Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cellphone w/monthly bill required to Use Paypal w/RMAH

infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

Prepaid Phones on pay as you go payment methods do not work.  A bunch of threads popped up today and they kept deleting a bunch of them. They deleted one that was almost 20 pages and gave my account a supesion cause i asked why that got deleted. Funny thing is it says the suspesion was for sc2 forums not diablo but anyways.

from their FAQ:

"Are there any account-security measures tied to the real-money auction house?

Players will be required to attach a Battle.net Authenticator, free Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, or Dial-In Authenticator (where available) in order to carry a Battle.net Balance over $100 USD (or equivalent local currency) . For more information about how to obtain an Authenticator, please visit this page.

Players who wish to use PayPal to charge up their Battle.net Balance or to “cash out” funds earned in the real-money auction house will be required to sign up for our Mobile Alerts SMS authentication service in Battle.net. When you sign up for the Mobile Alerts service, you will receive a text message on your mobile phone containing a code that you must enter on Battle.net to verify your identity. Once verification is complete, you can then move forward with your transaction. After this initial verification, you will be prompted to enter a new SMS code from time to time when accessing a feature that uses PayPal. Note that standard SMS messaging rates apply -- check with your cell phone carrier for details."

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-functionality

Now I know fanbois are gonna come jumping on Blizzards D***, saying "OMG its 2012 you don't have a cell phone but you can spend $60 on a game? Oh i can't wait to get the new iPad 4 its only slighly better than the ipad 3 that i have now but i need it"

Having a cellphone would cost me more than what i payed for the game. I've had a cell phone, why wasting $50 a month on something i barely used when a home phone is cheaper.

Activision/Blizzard are trying their hardest to keep money on b.net and are getting greedy with their $1 + 15% or 30% total selling price profit from each trade if you are using paypal. Whatever paypal charges you after is not their concern which is 3% i believe

Comments

• mwforrestmwforrest Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I'd hardly consider this greed. Rather, I'd consider this as chinese farmers getting pwned, and hackers getting stomped. Worst case scenerio, you won't be able to use the RMAH very much. Big deal, the game does not require the use of real cash. You can get all the same items by playing normal or trading with in-game items. 
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by yutty

Prepaid Phones on pay as you go payment methods do not work.  A bunch of threads popped up today and they kept deleting a bunch of them. They deleted one that was almost 20 pages and gave my account a supesion cause i asked why that got deleted. Funny thing is it says the suspesion was for sc2 forums not diablo but anyways.

from their FAQ:

Players will be required to attach a Battle.net Authenticator, free Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, or Dial-In Authenticator (where available) in order to carry a Battle.net Balance over $100 USD (or equivalent local currency) . For more information about how to obtain an Authenticator, please visit this page.

Players who wish to use PayPal to charge up their Battle.net Balance or to “cash out” funds earned in the real-money auction house will be required to sign up for our Mobile Alerts SMS authentication service in Battle.net. When you sign up for the Mobile Alerts service, you will receive a text message on your mobile phone containing a code that you must enter on Battle.net to verify your identity. Once verification is complete, you can then move forward with your transaction. After this initial verification, you will be prompted to enter a new SMS code from time to time when accessing a feature that uses PayPal. Note that standard SMS messaging rates apply -- check with your cell phone carrier for details."

Now I know fanbois are gonna come jumping on Blizzards D***, saying "OMG its 2012 you don't have a cell phone but you can spend $60 on a game? Oh i can't wait to get the new iPad 4 its only slighly better than the ipad 3 that i have now but i need it"

Having a cellphone would cost me more than what i payed for the game. I've had a cell phone, why wasting $50 a month on something i barely used when a home phone is cheaper.

Activision/Blizzard are trying their hardest to keep money on b.net and are getting greedy with their $1 + either 12% or 27% profit from each trade since paypal only charges 3%.

I actually did the opposite, and canceled my home phone & got a CellPhone instead. I also bought 2 extra batteries that I keep charged in-case of emergencies, and I have a backup cellphone on the same "shared" plan. Costs me $50 a month for my cell phone, my backup phone, and my wife's phone. I also don't get charged "Long Distance" while calling inside the US :]!

On a side note though it doesn't REALLY effect me. I played Diablo 1 & 2 for almost ages (years in fact), but I will not be purchasing nor ever going near this travesty they labeled Diablo "3". I was angry about Diablo 3, and how poor it actually is after the Beta weekend, until I learned the dev team behind it were WoW devs. Then I nodded my head and went "Now I know why....". 

Also, as for a "Fanbois" response, I'd expect them to the tune of "Won't effect me, I won't be using the RMAH!". 

I hope that helps :)!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by mwforrest

I'd hardly consider this greed. Rather, I'd consider this as chinese farmers getting pwned, and hackers getting stomped. Worst case scenerio, you won't be able to use the RMAH very much. Big deal, the game does not require the use of real cash. You can get all the same items by playing normal or trading with in-game items. 

How is this "Chinese Farmers getting stomped", and "Hackers getting owned"?

You realize that the RMAH is NOT a measure against these two groups right? They'll continue to run their third-party sites undercutting the RMAH in order to turn a profit. 

I'm confused by your comment? Did you NOT know that the RMAH was only a grab-for-cash from Blizzard having learned the aformentioned information? Happened with StarTrek Online, and it'll happen with Diablo 3. =)

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185
    sounds like a sweet plan you have there. Right now i'm on a $10 automatic top up plan on my prepaid which i cant use for d3. Gets the job done and pretty cheap. But all this is doing is encouraging more 3rd party tradeing. Since i'm not able to sell my items through the RMAH the 3rd party sites are starting to look pretty good. Not saying i'm going to use them i rather not but if it comes down to it i donno what will happen.

Originally posted by Aori

Interesting find, I'm a blizzard 'fanboy' and I don't have a cellphone.  I'm hoping the wording is a bit off, the SMS thing I thing may be for cash outs of 100 dollars or more. If it is not then i'll be a bit upset, I can get around the 100 dollar limit.. however if i truely have to have a cellphone and there is no other option.. I might rage a bit.

the blizzard authenticator is required to have a balance of 100 or more with a max b.net balance of 250. It only says Mobile Alerts SMS (different from Blizzard authenticator) applies to trades where payment is being made by paypal or deposited to paypal. you should rage so they change this. Can't even be a prepaid cell phone, ppl have tried putting their number in and it doesn't work.

• crescens87crescens87 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

You realize that the RMAH is NOT a measure against these two groups right? They'll continue to run their third-party sites undercutting the RMAH in order to turn a profit. 

I'm confused by your comment? Did you NOT know that the RMAH was only a grab-for-cash from Blizzard having learned the aformentioned information? Happened with StarTrek Online, and it'll happen with Diablo 3. =)

The RMAH is not to completely rid the world of third party farmers but rather deter people from using their websites because you can just spend your money in game. Unlike diablo 2 if you want to spend money you have to do it through shady websites and could get banned D3 is allowing you to spend money on the same shit but in a safe environment and blizzard gets to gain some money they seemingly lose to Gold farmers for themselves.

my personal 2 cents: If you do not like game companies making money, i guess you want there to be no more quality games to play.

tl:dr RMAH is Blizzards SAFE way of selling items for real cash, and to gain alittle profit for their company.

I am sorry, I admit I was not clear and made a statement with no explanation. Allow me to share more depth:

Hackers getting owned: The fact that blizzard is requiring double authentication (both an authenticator and mobile authenticator) pretty much makes you fool proof against anyone who tries to use a keylog or some scam to get your account info. Even if they did get your info, your authenticators are constantly changing their passcodes making it nearly impossible to get in and steal your items or more importantly, your money if your deeply involved in the cash market. 

Chinese farmers getting stomped: Chinese farmers will now not only have to get accounts registered in your region (which is likely not china) they will also have to get a cell phone with a contract and an authenticator just to sell on the RMAH. That means, the RMAH will likely not be plagued with dirt cheap items found by poorly paid and mistreated chinese people. Yes, I am sure you are right, they will still have their 3rd party sites, but I would imagine most people would prefer using the more legitimate market. It is safe, reliable, and hopefully even profitable for those of us who like to "play the market" or others who just want to try to sell some really rare item they don't really need. Why not get an extra buck? As for those who don't plan on using the RMAH, this thread is irrelevant.

I'm not even going to try and argue about why its ok that blizzard gets a small cut of our sales. Just ask ebay, or paypal, or any other real money bidding service why they get to take a cut of the sales. Plus blizz is providing the bnet service for free. At least they will have some income to cover that cost in the long term, and the RMAH is definitely better than turning to 3rd party websites for buying items. 

someone on their forum read this article: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/01/diablo-3-will-let-players-buy-and-sell-items-for-real-money/

sums up to them in late 2011 saying fees will be flat rate, since "percentages really incentivise us to manipulate the system". Yet today they release AH info saying Cash Out fees are 15% to paypal & 15% on comodities goes to Activision. Paypal usually charges 3% after....

mwforrest if that doesn't hint at greed i don't know what does.....     

discusion here hope it doesn't get deleted:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4768579914

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    They just don't want accounts getting hacked because if they do with money on them, theres some huge process they will have to go through if they transfer to someones paypal that isn't the owners. I can see a shitstorm occuring otherwise, before authenticators remember how many accounts were getting hacked? After I got my authenticator and all of my friends did, we haven't gotten hacked once. I would much rather have a precaution than a horrid time losing money.

Originally posted by Aori

from their FAQ:

Activision/Blizzard are trying their hardest to keep money on b.net and are getting greedy with their $1 + either 12% or 27% profit from each trade since paypal only charges 3%.

I actually did the opposite, and canceled my home phone & got a CellPhone instead. I also bought 2 extra batteries that I keep charged in-case of emergencies, and I have a backup cellphone on the same "shared" plan. Costs me $50 a month for my cell phone, my backup phone, and my wife's phone. I also don't get charged "Long Distance" while calling inside the US :]!

On a side note though it doesn't REALLY effect me. I played Diablo 1 & 2 for almost ages (years in fact), but I will not be purchasing nor ever going near this travesty they labeled Diablo "3". I was angry about Diablo 3, and how poor it actually is after the Beta weekend, until I learned the dev team behind it were WoW devs. Then I nodded my head and went "Now I know why....". 

Also, as for a "Fanbois" response, I'd expect them to the tune of "Won't effect me, I won't be using the RMAH!". 

I hope that helps :)!

You have an anger problem, also a majority of lead/senior devs from D3 are from D2. Thanks for getting your facts straight.

Just because you think Blizzard can do no wrong doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same way. Similarly, saying I'm "raging" over a video game is a rather childish way to attack my position.

Also, you should double check on those "Lead/Senior" dev leads from D2 that are in D3. None of them had any real impact or decision making process with Diablo 2. As i last recall, the Lead Dev for Diablo 3 had a VERY minor role in Diablo 2's development (lesser position?).

Either way, those around me as well as myself feel Diablo 3 is a shadow compared to it's predecessors, and that it was made for the WoW Fanbase. There's no hostility or rage there, simply disappointment. 

Thank you =)

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Activision/Blizzard are trying their hardest to keep money on b.net and are getting greedy with their $1 + 15% or 30% total selling price profit from each trade if you are using paypal. Whatever paypal charges you after is not their concern which is 3% i believe

Paypal fees might be higher than 3%..

The thing is.. 30% is too much, mainly on high priced items. If you ignore their auction house and say use Ebay or somethign like that, youll get almost 100% out of it wihtout cash cap ( looks like Blizz going to apply a price cap of $250 or w/e per item wich is low ). If i recall back in D2 you could sell items for around $1000.. and that was a few years back.

Using a cellphone for security reasons in the 21st century is ok i think.. the problem here is really the 30%.. its just too much.

At the moment, most of the people interested in D3 are interested not for the game itself, but mainly for the prospect of making a few bucks out of their gaming time.

Path of Exile dev team has already posted they will use real cash auction houses in their game, but with low fees.. and they have a very good game beeing developed... some even say the game will be better than d3 ( me included )

Furthermore, i think the close future of mmo gaming will be related to real cash auction houses.. where the taxes paid for sellign somthing will be very important in what game players will choose. If Blizzard  really wants their game to be a huge hit, they need to lower those taxes to something around 5% and thats it. More and its just beeing greedy.. and people dont like greedy companies.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Wait what? You guys dont have a cell phone? Oooooookkkkkkkkk!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• lenyboblenybob Member Posts: 62

cell phones as a security device are a bad idea. mostly because we aren't in japan and there isn't a ton of security stuff on them.

i get they use cell phones as security because you can tell the nation the cell belongs to and the region as well... but having your financial info on an easy to access peice of technology is like having your bank in your wallet.

i don't have a cell, $50 a month is $600 a year... basically equivalent to buying a good computer every 3rd year. but beyond the cost... it isn't secure. with WoW/blizzard account merge you just get problems. now if you have kids and they play wow they can also access the funds of your D3 without your permission. if the kid is young... it is like having itunes or an app store with one click purchases.

and before someone responds "good parents wouldn't let young kids play wow"... there is no such thing as a good parent. the majority don't ever read the ESRB target market ratings, or think it doesn't apply to their kid...

it could be handled really elegantly, but doesn't sound like it will.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    People, read the freaking text please. It's right there copy and pasted in the OP for crying out loud.

You need a cell phone OR an authenticator to use paypal. The word OR. IT HAS MEANING.

Also, you can carry a balance of $100 without doing any of that crap. Hmm an authenticator or non-burner phone verification required for large balances. Almost sounds like....a security measure to protect your money!

Sheesh. Someone posts something with a misleading topic. Noone reads the actual link. Everyone freaks out and starts spreading the lie. Panic ensues. Where have I seen that before? Oh yeah! All over these forums!

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Oh I see. Haha I'm the one that didn't read. Yeah cell phone tocash out to paypal.

It was even highlighted for me. Deep.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• MisterpuppyMisterpuppy Member Posts: 18
    I think we are almost to the point where we bury our money in cans in the backyard and pay for things with chickens. I haven't used Paypal in years. But I always felt safe using it.

Don't be a Menace to MMORPG While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Originally posted by dubyahite

People, read the freaking text please. It's right there copy and pasted in the OP for crying out loud.

You need a cell phone OR an authenticator to use paypal. The word OR. IT HAS MEANING.

Also, you can carry a balance of $100 without doing any of that crap. Hmm an authenticator or non-burner phone verification required for large balances. Almost sounds like....a security measure to protect your money!

Sheesh. Someone posts something with a misleading topic. Noone reads the actual link. Everyone freaks out and starts spreading the lie. Panic ensues. Where have I seen that before? Oh yeah! All over these forums!

+1

I was going to post something but you pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. Oh Noes, they want to provide security for my money!!! Whatever shall we do.

Here is an idea. Dont friggin play it if you hate it so much. A weird idea I know.

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Paypal fees might be higher than 3%..

The thing is.. 30% is too much, mainly on high priced items. If you ignore their auction house and say use Ebay or somethign like that, youll get almost 100% out of it wihtout cash cap ( looks like Blizz going to apply a price cap of $250 or w/e per item wich is low ). If i recall back in D2 you could sell items for around $1000.. and that was a few years back.

Using a cellphone for security reasons in the 21st century is ok i think.. the problem here is really the 30%.. its just too much.

At the moment, most of the people interested in D3 are interested not for the game itself, but mainly for the prospect of making a few bucks out of their gaming time.

Path of Exile dev team has already posted they will use real cash auction houses in their game, but with low fees.. and they have a very good game beeing developed... some even say the game will be better than d3 ( me included )

Furthermore, i think the close future of mmo gaming will be related to real cash auction houses.. where the taxes paid for sellign somthing will be very important in what game players will choose. If Blizzard  really wants their game to be a huge hit, they need to lower those taxes to something around 5% and thats it. More and its just beeing greedy.. and people dont like greedy companies.

First to clear something up about the 30%:

RMAH

If you sell equipment:

• Transaction fee: 1$ (flat rate)

• Paypal transfer fee (15%)

If you sell commodities (gems, materials, dyes, pages, recipes, and other non-unique items):

• Transaction fee: (15%)

• Paypal transfer fee (15%)

The 30% only applies to commodities. If your trying to sell that legendary windforce for 200 dollars, they only take 1$ from you. Then, if you choose to transfer the money to paypal, they take only 15% of 199 dollars. 

"At the moment, most of the people interested in D3 are interested not for the game itself, but mainly for the prospect of making a few bucks out of their gaming time."

I completely disagree. There is no way anyone could possibly know this short of doing some massive polling. I think that if the game sucks, no one will want to play it regardless of whether or not they can make a few extra bucks. I am sure -some- will play for the prospect of making money, but I think the majority want to play it just because they love Diablo. Making a few bucks out of your gaming time is a waste if you aren't enjoying your gaming time. I bet most people won't even be making much money off of the RMAH. 

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Moved post to different forum.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

They aren't trying to protect consumers. They saw how much money was in the secondary market and said hey, why shouldn't we get that? And you can imagine that they will be watching this closely to see if people accept it, so they can push RMAH even further into their other products.

I'm amazed at people saying things like "If you don't like it don't use it" or "Blizz is trying to protect us" or "This is to crush gold farmers." This strikes me as naive. Blizz is a company trying to make money, and they're looking for ways to monetize everything. First it was in-game mounts, then it was in-game pets, then paid name/race change, then paid character transfer, then paid guild server transfers, then BOE in-game pets that you could sell for gold, and now their crowning achievement RMAH. If people accept this in this game, would you accept it in WoW? In Titan?

I haven't personally decided if I like the RMAH or not. However, I haven't really thought of any reasons against it. 

What about Blizzard making money bothers you so much? Would you rather have the chinese farmers take all the money? The chinese farmers give nothing back, except maybe cheaper items if your one of those people who support that business. 

Atleast if Blizzard is making the money they will use it to make more content for their games and to fund new games that tons of people enjoy. I've personally loved every game Blizzard has made and would like to see them going strong. 

Additionally, the RMAH only effects those of us who use it. And furthermore, the items you will be selling on the RMAH you will find for free just by playing the game. Its as if someone has given you a money tree, and in return all they ask is a small cut everytime you harvest it. 

I think RMAH may have a future in gaming, and thats not necessarily a bad thing. Philosophically we have said time is money. Time is the currency of everything, since time is the only thing we really have, and its very limited. Life is short and therefore time is valuable. Whether you use digital currency or real life currency in the end they're both = to some amount of time that you took to earn it. What we call real or fake is all just an illusion. In the end its just time. So the question is would you like to use the time market, or the time market? Choose the market in which your time is most valuable, and enjoy the game.

• dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77

The reason why there is a percentage on stackable items is because say I want to sell 10000 at 200 bucks that is .02 per gold the way the ah works is

Person a buys 100 gold for 2bucks

person b buys 200 gold for 4 bucks

person c buys 100 gold for 2 bucks

person d buys 1000 for 20 bucks

and so on and so forth well each of those transactions would be charged 1 dollar with the flat rate system but with a percentage based system It will only cost 30 bucks for me to sale all of it.

Now I can promise you that if it was a flat rate system I would straight up buy 1 gold piece for .02 cents that way you would have to pay .98 cents for me to take your one gold.

I hope everyone understands this.

The paypal transfer fee is more than likely not all blizz's doing and the amount of security they are putting into it will not be cheap.

Bottom line if you want to just throw away your money on some third party companies site don't be the one crying when you get scammed out of your stuff.

or

If you don't like it don't use it, you are not a capable enough player to make a living playing a video game now please get over it and find a more responsible way to pay your bills.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Wouldn't any cell phone work, so long as it can receive text messages?
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

from their FAQ:

It doesn't say anything about a monthly bill.  I spend 30$ every two months for my cell phone.  It is pre-paid, I use it to call the wife if i'm running late or at the store and can't remember something we need.  It sends and receives text messages just fine, it take off half a minute of time to receive one.  So, no, you don't need a monthly bill, pre-paid works just fine, unless you left something out that gives a reason why they wouldn't work.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

sounds like a sweet plan you have there. Right now i'm on a $10 automatic top up plan on my prepaid which i cant use for d3. Gets the job done and pretty cheap. But all this is doing is encouraging more 3rd party tradeing. Since i'm not able to sell my items through the RMAH the 3rd party sites are starting to look pretty good. Not saying i'm going to use them i rather not but if it comes down to it i donno what will happen.

Why can't you use it for D3?  My pre-paid phone can send and receive text messages, it simply deducts half a minute of talk time for reading one or sending one.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

"At the moment, most of the people interested in D3 are interested not for the game itself, but mainly for the prospect of making a few bucks out of their gaming time."

This is based on what exactly? That is false if anything is. I know many friends, family & guildmates who will be buying D3 and have no intention of even using the auction house with real money. I know my circle does not represent the whole. But a statement like this was honestly just pulled out of your ass and landed on the forums.

No offense.