :D

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

as someone who used to build cpus for work ,  i see few issues, total overkill on fans, probably will do more harm than actually good, but i might be wrong, still overkill, im fairly confident if you would take 90% of them and leave 0-1 top 1-2 on side, you would have maybe 2 celcius higher temp

nice wiring but bit useless with huge case, no sli card, no sound card, no extra cards,

gona be painwhen you will need to add something to get wires untied

huge cpu cooler + all needless side fans and no oc..disapointed, overclocking is best part of building new pc, so much fun, not to mention benefit, 3k cpu is far from overkill considering that there are few games supporting more than 2 cores, and still very many with just 1 core support, so having 3 or 4k is huge difference

i still miss the point of this topic, you spend so much money to build mediacore rig, with flashy lights and fan fest

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Congrats, nice build.

I think you need one of these -

or these

Just set it on top and watch it spin.

Originally posted by Smikis

as someone who used to build cpus for work ,  i see few issues, total overkill on fans, probably will do more harm than actually good, but i might be wrong, still overkill, im fairly confident if you would take 90% of them and leave 0-1 top 1-2 on side, you would have maybe 2 celcius higher temp

I think the point of the huge number of fans is more "wouldn't it be cool to have a huge number of fans?" than "I need a huge number of fans or things will overheat!"  That's the principle behind a lot of weird case mods, and there's nothing wrong with it.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    NIce rig.  One thought though.  One thing I've learned over the years of building systems is to keep the CPU HS Simple as they dirty way to fast and are time conpuming to clean.

Couldn't say whether having this many fans is bad or good, but I suppose whomever designed this case did so for a reason, so it can't be all bad.

Don't really see the need for SLi when a single best-of-best GPU is plenty considering that our selection of PC games are mostly console ported, and don't require that much to run.  SLi I only see necessary for those looking to increase their e-peen benchmark scores.

I do have a discrete sound card{see images} ~ Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer 7.1 w/ a Creative 7.1 Speaker setup.  What extra card do I need?  None that I can think of.  I do have an extra 3x HDD for storage, a 1TB, a 320GB and a 300GB.  And should I need to run a new cable, its not very difficult to remove those ties, and run the new cable or just ziptie a new cable along said wiring.

Take it you missed the part where I said I'm still setting up my PC, and havn't yet gotten to the point of OCing, but then again with such a powerful PC in as is stock settings is already extreme overkill, so why bother OCing if it makes little difference.

The point ~ have you never gotten excited about something new and wanted to share it with others?  It may not be exciting to you or maybe you're jealous thus being a hater instead...anyway... 

Originally posted by Smikis

I think the point of the huge number of fans is more "wouldn't it be cool to have a huge number of fans?" than "I need a huge number of fans or things will overheat!"  That's the principle behind a lot of weird case mods, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Precisely...

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by Khrymson

The point ~ have you never gotten excited about something new and wanted to share it with others?  It may not be exciting to you or maybe you're jealous thus being a hater instead...anyway... 

My thoughts exactly. Point was he was excited about it and wanted to share, dont be a jerk about it.

For you build, I would of went a different route but I do envy that you had that much money to play with. Nice setup mate, hope ya keep enjoying it.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Nice build.....Suggestion....since I see no sound card maybee a good set of over the ear USB headphones will suppress a lot if not eliminate all the fan noise......I have a cheap pair of Microsoft Live Chat 3000 for 20 bucks that do fine but there are some really nice sets on Newegg going very cheap.... Nevermind , I put on my glasses and if that is a sound card in there , my apologies, but the over the ear headset suggestion is still a good one....This rig is really nice,  drool...  8p - -

Originally posted by lokiboard

Nice build.....Suggestion....since I see no sound card

Hehe...see images in the OP again, and post 15 above^  

I do have a discrete Sound Card  ~  the Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer 7.1 w/ Creative 7.1 surround speakers!

Updating OP...

In that case, why don't you get a sound card?  (kidding)

-----

Part of the point of having a huge number of fan mounts is so that you can get the airflow exactly where you need it.  If you've got 2 or 3 video cards and want to blow air in between the cards, then no matter which motherboard you have, which PCI Express slots the cards use, which video cards you use, and where the fans on the cards are, you can position fans to get the airflow exactly where you need it.

And part of the point of such cases is to do what you did:  fill all the fan mounts so that people can look at it and say, whoa, that's a lot of fans.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by lokiboard

Nice build.....Suggestion....since I see no sound card

Hehe...see images in the OP again, and post 15 above^  

I do have a discrete Sound Card  ~  the Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer 7.1 w/ Creative 7.1 surround speakers!

Updating OP...

Yep sorry, I need to upgrade my glasses......    ;-)

Part of the point of having a huge number of fan mounts is so that you can get the airflow exactly where you need it.  

If you or anyone is wondering what the intake/exhaust are for the fans:

• The 9x 120mm on the left side are intake for everything.

• The 1x 120mm on the right side is an intake directly on the rear of the CPU.

• The 2x front 140mm are intake for the SSD and HDDs.

• The 2x mid-front interior 140mm are exhaust for a push/pull system across the SSD/HDDs.

• The rear 140mm is an exhaust.

• The top two and bottom 230mm are all set as exhaust.
  • F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59
    Odd.. My pc (that i did build 2-3 years ago) still runs every game i make it...

Core2duo E6600
    4gb patriot ddr2
    Generic gaming 750w psu
    GTX260 Nvidia GPU
    I forget the motherboard...
    Cant be bothered to take side off machine :P

True.. If i had the funds i would make a better computer.. My mobo has died 3 times, but nothing a new resistor cant fix lol

My computer NEVER gets dusty :D
    TIP: buy some cheap tights.. And rubber bands.. Tada!! Your fans now have dust protectors lol.. Far better than buying some expensive coolmaster piece of foam :O

• F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59
    Also.. Your airflow seems.. Off.
    You have FAR too much coming in directly onto the motherboard, i suggest changing them around, side panel as exhaust, ect.

If anything, the absurd amount of fans are doing well.  In my old case that only had about 8 fans with a single 120mm on the side, my GPU temp at 37% fan speed was around 34c, and when I had a TV Show running or streaming a YouTube video it would jump to around 47-49c. 

The reference GTX 680 does not have the vapor chamber cooling like the reference GTX 580 that I had prior.  It makes a huge difference, but anyway, getting to my cooling point.

In my new case though, with the GTX 680 still at 37% fan speed, which is what I generally keep it at during idle, web browsing & TV Show watching times, the GPU's temp is holding steady at about 30c, but here is the nifty part ~ when I load up a TV Show or stream a video, its temp is remaining quite low at around 34c.  Thats a substantial 13-15c cooler...

I like it~!  

I plan to upgrade my EVGA GTX 680 2GB Reference Model to the EVGA GTX 680 FTW 4GB model as soon as it releases sometime this month.   And while I don't really need the 4GB of memory seeing as I only game at 1920*1080 on a single monitor, I do want the vapor chamber cooling tech, and the FTW model is the only one that has it.  Though I'm sure the Classified model will have it too, but thats several months away and I really don't need that card.

If anything, the absurd amount of fans are doing well.  In my old case that only had about 8 fans with a single 120mm on the side, my GPU temp at 37% fan speed was around 34c, and when I had a TV Show running or streaming a YouTube video it would jump to around 47-49c. 

The reference GTX 680 does not have the vapor chamber cooling like the reference GTX 580 that I had prior.  It makes a huge difference, but anyway, getting to my cooling point.

In my new case though, with the GTX 680 still at 37% fan speed, which is what I generally keep it at during idle, web browsing & TV Show watching times, the GPU's temp is holding steady at about 30c, but here is the nifty part ~ when I load up a TV Show or stream a video, its temp is remaining quite low at around 34c.  Thats a substantial 13-15c cooler...

I like it~!  

I plan to upgrade my EVGA GTX 680 2GB Reference Model to the EVGA GTX 680 FTW 4GB model as soon as it releases sometime this month.   And while I don't really need the 4GB of memory seeing as I only game at 1920*1080 on a single monitor, I do want the vapor chamber cooling tech, and the FTW model is the only one that has it.  Though I'm sure the Classified model will have it too, but thats several months away and I really don't need that card.

That's not a difference between cases.  Case fans aren't sub-ambient cooling.  That's a difference between video cards.  Fermi was a power hog and Kepler isn't.

That's not a difference between cases.  Case fans aren't sub-ambient cooling.  That's a difference between video cards.  Fermi was a power hog and Kepler isn't.

Those temps are a comparison of my GTX 680 from my old case to the new case and I'm seeing a 13-15c difference when watching/streaming media files.  I had the 680 in my old case for the past month before switching it to this new build.    Brought up the 580 because of the Vapor chamber cooling tech.