Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gear Grind?

AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Was in a thread earlier about stats on gear in GW2 and other games and the grind through which you get better gear in other games. I was wondering if, even tho in terms of, let's call it gear level, everyone has the same level on their gear, there won't be a gear grind in GW2 also? This grind won't be based on getting higher stats, but instead on getting better looks and optimised stats to better suit your playstyle(s). What do you guys think?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    There is no "gear grind". You'll of course get progressively better gear as you level, but level 80 gear is all comparable. There's no treadmill at the end for ever increasingly powerful gear. You can get the look you want, you can use T-stones to get the stats you want. You'll never be obsolete.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

Well that is essentially what it is, a grind for flashy armor and weapons.  Doing difficult explorable mode dungeons to get tokens to buy the cool armor will be an achievement in its own without the armor being 10 times better than any world drop.  A simple random mob lvl 80 drop will be "the same" in terms of item level/power as a hardmode lvl 80 dungeon grind item.  Just two different looks.

Some will like the challenge to show off the sweet set of armor proving you can finish the dungeon, some will care less and just have fun in WvW with their soloable gained lvl 80 items.  Some will just grind to get the achievement points.  It is all a matter on how you view this concept that you will not make your character grow in power, you make the player (you) grow in skill.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    well ican see you can buy gear whit karma it not cost really alot is not like you  will spend a year getting it and ofcourse if you travel to waypont to another you will find even  easily and get karma faster and whit boost if you like,but mi opinion  i will not spend karma on low lvl gear when im gonna get 80 if you know what i mean? so of couse it will be bette save it and get step by step is not hard knowing it required time  but easy and of course is optional moslty skin look

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Volkon

There is no "gear grind". You'll of course get progressively better gear as you level, but level 80 gear is all comparable. There's no treadmill at the end for ever increasingly powerful gear. You can get the look you want, you can use T-stones to get the stats you want. You'll never be obsolete.

As you can see, I did say it isn't ever incresingly powerful gear, but there is gear to suite your playstyle better. You won't be obsolete, but it will help to have gear best suited for your spec.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    How is this different than anything on the other thread about the same topic?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by dadante666

well ican see you can buy gear whit karma it not cost really alot is not like you  will spend a year getting it and ofcourse if you travel to waypont to another you will find even  easily and get karma faster and whit boost if you like,but mi opinion  i will not spend karma on low lvl gear when im gonna get 80 if you know what i mean? so of couse it will be bette save it and get step by step is not hard knowing it required time  but easy and of course is optional moslty skin look

I think some of this gear I'm talking about, and correct me if I'm wrong, only drops in explorable mode and you have to hope it drops from a boss.

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248
    There will be world drops, karma vendor, token vendor, dungeon drops equipment as far as I know.  They may also add seperate WvW drops as a completly different set of armor to look at.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

How is this different than anything on the other thread about the same topic?

Because I'm asking if it could be considered a gear grind and he asks if it's true that the gear that drops is only aestetically different, while not making you more powerful in the sence that it makes you more powerful in, let's say, raid centric games? I think it is different.

Originally posted by Arachneus1

There will be world drops, karma vendor, token vendor, dungeon drops equipment as far as I know.  They may also add seperate WvW drops as a completly different set of armor to look at.

Ye, wasn't thinking only from the looks viewpoint, but from the that chest with 70 vitality and 30 power drops from explorable dungeon boss X. While I have a chest with 50 vitality 50 power, which in terms of stats is the same, that 1st chest would suite my spec better. Was wondering if you think trying to get that chest could be considered a grind too, even tho it doesn't make you notably more powerful, just better at the way you choose to play.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

grind means repetative and boring, so not really (opinions start to come in here) the worst you will likely see, is doing a dungeon like 8 times (each dungeon has multiple routes(one route per run thru) and lots of stuff to keep it different so from all appearances it seems like a dungeon would stay fun for 20-30 runs at least for me with a little spaceing out and doing other stuff the more i space it out the more times i can do it)

each run in a dungeon gives u a token which can be traded for 1 item from said dungeon, you get one every successfull playthrough no matter what. so no grind for those unique dungeon looks.

as for unique stuff from karma vendors, well thats a bit more of a perspective things, the point of the game pve wise is exploring and doing DE's which of course give you karma to get cool stuff. so not really since DE's are the prime form of open world entertainment in game. so all in all not really. there are however likely to be from what i hear titles that require grinding for people who enjoy grind for rewards type things (sorta like the grindy titles in gw1).

also quick question bout one of ur posts what do you mean explorable mode? you mean doing stuff in the open world like DE's? the dungeons have story mode (the first easyest time you run thru a dungeon) and then a mode where you get to choose form 4 different routes thru the dungeon that also have random encounters to change things up, each run drops the same token. (storymode drops a token as well)

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    I put a link of a video with the exact response from the developers about this aspect in the other thread, try to find it.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    I guess you can consider hunting for different looking gear as grind but it's not a required grind. In other MMOs you pretty much have to grind in order to remain competitive. In GW2 you already are competitive but if you want a different look, you can farm/grind/hunt for it.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Arachneus1

Well that is essentially what it is, a grind for flashy armor and weapons.  Doing difficult explorable mode dungeons to get tokens to buy the cool armor will be an achievement in its own without the armor being 10 times better than any world drop.  A simple random mob lvl 80 drop will be "the same" in terms of item level/power as a hardmode lvl 80 dungeon grind item.  Just two different looks.

Some will like the challenge to show off the sweet set of armor proving you can finish the dungeon, some will care less and just have fun in WvW with their soloable gained lvl 80 items.  Some will just grind to get the achievement points.  It is all a matter on how you view this concept that you will not make your character grow in power, you make the player (you) grow in skill.

Yeah, sure. You can grind out cosmetic gear and customize it to have the stats you want on it.

It could be a big part of the fun for a lot of people that are more achievment based players.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It's kind of ironic that players are always complaining that everyone looks the same.  GW2 comes along and gives them the opportunity to acquire different armor sets, so they can differentiate from everyone else, and still lets them customize certain stats, thus creating more diverse options.  Yet, players are upset about gear not giving them a sense of progression, because certain stats don't increase. 

Originally posted by bazak

grind means repetative and boring, so not really (opinions start to come in here) the worst you will likely see, is doing a dungeon like 8 times (each dungeon has multiple routes(one route per run thru) and lots of stuff to keep it different so from all appearances it seems like a dungeon would stay fun for 20-30 runs at least for me with a little spaceing out and doing other stuff the more i space it out the more times i can do it)

each run in a dungeon gives u a token which can be traded for 1 item from said dungeon, you get one every successfull playthrough no matter what. so no grind for those unique dungeon looks.

as for unique stuff from karma vendors, well thats a bit more of a perspective things, the point of the game pve wise is exploring and doing DE's which of course give you karma to get cool stuff. so not really since DE's are the prime form of open world entertainment in game. so all in all not really. there are however likely to be from what i hear titles that require grinding for people who enjoy grind for rewards type things (sorta like the grindy titles in gw1).

Aha, ok, thx, this preety much answered my question. I didn't know about the tokens dropping in explorables that enable you to buy explorable dungeon gear. So not the grind in the definition of doing the same bosses 100 times in this game I guess. Good to know.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by observer

It's kind of ironic that players are always complaining that everyone looks the same.  GW2 comes along and gives them the opportunity to acquire different armor sets, so they can differentiate from everyone else, and still lets them customize certain stats, thus creating more diverse options.  Yet, players are upset about gear not giving them a sense of progression, because certain stats don't increase. 

World of Warcraft has really programmed them well.

Where did I complain about any of that stuff?

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Where did I complain about any of that stuff?

Wasn't directed at you, but generally from people over the years, in forums and in game.

Aha, ok, thx, this preety much answered my question. I didn't know about the tokens dropping in explorables that enable you to buy explorable dungeon gear. So not the grind in the definition of doing the same bosses 100 times in this game I guess. Good to know.

I just found this video that shows the armor vendors and how many tokens they require.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrO9C5qTgc

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Now granted this is beta, however this was not the case.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Whatever-happened-to-One-piece-of-gear-per-dungeon/page/1#post167267

This from Mechos on the GW2 Beta Forums.

"Hey, just one thing I noticed during the beta, was the dungeon armour set vendors used 100’s of ‘points’, rather than ‘tokens’ as was previously advertised (or as I was lead to believe).

Is ArenaNet still planning on keeping their ‘one piece of armour (explorable mode)/one weapon (story mode) per run’ model? Because I liked that. It was a good way to solve the ‘dungeon grind’ problem that plagues most MMO’s (cough WoW, TOR… cough). So I really hope this was just a case of beta being beta and the single-token system isn’t implemented yet."

If you read the whole thread, someone point out you get 5 tokens per run. Which would mean around 20 runs per piece. Seems like it might be a bit of grind after all.

I just found this video that shows the armor vendors and how many tokens they require.

wow, thats news to me, thanks for showing me that O.o now i gotta wonder if u still only get one token per playthru and how long it takes to playthru a dungeon on a good team... if its still only 1 token i now have my first gripe against GW2 (a small gripe in my opinion of my own gripes but a gripe none the less). at least there are other ways of getting cool gear and such oh well could be worse.

EDIT: ah thanks atlan, ya didnt read thru the whole thing, been reading the forums for a while and when i do that i tend to get bored and skip over posts (especialy when i already have something to say so i dont forget it). thanks for tellin me how many tokens ya get. doesnt sound to horrible atm if its 5 depending on the average length of a dungeon run. honestly if i were them id up it to 10 tokens or revert to what they said before about one run = 1 piece of gear.

wow, thats news to me, thanks for showing me that O.o now i gotta wonder if u still only get one token per playthru and how long it takes to playthru a dungeon on a good team... if its still only 1 token i now have my first gripe against GW2 (a small gripe in my opinion of my own gripes but a gripe none the less). at least there are other ways of getting cool gear and such oh well could be worse.

EDIT: ah thanks atlan, ya didnt read thru the whole thing, been reading the forums for a while and when i do that i tend to get bored and skip over posts (especialy when i already have something to say so i dont forget it). thanks for tellin me how many tokens ya get. doesnt sound to horrible atm if its 5 depending on the average length of a dungeon run. honestly if i were them id up it to 10 tokens or revert to what they said before about one run = 1 piece of gear.

That was my reaction too, until i read Atlan's post.  One token per run would be ridiculous.

That was my reaction too, until i read Atlan's post.  One token per run would be ridiculous.

heh ya thats why i still considered it a small gripe when i wrote the first half of my post, cuz i didnt think they were that stupid 5 is manageable but honestly i would prefer they went back to what they said they were gonna do. but oh well not a big deal.

heh ya thats why i still considered it a small gripe when i wrote the first half of my post, cuz i didnt think they were that stupid 5 is manageable but honestly i would prefer they went back to what they said they were gonna do. but oh well not a big deal.

Would have been nice if it didn't matter what dungeon you did and all the gear had the same type of token currency, since you get downgraded anyway, not like you will have an easier time doing the lvl 35 dungeon at 45 for example.

Would have been nice if it didn't matter what dungeon you did and all the gear had the same type of token currency, since you get downgraded anyway, not like you will have an easier time doing the lvl 35 dungeon at 45 for example.

ya but it gives a sense of purpose to the dungeons i guess, honestly doesnt matter to me its not like there is any reason not to do certain dungeons unless you personaly just dont enjoy it as much as the others, im gonna do dungeons i dont even want the armor from just cuz i think its fun (same reason i play any game really) honestly best part of this game to me is that i can just run around doing what i enjoy not being tied down by the progression system but rewarded by it for pretty much anything i put some effort into.