Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF...face rolling hotkeys didn't work so good.

PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

I spent nearly the entire WBE playing as I have always played (face rolling the hotkeys) which means I died ALLOT.  At first it was really annoying. But near the end of the event I started learning the skills more and began to use them in a more thought out process.

Basicly I had to read and re-read all the ability descriptions and experiment with diff combos to see what worked best which is currently a work in progress.

Face rolling the keyboard jsut does not work with this game.

I am not trolling here.

This was my good humored atempt to point out the difference in combat between GW2 and every other game ever made and my lack of ability to quickly adjust to the new combat dynamic. I will get it ...i'll practice untill I do ....then I will chop your face off..:)

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
8 gig Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Honestly, you can still face roll just have to watch your movement.

Thats the realiy of it. I went into WvW as a level 2 enigneer without all my weapon skills. Was fighting level 80 npc like nothing. Just have to make sure your movement is right. Face roll away!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Which class / weapon sets did you use? What level were the mobs?

Because i didn't even have to faceroll with thief, pressing 111111 was good enough most of the time. Could have easily killed mobs 10 lvls above mine with cripple + autoattck, if the game would have allowed me to deal more than 0-1 damage to them...

Hype train -> Reality

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Thats the realiy of it. I went into WvW as a level 2 enigneer without all my weapon skills. Was fighting level 80 npc like nothing. Just have to make sure your movement is right. Face roll away!!!

Heh... you can try. When I use the skills as intended and celebrate with a Finishing move on your downed body, maybe you'll reassess that assessment.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

^ A lesson on how to suck at PvP.

What's funny is this guy was calling guardians underpowered the other day.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

When you play, do you start with the left side of your face or the right? And how do you watch your movement when your face is on your keyboard?

And really, do you find comments like the one you made helpful in any way?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Sure, let me faceroll and shadowstep into a bunch of players with my sword and pistol. Won't work. We get that you don't like the game, so do us all a favour and stop trolling, and even better, grow up.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Heheh...man you are getting lit up pretty badly for this statement, but honestly I see where you are coming from.

Oftentimes when I was working on a new weapon, I would have to use only the "1" skill to kill mobs.  And against some mobs this is very viable with a movement technique like circle strafing.  For example the drakes that take forever to charge up their flame burst...you can literally just walk behind them and whale away while they charge up.  And throwing in dodging and your heal helps a lot as well.

There are some mobs that this just doesn't work agaisnt though.  Ranged mobs, for example will typically destroy you if you try this.  There's just no way to outmanuever their range.  You have dodge, but that's liimited.

So in the end, there are mobs that you can beat by "dancing" around them and using the "1" skill, and mobs that will give oyu a lot of trouble if you try this.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Technically, it's probably possible to spam your "1" key and take out most of the normal mobs in the game.  The point is that it's not as effective as using the array of skills that are available.  It's also plain stupid to do that when say, you're facing multiple enemies and just spam your first skill, when you have one or more AoE or multi-targetable spells you could use. 

I'm sure there are some stubborn asses out there who would do it just to prove that you can auto-attack your way from 1 to 80.  These are the rocket scientists I would most like to meet in PvP.

Originally posted by Unlight

Technically, it's probably possible to spam your "1" key and take out most of the normal mobs in the game. The point is that it's not as effective as using the array of skills that are available.

Sure, but that leads to my next problem with combat: Using your skills properly often isn't that much more effective than it seems. If you can't kill a mob with autoattack and some basic movement - chances are you can't kill it with a more sophisticed combo, either. In PvP, that will indeed matter - but world PvE looks like it will turn into hack n slash.

Also, the "proper" use of skills + traits is usually pretty obvious and leaving little room to really "play your way", like you could in GW1. But that's a different problem xP

Hype train -> Reality

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Palladin

I spent the entire WBE playing as I have always played (face rolling the hotkeys) which means I died ALLOT.  At first it was really annoying. But near the end of the event I started learning the skills more and began to use them in a more thought out process.

Basicly I had to read and re-read all the ability descriptions and experiment with diff combos to see what worked best which is currently a work in progress.

I am not trolling here.

This was my good humored atempt to point out the difference in combat between GW2 and every other game ever made and my lack of ability to quickly adjust to the new combat dynamic. I will get it ...i'll practice untill I do ....then I will chop your face off..:)

Or choose a new class. I find that some classes just don't work for some people. It's not neccessarily skill, it's playstyle.  And GW2 tends to be one of those games that demands you be skilled at your playstyle.  I'd try a different class, different weapons and abilities.  

The first couple of levels of me forcing myself to play an engineer melee class were tough, i tried out a few different skill combinations before finally settling on the progression to my final build.  I

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Notice that he didn't share how it went fighting another player. More like face plow into the turf as opposed to faceroll.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Technically, it's probably possible to spam your "1" key and take out most of the normal mobs in the game. The point is that it's not as effective as using the array of skills that are available.

Sure, but that leads to my next problem with combat: Using your skills properly often isn't that much more effective than it seems. If you can't kill a mob with autoattack and some basic movement - chances are you can't kill it with a more sophisticed combo, either.

Right. Because stuff like block, dodge, stun, weaken, poison, KB, KD is all just fluff and doesn't do squat. Have you played anything but Space Invaders? Heck, even there you have to dodge!

(Which of course makes GW2 a total Space Invader clone.)

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

If you move enough you will not die, correct. You really wont get anything done efficiently in pve early on and you will probably die later on. Pvp just moving might keep you alive(only against really bad people) but you wont kill anyone. So ya, keep face rolling to be as usefull as a flat tire...

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by colddog04

^ A lesson on how to suck at PvP.

What's funny is this guy was calling guardians underpowered the other day.

Ya, Ive seen him post a bunch of pretty interesting posts lately.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Dont be afraid to practise weapon swapping when needed. Makes things even more interesting.
  • PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by dontadow

I spent the entire WBE playing as I have always played (face rolling the hotkeys) which means I died ALLOT.  At first it was really annoying. But near the end of the event I started learning the skills more and began to use them in a more thought out process.

I am not trolling here.

Or choose a new class. I find that some classes just don't work for some people. It's not neccessarily skill, it's playstyle.  And GW2 tends to be one of those games that demands you be skilled at your playstyle.  I'd try a different class, different weapons and abilities.  

The first couple of levels of me forcing myself to play an engineer melee class were tough, i tried out a few different skill combinations before finally settling on the progression to my final build.  I

I can play any class any style there is. It jsut takes a little time to adjust is all.

8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Sure, but that leads to my next problem with combat: Using your skills properly often isn't that much more effective than it seems. If you can't kill a mob with autoattack and some basic movement - chances are you can't kill it with a more sophisticed combo, either. In PvP, that will indeed matter - but world PvE looks like it will turn into hack n slash.

Also, the "proper" use of skills + traits is usually pretty obvious and leaving little room to really "play your way", like you could in GW1. But that's a different problem xP

That's just not true. It may seem that way while you are still learning to play your profession and mastering the skills, but once you do start to really get how all your skills work, you most definitely can take down foes you never would be able to with basic play.

I had a number of encounters were the right weapon swap and the right skill use at exactly the right time won me a victory that would have otherwise proven elusive.

In the last hour of the WBE, I took on a very difficult Champion Ettin solo with my level 20 Elementalist, just to see if I could take it out. I died three times before I took a better look at my skills, figured out a strategy and managed to finally take it out after a very harrowing 10 minute battle. XP, as it is for all kills, was minimal, but I did get a nice chest peice upgrade which I hope I will be able to enjoy if our WBE1 characters carry over to WBE2.

It's not just soloing tough mobs where strategy becomes important. I had a number of DEs with large groups of PCs taking on large groups of NPCS where changing strategy and tactics involving skill use made a huge difference either in my survivability, or even in the actual course of the battle.

There is a lot of depth here. I spent 38 hours playing during WBE1 and it wasn't until the final half day that things really started to gel  for me and my survivability and combat efficiency started to show major improvement. (There was progress, of course, continually over the course of the beta, but at some point, everything starts to really come together and game play can make a major leap forward).

I know I still have a lot to learn and I expect that my combat proficiency will continue to improve over the course of WBE2 and beyond.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• palladin -

It was very frustrating for me the first few hours and was still learning stuff as server was shut down.  This game definitely requires more thought and flat out practice than others.

fiontar -

Not that I got to the level you did but this was also my experience.  It was on Sunday afternoon that things started clicking though it will take much more game time for me to become more than just competent.

Originally posted by fiontar

I had a number of encounters were the right weapon swap and the right skill use at exactly the right time won me a victory that would have otherwise proven elusive.

In the last hour of the WBE, I took on a very difficult Champion Ettin solo with my level 20 Elementalist, just to see if I could take it out. I died three times before I took a better look at my skills, figured out a strategy and managed to finally take it out after a very harrowing 10 minute battle.  lot to learn and I expect that my combat proficiency will continue to improve over the course of WBE2 and beyond.

I read that elementalist is currently one of the most versatile classes, i was actually planning to re-roll an ele or maybe warrior next beta. maybe thief was simply a bad choice for me...

Hype train -> Reality

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by fiontar

In the last hour of the WBE, I took on a very difficult Champion Ettin solo with my level 20 Elementalist, just to see if I could take it out. I died three times before I took a better look at my skills, figured out a strategy and managed to finally take it out after a very harrowing 10 minute battle. A lot to learn and I expect that my combat proficiency will continue to improve over the course of WBE2 and beyond.

I read that elementalist is currently one of the most versatile classes, i was actually planning to re-roll an ele or maybe warrior next beta. maybe thief was simply a bad choice for me...

Definitely a very versitile profession. Steeper learning curve as a result and it takes forever to unlock all weapon skills for all attunements, but for people who like complex MO professions, I think this is a great match. (I believe Engineer is in a similar league, for those who prefer gadget tech to magic).

I played a Thief to level 10 and found things were starting to click more by that point, but I just didn't have time to pursue it further. I think most professions have a lot of potential that just isn't evident with out achieving a certain level of adeptness through game play experience.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

One of the tings that mobs like to do is the movement debuffs. I died most often while debuffed in this way. I know the guardian has several debuff counters but my ignorance of the skills and abilities proved fatal in most cases. I am deff going to have to pay more attention the what skills do and when it's best to use them.

Mobs ususally use their largest damge abilities right after they debuff you. I have never seen in a game before. Though frustraiting it made the fights much more interesting and I found myself laughing histaricly when getting killed in this manner.

I also need to dodge more.

8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

I spent nearly the entire WBE playing as I have always played (face rolling the hotkeys) which means I died ALLOT.  At first it was really annoying. But near the end of the event I started learning the skills more and began to use them in a more thought out process.

I am not trolling here.

Dont know why people keep talking about ¨how hard is to play the game¨, is up to your MMO experience i guess. It took me like 15 min to learn how to play it at 80 on PvP. I have played MMO with 4 or more bars full of skills + WASD + RightClick on the Mouse to move around ur target, GW2 just have a few keys of skill, and the CD is slow or long so you dont really need to be fast and the Dodge system? If you have played AoC or any console game there is nothing hard in GW2 gameplay, is just double tap, and still it have a CD.  

Well, that's entirely untrue from my experience.  Taking the Ranger as an example, I could kite stuff all over using nothing but autoattack, do average damage and eventually kill the mob.  Of course, that runs the risk of kiting into other mobs by accident and getting swarmed or just not having sufficient room to kite.

Or...

I lead with Hunter's Shot, apply Vulnerability to the target and swiftness to my pet, letting it get into melee faster, then we both can enjoy increased damage,  THEN, follow that up with Rapid Shot while Vulnerability is still up to maximize my DPS.  THEN I can either run around to kite and let the mob get close to me while Long Range Shot is continually plunking arrows in, THEN use Point Blank Shot when it's right in my face to hurl it back to the maximum distance the skill is capable of.  THEN, I can optionally use my pet's ability to freeze the target and keep it at range.  This will halve the time you need to be in combat.

That's for a single mob.  What about if there is a group?  Maybe start off with Barrage, not only for the AoE damage but for the AoE cripple, buying me more time to stay at range.  Or maybe it would be better to wait on the Barrage because the mobs are a bit too widespread to hit them all, and instead agro them with the pet, get them bunched up, Barrage them, use Heal as One while recalling the pet to give it a chance to heal, then start focusing on an indivdual.

And that's for normal mobs.  Champions?  I'd start in melee, with sword and dagger equipped so I can apply poison and cripple debuffs before swapping back to range.  Then swapping again once it closes on me and once again when my weapons swap is off cooldown, all the while allowing my skills in the dormant weapon sets to recharge.

The bottom line here is that yes, you can get away with lazy play against single, normal mobs, but you will have a tougher time against anything beyond that.  Not to mention, using your skills properly will bring down the enemy much faster than autoattacking it down.  And it should probably be pointed out that if you aren't practicing with those other skills frequently, when it comes to the point that you absolutely need them to defeat a big baddie or when you get overwhelmed, you WON'T know how to use them properly and you WILL be taking a dirtnap.  Oh, and you WILL be getting chewed to pulp in dungeons and PvP.

Playing the game is more dependent on your skill and your familiarity with your profession than most other MMOs.  If you aren't practicing, you're atrophying.

But do as you will.

Originally posted by Eletheryl

I am not trolling here.

Dont know why people keep talking about ¨how hard is to play the game¨, is up to your MMO experience i guess. It took me like 15 min to learn how to play it at 80 on PvP. I have played MMO with 4 or more bars full of skills + WASD + RightClick on the Mouse to move around ur target, GW2 just have a few keys of skill, and the CD is slow or long so you dont really need to be fast and the Dodge system? If you have played AoC or any console game there is nothing hard in GW2 gameplay, is just double tap, and still it have a CD.  

It's not hard to play.  It's hard to master.  You haven't mastered anything but being an inviting target.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

This kind of solo PvE difficulty is what is going to set this game apart from many of the others.  I think most MMO players are on such autopilot solo PvE that they don't even notice that it's boring and pointless. 

Hopefully this game will go the solo PvE difficulty route of EQ1 and Vanguard and appeal to those players.  Ironically, because I know this game is trying to be billed as the be all end all for uber casuals who would hate EQ and VG.  GW2 may just appeal to a much wider audience than I first thought.

I am basing my assumptions off of other people's beta impressions as I was not there.  For all I know this may be another faceroll game, just hoping it's not.