Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do some mmos genderlock?

Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I see absolutely no point to genderlocking classes in mmos. Games like Vindictus, or Seven souls, and other action mmos are in my opinion always ruined because of genderlocked classes. Why in the world would they do that?

What is the point of genderlocking classes other than to annoy players?

I just can't see how it is a good idea in mmos. Can someone please explain the logic behind that to me?

Comments

• HolyTrevorHolyTrevor Member UncommonPosts: 55
    because it fits their lore?
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    In Vindictus it kind of fits into the story, you're playing that person, you're not playing yourself, you're playing Fiona or Karok and so forth. They're people inside the world, it just makes sense.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by HolyTrevor

because it fits their lore?

nod, that's the reason in Vindictus

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Usually out of laziness I think, but some games like Vindictus/Lunia and such do it for lore reasons. Like in many single player games, you take control over someone that is important to the games storyline.
  • BMoorBMoor Member Posts: 202

With a set amount of resources (money & time), would you rather have 4 well developed characters (appearances, actions, skills, effects) or 8 mediocre characters?  Or maybe 4 average characters versus 8 poorly developed ones.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    It's a money-saving strategy. You only need one set of animations if there's only one gender, as opposed to two.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Others have answered this, but I'll reiterate it:  it's cheaper to only do one set of artwork per class than both a male set and a female set for each class.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Quizzical

Others have answered this, but I'll reiterate it:  it's cheaper to only do one set of artwork per class than both a male set and a female set for each class.

Yep, particularly armors are easier if you just have to make one set.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, MMO is short for MMORPG, but not all MMOs are actually really RPGs.

For example, there are some which dont support multiple races. Even if thats a standard for RPGs.

If you only have one race, then limiting class choices to one gender is the next step. As mentioned - half as many animations, half as many armor designs to do.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

There is no other reason other than cost.

You get to program one set of gear, one set of character modles, one set of animations. 

Its why i steer clear of games that gender lock...its a cheap game that was rushed out.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Better get over your issue. To skip a class/game because of that is daft. To be even bothered by such is silly.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Originally posted by OSF8759

It's a money-saving strategy. You only need one set of animations if there's only one gender, as opposed to two.

It is actually a money losing strategy. In the case of Vindictus modders created a way arround the gender lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSbdkwAEn2w

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I never liked gender locking. It's pretty much saying that the races in the game are too stupid to learn other skills.

But then again, gnome tanks are pretty stupid.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Because some creeps like to try and pick up in MMOs.

In seriousness. Its most likely due to budget constraints. Its cheaper to only animate and create gear for one character model than two.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Genderlocking is pure developer laziness. They spin their "lore" so it explains the laziness as intentional game design, not the other way around. Genderlocking is the absolute dumbest thing an MMO can have.

Joined - July 2004

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Cost obviously, is one thing but there is still more than just "lore".

Some games want to tell you a personal story / world.
    A MMO does not need you to be a "another" Hero in a World.

Sure it's bad if you can't find your spot.
    Like playing a "Tank" but there is no male version in Vindictus.
    But so are strict Faction race splits, i can't play a Bloodelf with my Gnome friend. (awkward example, i know)

Strange enough Faction (Race/class) splitting is accepted by most as a given.

I personally stopped playing Aion because i couldn't play with my friends (Asmo / ely).

I stop playing WoW after 3 Months because of the same reason. I couldn't stand all Ally races but couldn't stand my horde faction.

Warhammer, well the same.
    SWTOR the same, it could have had me hooked despite all the issues but i couldn't play the class / story / weapon type to a fitting faction.

I played Lineage2 for 6 years over the course of over 8 years (late 2003 korea/japan/tw included). I think it's because i could play with darkelves and Orcs as a human. Of course race locks haven't been the only turnoff but one of us never really liked his class /race and that is constantly nagging.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by Calintz333

I see absolutely no point to genderlocking classes in mmos. 

if you cant see the cost point, you are obviously blind.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    An Amazon warrior from the island of Lesbos is just not the same if it is a dude.