Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Dunking on Nooblords in Tyria

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We spent some time doing PvP during the recent Guild Wars 2 beta weekend event and today we're sharing our report on the experience.

When I first started playing MMOs, I was a full-blown roleplayer, with no real interest in PvP. However, over time I really began to warm up to the idea of besting other players in combat instead of the typically boring PvE AI. Unfortunately, my search for truly fun PvP has been a frustrating one over the years, that is until I played Guild Wars 2 last weekend.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Guild Wars 2: Dunking on Nooblords in Tyria.

Comments

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by cutter666

WvWvW was awesome.

Fuck Yea!

BOOYAKA!

• VeshiVeshi Member UncommonPosts: 32
    In most mmo's i hardly ever PvP, just never interested me. When i saw WvW on youtube i was interested. I then thought id try it at lvl 3 on the BWE just to try it out, 9 HOURS later i was like WTF i just PvPed for 9 hours, i went in for more.....

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Veshi

In most mmo's i hardly ever PvP, just never interested me. When i saw WvW on youtube i was interested. I then thought id try it at lvl 3 on the BWE just to try it out, 9 HOURS later i was like WTF i just PvPed for 9 hours, i went in for more.....

Haha, that is awesome :)

Nice video btw, OP.

• Draith77Draith77 Member Posts: 14
    Awesome !!!  :D
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

nice write up. My experience in the WvW pvp was amazing, jump to instant lvl80- started to play around in mists area getting familiar with new abilities.

then enterd the pvp arena. and  i was amazed-no lag, the detail at what you can climb and do in combat in areas felt like warhammer online terrain.

felt great and fresh!- there was so much to cover on that weekend- i can see myself inbeded in this game at its released =easy!

I didnt really have any issue no other than typical Beta issues that a hotfix couldnt handle.

Anet/GW2 has thought this out so well.

• galdosgaldos Member Posts: 18
    When is the next beta weekend? gota start cancelling any apointments. 
  • NatarayaNataraya Member Posts: 78

Liked when talked about WvW, if zerg battles looked like real fights just imagine when ppl start to master their characters and set up tactics.

If Beta was fun just imagine...

Kudos to GW2

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by someforumguy

Haha, that is awesome :)

Nice video btw, OP.

Video wasn't mine, just to be  clear. Just a video off YouTube I thought fit well. :)

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I hadn't pondered the fact that zerg battles that I encountered in wvw weren't like other zerg battles in other MMOs. Like Mike states, never  really had a stare off with ranged poking at each other(in the case of Aion a tank pulling a poor soul over to the mob). For some reason, I think the fact that health in GW2 is a lot more than usual, people just go in and fight. And it usually ends up in small skirmishes rather than full on mob fight.

Arena based pvp is going to be epic! I had a blast with it and got better as the matches passed. It was fun to learn more and more about other rpofessions during pvp and I expect a lot of strategy when it comes to capturing points.

Originally posted by Kuppa

I hadn't pondered the fact that zerg battles that I encountered in wvw weren't like other zerg battles in other MMOs. Like Mike states, never  really had a stare off with ranged poking at each other(in the case of Aion a tank pulling a poor soul over to the mob). For some reason, I think the fact that health in GW2 is a lot more than usual, people just go in and fight. And it usually ends up in small skirmishes rather than full on mob fight.

Arena based pvp is going to be epic! I had a blast with it and got better as the matches passed. It was fun to learn more and more about other rpofessions during pvp and I expect a lot of strategy when it comes to capturing points.

The video embedded in the article kind of perfectly illustrates this phenomenon, too. It was one of the more refreshing things I experienced. Just..fights...everywhere! It felt like being part of a Braveheart movie during the scenes after the main armies clash. The camera cuts to all these smaller battles between the masses of soldiers within the furball. It's what large-scale battles should be and I'm really itching to get back in!

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    It was very fun, the most fun PVP experience I have had since EvE. Which is a big complement. I think they should make siege gear more expensive ( to buy the blueprints). However world vs world kept me glued to my seat the entire weekend I at one point debated going out to eat but ordered in instead (we had just gotten center big keep and there was no way I was leaving it)

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

I think my most genuine complaint is there is SO MUCH TO DO IN THIS DAMN GAME!  ; P

I spent all of my weekend basically addicted to sPvP. I never even got to try WvW and my highest character was level 7. How am I supposed to maintain some semblence of a life with all of these options! Curse you Anet!

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977
    A "full-blown" roleplayer embraces PvP.  A roleplayer who does not like PvP is an incomplete roleplayer.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

Originally posted by katriell

A "full-blown" roleplayer embraces PvP.  A roleplayer who does not like PvP is an incomplete roleplayer.

I completely agree. :P

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

Haha I'm just like you.  I didn't try pvp until the last 6 hours of the beta and stayed in WvW for the whole time.  It was exhilerating.  I was so upset when there was only an hour left I was thinking "how the hell did time pass by so quickly".  While watching the video is was funny to notice how low of health the ranger had and the same for the ele in the image.  It was awesome playing my necro and having 28k health when boosted to 80 in WvW.  I never felt so powerful as a caster before.  I love this shit.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Very nice write up MikeB. Wish I could've played sunday to do some WvW w/ you guys. You missed some epic battles on saturday, though!

I definitely agree w/ what you said about zergs, and I don't think enough people realize this. In combat I was constantly switching between ranged & melee. Ranged seemed to do better in stand-off situations where siege equipment was involved, whereas melee tend to do much better in skirmishes, or leading the charge. Most of the fights I'd switch to melee w/ a warhorn and just rush the enemy, and my team would follow. What nearly always happened was the enemy would break up into smaller groups, and we'd either do the same, or just flat out destroy them. If I found myself taking too much damage; a few traps, a heal & an evade and I was back to safety. Definitely really fun times, and I can't wait to do some more WvW action.

My only real gripes with it (aside from chat, and the lack of large war-parties), were that it didn't seem to do much to balance out server populations. Our server was packed, as was one of our enemies. Poor blue had like 3-4 squads of people max and just got squandered.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

It has been a theme of mine for years now.  And I am grateful for your honesty in admitting it.  What do MMORPG ( WoW ) haters want in their MMORPGs?  More FPS mechanics.  DAoC had /stick, /follow and /face plus skill rotations, this and Rv3 is what made DAoC's PvP.

GW2's PvP is for the Dodgers.  When only Dodgers PvP, the fun of PvP will evaporate.  Dodge will either be nerfed or eliminated from the game.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I really love the PvP in this game, it actually makes me want to do it instead of just stick to PvE.  I knew it before I even played, ANet is onto something.
  • DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Konfess

It has been a theme of mine for years now.  And I am grateful for your honesty in admitting it.  What do MMORPG ( WoW ) haters want in their MMORPGs?  More FPS mechanics.  DAoC had /stick, /follow and /face plus skill rotations, this and Rv3 is what made DAoC's PvP.

GW2's PvP is for the Dodgers.  When only Dodgers PvP, the fun of PvP will evaporate.  Dodge will either be nerfed or eliminated from the game.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

Dodge is a limited use resource that charges over time. It has to be used situationally.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• FrostillicusFrostillicus Member Posts: 16

"but I do have a ton of experience with Mythic’s not-as-well received followup, Warhammer Online. I didn’t spend as much time with WvW as I’d have liked to during the beta event, but it’s pretty easy to tell that ArenaNet is definitely on the right track when compared to my experiences in WAR."

This article is a bit of a fanboy rant really.

I played in the beta weekend, I like the game and am happy I pre-purchased, but as a WAR player, it was a bit of a let down (and I WvW'd all three days for a total of 10+ hours).  Zerg on Zerg action was very present and felt identical to WAR Zerg on Zerg.  Perhaps your definition of Zerg is different than mine, I would say it has to be 20 players per side at least.  Melee DPS were getting focus fired like crazy (I was playing Engineer, I was the one doing the blowing up).  I know the fanboi brigade will pipe in here with "well everyone can do ranged stupid!" but if you try out lots of classes like I did, it's clear that some are much much better ranged/AOE characters than others.  The other flame I'm sure to get is "well don't fight in the Zerg then, go off and do other things stupid".  I get it and I did that, just like I did it in WAR. I'm only writing this because when I see the author write "I played WAR, and I didn't like it because of Zerg on Zerg, but in GW2 even Zerg on Zerg is awesome!", well, I won't go far as to call BS, but there's definitely some rose tinted glasses going on here.

The structured PVP maps were decent, but no better than WAR, plus from what I can tell, the only game mode is Conquest, where WAR had more variations (CTF and "hold the artifact" at least).

Yes there are many things GW2 does great, and I know it will be a better game than WAR, but that's only because I also like PVE.  I was hoping for a "better than WAR" pvp experience, and what I got was about the same, minor improvements at best from a pure gameplay perspective.  My biggest complaint with WAR was server imbalance, it was always 1 side having way more people than the other, and this seems like it won't be a problem in GW2, so that's great.

This post is really for WAR vets purely intrested if PVP who are wondering if this game will be for them.  If you were happy with WAR and want a slightly better version, this should do the trick.  If you got bored of WAR, I'm not sure you won't quickly get bored of GW2.

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

Totally agree that they are on the right track.  Was the most fun ive had since DAoC days, and they are the most memorable I have ever had in any MMO!

Ready for the release and the new races to be playable for next beta!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    nice post- I myself who started with eveonline- went to wow- then war- back to wow- now back at war and woh maintaining a huge fan of WAR.....GW2 pvp beta  felt amazing!!!! ill be calling GW2 WvW my home for while!!!!

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by bestever

I don't really care about your post or your feelings on GW2 because most of us love it feel it was done right and NOT once did I feel like I was playing WAR. The zerg on zerg felt like I was on a real battleground and no mmo has ever given me that feeling ever till GW2...

I thought the post by Frostillicus was excellent. For veterans of pvp in many games (including WAR), his thoughts were spot on and was the kind of report I was looking for. Except for his use of the word "fanboy", I don't there was anything he said that was offensive, or should cause someone to become defensive. And you calling him a "WAR fanboy" is ironic, intentional or not.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I was not a big PvP fan either.   But then I played WvWvW in the BWE.  Now I wonder, how did ArenaNet get me addicted to two different things in the same game?????   Nice job Anet!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Some of you are judging WvW way too early.  Everyone only had 3 days to get used to the zones, skills, and overall mechanics of the game, such as dodging and support.  As the weeks go by, most players will start using strategies, team chat, voice chat, and more organization and coordination, with tactics.