Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there really no Customisation of Classes?

DyotoOrion2DyotoOrion2 Member Posts: 9

Hi everyone! :-)

Im thinking about buying TERA when it releases on the 3rd in Europe.

But I'm a bit concerned about the way the Class's in this game seem to be 100% predetermined from Level 1 to 60.

What I mean is - is there a way to make your character unique? Or is it really the case, that all Lancers are exactly the same, except name, race and appearance. Or are all Sorcerors exactly the same apart from name race and appearance?

So for example, say I want to make a Priest who does melee combat with a sword and shield? Can i do that? Or if I want to make a Priest who uses a Bow? Can i do that?

Or say, i wanted to play an Archer who sometimes does melee combat with a 2 Handed Sword, is that possible at all?

Or is it really the case, that all Archers use Bows, and thats it. All Lancers use a Shield and Lance. All Warrriors fight with 2 Swords?

Is that really the case? Or is there some way to customise your character class?

Advice please. Thanks! :-)

Know Thyself.

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

?

?

?

You cannot be an archer priest. You cannot be a lancer mage. Sorry. There are differences in classes when it comes to glyphs and crystals. But I don't know enough about that to say how it affects end game content and pvp.

• DyotoOrion2DyotoOrion2 Member Posts: 9

Hi'a! Thank you for your reply.

Can you explain a bit more how Glyphs and Crystals customise your character?

Or could you point me to a Info Resource that explains it. Thanks! :-)

Know Thyself.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by DyotoOrion2

Hi'a! Thank you for your reply.

Can you explain a bit more how Glyphs and Crystals customise your character?

Or could you point me to a Info Resource that explains it. Thanks! :-)

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/make-your-mark-with-glyphs

Glyphs are basically your talent tree equivalent, only there are no tiers, just points you can distribute wherever you want.

http://www.teracave.com/index.php?title=Crystal_System

Crystals are meant to boost your gear both offensively and defensively, usually with a % stat. They are also the things that may get destroyed when dying, along with the stamina loss of course (and the wait).

• DyotoOrion2DyotoOrion2 Member Posts: 9

Thanks Xasapis.

Hmm, this system of Glyphs and Crystals... seems really limited as the only method of customisation.

It seems like everyones characters are exactly the same :-( Apart from their Race, name and custom appearance :-/

Know Thyself.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by DyotoOrion2

Thanks Xasapis.

Hmm, this system of Glyphs and Crystals... seems really limited as the only method of customisation.

It seems like everyones characters are exactly the same :-( Apart from their Race, name and custom appearance :-/

Maybe but I sure wish I had more glyph points,  There are a lot of glyphs that I would like to use.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

There isn't 3 different styles like in WoW, or 6 like in Rift.  Basically everyone's class is going to play the game the same.

Glyphs are the equivilant of spending points in one talent tree.

Classes are definitely more defined in this game than in most mmos.

• FyendiarFyendiar Member UncommonPosts: 250

Character customization is a big thing for me... so I am sitting here absolutely dumbfounded that I have been enjoying Tera and not for one second thought about the lack of the customization! Sure I found the character creation lackluster, but beyond that... not even noticed it at all. Either I have been enjoying the game far more than I expected or it's not as big a deal for me anymore as it used to be.

II am actually sitting here wondering how the heck I could not have noticed a thing as obvious as this and no, I am not trying to be sarcastic, just the plain and slightly annoying to me...truth.

*ponders the situation*

So strange. It's like being attracted to skinny girls and halfway into a relation find out you fell in love with a girl that has a bigger resemblance to a beach ball than a fashion model...

o.O

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    character creation is actully pretty good
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Raxeon

Aye but like 90% of korean game there isnt much cunstomisation in skill and abilities or even equipment you can use, I think this is because koreans like to play on even playing field which means the same charater are basicly the same as each other.

Out of the two (Tera and GW2) big game cming out this year Guildwars 2 has more skill customisation. And right now i appologise for mention GW2 on the tera forum cause i know how antsy you get when it gets mentioned. Tera has it positives and negatives one of the negative i see is skill customisation.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    I see it as a postive, because pretty much everyone is same skill, when you pvp its more about indiviual player skill rather than chance. When you have mutlibuilds what ends up happening is you get "lucky" if you face certain build your build is good against or not good against. However Tera every class only has these many skill, you will learn them after a while. Than the pvp became entirely based on the indivual skill lvl rather than chance of matching other's build.
  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by sanshi44

Aye but like 90% of korean game there isnt much cunstomisation in skill and abilities or even equipment you can use, I think this is because koreans like to play on even playing field which means the same charater are basicly the same as each other.

Instead of attaching a stereotype are you reading the posts or the linked info? That's what glyphs, crystals and gear are for: customization.  There are specific roles for each class so there is a limit of course.  I'm a warrior and I might have a completly different set of gear/crystals/glyphs for PvE tanking, PvE dps and PvP.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Actually I like this lock in system and it annoys me I am afraid to say in other games such as wow most capable tank classes are played as DPS with no secondary spec as tank.

Being locked in is part of the appeal to me, roll something you know you will enjoy and stick with it, if you don't like it well then there is wow and rift that offer those systems.

There is one class that is capable of tanking and dpsing and that is the Warrior so if you like hybrids there is one, however be warned its quite complicated compared to the pure's and is not as good as lancer at tanking nor as top in dps.  They are a gap filling class.

Some people like myself miss being locked in.  Non of this ass-hatedry arms warrior queuing as tank not keeping aggro and giving the healer a hard time.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Originally posted by sanshi44

Instead of attaching a stereotype are you reading the posts or the linked info? That's what glyphs, crystals and gear are for: customization.  There are specific roles for each class so there is a limit of course.  I'm a warrior and I might have a completly different set of gear/crystals/glyphs for PvE tanking, PvE dps and PvP.

But you can't switch weapons which is to the OP's point I think.

Realistically, in most MMO's I found it was best to stick with the "best" weapons for your class, though I realize some folks switched between 2 handed weapons for DPS and sword and board for defense, but I suppose the glyphs/crystals cover some of this.

Just a different design is all, no weapon swapping really and no predesigned talent trees and I'm OK with that, not every game has to be designed like "the one"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• revengecyrevengecy Member UncommonPosts: 21
    The glyph customizations actually make a huge a difference, the thing about Tera is 1-2 new abilities or glyph upgrades can change the way you play, atleast for me as a warrior in Tera eu up to level 31 in the headstart. I found the warrior amazing when he hit level 22 with his new skills and played differently ( you get skills once every 2 levels ). When i hit 30 and respec'd my glyph's it was like i was another class in PvE ( didnt have time to test in PvP ). There are distinct armor enchants + wep enchants along with crystals and glyphs which are usable for customizations depending on the scenario. yes the same classes will have the same skills but mine might do 25% more damage and your's might have 30% immobilizing chance or heal you for a % and increase the speed or amount of duration of the next chain skill.
  • TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76

I have been playing the game non stop for a few days my priest is at level 24. Glyphs are what is really gonig to set one person apart from the next of the same class. That comes down to playstyle.  This game is far far more about skill rather then who has the best spec. It's one of the few ways that pvp can also be truely balanced. 

But I guess to put it in wow(simple) terms. Glyph's = spec

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    I hope the l33t, gankers, duelists, dont touch my fight, i play an mmo so i can solo, arena match PvPers have found a home here and stay outta the other games.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Its got more customization than other Action MMOs that are out there (they usually just have you pick a specific character).

And its fun as hell!!

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Its got more customization than other Action MMOs that are out there (they usually just have you pick a specific character).

And its fun as hell!!

You're talking about gender locking? It seems to be gaining popularity in Korean games, but I'm glad they didn't go with that model because I refuse to play any game that locks your gender to your class.

Dragon Nest might've been an interesting game, but I wont play it because of gender locking. TERA on the other hand, I can still look forward to trying this game out. image

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

So in MMOs with all the 100s of choices, what still happens anyway ?.... cookie cutter builds.

Raiding and PvP all come down to Min maxing and everyone ends up with the same builds and same equipment. People leveling end up following a guide that all have the same min/maxed builds. It doesn't really matter if you have a choice or not when people all pick the same thing.

In the words of Henry Ford...you can have any color of car you want, as long as it's black.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

And its fun as hell!!

You're talking about gender locking? It seems to be gaining popularity in Korean games, but I'm glad they didn't go with that model because I refuse to play any game that locks your gender to your class.

Dragon Nest might've been an interesting game, but I wont play it because of gender locking. TERA on the other hand, I can still look forward to trying this game out. image

You're OK with gender locking by race right?  Because a few of the races are either male only or female only.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Heh, gotta love the Block function. Some folks are simply not out to have a conversation or debate about a certain topic. 
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

And its fun as hell!!

Well, Tera has some races that are gender specific. Elins are female only, Popori are ... well, male I think. Barakas are asexual.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

A priest that uses a bow is no longer a priest.

There is literally no game that has priests with bows...

the type of cusomization you are asking for does not exist except in perhaps ultima online.

Your expectations were waaay off base.

There is A LOT of customization in this game when it comes to your characters play style, yet you must always use the weapon that makes sense with your class, and though everything can do damage, yes priests and mystics will always be expected to focus on healing.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Theres nothing sexual or asexual about baraka they are just stone.  They peeled themselves out of rocks!!!! ;).

I honestly dont know what is wanted more than playing the game yourself. Only that satisfies the curiosities such as the OP's.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by NBlitz

Heh, gotta love the Block function. Some folks are simply not out to have a conversation or debate about a certain topic. 

Agreed, a lot of people just can't respect one another, nor can they put down their defenses long enough to debate the topic not the people.

Its really rather sad.