Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cooking/fishing/mining/crafting MMO

veteranuveteranu Member Posts: 18

Hey fellas!

I have this friend that enjoys cooking, fishing, mining and crafting

If you folks could suggest me a MMO that has a lot of foods to make, extensive fishing...

He's that kind of guy that likes diversity. He doesn't just want 1 type of fish and 1 type of sandwich, ah.. you get it..

Also being able to have different tools it's a plus. Like one pickaxe is better than the other. With one you can mine gold and with the other you can mine stone.

I just tried to explain you what he's mostly interested in.

Awaiting your suggestions, thanks!

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I would say Lotro hands down. It not only has all of that, but they do it better than any other current MMO...IMHO of course.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

EQ2

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • LiancaLianca Member Posts: 10

It's a bit different from what your friend is possibly after, but http://www.achaea.com/ is well woth checking out. It has cooking, tailoring, fishing in lakes and deep sea, jewellery making, forging are all on offer. It is a MUD, meaning no spiffy graphics, but the depth of the text world really makes it worth plugging!

Join us, some of us never leave.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by Elsabolts

EQ2

Agree, it has everything you need and I should know as I maxed all tradeskills :)

• veteranuveteranu Member Posts: 18

Thanks, that was quick :)

It's already late here, so I'll just send him the link to this forum topic in the morning..

Keep 'em coming!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Salem: The Crafting MMO

it is currently closed beta 

it also has permadeath.

Put it this way, if you want leather you need to kill a deer, skin it, and then tan the leather and dry it on a wooden rack. Assuming you have built up the skills to do all that.

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Well if he can put up with terrible graphics, Wurm online would be worth checking out. But it ain't pretty, and its not easy either.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278
    Runescape ftw i played that game for years still have my original account when it had weak graphics now its better and f2p lol

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by veteranu

Hey fellas!
    I have this friend that enjoys cooking, fishing, mining and crafting
    If you folks could suggest me a MMO that has a lot of foods to make, extensive fishing...
    He's that kind of guy that likes diversity. He doesn't just want 1 type of fish and 1 type of sandwich, ah.. you get it..
    Also being able to have different tools it's a plus. Like one pickaxe is better than the other. With one you can mine gold and with the other you can mine stone.
    I just tried to explain you what he's mostly interested in.
    Awaiting your suggestions, thanks!

Ranking according to what a crafters dream game would be (my opinion)

1.Salem (from what iv read)

2.Darkfall

3.Eq 2

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

EQ2 and LotRO are your standard mostly combat theme park games with a bit of crafting on the side.  If that's all your friend wants, that's fine, but that would be a strange first post if that's what he's after.

Some of the other games mentioned might be more suitable.  I'd like to add two:

A Tale in the Desert has the best crafting system of any game ever made.  And there isn't a close second.  Or even a somewhat distant second.  It probably has more variety in its crafting system than all of the other games that will appear on this thread added together.

The way cooking in ATITD works is that you put various foods into a cookpot, cook it, and see what stats you get.  The stats depend on what ingredients you use and how much of each, but it's very complicated.

The way mining works is that you can place a mine just about anywhere in the game world and see what you get.  Usually it will just be dirt, but you can test to see what a mine will be before you place it.  Once you place a mine, it's there--and yours--forever, or at least until the game resets.  The more you pull from a given mine, the more expensive it gets to keep digging it deeper.

As for fishing, there are something like 10 or 11 different kinds of fish.  What you catch depends on where you fish and the time of day.  That's in-game time of day, with one game day about 9 hours of real-life time.

But there is a ton of other crafting stuff, too, not just cooking, fishing, and mining.  And a lot of the other stuff is a lot more complicated than fishing and mining.

-----

I'll also mention Uncharted Waters Online.  Cooking is of the "get a recipe, gather materials, click a button" variety.  It does manage to be more complicated than most games that do that, because the foods that you need come from such a wide variety of sources, and sometimes you have to craft one trade good into another a few times to get what you're after.

As for fishing, there are several dozen different types of fish in the game.  What you catch depends on where you fish and your fishing level, and also some randomness for a given cast.  Some fish are worth more than others, but you can use the storage skill to convert most (all?) of them into a generic "fish" trade good.

There isn't an explicit "mining" skill.  However, the game does have "collection", "procurement", and "search" skills.  There are something like 100 or 140 landing points in the game, each of which has four clickable objects spread out in it.  If you stand near one and use collection, procurement, or search, you'll usually gather some trade goods.  What you get and how much of it depends on which of the three skills you use (they find different types of items), your rank in the skill (higher rank gets more of better goods), which object you're near, and some luck.  Procurement is also used to gather water when it's raining so that your sailors can have something to drink.  Search can also find nifty gear, or items that other players dropped.

• veteranuveteranu Member Posts: 18

Thanks for all the games you guys mentioned. I already played with him some EQ2 and i think he likes it.

I never tried LOTRO but I am leaning towards downloading and playing it a bit with him. He kind of likes LOTR universe, so he might enjoy this after getting bored of EQ2.

Also, i appreciate your in-depth answer Quizzical. I heard interesting stuff about ATITD, but never tried it out. Maybe it's time i try something like that, just for the sake of it, i might like it :))

Oh, and btw.. Do you know if you can literally walk on the deck of the ship in games such as Uncharted Waters, Pirates of the Burning Sea etc.. games with sailing/naval battle...

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Oh, and btw.. Do you know if you can literally walk on the deck of the ship in games such as Uncharted Waters, Pirates of the Burning Sea etc.. games with sailing/naval battle...

In PotBS, yes when one ship boards the other.  In UWO, not yet, but you will after a future patch that is already available in Japan but not yet translated into English.

PotBS isn't that similar to UWO, however.  PotBS is your standard theme park game where you go to a quest hub, take a bunch of quests, do them all, go to the next quest hub, and repeat.  UWO is a sandbox game and very open-ended, with a much greater emphasis on crafting, trading, and going out and discovering the world.  In PotBS, as in LotRO or EQ2, you're going to spend most of your time in combat, preparing for combat, traveling to combat, crafting stuff to get better at combat, or otherwise doing something having to do with combat.  In contrast, while UWO has combat, it's a relatively small portion of the game.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    If cooking isn't a must have I'd also suggest Vanguard. Crafting is very involved and could easily take up all of your free time.
  • StekkyStekky Member Posts: 36

Check out Mortal Online's crafting, fishing, cooking.   

One of the more unique systems out there.   

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Wouldn't try MO if you want a working game.

None of the things listed actually work in that game 18 months after launch, and given that the game is made by some UE modders with no design or programming experience they never will.

It is without doubt the worse MMO ever made, and I have played most of them since M59 in the mid 1990's.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Wanted to add a +1 to this from quiz

EQ2 and LotRO are your standard mostly combat theme park games with a bit of crafting on the side.  If that's all your friend wants, that's fine, but that would be a strange first post if that's what he's after.

If that's all you're after( crafting as an afterthought to the game) you could pretty much pick an mmo at random and it will have some form of crafting, but you'll likely find them lacking in diversity and meaning.

Other than that I'd add ,maybe try vanguard aswell.  I found it sort of themepark with extra,  but the skillsets(inc crafting) were just too limited for me.

Also take a look at ryzom if it doesn't have to be a static wish list, has one of the best crafting systems around.

I'll also add planeshift to the list, not sure if it has fishing though.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Ryzom has great crafting/harvesting, but no fishing unfortunately......It seems most games have 3 of the 4 but not great for all 4...Those who mentioned LoTRO, it has the other 3 but crafting has little meaning nowadays and fishing was put in later as an afterthought.....As much as I hate to say it, WoW probably fills the bill for all of them as well as any.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Thanks for all the games you guys mentioned. I already played with him some EQ2 and i think he likes it.

I never tried LOTRO but I am leaning towards downloading and playing it a bit with him. He kind of likes LOTR universe, so he might enjoy this after getting bored of EQ2.

Also, i appreciate your in-depth answer Quizzical. I heard interesting stuff about ATITD, but never tried it out. Maybe it's time i try something like that, just for the sake of it, i might like it :))

Not in PotBS but I hear it's comming to UWO... When I don't know. The only game I know of that has this currently is Darkfall Online. ArcheAge will have this as well but that is 2013 at least before we will see a NA release(Still in Closed Beta in Korea atm).

As for everything else you mentioned I would second the recommendations for LOTRO, EQ 2 and ATITD. I would also recommend Aion as well as it has some really good crafting although the Fishing aspect is kinda weak. Fishing in Aion is just part of the 'Collection' skill.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }