Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game seem very interesting! But I feel the main thing that will RUIN the game in the west won't

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
This game seem very interesting! But I feel the main thing that will Ruin the game up in the West won't be bugs or software issues,,

But will be THE PLAYERS.

NA culture, along with Sandbox PvP, tend to ruin an awesome gameplay experience when it comes to any sandbox MMO.

What will make Archeage any different here? The players to mess things up, and run players away, that may be interested in sandbox subgenre.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Its just people.  Some are awesome.  Some are anything but. 

I figure this is all over the world no matter where you go or what you do.  By your logic every single western mmorpg is trash and ruined due to the community. 

And as in life a lot of the time its just being lucky enough to fall in with a decent group of people and having fun together. 

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Originally posted by MMOExposed

This game seem very interesting! But I feel the main thing that will Ruin the game up in the West won't be bugs or software issues,,

But will be THE PLAYERS.

NA culture, along with Sandbox PvP, tend to ruin an awesome gameplay experience when it comes to any sandbox MMO.

What will make Archeage any different here? The players to mess things up, and run players away, that may be interested in sandbox subgenre.

The only way to handle this is through the game design. If you take human behavior into consideration, and you create a design where the people NOT interested in PvP can feasibly avoid it - without "missing out" on most content, it's doable.

Supposedly, they're going to restrict "full PvP" to a single continent out of 3 - though I'm not sure of the details.

I think the key is to have a "neutral faction" you can join that is separate from player factions doing PvP, and the consequences of doing PvP.

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

I can't fully explain it without profanity, but I'll just say that NA players aren't the problem.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

If community will be the biggest of AA's problems I'll be a happy pony.

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89

Its always the players. In any game, "some" players will always try to fight the game, bypass mechanics and obstacles and chose the path of least resistance. They are like water. And this will always produce problems for a much larger number of players, if not the whole playerbase.

This is, in my opinion, one of the main reasons for why themepark mmos have even been invented.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

It's true that some people just can't handle hardcore style pvp, and it's also true, that some people will be so lame and constantly grief someone to the point of making the other person want to rage beyond belief. This really isn't much different from when I played UO, however there were certainly a LOT less players back in that time. So instead of 10 people complaining about a group of people on a forum, you will have hundreds or thousands. When it is that many people voicing rage based opinions.. developers tend to make changes. I've always been a believer in if you don't like a game don't play it. Don't go whine on the forums until you get your way and ruin the game for the people who appreciate the way the game was made. I think AA has a huge amount of potential. I'm truly afraid of what changes would be made to "westernize' this particular game.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by DixonHill

Its always the players. In any game, "some" players will always try to fight the game, bypass mechanics and obstacles and chose the path of least resistance. They are like water. And this will always produce problems for a much larger number of players, if not the whole playerbase.

This is, in my opinion, one of the main reasons for why themepark mmos have even been invented.

right.. so rather than it being dodgy coding, its because players break stuff.. awesome.. personally i thought the bit where the players broke stuff was called, BETA TESTING. but, wouldnt be the first game to be released in a questionable state, certainly won't be the last.

had to laugh though at the OPs 'its the players fault'.. QQ'ing.. priceless image

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I actually agree with the OP, to an extent. A handfull of players can ruin an entire server in an open PvP game. I think thats what the OP is meaning. FFA PVP is a niche crowd period, and the reason is ganking and greiving. Debate that all you like, throw out derogatory terms like "carebear" all you like but majority of gamers do not enjoy that type of play at all, again I think that is where the OP is going with this thread.

As for AA I hope the game mechanics thats suposed to curb the ganking and greiving work otherwise, the game will just be another niche game. Theres nothing wrong with that, everyone needs a game to play. But open world PvP will never be for the masses.   

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Yes players can ruin the game.  They'll cry, whine, stamp their feet until a unique game is changed and made palatable to the masses.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Another thing I find interesting, is when you get into the debate of PvP and PvE severs. Not saying Archeage will have different server rule sets, and I am talking about PVP games in genral, but overall which crowd is strongly opposed to different server rule sets? Its sure as heck isnt the PvE crowd. PVE crowd couldnt care less if there was a PVP server or not. But why is it that PVP crowd so strongly opposes a PVE server? Its because PVP servers end up dying because ultimately the players run other players off to the PVE servers. PVP crowd wants to force everybody to play by their rules. Without PVE servers the players just end up running players off to another game, which is what the OP is refering to I think.

Would I like to see PVP/PVE servers in AA? Maybe, but id rather see servers with the penalty for greiving and ganking higher on some severs vs other severs. Id have to see how the game plays before I know for sure on which id prefer.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

But will be THE PLAYERS.

I don't agree at all. I think sandbox games attract the more mature players since they don't have the "I win" and "gimme now" buttons in place. But, I can only go by my experience on the Tarquinas server in SWG. I thought the community there was amazing.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Originally posted by DarkPony

This fine steed said it better than any two legger ever could.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by afropuff420

It's true that some people just can't handle hardcore style pvp, and it's also true, that some people will be so lame and constantly grief someone to the point of making the other person want to rage beyond belief. This really isn't much different from when I played UO, however there were certainly a LOT less players back in that time. So instead of 10 people complaining about a group of people on a forum, you will have hundreds or thousands. When it is that many people voicing rage based opinions.. developers tend to make changes. I've always been a believer in if you don't like a game don't play it. Don't go whine on the forums until you get your way and ruin the game for the people who appreciate the way the game was made. I think AA has a huge amount of potential. I'm truly afraid of what changes would be made to "westernize' this particular game.

While I am also a believer that MMO makers should stick to their beliefs and make the game the way they want it, I have found that the recent more "sandbox" games have a very heavy PVP roll. Darkfall and Haven I really wanted to get into, but the thought of getting ganked or losing everything is very unappealing to me. Does every developer that likes crafting have to be so PVP oriented. Horizon's was a great crafting sandbox with decorative and useful buildings. It just didn't have anything else so the game died. Runescape had a FFA area, it was avoided like the plague because of griefers. I will follow this game, but if the unlimited FFA remains (criminal status will only reward griefers), I will not play.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I sort of agree it will be the players ,more so the NA players.

Myself i just like an honest dev not one whjo constantly tells me they have the greatest artists or the greatest new ideas,just a dev who delivers a game and makes no promises.

I will probably judge the game quickly as i did Tera,i need a decent UI otherwise cumbersome game play will turn me off if not right away eventually.Everyone has their own take on how XP is done and how UI should be done ,so yes it will be the players that decide the fate of the game.

I am however quite sure it will do well in Korea but maybe have mixed reviews over here.Personally i don't care about reviews or even other opinions, i wil lbase the game on weather i like it afterall i am the one who will be playing it.

I don't ask alot from a game,i want a UI that fits me,i want a good detaield combat system with good character customization [not looks,but stats].

I don't want super ugly textures or graphics example no one colour hue surrounding an entire map [TERA/Skyrim],no 8 bit textures [Wow] just give me an honest effort.If there is bugs no problem just make sure they are fixed within a week or two.

Archeage imo will be the biggest most impressive game to ever come from Korea,it will be heavily scrutinized.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I think this game is a different breed. It's a true virtual world. Watch the last yogcast video and they talk about a boat ride taking half an hour. It's just different. Immersive. Community will of course effect your gaming experience, but the world is huge, everyone won't be funneled into the same areas.
  • CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65

To an extent you have to accept the fact that with greater player freedom, e.g. FFA PVP, you also have to accept the potential chaos and aggravation that can come with that.  However, consider this:

- RPK (random PK) provide real reasons for guilds to form bonds of friendship and cooperation among their members; 

- the game seems designed to maximize the benefits of thoughtful cooperation on a guild level; the typical mindless socio-paths running around become less of a factor when peaceful cooperation has real rewards

- since you can actually affect the world, e.g. build and defend keeps, people have an incentive to channel their aggression into large scale fighting which more resembles wars; why run around as an RPK when you can play at wars for keeps?

What people need to remind themselves is that freedom means not just taking the good, but also the bad.  If its a trade-off you are happy with, then Archeage is for you.  If not, there are tons of PVE only theme parks out there.

I would rather have the excitement of a world filled with consequence than a safe boring grind-fest

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

But will be THE PLAYERS.

Then, thank the lord I am not from NA. To paraphrase CCP, HTFU North America
  • UmirshandUmirshand Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by Cembrye

To an extent you have to accept the fact that with greater player freedom, e.g. FFA PVP, you also have to accept the potential chaos and aggravation that can come with that.  However, consider this:

- RPK (random PK) provide real reasons for guilds to form bonds of friendship and cooperation among their members; 

- the game seems designed to maximize the benefits of thoughtful cooperation on a guild level; the typical mindless socio-paths running around become less of a factor when peaceful cooperation has real rewards

- since you can actually affect the world, e.g. build and defend keeps, people have an incentive to channel their aggression into large scale fighting which more resembles wars; why run around as an RPK when you can play at wars for keeps?

What people need to remind themselves is that freedom means not just taking the good, but also the bad.  If its a trade-off you are happy with, then Archeage is for you.  If not, there are tons of PVE only theme parks out there.

I would rather have the excitement of a world filled with consequence than a safe boring grind-fest

This pretty much says it all for me. I enjoy PVE as much as I do PVP. With the added "danger" element of FFA PVP comes more excitement and gradification for the PVE elements. I'm eagerly waiting for this game

"Look at me when I'm hitting you!"

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by Cembrye

Name 1 recent Sandbox MMO that wasn't PVP based?
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by DarkPony

Mmhmm.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

But will be THE PLAYERS.

Like in EVE and entropia (90% of good mates on the comunity) i think archeage will be a good comunity enviroment,look at the oficial foruns,diferent of other games foruns out there archeage foruns is "almost" free of flames and bashes and troll posts

Theres is already some penalisations for random PK gankers

Jail (you pass a time not able to get your char out the jail)

Crime marks ( not sure what it do)

Bound (players with crime marks enough can have a bound placed on them,other players who kill him will receive the bound automaticaly)

Like in EVE and entropia (90% of good mates on the comunity) i think archeage will be a good comunity enviroment,look at the oficial foruns,diferent of other games foruns out there archeage foruns is "almost" free of flames and bashes and troll posts

If you find hard to PK in EVE just becouse the concord and bound,archeage will have hes concord plus many more penalisations for pkrs

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by Heinz130

<...>

<...>

Some sort of evidence left at the crime scene by the culprit.  These can be invistigated and then used for Bounty Hunting and/or some detective "game in-game".

Found this description over at MMOSite.com

"If choosing to steal items from someone else though, you will leave behind footprints for each item you steal! Other players can pick up these footprints and report you for the crime.  Footprints disappear over time but exactly how long I'm not sure.  I do know it's less than a day.  If you want to be really sneaky you can scrub away your footprints or blood using a consumable item (a broom) so that others can't report you. But if you stole so much as to aggravate them then they have the option to play detective.  They get a consumable (powder of some sort) that they can throw over a certain area to reveal footprints/blood that have been hidden."

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Originally posted by Heinz130

<...>

<...>

Some sort of evidence left at the crime scene by the culprit.  These can be invistigated and then used for Bounty Hunting and/or some detective "game in-game".

Found this description over at MMOSite.com

"If choosing to steal items from someone else though, you will leave behind footprints for each item you steal! Other players can pick up these footprints and report you for the crime.  Footprints disappear over time but exactly how long I'm not sure.  I do know it's less than a day.  If you want to be really sneaky you can scrub away your footprints or blood using a consumable item (a broom) so that others can't report you. But if you stole so much as to aggravate them then they have the option to play detective.  They get a consumable (powder of some sort) that they can throw over a certain area to reveal footprints/blood that have been hidden."

nice.

As long as the punishment  for becoming an outlaw is harsh, the system might work to prevent ganking and greiving.

If being an outlaw has no real disadvantage, I fear for the popularity of this game in the long haul.

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

Did you ever seen a asiatic guy doing business? they are called tigers for a reason,i dont think they will let the game being ruined by the comunity

Moreover,after all my vast experience with mmorpgs ive NEVER seen a game being ruined by someoneelse but the own game staff

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• wiseman00wiseman00 Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by toddze

Another thing I find interesting, is when you get into the debate of PvP and PvE severs. Not saying Archeage will have different server rule sets, and I am talking about PVP games in genral, but overall which crowd is strongly opposed to different server rule sets? Its sure as heck isnt the PvE crowd. PVE crowd couldnt care less if there was a PVP server or not. But why is it that PVP crowd so strongly opposes a PVE server? Its because PVP servers end up dying because ultimately the players run other players off to the PVE servers. PVP crowd wants to force everybody to play by their rules. Without PVE servers the players just end up running players off to another game, which is what the OP is refering to I think.

Would I like to see PVP/PVE servers in AA? Maybe, but id rather see servers with the penalty for greiving and ganking higher on some severs vs other severs. Id have to see how the game plays before I know for sure on which id prefer.

I feel that if someone doesn't like to engage in conflict with the enemy on the battlefield, that this might not be the game for them. XLGames has only mention contemplation on sperate servers for hasher rules, but I don't believe a PVE server is in their scope of things. The mechanics of the game is designed around interaction.  I feel that the full scope of the game would not be imbraced, if players could only duel or not interact at all....True, it may affect the population of the game, but it could also change the experience of how they have envisioned the game to be, so far as the overall experience.

A lot of the games raid bosses occur in the open world, and the Entire 3rd continent is designed around control for territory, housing, and siege warfare. When a title is built around developing a game life, and then making sure you protect it,  exploring new lands,  while embracing the threat of unfriendliness in some lands, I don't see how a PVE server could work....Even if they did implement it.