Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat: TERA v. GW2. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106

Originally posted by Deolus

Originally posted by bruuss

Originally posted by Deolus

*snip*

Note I created this poll to discuss the combat, if you want to discuss the game as a whole or other aspects outside of combat, you're in the wrong thread.

You are right of course, I shouldn't have posted off-topic and I apologize. I will edit my original post.

No problem, not trying to be an ass to anyone giving input, just want to keep it mostly on topic.  Thanks!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Im sorry but TERA's combat is highly superior. Aiming every skill is not only much more fun, but takes loads more skill.  [Mod Edit]

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Im sorry but TERA's combat is highly superior.

We are trying to have a discussion, maybe some more thoughts would be nice image

Originally posted by Kuppa

Im sorry but TERA's combat is highly superior.

We are trying to have a discussion, maybe some more thoughts would be nice image

edited.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

GW2's and TERA's combat are vastly different from another.

That said, both are vastly different from traditional MMO's combat as well.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Eir_S

Im sorry but TERA's combat is highly superior. Aiming every skill is not only much more fun, but takes loads more skill.  The only reason this poll will be won by GW2 is because there are way more GW2 fanboys on here then people with honest opinions.

That's not very constructive, buddy.  How do you know that most people don't prefer GW2's combat?  Because you don't?  Sorry but that's kind of arrogant.

I dont know how much you are on these forums, but I think its apparent to anyone who signs in on a daily basis that GW2 has a ridiculous amount of fanboys.  Now im not a GW2 hater, I actually like the game alot.  Just facing facts.

No you're not, you're calling people dishonest because they don't subscribe to the same idea you do.  That's nothing to do with facts.  You don't have any statistics on who is or isn't being honest, so add something to the discussion or leave.

False.  Obviously for discussion one person's opinion is only ment to contribute to said discussion, I stated why TERA's combat was superior for me, There was my contribution.  As far as the poll comment goes once again, I know for fact if you were ignorant enough to go out and find the amount of people that will support GW2 to death and not pay attention to facts vs. the amount that will do those for TERA, GW2 would be the winner. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

GW2 but both are good.

Teras combat system can evolve into something very interesting if they put enough love into it, it is a pretty good game but I felt more blood and guts in GW2.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone unbias on these forums, I think you may aswell ask what game do you prefer GW2 or TERA and your results would be the same. I have not played Guild Wars 2, I have watched Beta Weekend streams (I would never pay for a game to play the beta) and I have my own opinion on it whatever it may be. But, having not experience it personally I can't make any sound observations that would be worth sharing - So I won't even talk about GW2 combat.

People will say anything from TERA is clunky to animation locked to terrible, the combat system isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. But, people do love to exaggerate and now a days it seems like a scale of 1-10 only actually includes 1, 7 and 10. Because I like the combat in TERA you can take everything I say as driven in bias, I am ofcoursed biased into liking Tera's combat because I like TERA's combat - It's a vested interest.

People don't understand why there is Animation lock, they think you should have full control of your character at all times. If you don't like animation lock (there are a multitude of games that are designed to include it) then you won't like this combat system, chances are you don't like action games in general. I like animation lock for the following reasons :

- It makes attacks more tangible, being able to hurl spells while running just feels implausible a warrior would realistically have momentum to consider.

- It makes landing your attacks more important.

- It's helps balance the classes.

I know that in World of Warcraft melee characters did not have charge attacks and they could auto-attack and do w/e in the space of a few milliseconds, perhaps you don't want realism in your combat - Personally I enjoy it.

The combat for me reminds me of a less fluid more simplistic (for ranged characters) version of Demon's Souls - And I particularly love that being that DeS and DaS are two of my favorite games.

This also allows me to enjoy boss battles much more, the bosses can be more active and you can have more opportunity to avoid attacks and play intelligently as opposed to having pre-fixed damage or your health going down randomly without you understanding why.

Combat to me is a lot clearer and visceral than in other MMO's, in almost every other MMO I've played (Save Top-Down 2.5D asian MMO's (Legends of Mir etc.)) and I just much prefer it. It's cleaner and it's how it should look, I shouldn't have to look at it from a numbers perspective and know that, that pathetic attack animation and the direction he is facing means that he is taking damage.

I can see what is happening and not rely on meta-information to interpret what is happening.

I haven't had that much experience with PvP so I can't really say, the fights I've had I've very much enjoyed and I look forward to learning new skills and having more dynamic fights in the future. 

GW2 won't be out for a while and I like TERA so I'll play TERA and I'll try GW2 when it's finished.

If anyone is reading this thread because they are interested in either game I would take all the opinions with a grain of salt, not everybody has the good grace to tell you that they haven't had enough experience playing a game to judge it - They would much rather say it is terrible to promote their own game over it.

Hi

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Jayaris

I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone unbias on these forums, I think you may aswell ask what game do you prefer GW2 or TERA and your results would be the same. I have not played Guild Wars 2, I have watched Beta Weekend streams (I would never pay for a game to play the beta) and I have my own opinion on it whatever it may be. But, having not experience it personally I can't make any sound observations that would be worth sharing - So I won't even talk about GW2 combat.

People will say anything from TERA is clunky to animation locked to terrible, the combat system isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. But, people do love to exaggerate and now a days it seems like a scale of 1-10 only actually includes 1, 7 and 10. Because I like the combat in TERA you can take everything I say as driven in bias, I am ofcoursed biased into liking Tera's combat because I like TERA's combat - It's a vested interest.

People don't understand why there is Animation lock, they think you should have full control of your character at all times. If you don't like animation lock (there are a multitude of games that are designed to include it) then you won't like this combat system, chances are you don't like action games in general. I like animation lock for the following reasons :

- It makes attacks more tangible, being able to hurl spells while running just feels implausible a warrior would realistically have momentum to consider.

I know that in World of Warcraft melee characters did not have charge attacks and they could auto-attack and do w/e in the space of a few milliseconds, perhaps you don't want realism in your combat - Personally I enjoy it.

The combat for me reminds me of a less fluid more simplistic (for ranged characters) version of Demon's Souls - And I particularly love that being that DeS and DaS are two of my favorite games.

This also allows me to enjoy boss battles much more, the bosses can be more active and you can have more opportunity to avoid attacks and play intelligently as opposed to having pre-fixed damage or your health going down randomly without you understanding why.

Combat to me is a lot clearer and visceral than in other MMO's, in almost every other MMO I've played (Save Top-Down 2.5D asian MMO's (Legends of Mir etc.)) and I just much prefer it. It's cleaner and it's how it should look, I shouldn't have to look at it from a numbers perspective and know that, that pathetic attack animation and the direction he is facing means that he is taking damage.

I can see what is happening and not rely on meta-information to interpret what is happening.

I haven't had that much experience with PvP so I can't really say, the fights I've had I've very much enjoyed and I look forward to learning new skills and having more dynamic fights in the future. 

GW2 won't be out for a while and I like TERA so I'll play TERA and I'll try GW2 when it's finished.

If anyone is reading this thread because they are interested in either game I would take all the opinions with a grain of salt, not everybody has the good grace to tell you that they haven't had enough experience playing a game to judge it - They would much rather say it is terrible to promote their own game over it.

I do like Tera's combat, although I do believe it could be better. The question I have is, how many action games like you mention, have ranged combat were you can aim, have skills and cooldowns??

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I voted GW2, but both are good.  Playing as a Axe/Axe or Sword/Axe and Rifle Warrior.  It was full of action and intensity during PvE and V8.  It was very fluid for my big, agile Charr. ( They really feel heavy while playing them, yet so damn nimble :P )

For Tera, the game has a good combat system, but it only shows during BAM or PVP fights.  Normal fights with regular mobs is pretty boring.  Unlike GW2 where regular mobs have a pretty good chance of killing you if you slip up.

It is pretty hard for me to go back to TERA after playing GW2.  However, TERA is a good game in its own right.  It is just GW2 spoiled me alittle right now.

BOOYAKA!

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Jayaris

Well put good sir. 

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407
    Stay on topic and do not personally attack other users.
  • BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

There is no way that a person that has played both games can say that GW2's combat is better.  ArenaNet came out themselves and admitted their melee specs aren't up to par. You hear people in Tera complaining that there range can't kite melee or get owned all the time in PvP/PvE? No you do not because Blue Hole spent a whole year making sure there combat worked.  Now I'm not going to say that ArenaNet won't ever fix their combat mechanics by release so that it will be more fun, but right now the difference is night and day.

I can't even say that to be honest, because in terms of PvE,  both GW2 and Tera's combat are extremely fun. Being able to see an attack and dodge out of the way at the last second is extremely refreshing, and both games have implemented it very well.  But the dodge mechanic completely falls apart in GW2's PvP thanks to tab targetting and AoE spam, and there has been a lot of complaints about it.

People that keep complaining about Tera's animation lock really speaks volumes about their lack of knowledge of the game, the truth is that Tera's melee (and ranged) classes, and dodge mechanics work very well in both PvP and PvE, while ArenaNet still has a lot of work to do to get up to speed.  I know that GW2 is ranged DPS heaven right now and a lot of people who tell you that GW2's combat is better then Tera, are really Ranged DPS players that don't want their game balanced. However that's perfectly fine with me, that's just more subs $$$ to Tera for people that are looking for more variety in their combat MMO.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

My view without reading this thread:

Not being a real fan of either, but after playing both GW2 and TERA myself, TERA with the no tab target system holds the upper hand on innovative. And no  I'm not saying they invented it but compared to number of tab target MMOs it almost feels like.

Personaly, at first I had a hard time in TERA and getting rooted through skill animations, but if you give it a chance and learn it's actualy quite nice system.

GW2 - when I tried, I felt like home. It plays exactly like WoW or other themepark games with the added dodging.

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

there is no comparison....fangirls need to ACCEPT that

GW2 is another tab target system

tera combat and pvp is by far the best end of story

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Sinaku

This forum is full of GW2 fanboys its easy to guess that the poll would have GW2 winning with it being clunky and sluggish as hell

pretty much this 

even if the gw2 fangirls tried tera till cap wich was 38 and thought tera has better combat (wich it does simple as that)

they would stil lvote for gw2...true story

gw2 fangirls are worse than wow fans

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

GW 2 is Tera with no animation locks and aiming via mouse

Tera has good lengthy anims

GW 2 simple anims nice visuals

Tera and GW 2 both action

GW 2 how ever is a hybrid

I'm not saying which one is better

Truth be told you can in fact play both without touching tab button like I did. I didn't touch the tab key at all while playing both.

If you like using tab target combat you can do so in GW 2. if you like auto attack you can if you wish do so in GW 2.

That's just being honest and to the point with facts.

Oh and Tera combat is not bad nor is GW 2 BOTH bring something new I assume far as combat.

Advice to haters toward either game, live life, both game can prosper both are action, both require skill.

Take care and enjoy yourselves.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• rpg123rpg123 Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by RizelStar

GW 2 is Tera with no animation locks and aiming via mouse

Tera has good lengthy anims

GW 2 simple anims nice visuals

Tera and GW 2 both action

GW 2 how ever is a hybrid

I'm not saying which one is better

Truth be told you can in fact play both without touching tab button like I did. I didn't touch the tab key at all while playing both.

If you like using tab target combat you can do so in GW 2. if you like auto attack you can if you wish do so in GW 2.

That's just being honest and to the point with facts.

Take care and enjoy yourselves.

Never before have I ever read such an objective post on this site. Well done! I'm prolly gonna end up playing GW2, but I have nothing against Tera.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I played a guardian in gw2 and I'm leveling a lancer in Tera. In Tera I feel like there are skill rotations that I favor but like another guy before me said it doesn't always go down like that. You have to adjust mid fight a lot of times but often I just restart the rotations again. Some mobs have different moves so you adjust rotations again for certain creatures. Havent fought too many bams but the ones i did weren't much different.

The difference I saw in gw2 was that my abilities all did relatively the same damage only they all had situational perks tied to them so rather than rotations I actually had to think about what I was doing. Sure the hammer had big hit but it also had cool down and a big wind up. The two hits I coulda auto attacked in that time prob wouldve dealt similar damage although I think the big hit did a little something extra.

In the end as it currently stands I favor gw2 if just for thought process alone but I haven't reached Tera's endgame yet so who knows.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

I didn't vote because I haven't played GW2 yet.  I do admit that I've been waiting for GW2 and Tera hasn't been on my radar until I played the open beta.

It took some getting used to the "animation lock" in Tera, but as a previous poster explained, it felt more realistic in that I wasn't swinging this giant weapon then stopping in mid-motion.  If I tried, I'd guess that I should fall over on the groud in my attempt to fight the momentum.  I know, realism in a fantasy game is not the best arguement to make but I think Tera's combat takes more skill than bunnyhoppy and running through people.  You have to decide if you have the time to use that really big skill or if you need to put yourself in a better position.  You can, however, rotate in place for some skills to adjust your aim so depending on the skill you are not completely locked out.

My main melee experience in Tera comes from mainly playing a berzerker, which might be the most "animation locked" of the classes (I only tried 3 classes, so this is partially based on watching others play other classes).  Once I got used to the change, I did enjoy it.  However, at that level I was using a fairly consistent rotation of skills.  I've read a lot of posts saying that melee gets a lot more challenging and situational at higher levels, but I didn't see that at my level.  Also, the targetting didn't seem to be as necessary at the level I was playing because most attacks hit an area. I couldn't tell if having the target on a location cause more damage or increased crit chances.  That's not to say I could face away from the target and still hit, but I rarely missed the target if they weren't dodging.

This is all coming from someone that is not a fanboy of Tera.  (I'm not an anime fan, so the general style of the game was not my thing -- while the combat was fun, the game as a whole didn't convince me to buy it.)  I agree with others giving positive comments about Tera combat -- you're better off playing and judging for yourself.  As others might have warned, it it slow starting off in Tera as you don't really get the cool / powerful skills right away.  That might have been the biggest turn-off to players that popped in on the open beta then quit only 30 minutes later.

I'm still looking forward to trying GW2, so I'll see how it really stacks up to Tera combat... someday.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I enjoyed GW2 during the beta weekend but I think I'm going to get Tera.

Just to play it while waiting on GW2 (which is still a couple of months away), or maybe more, I don't know yet.

• FreyaVPFreyaVP Member Posts: 7

I'm curious what people as a whole think about the combat (And ONLY combat) between TERA and GW2.  Obvious bugs and such aside, which do you think is "better", and why?  Of course, there will be preferences that are subjective, but that's ok, games, and fun are subjective in nature by default so that's expected.  Looking forward to the discussion and keep it civil please!

Edit: Ok added a poll for simplicity sake, but the discussion is more important IMO. =)

GW2 is basically the same as any dumb mmo on the market.

tera is better by far.

• ta_erogta_erog Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by FreyaVP

I'm curious what people as a whole think about the combat (And ONLY combat) between TERA and GW2.  Obvious bugs and such aside, which do you think is "better", and why?  Of course, there will be preferences that are subjective, but that's ok, games, and fun are subjective in nature by default so that's expected.  Looking forward to the discussion and keep it civil please!

Edit: Ok added a poll for simplicity sake, but the discussion is more important IMO. =)

GW2 is basically the same as any dumb mmo on the market.

tera is better by far.

Useless statements like that do not add anything to the conversation.  

Both systems are different either are that similar to "normal" MMOs.

Both have good points and bad but what ONLY counts is that it works for the GAME that it was made for, other then that it is Apples and oranges and personal preferances.

• SalendrakSalendrak Member Posts: 7

I haven't played GW2, but am subbed to TERA and have been playing it since the 2nd closed beta test.

And I absolutely LOVE it!

Yes, the combat does start out slow in the early levels, mobs are easy to dodge, or don't do enough damage that failing to dodge matters.  These are the early levels though and are meant to be rediculously easy so that people can get acclimated to the game.  Consequently, anyone who is reviewing TERA's combat system based on the starter island really hasn't experience TERA's combat yet, and has no business judging the game as a whole based on this limited perspective.  And if you're judging TERA by what you've seen in videos somewhere, even end-game videos, you really have no idea what the experience of playing the game is like.

That said, the combat system in TERA really start to get good at around level 20, when you have more skills, BAMs become available, and you can do the first real instance.  And it doesn't take very long to get there.  I've only gotten a character up to level 35 so far, but the difficulty continues to ramp up, and I'm really looking forward to end-game content.  Monsters keep getting faster, they come in groups more often, and you really have to pay attention to what's going on.  You can't just fall into a mind-numbing rotation of skills.  You have to act, react, and adjust to the circumstances, all while being situationally aware of your surroundings to you don't accidently dodge into another group or idle BAM nearby.  Hella fun stuff!

Group play and fighting against BAM's and world bosses is a TON of fun!  The other day I was with a group fighting some BAMs for a quest, and we accidentally pulled a second one.  Having to keep our eyes out for two of these things really upped the ante, and although we had several deaths (including our healer, but all characters can carry 20-minute cooldown res scrolls) we were able to get people back up and eventually took them both down.

After that we tried a world boss that had spawned, and had a similar experience - lots of deaths, barely pulled things back together, and after 10 to 15 minutes of crazy fun combat, we took it down.  Quicly commenced by lots of cheering!

Again, I can't comment on GW2 because I haven't had a chance to play it, but TERA has basically met everything I've been looking for in an MMO for years and I am completely loving it!

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    I love Tera's combat system. Way better then the old tab targeting system. As for Guild Wars 2, I have yet to try it. But I doubt it will be better then Tera's. Why did they choose the "hybrid" system instead of the true "action" one?