Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Should SWTOR Go Free-to-Play?

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hey, great idea, go F2P and make money by selling their awesome fashion!

Err...image

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Ethian

TOR won't go F2P because its run by Bioware and EA. Whether it should or not doesn't really matter because its not going to happen unfortionately. You can expect them to try for as much profit as possible.

And I am arguing that going free-to-play in some form (hybrid F2P with subscription option, for example) seems like a no brainer in order to do that. Subscribers could still be given all manner of incentives to continue subscribing (see other games of this type) while also opening up the game to additional streams of revenue from free-to-play users. Even the ones who don't pay are valuable as they help fill the game worlds and make the game feel alive. This would do wonders for some of the lighter servers, for example.

The free trials haven't been massively oversubscribed if you look at the XFire trends, I think the main problem is the lacklustre nature of the beast and the way it separates players from each other by design.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    I never understood the big deal about B2P vs P2P. Other than convenience. Yes ..i don't have to worry about a crdt crd or cancelling a sub..which is cool. However..if having a credit card is not the issue then you're really just paying a few bits a day for a P2P game after your initial purchase. Most sub games are practically B2P anyway.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by Elikal

Err...image

Those are the free models, they will put actual Star Wars-y gear in the cash shop.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I thought Bioware has a plan B for SWTOR to go F2P?
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

I did make a post here, before launch, stating the game was better suited as B2P or F2P.  But considering they had 1.7 million susbcribers at one point I don't think they should switch to B2P/F2P until they get below 400k subscribers.

If they went F2P I'd just go back an level alts (I quit in january just before the sub would kick in).  I'd most likely never use the store, but they would be more likely to get me to buy an expac.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Elikal

Err...image

Those are the free models, they will put actual Star Wars-y gear in the cash shop.

Caramba, you are full of wicked ideas, you know! XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• WearacupWearacup Member Posts: 161

Anyway, this game should be pay to play (P2P), as in they pay us to play. SWTOR is the single worst AAA game of all time IMO.

[Mod Edit]

Trammies need to stop polluting the MMORPG landscape. They already have enough games in which to emote hugs and sell garbage by the banks.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by BadSpock

This is a business decision, nothing more, nothing less.

If LA/EA/BW feel like they could make more money and have more players if they converted to a F2P model, they will.

The game is far too new to go fully F2P, but buy-to-play would be a convenient option as long as they maintain a "premium" subscription option for people who enjoy the "classic" payment model.

This would be more like Freemium & B2P mix instead of true B2P.

B2eemium?

Would not play it like that.

I would not play any game with model like that.

Either true B2P without optional subs or gtfo sorry.

Alternatively normal F2P or Freemioum but that's worse.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

Originally posted by eayes

I don't play ToR or care either way but aren't there enough threads like this without a staff writer making one. What's next, "Is GW2 worth a sub?"

I for one am happy to see any threads that aren't just advertisements for games.  This is a relevant topic considering GW2 is on the horizon and BW is desperate to get people to try, stay or return.

• skiwalker998skiwalker998 Member Posts: 3

condensing the servers is all swtor needs to do to improve population on  servers and make it a geat game

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Grakulen

If they really have 1.7 million subs (but I don't believe they do) then no they shouldn't. Why give up $60+million in revenue each month.

I never said they should go free-to-play exclusively. These days free-to-play often still offers a subscription option see: LOTRO/DDO, Champions Online, DCUO, STO etc.

Worst model ever.

Combines disadvantages of P2P and F2P and does not bring their biggest advantages.

Hope it will die.  Obviosuly not soon ,but somewhere along the road.

P2P , B2P or F2P are all better than Freemium.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

More than changing the pricing model they should redesign their game. Get rid of at least half of the instances, maybe delete fleets to bring more life to planets and open the worlds.

Hating gear treadmill I didn't have anything to do at level 50, other than roll a few alts...but doing the same quests again for 3rd time in a couple of months was too much. During my travels I didn't have a single whoah effect or discovery. Worlds are just too static and lifeless for a Star Wars universe.

Freemium may have a positive impact for them but they still need more brains imho. Mind, I don't hate the game and liked leveling my Sith Warrior a lot. Until end game or the lack of it.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Free to play...probably not.

Buy to play...you bet.

Originally posted by Piiritus

More than changing the pricing model they should redesign their game. Get rid of at least half of the instances, maybe delete fleets to bring more life to planets and open the worlds.

Hating gear treadmill I didn't have anything to do at level 50, other than roll a few alts...but doing the same quests again for 3rd time in a couple of months was too much. During my travels I didn't have a single whoah effect or discovery. Worlds are just too static and lifeless for a Star Wars universe.

Freemium may have a positive impact for them but they still need more brains imho. Mind, I don't hate the game and liked leveling my Sith Warrior a lot. Until end game or the lack of it.

I agree. Some parts of the game just are horribly designed. With their assumed many hundred of employees it should not be so difficult. I still really wonder how this could happen.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    F2P?!?! Seriously, I would not play if EA-BW gave me $15/month to play. Once the glowing the light sabers fades and the quest dialogue becomes white noise, you've got a game that would have been mediocre 4 years ago. Stay away - don't make my mistake.
  • HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

The most interesting part of this commentary was actually about RL geopgraphic locations and the value of money.  I get that $15 doesn't go as far in NYC.  I used to live in Boston, different city, similar type of expenses.  However, moving out west, $15 goes a lot further. 

Is $15 a lot of money in either place, probably not.  However, $1 in the rocky mountain region > $1 on the east coast, so you tend to think a little more about your expenses out here even if you can afford them.

Either way, I would agree that subscription models are dieing off.  I enjoyed CoH for a year, WoW for 3 years and Rift for 3 months, but I wouldn't sign up for another subscription game.  For me, WoW 40% margins seem awfully high.  I'm also a weary of investing in content that has yet to be released.  Towards the end of WoW, I found myself sitting around waiting for something to do and that wasn't good.  Part of that was a design problem with systems already in place, but a lot had to do with not having enough content.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Theres few things i want in this game, and i hate to say it. But its from WoW

1. Give us a Flashpoint tool + Ops

* Well this is the only thing i want :)

Ohhh, and the ability to heal my companion. I.e. as a gunslinger would be helpful :)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by fenistil

I never said they should go free-to-play exclusively. These days free-to-play often still offers a subscription option see: LOTRO/DDO, Champions Online, DCUO, STO etc.

Worst model ever.

Combines disadvantages of P2P and F2P and does not bring their biggest advantages.

Hope it will die.  Obviosuly not soon ,but somewhere along the road.

P2P , B2P or F2P are all better than Freemium.

Completely disagree. The model works great from what I have seen in LotR, DDO, and DCUO.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

ok MikeB, that's your final warning.  3 day suspension from your own website for starting a flame war.  Epic trolling for the win. :P

And seriously, after starting this, I think you owe me an appology for several banning incidents from Jul to Nov of '09 lol

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Yeah if it was f2p i would definitely play it, because i don't pay monthly for single player/co-op games.
  • ProstiProsti Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by black_isle

Yeah if it was f2p i would definitely play it, because i don't pay monthly for single player/co-op games.

Definately another reason why it would be better as a F2P or B2P. It's practically a single player/Co-Op game. No reason for me to pay 15$ a month for a game that I can just sit at home and play the old school Old Republic classics.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114
    No, we don't know subscriber numbers. And no xfire or torstatus only show server trends. So we don't really know how they are doing
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I don't see why there can't be both. 

I played Guild Wars, much to my regret, while also maintaining subs to a few other games at the same time.

Give me a sub based payment method any day of the week. Or if you are going to go free-to-play, follow along Turbines footsteps, the LOtRO model is pretty nice if you are inclined to grind out all there is to grind.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Originally posted by Eletheryl

Here we go again, Warhammer online and Daoc are still P2P MMOs, SWTOR have more than 1 mill of subs after almost 6 months and people talking about it need to go F2P. They have already 4 more content updates for this year and ¨a space secret Proyect¨ that is probably the 1st expansion of the game, all for this year, by the end of the year the population could rise and not go down.  Is ok guys if you dont like the game, but you should live with the facts, swtor is the most successfull MMO in the west Post WoW, like or not, that guys, is a fact.  

I'll explain it to you. Tor needed to hit a homerun, because of the money invested into it and the IP. It didn't. Tor is a big boat, but its sinking. "Oh it still has X number of subs", but how many has it lost? How far has the water risen?

The population isn't going to get better than what it was when the game was released. You know how a moive with a strong IP will do well at first and even hold its own for a bit, but then falls quickly when word of mouth gets around about it and other big name moives are released? Same thing with an MMO.

It isn't the most successfull MMO, because its faling so fast. In fact you might say its the least successfull MMO.