Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Is there really no Customisation of Classes?

2»

Comments

  • rexzshadowrexzshadow stockton, CAPosts: 1,428Member

    Originally posted by DamonVile

    So in MMOs with all the 100s of choices, what still happens anyway ?.... cookie cutter builds.

     

    Raiding and PvP all come down to Min maxing and everyone ends up with the same builds and same equipment. People leveling end up following a guide that all have the same min/maxed builds. It doesn't really matter if you have a choice or not when people all pick the same thing.

     

    In the words of Henry Ford...you can have any color of car you want, as long as it's black.

    I think thats whats great about Tera's glyph system, its all depends on how you play. There are very few glyph that you should get no matter what, everything else is really up to you. Like for lancer, i use leash a lot so i spend glyph points in to leash range, cd. But if other barely use it than they spend it else where. If you feel you mp drains too fast, you can glyph in mp reduction, or if you want to kill faster you glyph in dmg increase. None of them is the right or best build, all fit different play style.


    Originally posted by Channce

    I hope the l33t, gankers, duelists, dont touch my fight, i play an mmo so i can solo, arena match PvPers have found a home here and stay outta the other games.

    Play on PvE server o.o? pretty sure you guys get battlegrounds too.


    Originally posted by Kyleran

    Originally posted by FrostWyrm

    Originally posted by Fendel84M

    Its got more customization than other Action MMOs that are out there (they usually just have you pick a specific character).

    And its fun as hell!!

    You're talking about gender locking? It seems to be gaining popularity in Korean games, but I'm glad they didn't go with that model because I refuse to play any game that locks your gender to your class.

    Dragon Nest might've been an interesting game, but I wont play it because of gender locking. TERA on the other hand, I can still look forward to trying this game out. image

    You're OK with gender locking by race right?  Because a few of the races are either male only or female only.

     

    Well it makes sense to a certain degree i think last thing we need is a male elin and female poporri. Although back in ealier design they were techniclly the female/male of the same race. And no female barrake please o.-
  • TeekayTeekay londonPosts: 94Member

    Originally posted by Laughing-man

    A priest that uses a bow is no longer a priest.

    There is literally no game that has priests with bows...

    the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.

    Your expectations were waaay off base.

    There is A LOT of customization in this game when it comes to your characters play style, yet you must always use the weapon that makes sense with your class, and though everything can do damage, yes priests and mystics will always be expected to focus on healing.

     

     

     You may as well have said 'There is literally no game that has priests with AK47's'.

    'the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.'

    Daoc,mortal online, darkfall, WoW, Fallen earth....probably many more. Being able to use multiple weapons on your class is not something outlandish. In fact this is probably one of the first games where you get stuck with 1 weapon the entire game ( i tell a lie, i played a ftp chinese mmo where you were based around your weapon selection, can't remember its name, was a pos game though.)

     In daoc when you fought a big boss, and a sexy sword dropped, you knew you would have scouts, rogues, paladins, mercenary and armsman rolling for it. There were only a few class specific weapons. Which was great!

    Even when I'd played tha game for ages, I would still swap my specs around at max level relatively often to see what works better and with what sort of weapon.

    Saying that since everyone will have the same setup in the end of the game justifies not having any weapon choices is pretty lame. Why have any choice! Everone can choose the same class and just run around smacking the shit out of eachother! To hell with variety and choice!, Level the playing field.

     

  • NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Teekay

    Originally posted by Laughing-man

    A priest that uses a bow is no longer a priest.

    There is literally no game that has priests with bows...

    the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.

    Your expectations were waaay off base.

    There is A LOT of customization in this game when it comes to your characters play style, yet you must always use the weapon that makes sense with your class, and though everything can do damage, yes priests and mystics will always be expected to focus on healing.

     

     

     You may as well have said 'There is literally no game that has priests with AK47's'.

    'the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.'

    Daoc,mortal online, darkfall, WoW, Fallen earth....probably many more. Being able to use multiple weapons on your class is not something outlandish. In fact this is probably one of the first games where you get stuck with 1 weapon the entire game ( i tell a lie, i played a ftp chinese mmo where you were based around your weapon selection, can't remember its name, was a pos game though.)

     In daoc when you fought a big boss, and a sexy sword dropped, you knew you would have scouts, rogues, paladins, mercenary and armsman rolling for it. There were only a few class specific weapons. Which was great!

    Even when I'd played tha game for ages, I would still swap my specs around at max level relatively often to see what works better and with what sort of weapon.

    Saying that since everyone will have the same setup in the end of the game justifies not having any weapon choices is pretty lame. Why have any choice! Everone can choose the same class and just run around smacking the shit out of eachother! To hell with variety and choice!, Level the playing field.

     

    Sweet. So you saying I dont have to fight other classes for a weapon drop? I totally didn't think about it like that. Damn this game gets better & better everyday!

  • DyotoOrion2DyotoOrion2 LondonPosts: 9Member

    In reply to Laughing-Man. 

    No sir, my expectations are not way off base.

    To me an RPG is about immersion in a fantasy world. Part of that immersion happens because of the freedom to make my character do what I want it to do. Im afraid, i do not like the old cliche of "Your a Wizard you CANNOT Pick up a sword, no matter what you do!"

    Or, "Your a warrior, you CANNOT read a magic scroll". Thats not RPG to me, thats an Arcade Game, were the choices are made for you.

    Anyways... Dungeons and Dragons Online for example allows you to make a Cleric (Priest basically) who uses a Bow. In fact, there is an entire Prestige Class in DDO, for Priests and Favored Souls (like Battle Priest) to specialise in Bows as the sacred weapon of their faith. But in DDO you can do whatever you like. You can have a Cleric who dual wields scimitars, or uses a Greatsword, or who uses a Crossbow. Its all your choice, and all the choices can be effective depending on how you build your character.

    This is the same for all the 12 Classs in DDO. They can all choose their abilities to a very large degree.

    Character Customisation is one of the things that has kept me going back to DDO for 5 years. And sadly one of the things, I may find very restrictive and boring about TERA, sorry.

    Know Thyself.

  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Portland, ORPosts: 1,136Member
    Yes there is some freedom lost in weapon locking classes. I would also prefer more weapon choices per class but the irony is the game itself allows a lot more freedom (progression, crafting, open world, etc.). If weapon choice is a deal breaker it's a deal breaker however the rest of the game is not as restrictive.

    Just not worth my time anymore.

  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Nowhere, TXPosts: 1,348Member Uncommon

    Others have mentioned it as well and I know it will sound like a cop out but TERA really doesn't need as much customization as older games because of the action combat. What really sets two warriors apart is which one has more skills. So they went with a very straight forward system of choosing which skills, by way of glyphs, will get pumped up and what additional stats will be on your gear by way of the crystals.

    GW2 has a bit more customization but not by too much.. You basically have 3 things rather than 3. First which weapon or weapons will you use. Second, which utilities will you slot, third which trait likes will you pump up. Again, it is not a terribly complicated system but it really doesn't need to be because much of the distinguishing of oneself will come from skill in combat.

    Also, one of the big upsides to having class locked weapons is restricting loot to class so that nobody steals your class's primary weapon because they needed as a secondary.

    All die, so die well.

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,010Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Teekay

    Originally posted by Laughing-man

    A priest that uses a bow is no longer a priest.

    There is literally no game that has priests with bows...

    the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.

    Your expectations were waaay off base.

    There is A LOT of customization in this game when it comes to your characters play style, yet you must always use the weapon that makes sense with your class, and though everything can do damage, yes priests and mystics will always be expected to focus on healing.

     

     

     You may as well have said 'There is literally no game that has priests with AK47's'.

    'the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.'

    Daoc,mortal online, darkfall, WoW, Fallen earth....probably many more. Being able to use multiple weapons on your class is not something outlandish. In fact this is probably one of the first games where you get stuck with 1 weapon the entire game ( i tell a lie, i played a ftp chinese mmo where you were based around your weapon selection, can't remember its name, was a pos game though.)

     In daoc when you fought a big boss, and a sexy sword dropped, you knew you would have scouts, rogues, paladins, mercenary and armsman rolling for it. There were only a few class specific weapons. Which was great!

    Even when I'd played tha game for ages, I would still swap my specs around at max level relatively often to see what works better and with what sort of weapon.

    Saying that since everyone will have the same setup in the end of the game justifies not having any weapon choices is pretty lame. Why have any choice! Everone can choose the same class and just run around smacking the shit out of eachother! To hell with variety and choice!, Level the playing field.

     

    DAOC was unique in so many ways, not the least being the 40+ classes split across 3 realms, not really fair to compare TERA's design to it.

    Also, not every member of those classes would roll on that big sword.  I was a pierce spec'd Infiltrator and I'd never have rolled on a large two hander, or even a sexy one hander. 

    Why? Because your starting stats determined what you were best at, and truth is people in DAOC rarely rolled on anything that wasn't considered "perfect" for their class. (especially pre TOA)

    Granted, in later years they changed this design so much its not even recognizable anymore.

    I understand what your saying, but in most MMO's, you don't really have a choice, there is an optimum weapon/spec for the specific situation and if you don't go along with what is "accepted" you will find yourself an outcast.

     

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,609Member Uncommon

    Why is no one mentioning gear customization?


    Weapons and armor that have +stats on them can be re-identified and those stats will be randomized. You can then lock in a stat you like(ie +% damage done to bosses) and then re-randomize the remaining stats.

    This is a very important aspect of gear/character customization. However, because of the cost to involved it is mainly an endgame thing.


  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member

    Originally posted by DyotoOrion2

    Thanks Xasapis.

    Hmm, this system of Glyphs and Crystals... seems really limited as the only method of customisation.

    It seems like everyones characters are exactly the same :-( Apart from their Race, name and custom appearance :-/

    Seems pretty much the same. Whereas other games give you a choice of 3 trees..usually. Each with a ridiculously vague and seemingly minute variance of percentages. (at least they seem that way to me)....Tera  just lets you pick and choose your little percentages and tweeks in the forms of crystals and glyphs .. Forming your own tree...in a way. Some of these are even loot drops which is cool. I also like the fact that they can be destroyed when you are killed.

  • EvilestTwinEvilestTwin New York, NYPosts: 286Member

    Originally posted by Xiaoki

    Why is no one mentioning gear customization?



    Weapons and armor that have +stats on them can be re-identified and those stats will be randomized. You can then lock in a stat you like(ie +% damage done to bosses) and then re-randomize the remaining stats.

    This is a very important aspect of gear/character customization. However, because of the cost to involved it is mainly an endgame thing.

     

    Because there's really only 1 set of stats you go for when rerolling.   For PvE, it's 8% attack speed and damage against Boss monsters or damage from the back (warrior) or whatever other specific stats are for the other classes that help the most against instance monsters.

    For PvP you switch out the damage against BAMs for damage against players.   Most of the other stats are pretty useless.

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Teekay

     

     

     You may as well have said 'There is literally no game that has priests with AK47's'.

    'the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.'

    Daoc,mortal online, darkfall, WoW, Fallen earth....probably many more. Being able to use multiple weapons on your class is not something outlandish. In fact this is probably one of the first games where you get stuck with 1 weapon the entire game ( i tell a lie, i played a ftp chinese mmo where you were based around your weapon selection, can't remember its name, was a pos game though.)

     In daoc when you fought a big boss, and a sexy sword dropped, you knew you would have scouts, rogues, paladins, mercenary and armsman rolling for it. There were only a few class specific weapons. Which was great!

    Even when I'd played tha game for ages, I would still swap my specs around at max level relatively often to see what works better and with what sort of weapon.

    Saying that since everyone will have the same setup in the end of the game justifies not having any weapon choices is pretty lame. Why have any choice! Everone can choose the same class and just run around smacking the shit out of eachother! To hell with variety and choice!, Level the playing field.

     

    DAoC is a much older game. They seemed to have inclucded more choices back then. Aren't Dark fall and FAllen earth more sandbox games? So more choices there as well. I can't speak for WoW.

    There are many games that don't allow you huge choice or that they allow choice but "one" weapon/armor is better.

    In this game the characters are about their weapon choice and their vocation.

    A lancer wouldn't be much of a lancer without a lance. Berzerkers are axe fighters and slayers use a great sword.

    It's just a different type of game.

    This game is more about combat and a certain type of combat. This is not an Ultima or an EQ type game.

  • FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Tempe, AZPosts: 1,036Member

    Originally posted by Kyleran

    Originally posted by FrostWyrm

    Originally posted by Fendel84M

    Its got more customization than other Action MMOs that are out there (they usually just have you pick a specific character).

    And its fun as hell!!

    You're talking about gender locking? It seems to be gaining popularity in Korean games, but I'm glad they didn't go with that model because I refuse to play any game that locks your gender to your class.

    Dragon Nest might've been an interesting game, but I wont play it because of gender locking. TERA on the other hand, I can still look forward to trying this game out. image

    You're OK with gender locking by race right?  Because a few of the races are either male only or female only.

     

    Eh...I'm not a fan of it, but to a much lesser degree than class-locking. As long as classes aren't locked to those races as well.

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by FrostWyrm

     

    Eh...I'm not a fan of it, but to a much lesser degree than class-locking. As long as classes aren't locked to those races as well.

    nope not at all. Any race can be any class.

  • LashersLashers Brooklyn Center, MNPosts: 186Member

    Originally posted by Teekay

    Originally posted by Laughing-man

    A priest that uses a bow is no longer a priest.

    There is literally no game that has priests with bows...

    the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.

    Your expectations were waaay off base.

    There is A LOT of customization in this game when it comes to your characters play style, yet you must always use the weapon that makes sense with your class, and though everything can do damage, yes priests and mystics will always be expected to focus on healing.

     

     

     You may as well have said 'There is literally no game that has priests with AK47's'.

    'the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.'

    Daoc,mortal online, darkfall, WoW, Fallen earth....probably many more. Being able to use multiple weapons on your class is not something outlandish. In fact this is probably one of the first games where you get stuck with 1 weapon the entire game ( i tell a lie, i played a ftp chinese mmo where you were based around your weapon selection, can't remember its name, was a pos game though.)

     In daoc when you fought a big boss, and a sexy sword dropped, you knew you would have scouts, rogues, paladins, mercenary and armsman rolling for it. There were only a few class specific weapons. Which was great!

    Even when I'd played tha game for ages, I would still swap my specs around at max level relatively often to see what works better and with what sort of weapon.

    Saying that since everyone will have the same setup in the end of the game justifies not having any weapon choices is pretty lame. Why have any choice! Everone can choose the same class and just run around smacking the shit out of eachother! To hell with variety and choice!, Level the playing field.

     

    QFT.  You really can't argue this response, and i think is what the OP was referring to.  What other game with a warrior class, doesn't allow the option for sword and board, 2 hander, bow or crossbow for pulls (DAoC), and armor options.  Leather, plate, cloth if you want.

    I remember DAoC allowing priests (clerics) to use mace, staff or some types of blade.  EQ as well.  I'm not bashing Tera, as I personally really enjoy it.  But I do agree with the fact that not being able to make a weapon choice within your class is not necessarily a positive feature.

  • DyotoOrion2DyotoOrion2 LondonPosts: 9Member

    To Whitewolf. 

    Completely agree with that. Yes that is my concern about TERA. I want to be able to make a character in an RPG my own, I dont like cookie cutter builds. 

    Still in 2 minds about wether i will play TERA or not. We'll see. 

    Know Thyself.

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by whitewolf

     

    QFT.  You really can't argue this response, and i think is what the OP was referring to.  What other game with a warrior class, doesn't allow the option for sword and board, 2 hander, bow or crossbow for pulls (DAoC), and armor options.  Leather, plate, cloth if you want.

    I remember DAoC allowing priests (clerics) to use mace, staff or some types of blade.  EQ as well.  I'm not bashing Tera, as I personally really enjoy it.  But I do agree with the fact that not being able to make a weapon choice within your class is not necessarily a positive feature.

    But agian, those are older games.

    I don't believe in lotro a champiioin or guaridan can use light or medium armor.

    I believe Guardians in Conan just use Heavy.

    Not saying it's good or bad (just a different design) but if you are goign to refer to a contemporary game shouldn't you bring up contemporary examples? Otherwise the discission turns into a "in my day we could..."

    AS a side note, I can use a bow as a Guaridan in lotro but it's really only for pulling. otherwise it's pretty much useless.

     

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.