Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to spend 1000+ hours in game the first year

Comments

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Auzy

Skyrim was supposed to have 100000 hours of entertainment as well, 

Time played: 32 hrs

Time played 2 hours...was not my cup of tea.

I will play GW2 until I get bored...and hoping that will take a long, long time.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

If the structured 5vs5 pvp ends up being suitable for E-Sports I know I'll be dedicating atleast 20-30 hours or more a week just on that.   Let alone the hours upon hours I'll be directing battles with my guild  in W v W.   spare time between those battles will be spent hosting guild events, mini game competitions,  personal story lines,  Huge epic DE!!  let alone all the dungeons..

I can easily see myself spending my 10-15 hours a day in a variety of different ways.  This game will make being a full time gamer easy!!!   You calculated 1k hours in a year.  My core guild members will do 1k hours of game play easy within 3 months.

Can't wait to take Tyria by storm!!!

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

You forgot to list quitting your job, abandoning social life and moving back into your parents tool shack as mile stones for this project.

the GW2 PMO is not pleased!

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by jondifool

Here is how to spend 1000 hours in the game, just trying everything out.

Now shut up with this "what to do at endgame question ;)

It jumps up all the time . The question of whats the endgame, comming from another new player attrackted to GW2 , not knowing or seeing the virtues in GW1, and conditioned to the grinding progression threadmill.

The player asking most likely think he would powerlevel through all the low levels to get to max level as fast as possible just as he always do.Getting to max level is supposed to take 120 hours, but giving him the benefit of avoiding sidetracking and fun , lets say it takes 100 hours. Blasting through 8 zones and avoiding the rest

Here is what to do then.

Powerlevel to max lvl throuhg 8 zones,                                                            100 hours

discovering Scaling upens 17+ skipped zones to also blast through                     200 hours

30+ minigames (just trying them a few times  and find 1 you like)                         50 hours

dungeouns in exploreple mode, 24 rutes                                                             75 hours

hidden puzzles                                                                                                50 hours

Gaining elusive skillpoints, completing zones                                                     50 hours

festivals during the year                                                                                  50 hours

Guild activities                                                                                              50 hours

crafting , custumes and equpment and consumebles                                         50 hours

playing the AH                                                                                             50 hours

Elite DE missed in the rushing through                                                            50 hours

achivements                                                                                               50 hours

hanging out in ambient surroundings, strolling cities                                         25 hours

making and changing and testing builds (traits and weapons)                            25 hours

Organised PvP (tournaments) and Hot join PvP                                               50 hours

World Wars (WvsW)                                                                                    50 hours

Grind                                                                                                           25 hours

Personal story                                                                                             50 hours

friends personal story                                                                                    25 hours 

What to do in the future

Watching PvP matches (world champ series, your friends and so)                  25 hours

enjoy the player housing                                                                              25 hours

play with expansions                                                                                 200+ hours each

play an alt                                                                                                 100+ hours

Note. We can and will in this thread offcause discuss how precise these numbers are, but the idea behind it is to estimate the time just to try the content out, use the possibillities on a regualar weekly basic during a years play

After playing the BWE, I can truly say that most of my hours are way to low. But i still think they fit in a broader picture , that simply says even if your actual numbers vary alot , there will be plenty to do in this game.

Did any of you get a BWE experience where you realised that some areas you could spend way more time in ?

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by garretth

Time played 2 hours...was not my cup of tea.

I will play GW2 until I get bored...and hoping that will take a long, long time.

Heretics O.o

Lets hope the numbers are realistic

But I have a feeling that with all the side activities, GW2 has the power to hold its playerbase for a loong time

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Oh, come on! It was right there. I had to.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Playing the game - 239782934234 hours
  • LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

I am going to play a disgusting amount of WVWVW...I'm actually growing concerned about how the games launch may effect my overall health. XD

• Originally posted by Lucrecia

I am going to play a disgusting amount of WVWVW...I'm actually growing concerned about how the games launch may effect my overall health. XD

I think WvWvW is very healthy :D

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I am a powergamer, sad I know. I must complete every quest, unlock every skill point, explore everything, sigh. There goes work and gym time! GW2 here I come.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by thedarkess

Every race has its own story and zones. Also, there's different paths within one's story. Roll 5 characters and there you have it 1000+ hours.

Now, that's funny. When people talked about SW TOR's unique story lines the GW2 fanboys swooped in like vultures saying "pff.. boring". 

Also, you must be wrong about each race having it's dedicated zones. Unless you mean dedicated quest areas like TOR. Which is another aspect mocked by the aforementioned fans. Isn't irony a bitch or what. 

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by Butregenyo

Originally posted by Ankur

Every race has its own story and zones. Also, there's different paths within one's story. Roll 5 characters and there you have it 1000+ hours.

I heard similar claims from SWTOR people. I rolled two characters to experince personal story and wanted to poke my eyes out after that. And just the personal stories not any other quest in the zones.

true, but i think this is because the gameplay was crappy and boring in SWTOR.

and many many many people tried to warn the SWTOR people how bad it was BEFORE RELEASE. It isn't our fault you didn't listen.. or even watch vids since the vids of SWTOR told the truth as far back as closed beta.

I was unaware of the videos that you mentioned, I wished i saw them or atleast went into the personal stories more and PVP more. I didn't enjoy SWTOR. I did enjoy my stay at BWE of GW2, so i guess its a fair estimate for my playtime in Tyria.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Shodanas

Now, that's funny. When people talked about SW TOR's unique story lines the GW2 fanboys swooped in like vultures saying "pff.. boring". 

Also, you must be wrong about each race having it's dedicated zones. Unless you mean dedicated quest areas like TOR. Which is another aspect mocked by the aforementioned fans. Isn't irony a bitch or what. 

Well not ALL GW2 fans did that, I know for a fact.  I played SWTOR and I was a GW2 fan the entire time.  The best part of SWTOR to me WAS the class quests or personal stories to use the term GW2 uses.  I loved the stories.  It's actually all that kept me coming back to the game until I finally got bored and quit.  Same with the zones.  I know at least THIS GW2 fan had never dogged SWTOR's class line of quests or zones.  I enjoyed the game very much until....I just didn't enjoy it any more.  The exact same thing I will do with GW2.  I think GW2 will last longer for me, but that remains to be seen.  I'm not a prophet.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by TheTrueKing

I can easily see myself spending my 10-15 hours a day in a variety of different ways.  This game will make being a full time gamer easy!!!   You calculated 1k hours in a year.  My core guild members will do 1k hours of game play easy within 3 months.

My greatest fear for mankind is that you are actually not engaging in hyperbole with those numbers. Not to be a total Buzz-kill but please don't waste your life in persuit of virtual loot. With that amount of free time and focus could get you Degree if you took online courses. 

Originally posted by vesuvias

My greatest fear for mankind is that you are actually not engaging in hyperbole with those numbers. Not to be a total Buzz-kill but please don't waste your life in persuit of virtual loot. With that amount of free time and focus could get you Degree if you took online courses. 

yep i have fond memories of the GW1 message telling me to please take a break when i had been playing a couple of hours. the point of necroing my old thread was to get an impression if some peoples numbers had changed alot. But i don't see any point arguing why a no-subscribtion game should help players to NOT have a life- the hole point of all the anti grind that is part of ArenaNets philosofi, is to have a game that you don't win by not having a real life. 1000 hours in a year is an awfull lot, but  thats what a good hobby can take, but not without costs.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by Ankur

I heard similar claims from SWTOR people. I rolled two characters to experince personal story and wanted to poke my eyes out after that. And just the personal stories not any other quest in the zones.

As long as when I roll into the WvWvW zone and find people actually fighting for something and not kill trading I can invest thousands of hours playing this game.

War zones do not cut it for me. Fish bowl pvp is just not my thing.

SWTOR missed the boat on that one, or rather made a Titanic.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

You are not doing it right.

You are supposed to talk to people in the game.

They will have quests and stuff for you to do.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

yep i have fond memories of the GW1 message telling me to please take a break when i had been playing a couple of hours. the point of necroing my old thread was to get an impression if some peoples numbers had changed alot. But i don't see any point arguing why a no-subscribtion game should help players to NOT have a life- the hole point of all the anti grind that is part of ArenaNets philosofi, is to have a game that you don't win by not having a real life. 1000 hours in a year is an awfull lot, but  thats what a good hobby can take, but not without costs.

lmao its funny how restricted some peoples minds are when it comes to gaming.  Like nobody ever makes a living being a full time gamer.. That is un heard of!! GASP Consider Gaming as a way of income noooo not possible. Or that someone might have a good reason / excuse for gaming as much as they do.

Not like I need to prove myself to anyone or my reasoning behind being a full time gamer but being retired from a career working 70-80 hours a week having no life with my family and no form of entertainment at all, my life was my work which nearly killed me.  My studies at college included culinary arts(yes I'm a chef), linguistics, study of foreign languages such as Mandarin, Spanish, and Thai just to name a couple(yes I'm multilingual). I also Traveled to south east asia to study culinary arts there as well.  So Thank you very much for your concern but I think I haven't wasted my life, I think the life I had before I retired was, aside from my studies, a complete waste.

I now get to spend 24/7 with my wife and family doing something I truly love within my limitations.  My retirement / disability has forced me into a position to enjoy what ever form of life I can and if its limited to what it is, what gives anyone the right to judge another person without knowing their circumstances let alone gives them the right to judge in the first place...

Just hope to god none of you ever experience having everything you worked so hard for in life ripped form you by an unexpected disability..

Simply put, my family and I are happier now then when I was able to work and are able to enjoy what ever we have left together doing something we can do together not me off at a job spending nearly most of my time away from my family, away from my friends doing something that just provided money.

So ya go ahead judge me :P

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    hanging out in ambient surroundings, strolling cities                                         25 hours

Um...so afking while I watch tv?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

Some of thbese are absolutely ridiculous. Hang out in cities for 25 hours? Spend 50 hours in the AH?  50 hours for unspecified "guild activities? UHHH no?

You are really reaching here.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    what about playing WvWvW drunk with ur friends?

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

excellent touch, and i think i would spend more time on some of those features,

but gamers you mention want a game like this:

for max level = 100,

grind from 1 to 100 = 140 hours (est.)

grind raid for T1 set = (3 hours x 40 times)

grind raid for T2 set = (3,5 hours x 40)

grind raid for T3 set = (4 hours x 40)

grind raid for Tx set = (3+(x-1).0.5 hours x 40)

go pvp at battlegrounds for pvp gear rank1 to rankMax ---> 200 hours

play mini-games event ---> 10 minutes

QQ on forums for balance (balance = my class gets buffed to be overpowered) ---> 100 hours

---------------

Well isn't it fun, it is funny coz this requires Sub and GW2 doesn't lol...

This sounds awesome, why don't make make more games llike this. 

lmao its funny how restricted some peoples minds are when it comes to gaming.  Like nobody ever makes a living being a full time gamer.. That is un heard of!! GASP Consider Gaming as a way of income noooo not possible. Or that someone might have a good reason / excuse for gaming as much as they do.

Not like I need to prove myself to anyone or my reasoning behind being a full time gamer but being retired from a career working 70-80 hours a week having no life with my family and no form of entertainment at all, my life was my work which nearly killed me.  My studies at college included culinary arts(yes I'm a chef), linguistics, study of foreign languages such as Mandarin, Spanish, and Thai just to name a couple(yes I'm multilingual). I also Traveled to south east asia to study culinary arts there as well.  So Thank you very much for your concern but I think I haven't wasted my life, I think the life I had before I retired was, aside from my studies, a complete waste.

I now get to spend 24/7 with my wife and family doing something I truly love within my limitations.  My retirement / disability has forced me into a position to enjoy what ever form of life I can and if its limited to what it is, what gives anyone the right to judge another person without knowing their circumstances let alone gives them the right to judge in the first place...

Just hope to god none of you ever experience having everything you worked so hard for in life ripped form you by an unexpected disability..

Simply put, my family and I are happier now then when I was able to work and are able to enjoy what ever we have left together doing something we can do together not me off at a job spending nearly most of my time away from my family, away from my friends doing something that just provided money.

judge you ? why should i ? you did a fine job telling why you are able to play full time. But does it change the point i come up with ? Why should we argue that a non subscribtion game really should help people NOT having a life. When the big quality is that you can be part of it without falling behind other players - and still manage to have life. I am well aware that there are plenty features in GW2 you could use a hell lot of time on. And i wish you good luck with that.

And i know people retired, with a pension that have a great life with alot hours of gaming each day , but i also know people dropping out of studies , loosing jobs and relationships, while gaming 10+ hours a day.

I see a point in arguing why GW2 had alot of going for people wanting a great hobby (this thread was a response to all the crying out of "whats the endgame - what to do at max lvl ? that we was flooded with weeeks ago"), but i don't feel like being called restricted because i see real problem for people actual being addicted to gaming and loosing out in real life while thats going on  

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

grind from 1 to 100 = 140 hours (est.)

grind raid for T1 set = (3 hours x 40 times)

grind raid for T2 set = (3,5 hours x 40)

grind raid for T3 set = (4 hours x 40)

I actually ran into a Karma vendor who was selling T1-T3 gear.  The T3 cost 65,000 Kr. or some other unfathomable value...

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Abosolutly nothing gives others the right to judge. I meant only to encourage moderation by pointing out what could have been accomplished (for real) with that time instead. The vast majority of MMO players likely would not have the same circumstances as you. A great deal are young and likely have other responsibilities that would keep them from playing that much (and 10-15 hours a day every day is an enormous amount of time). I did use the phrase "waste time" but its socially subjective in implication. It would heavily depend on circumstantial content anyway. I certianly don't consider time that I play with my son wasted. 

You should have "judged my words" :) in the context of me having no personal context into your personal life. I made broad generalized statements because thats all I could do given the information. I said nothing that should have offended you, it simply didn't apply. I can't believe that you would advocate most people playing as much as you do.