Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome Back Campaign!

2»

Comments

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Satimasu

Originally posted by Netspook

No, they want you to subscribe to 2.0. But they have something special for you if you subscribe now.

Don't know why you start with a "no", since you actually confirms they DO want you to subscribe now.

OT:

As Ioeslain said, the timing is terrible, they should have done this a little earlier, or waited till sometimes in June instead. I might check it out, at least that annoying fanboy lurking around here 24/7 can't keep on accusing me for not knowing what's changed if I do (you know who I'm taling about, there's only one).

@ Smithdag:

Garuda, hamlet defense and a few more recipes, that's not enough to turn this trainwrek into a good game, that's just bs. Garuda isn't for low lvls, don't know anything about hamlet, and crafting is this game is the worst system I've ever experienced in any game ever. If that's all you can list to try luring players in, then I doubt anyone will bite. And the current state of the game would NOT have made a "great launch", if that was true, SE would have re-launched it now and not waited for 2.0. Poor attempt, try again, please.

So no matter how much content they actually add, and if all of it was good, it's still not worth playing? Gotcha'. Those weren't the only things added for the patch, and this isn't the only content that they just added in the game since 2010.

All they're trying to do is gain the trust back of those "burned" by the release. They've turned it into something decent. They could have launched with this and have been way better off. Just because they have to basically remake the game to add what they want, doesn't mean the game can't be good until then. They've done a great job with what they had to work with, which isn't much. I still wonder how they imposed all those limitations on themselves and expected to be able to expand this game effectively...

Like I said, they're just trying to build up trust, so that even if you don't sub, you know they're working hard and 2.0 might just be something to look forward to. They've already said they're going to 2.0 whether they have anyone playing or not. You don't even have to keep playing to 2.0 beta to get Legacy Status, only three months, and not even three months straight. 

Really, read what you're replying to, please. I never said the game wasn't worth playing no matter how much content they add, My point was that listing only the 3 added things as Smithdag did, isn't enough to convince anyone that they turned a trainwreck into something that would suddenly be a "great launch" if they re-released. Understand what you read, instead of just drawing silly conclusions from thin air.

I don't think they've done a great job, as you claim. Yoshi and his teams, they are hundreds of people, one of the largest MMO dev teams on the planet, and still one of the slowest. It's insane how little they get done, considering the amount of devs, and how much time they've spent so far.

Btw, I never played the game at release, so my impressions are not from 2010, if anyone happens to believe so. I started playing in August, iirc, and my last hours spent ingame was during Christmas.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I don't think they've done a great job, as you claim. Yoshi and his teams, they are hundreds of people, one of the largest MMO dev teams on the planet, and still one of the slowest. It's insane how little they get done, considering the amount of devs, and how much time they've spent so far.

They are rebuilding the entire game in a completely new engine. Thats a pretty huge undertaking that doesn't happen overnight. Especially when trying to keep people interested in the current game at the same time.

I'm not saying that excuses them for the launch or for outsourcing the majority of the game's development, but expectations should at least be realistic.

With the exception of FFXI, I haven't liked a single Final Fantasy game since SquareSoft's and Enix's high speed collision that left the two conjoined as the monstrous Squeenix blob its become, but I'm personally impressed that they'd go to such lengths. Most companies would've just cut their losses and scrapped the project.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

They are building a new game for 2.0 (new servers, new engine, new graphics, new infrastructure, new story, new zones, etc.).

They are adding new content every 2-3 months to the old/original/current game. 

AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

You should give credit where credit is due.  I canceled SWTOR to keep playing FFXIV.  That $10 sub for life is going to be sweet!

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211
    you all can wait while i'm enjoying my Diablo 3 and then Guild Wars 2. good luck. life is short

Originally posted by ZizouX

They are building a new game for 2.0 (new servers, new engine, new graphics, new infrastructure, new story, new zones, etc.).

AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

You should give credit where credit is due.  I canceled SWTOR to keep playing FFXIV.  That $10 sub for life is going to be sweet!

I have to admit, this was my sole motivation for trying the game out again. Cant knock their marketing at least.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Plus Tera is kicking so much ass at this point I now have zero interest in trying this game again. 

Maybe next year ff14 but until then good luck.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

No, they want you to subscribe to 2.0. But they have something special for you if you subscribe now.

Don't know why you start with a "no", since you actually confirms they DO want you to subscribe now.

OT:

As Ioeslain said, the timing is terrible, they should have done this a little earlier, or waited till sometimes in June instead. I might check it out, at least that annoying fanboy lurking around here 24/7 can't keep on accusing me for not knowing what's changed if I do (you know who I'm taling about, there's only one).

@ Smithdag:

Garuda, hamlet defense and a few more recipes, that's not enough to turn this trainwrek into a good game, that's just bs. Garuda isn't for low lvls, don't know anything about hamlet, and crafting is this game is the worst system I've ever experienced in any game ever. If that's all you can list to try luring players in, then I doubt anyone will bite. And the current state of the game would NOT have made a "great launch", if that was true, SE would have re-launched it now and not waited for 2.0. Poor attempt, try again, please.

So no matter how much content they actually add, and if all of it was good, it's still not worth playing? Gotcha'. Those weren't the only things added for the patch, and this isn't the only content that they just added in the game since 2010.

All they're trying to do is gain the trust back of those "burned" by the release. They've turned it into something decent. They could have launched with this and have been way better off. Just because they have to basically remake the game to add what they want, doesn't mean the game can't be good until then. They've done a great job with what they had to work with, which isn't much. I still wonder how they imposed all those limitations on themselves and expected to be able to expand this game effectively...

Like I said, they're just trying to build up trust, so that even if you don't sub, you know they're working hard and 2.0 might just be something to look forward to. They've already said they're going to 2.0 whether they have anyone playing or not. You don't even have to keep playing to 2.0 beta to get Legacy Status, only three months, and not even three months straight. 

Really, read what you're replying to, please. I never said the game wasn't worth playing no matter how much content they add, My point was that listing only the 3 added things as Smithdag did, isn't enough to convince anyone that they turned a trainwreck into something that would suddenly be a "great launch" if they re-released. Understand what you read, instead of just drawing silly conclusions from thin air.

Btw, I never played the game at release, so my impressions are not from 2010, if anyone happens to believe so. I started playing in August, iirc, and my last hours spent ingame was during Christmas.

I could just say the same thing back to you. You're drawing silly conclusions.

So yeah, the latter half of 2011 was when they were going big into changing the mechanics. It doesn't help that the code is so badly written, it takes them a super long time to get anything done. That's why it was so slow going. That's why they're making 2.0. Patch 1.22 came out a month after 1.21. Plus, they're rebuilding the game from scratch in less than 2 years. So keeping 1.0 active with content and creating quality of life improvement, some of which will be completely gone in 2.0, making it almost seem like a waste, and remaking the game at the same time is pretty impressive. Can hate the game all you want, but you can't hate that the new people behind it have been working their butt off. Yoshida has been completely open and explaining why he can't do something now, or why it takes so long, or what he plans to do about it. He's almost getting in trouble all the time for revealing too much and wanting to show us everything. Nothing but props to them.

Look Netspook, I've got nothing against you, or anyone else that doesn't like the game for whatever reason. I'd be glad if any of you decided to give it another shot during the free week for 1.0 or free month for 2.0. I just think this new team deserves a shot. They're finally getting things where they want them and want to show everyone the work they've put in. This new team hasn't wronged us like the last one, and I think they are still the getting the anger directed at the old team.

E3 is in a month. We'll see how far they've come with 2.0.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by ghostinfinit

I might take a peek after the 2.0 patch if they make the same offer.  I still feel sick to my stomach when I see my FFXIV collector's edition at the bottom of my closet.

I'm right there with you.  I never even installed my CE copy, I was waiting for a major fix patch that might resolve some issues I saw during beta, then I kept waiting as I read a lot of negative feedback, and kept waiting...

Ever since I read about 2.0 a while back, I've been keeping my fingers crossed that I can finally install the game and hopefully enjoy my experience.

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

I give you less than a month before you are singing my tune. kiddo.

after all you are stating you are a newbie "My big problem right now is trying to find a linkshell that will accept newbies."

I was playing until they decided to charge money for something incomplete, I was there since day one....

I speak from an experiance that you foolish disregaurd as a childish rant... after all you only been playing for a short while, and think you know something I do not...

Just being real.

Originally posted by FleshMask

after all you are stating you are a newbie "My big problem right now is trying to find a linkshell that will accept newbies."

I was playing until they decided to charge money for something incomplete, I was there since day one....

I speak from an experiance that you foolish disregaurd as a childish rant... after all you only been playing for a short while, and think you know something I do not...

Just being real.

I know what I like...you do not. People can, and do like things that you dont like.

Thats about as real as it gets.

I played during the beta and decided against subscribing once it released because I didn't like the game in the state it was in at the time. I'm coming back now and enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I did then. I call myself "new" because I'm just starting out again and there's a lot of the game I haven't experienced yet, and a lot of changes it's undergone since beta. So yeah, as long as you continue to make blind assumptions about my personal preferences, I'll continue to disregard them as childish rantings.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Just being real.

Because it's coming off exactly as a childish rant. Feel free to disagree with things like they started charging too early, but you're just going way out there.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• KorgborgKorgborg Member UncommonPosts: 116

I like SE. I really love xi and think it rocks.

I wanted to play xiv, followed threads, read posts by "fanbois" and "haters" alike.

I guess the official score of 5.1 here, user rating of 6.1 here, the metacritic score of 49/100, the user score there of 3.7 and boatload of recent, decidedly negative comments and posts are just not accurate. I mean, they just don't get it, do they?

They all just don't understand how good xiv is going to be, right?

Everyone who currently likes and defends xiv is just being objective, not a fanboi, and anyone who doesn't is a biased hater?

Everyone who claims to be having fun in xiv isn't in denial right? They're not fanbois correct?

Most of the posts I've read here and on quite a few other sites seem to be from loyal ff and se fans, current players of xi and objective reviewers. A lot of them claim to have played beta, purchased the ce etc. A lot of the posts are from people who have paid and played.

A lot of the comments begin with things like "I wanted to like xiv but" and "I was looking forward to 14".

Most of what I've read is a wall of criticism punctuated by the occasional impassioned defense.

Everyone who refers to someone as a hater quite justifiably deserves to be called a fanboi.    Yes you do.

The stallwart defense of xiv is admirable, I guess. The dismissive attitude of some is amusing, or annoying, depending on your perspective.

FFXIV may get fixed, 2.0 may rock, but from what I've found around the web it is currently, based on reviews and comments, still bad. Pretty, but bad.

Not everyone who defends xiv acts like a fanboi. Seems quite a few do however.

Unless some of you actually want to sound like a blindly loyal fanboi stop dismissing criticism and start embracing it. At least try to seem objective.

Also, perhaps not in this thread, for the love of god stop telling people who criticize your beloved game to "go back to WoW".

lmao!

If you cut it too short you can always nail a piece on the end.

If you cut it too long then what the hell are you gonna do?

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Just being real.

Because it's coming off exactly as a childish rant. Feel free to disagree with things like they started charging too early, but you're just going way out there.

Those two have been on this board since launch (despite Fleshmask claiming he once was "just like you", and netspook claiming that he only started last August) trashing this game at every step (mostly with the same arguments).  Now whether that is childish or not, it does no use arguing with them.  They have both commited so heavily to this game being the epitome of evil and stealing their innocence that no one is going to convince them it has changed.

It's just what they do.  It's what they've always done, and it is what they always will continue to do. 

Originally posted by Korgborg

Also, perhaps not in this thread, for the love of god stop telling people who criticize your beloved game to "go back to WoW".

lmao!

Usually you only hear people tell someone to "go back to WoW" when people criticize everything that isn't WoW-like about a game.

"This game doesn't have instances!...fail!"

"Where's the LFG and LFR functions?...fail"

"There are no PVP factions?...fail"

"Where are the big shoulders and capes? I want to look badass!...fail" (Believe it or not I've actually heard this complaint about some other games. I always thought the armor in WoW was ridiculous and gaudy-looking, but to each his own.)

As for the rest of your post that I conveniently snipped for the sake of length, you seem to have this idea that EVERYONE is either a fanboy or a hater; that there is no inbetween. Thats a very naive way to view things.

I, for example, have disliked every single-player Final Fantasy game since FF7, and even 7 I always thought that while it was a good game, it was celebrated far beyond what it deserved..

I did happen to play FFXIV during beta...mind you this means for free...and I still felt ripped off. I played for about a week last December just before they went P2P because it was cheap and I'd kept hearing how improved it was over beta. I still didn't like it then either, though it was admittedly much more stable than I remembered it.

Just recently I tried it again because of this Legacy Campaign they're doing. I knew I wanted to see the differences 2.0 made, so I decided to take the gamble and subscribe for 90 days to lock in the $10 sub price. Except it turns out that this time, the changes that they've made make the game much more enjoyable than it used to be. Crafting is not as ridiculous as it used to be; the game is even more stable than it was in December as well.

I still think its a flawed game. There are still aspects of it that I dislike. However I've never played a "perfect" MMO, and in it's current state, I'm enjoying FFXIV.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

OT:

@ Smithdag:

You seem to be going out of your way to find reasons to bash on the game.

How much of the current state of the game are you actually aware of, as in you've actually taken the time to look into it and/or have actually logged in and played through?  Is your opinion at least an informed one, or are you just grasping at straws and making it up as you go along?

For starters, Garuda and Hamlets are only a couple of the more recent additions they've made. They've been making continuous updates over the past many months, adding more and more content with each major update, as well as minor updates. I'm sure you knew this, though.

Crafting has been adjusted/sped up. The interface has been significantly improved with various aspects of it that used to require several mouse clicks requiring maybe 1 or 2 now. World interaction has been greatly improved. Things are accomplished with mouse clicks now, instead of having to open the main menu and select an option from there. Hell you can even stand up just by pressing 'w' to move now.

They've been continuously adding new storyline missions, beastman strongholds, the job system, new armors, new dungeons/raids and myriad other content. Their patch notes have been pages long with updates, changes and improvements to the game.

As for the "ready for re-launch" thing in your last paragraph, you're kinda out in the weeds on this issue.

When they said the game was in a "launch ready" state, they mean it has enough content and basic features of a MMO in place to warrant a launch-ready title, worthy of a sub fee. If you look at the list of everything that's in the game - not just what they've added most recently - and compare it to a typical launch title, I think you'll find they're not far off the mark in that assessment. I think a brand-new player starting FFXIV today would find a game that is the case. There's a lot to do in the game now, more than enough to keep someone busy for a while. There's a lot more depth there than I think a lot of people realize. I say that because I'm finding myself surprised on a pretty regular basis by things in the game I didn't even know existed or had been created or added to it. 'course, you can only experience those things by playing the game, not by reading forum threads and trying to fill in the blanks yourself with assumptions and uninformed opinions.

The "ready for subscriptions" bit relates only to the game in its current incarnation. It has nothing to do with the relaunch, or anything surrounding it.

The re-launch is happening because the current game is based on a graphics engine that is not well-suited to a MMO and, so, is introducing a lot of issues and limitations. It's built on a server infrastructure that is not well designed or optimized and so is limiting many aspects of the game that rely heavily on performance from the servers. It's based on a world design approach that, while allowing for massive areas, is very limiting in terms of how much variety they can introduce due to memory constraints and so on. The game is far too resource hungry for a MMO that's designed to support and allow crisp and responsive interaction between hundreds or thousands of players. All of these things in combination are a major limiting factor on how far they can take the current game, or how much improvement can really be done to it.

While they have done quite a lot with improving FFXIV in its current form, the improvements really are putting band-aids on the symptoms, but not fixing the core problems.

This is why 2.0 and a relaunch is happening.

They have created (I believe it's in internal testing now) an entirely new server architecture for the game, they have integrated or are integrating a completely new graphics engine, more suited to a MMO environment, they've been completely revamping the world and redesigning the zones from scratch (except for cities which are getting tweaks and improvements, but not complete overhauls), in order to allow for more variety, less repetition and a more dynamic world where they can make dynamic zone-wide changes without having to worry about the effect on neighboring areas, etc. And so on.

In order to bring it all together, they have been implementing a storyline that leads up to a major catastrophe that's going to befall Eorzea, destroying a lot of it and reshaping it into the world we'll see with the 2.0 release. Some content that's in-game now will be unavailable in 2.0 - such as the 7th Umbral Era storyline.

That is why it's not "relaunching now". Because so much of the game's infrastructure has to be changed in order for them to address the problem, and not just the symptoms.

If you haven't already, I suggest reading the info on this page, and looking through the PDFs they attached at the bottom. Click Here. If nothing else, it'll give you more insight and make you better informed of what's going on and why.

In a nutshell, the subscriptions exist because SE believes there's enough playable content and gameplay features to warrant one. 2.0 is happening because there's only so far SE can take those improvements on the current engine and infrastructure.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

$10 for a lifetime sub?

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

$10 for a lifetime sub?

No a $10 subscription fee (discounted) which is garunteed for life.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Murugan

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

$10 for a lifetime sub?

No a $10 subscription fee (discounted) which is garunteed for life.

Ahh, thanks.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Has anyone using welcome back managed to log in to their account yet? the character select screen still says i need to reactive my character...

It says 10th 3:00 GMT no idea if that means 3am or 3pm

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Murugan

Just being real.

Those two have been on this board since launch (despite Fleshmask claiming he once was "just like you", and netspook claiming that he only started last August) trashing this game at every step (mostly with the same arguments).  Now whether that is childish or not, it does no use arguing with them.  They have both commited so heavily to this game being the epitome of evil and stealing their innocence that no one is going to convince them it has changed.

It's just what they do.  It's what they've always done, and it is what they always will continue to do. 

I did start playing in August, but I have been here since launch, commenting on reviews and asking questions. If you're trying to claim that I've been bashing it constantly since launch, then you are a liar.

The difference between me/Flesh and you/Sati, is that me/Flesh we are actually able to read praise of the game (though it's almost exclusively writeen by you two),  without attacking EVERY SINGLE POST. Which can hardly be said about you two versus criticism. EVERYONE who frequently browse this forum knows this already, no doubt - new folks: just look around and you'll see for yourself.

No use arguing with us? Then why the hell do you attack just about every post I've written here? If you really meant there's no point in arguing, you would have ignored our posts, but the fanboy in you is not capable of that. Seeing our names, well at least mine, seems to trigger something in you, like someone waving a red cloth in front of a bull. And yes, I do admit, I've really had to work hard restraining myself, because trollbaiting you is easier than stealing candy from a kid.

According to you two, and especially you, Murugan, it seems no one on the entire planet is enough qualified to post valid criticism about the game. It's always the same crap about not knowing what they're talking about, didn't play long enough, blah blah blah. It's sad, but what's worse, is that you (Murugan) have intentionally lied more than once, trying to make your points/opinions more valid than others' (I have pointed this out earlier), therefore it's not possible at all to take you serious in any way.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

I want to play the game that's in the opening movie... where is that game?

Originally posted by tollbooth

2.0 with any luck, sad to see the leave system is has bad as ever, and the combat is the worst of any game I've ever played. Never going to get to lvl 20 at this rate, doesnt help that I keep crashing to desktop, which fails the leave. My GPU hates this stupid engine, and my brain hates the targeting and UI.

Going to leave this game till the re-launch, very disapointed, but I understand Yoshida and Co could only improve so much of Tanaka's mess.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by zevni78
    Originally posted by tollbooth

2.0 with any luck, sad to see the leave system is has bad as ever, and the combat is the worst of any game I've ever played. Never going to get to lvl 20 at this rate, doesnt help that I keep crashing to desktop, which fails the leave. My GPU hates this stupid engine, and my brain hates the targeting and UI.

Going to leave this game till the re-launch, very disapointed, but I understand Yoshida and Co could only improve so much of Tanaka's mess.

Probably too late now, but switching from fullscreen to windowed mode takes care of the vast majority of hard crashes. It's not your GPU in particular, it's just lousy coding. 

Thanks, I tried that and every other possible solution, I have never seen such bad conflicts with my GPU, though TSW recently has some issues, I hope its just teething troubles. I was so prepared to sub for a few months, but I could not take the crashes, I guess I will never see the one time build up to 2.0.