Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why the hell is GW2 so over hyped

title, the beta blew.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I liked the beta.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well ... I guess if people enjoyed GW1, they can be almost sure they will enjoy GW2 as well.

But as someone who really got bored out of his mind super quick in GW1, I am less likely to get very happy with GW2. The removeal of the trinity makes it even less likely.

Also, I will be very happy when all these people who can discuss endlessly how evil and wrong the trinity is have the game that offers them an alternative.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Adamantine

Well ... I guess if people enjoyed GW1, they can be almost sure they will enjoy GW2 as well.

But as someone who really got bored out of his mind super quick in GW1, I am less likely to get very happy with GW2. The removeal of the trinity makes it even less likely.

Also, I will be very happy when all these people who can discuss endlessly how evil and wrong the trinity is have the game that offers them an alternative.

Did you reach inside my brain and pull this post out? This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Anyways, I still think GW 2 will probably be a good or great mmo, and I might even enjoy it, but I'm not convinced yet. Pretty much for those exact reasons. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Adamantine

I agree with that statement.

The thing I don't understand is, why do so many people who aren't interested in GW2, care so much about a lot of people looking forward to it and being excited about it? It just seems like several people continue to go out of their way to try and fight the GW2 hype. Doesn't make much sense to me.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Because the developers trolled the whole mmorpg community to believe that every other mmorpg is boring but theirs. Eventually it may work for them or it may bite them in the ass, since so much hype cannot be justified.

Personally I hope it ends up being a decent game, but unfortunately the zealotry of the fan base has sour my excitement over the release of this game. It was a bit like the days before Bioware released SW:TOR, only this time it's 100 times worse in absurdity and total lack of any kind of objectivity.

@Terrorizor

The opposite is actually happening. In every single thread the zealots attack anything that is not according to Anet's manifesto or anyone who dares to voice the slightest critisism towards GW2. It's so absurd really it reached the point of ridiculous.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Define Over-hyped.

The game is what it was advertised to be. Whether you like it or not is not relevant as to whether the game actually delivers on what was advertised.

Just in case your confused - Hype is what marketing people say about what a product is or will be.

Over hype would then be exagerating a true fact about a product beyond what is reasonable - IE hype - tons of quests in my game - reality - game has 500 quests - hype is accurate enough and should be considered true. Overhype  - We have the most quests of any game ever made for all time - or - We have the best most original quests of all time - when the quests are 100 fetch and carry - 100 kill quests - 100 defend quests etc all following a very basic mold and just changing out the monsters or items involved.

Things to look for and disregard in Hype - any absolute qualifiers - The best - The most - completely original - never before seen - etc. These are almost always false although they may have a kernal of truth in them which they will hang their hat on.

The only thing i did not personally experience that was hyped was the evolving quest chains that are supposed to change the world depending on what the players do or do not do.

There were some public quest chains - however - they reminded me more of the mechanics of the PQ's of warhammer than anything radically new or different. I am expecting that as one gets further into the gameworld these evolving quest chains will become more apparent - although only time will tell on that one.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    someone needs to get these worthless troll threads under control IMO.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    *shrug* I guess some of us are just sick of grinding, gear treadmills, waiting for healers, and endgame dailies. If that's what you like, it's not like there aren't pleanty of games that offer that. For others, GW2 is the first game to offer an alternative in a long long time. Sorry it didn't cater to you.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Originally posted by FreyaVP

title, the beta blew.

In what way exactly did the beta blow? in your opinion of course.

Also, how does your opinon that the beta blew, lead to GW2 being over hyped?

As someone that enjoyed GW, I was interested in GW2, and after getting some hands on with it over the weekend, my opinion is that it will be a good, fun game.

If that means I am adding to the hype in your opinion, so be it.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

title, the beta blew.

shoo!! fly shoo!! so annoying!!

• mrhyde1428mrhyde1428 Member Posts: 57

You realize that threads like this, just add more to the hype right? 

One more GW2 thread to show up in the "Current Forum Activity...Refreshed every 10 seconds."

Just think its funny :)

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Xasapis

@Terrorizor

The opposite is actually happening. In every single thread the zealots attack anything that is not according to Anet's manifesto or anyone who dares to voice the slightest critisism towards GW2. It's so absurd really it reached the point of ridiculous.

It's funny that you suggest that, but for the members that actually played the beta, less then 6% were unhappy, yet there is clearly more then 6% unhappy threads. Seems like the 6% is more vocal, then the majority of happy players. It's also seems that the entire 12% of GW2 haters (another 6% didn't play the beta) are extremely unhappy when someone from the majority disagrees with them. They probably get called trolls and such alot, but I really try and refrain from that because I think they just don't really know what it's all about, so they make mistakes unintentionally and some people think they are doing it intentionally. The way I see it, if they actually knew all the different facts about the game, they'd be on the other side of the fence, but whatever.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Some people's hype is another person's jealousy. I see threads like this and I see a bunch of folk lashing out cause G2 is right,. No matter the incarnation, you've been playing the same game for 10 years. Imagine if every game played like supermario brothers, every platform ,for 10 years.  Every platform game, Little Big Planet, Braid, Sonic the Hedgehog.  hat if they all had the same element of jumping on someone's head and shooting fireballs. Aschew the game customeizers, time altering game play and fast movment mechanics and insert poles with flags. They just changed the characters, maybe the setting added one or two new mechanics to it (maybe a racoon suit) and that as it, for 10 years. 

And why would they all have the same, cause ...well it worked in one.  

Then imagine a game comes along and says, well e're not going to put in the jumping on head. Well a lot of people, people who gave up on platforming cause they got tired of playign the latest version of mario brothers (who look that has a crosshair) are going to flock to this game. For just the fact that someone had the balls to make a different game in the genre.  It's innovative simply because its not following the MMO model.  As a matter of fact it disregards so many  common thread about mmos, it shoul dbe overhyped. It's the first new MMO to come out in 10 years.  

I get the jealousy. It's hard when someone points out you've been doing the same thing for 10 years and you didnt notice. Heck,even now you still don;t ant to believe it.  Can't tell me a genre that works like MMO.  Not a single genre or subgenre has every game inside it work under the exact same mechanics.  Even a football game wwill be different. Madden was far different from Gameday which as different from Blitz. But MMOs, i can play rift like wow like ruines of magic like Tor.  Raids and dungeosn boil down to the same questions where do i stand and what do i spam. 

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

- I enjoyed the beta

- There is too much hype

- GW2 is a great game, but it won't change everyone's lives, no MMO will

• ragnarrogragnarrog Member Posts: 16
    because the gw1 community is desperate for it.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

@terrorizor

It's the first beta weekend, what did you expect? Even for Tera, it took more than a weekend for people to realise that they didn't like the game that much and stay clear. I bet D3 beta weekend would be as much successful as GW2, but it means little in mmorpg terms.

In any case, these forums are filled with people who have something to say, usually something polarised, which eventually make their argument invalid.

So far from what I read (I'm not pre-ordering a game without a release date) about GW2 beta issues, range is overpowered compared to melee (to be expected), tons of non game breaking bugs (to be expected) and some concerns regarding the repeatability of events (to be expected, just not so fast).

Still, if the above were the only actual issues, I don't see why Anet still hasn't announced a release date.

@dontadow

Last I checked, pretty much every FPS game plays the same for decades. mmorpgs are not the only games that have been evolving in baby steps, mostly because despite what people say, innovation is usually punished. So developers prefer to evolve features and occassionally create a new one. Which is the case with GW2, I can't think of a feature that is not an evolution of something that was found in other mmorpgs, only presented in a nice hype banner that the disgrunded mmorpg players of the past picked up as their last hope of fun.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by Greyhooff

- I enjoyed the beta

- There is too much hype

Not really a response to you, but you definitely get a Kudo for having Baghdad Bob.

This question is asked almost every new major game that comes out.  People simple get excited over the prospect of a new game that they will enjoy.  Everyone has different reasons, but the answer isn't very complex.

I self identify as a monkey.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Definitely the devs.  They made every single other studio out there look like the big bad boogie man out to get you.  I think there was a six month period where all anyone was talking about was how Guild Wars 2 was buy to play and how much ArenaNet cared about gamers because they weren't trying to "cheat you" with microtransactions and subscriptions.

It was a little funny when ArenaNet announced they were going to run the game based entirely off of microtransactions.

What a lot of people don't understand is that ArenaNet is owned by their own boogie man, NCSoft.

But people were sold more on the studio and less on the game.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

- I enjoyed the beta

- There is too much hype

Copy and paste this response into every post of every GW2 thread. Please.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Looks like to me this is another psot from somone who never played the beta who is affraid of loosing some of the player base in there current game there playing like 95% of all the other posts like this. If he gave a valid reason to why it sucks then maybe i woukd beleive he acualy played the game and think it isnt very good.

From my beta experience the Devs deleivered everything they promised + a bit more (minus some technical issues and a few bugs which is expected in beta and that will be fixed before the game comes out) and considering the hype went down a whole .01 since the beta weekend i would say alot of people who acualy played the game enjoyed it.

Originally posted by Comnitus

- I enjoyed the beta

- There is too much hype

Copy and paste this response into every post of every GW2 thread. Please.

No one's saying it's going to cure cancer, but as far as a game in a genre that's been stale for a decade, it's a breath of fresh air.  It's not selling a Monorail. That can't be said about 99% of MMOs.  It's got people looking at the MMO market again after giving up on it and riting it off as dead. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Was not really over hyped by the publisher but really by the fanboys on here... some people where making it out to be the second coming of christ, i know thats been used a lot to describe the kind of hype that happened but tis the truth..

I have been testing since closed beta and knew exactly what it was like because of that, i knew it was jsut a well polished themepark MMORPG with a button for instant gratification.. its also the reason i never pre-ordered it and will only pick it up in a sale at some point..

Nothing ground braking here and its not going to change the MMO industry..

Its actually a good game and if your into your themepark games then i highly recommend getting this if you can pick it up for a decent price, but dont go in thinking its going to make everything you hate about MMORPGs go away...

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by Byrhofen

title, the beta blew.

In what way exactly did the beta blow? in your opinion of course.

Also, how does your opinon that the beta blew, lead to GW2 being over hyped?

As someone that enjoyed GW, I was interested in GW2, and after getting some hands on with it over the weekend, my opinion is that it will be a good, fun game.

If that means I am adding to the hype in your opinion, so be it.

let it go man, he wont be replying

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

title, the beta blew.

It sure did blow me well ;-o

But seriously. There were some technical issues which they solved very quickly. I know there were still people having trouble but they were nowhere near the majority having problems.

We know optimization is getting done. Everything else worked well on my end the 2nd and 3rd days. 

Originally posted by Caldrin

Was not really over hyped by the publisher but really by the fanboys on here... some people where making it out to be the second coming of christ, i know thats been used a lot to describe the kind of hype that happened but tis the truth..

I have been testing since closed beta and knew exactly what it was like because of that, i knew it was jsut a well polished themepark MMORPG with a button for instant gratification.. its also the reason i never pre-ordered it and will only pick it up in a sale at some point..

Nothing ground braking here and its not going to change the MMO industry..

Its actually a good game and if your into your themepark games then i highly recommend getting this if you can pick it up for a decent price, but dont go in thinking its going to make everything you hate about MMORPGs go away...

Closed Beta Right. Me too.  

Its this type of arroganice that makes folk get up in arms.  If you like the changes you like them, if hyou don't you don't. But the clear lack of a trinity is more than enough to make most gamers happy.  Add to that no raiding or item treadmill. That's 99 percent of what most people who don't play MMOs hate about MMOs.  

So yeah, if you can bring me anothe gamet hat's doing that, right now, i'll never comment in a thread again.  Else I hear hat i said earlier, sad jealousy from folk who are too ashamed to admit that the game they play hasn't changed since 2004. 

This discussion has been closed.