Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Combat: TERA v. GW2. Your thoughts?

2456714

Comments

  • XzenXzen Los Alamos, NMPosts: 2,607Member Common

    Originally posted by MMOExposed

    Originally posted by Deolus

    I haven't touched Tera as I don't like the way it sexually portrays its characters.

    So you have not given me any option to vote for.

    I dont understand people's hatred of this. In many cultures they embrace that. Why the hate?

    Cause sex is bad Mmmkay? But killing everything that moves is fine.

  • DanielVEDanielVE Sao PauloPosts: 46Member

    TERA! It sux at the begining lvls but get so good when you are 30+.  I really love it.

     

    That being said, i also like GW2 combat system, better than most mmos out there.

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon

    I prefer GW2's combat, but I find Tera's combat entertaining also. The reason I prefer GW2's combat is because I felt that I was making more desicions and really needed to understand what all of my skills actually did and in the case of the Ele what attunement to use for the right time. Also, the movement is key in GW2 and for me that was the biggest lack in Tera's combat. I also found the pve in GW2 to be way harder(even though this is not necessarily correlated to combat), from 1 through 25 I felt like I cruised through Tera. Not the case in GW2's 1 through 15.

    In Tera's combat the aiming is essentially the best part. The skills are interesting but not as interesting as GW2's, at least the ones I ran into. Combat awereness is pretty important also which is good, but that counts for both games. The biggest let down for me in Tera's combat was the animation lock. I've already posted in other threads as to why but here we go again...

    Many compare Tera to other action rpgs or action games(Nija Gaiden, DMC, Street Fighter, ect..) I can maybe see some small similarities in temrs of the melee classes but nothing to back any comparisons with ranged classes. To start off, in those games you rarely do range, and when you do you don't have to aim. You don't even have to aim in melee combat. You swing/hit/shoot at a specific target or at whatever is next to you in those action games. In Tera you have to aim and that is the main difference. That, and the fact that Tera has skills and cooldowns also makes it completely different from those games...

    That is why I find Tera's ranged clases more akin to RE5 and its shoot only standing still than those action combat games. It basically limits the "action" part of the combat since you have to stand still way too much. Now with that said the combat is still fun, but for me it could have been better.

    image


    image

  • MorcelllMorcelll El Campo, TXPosts: 407Member

    Originally posted by Jimmydean

    The most frustrating thing as a melee player is when range are able to kite me with no consequences. Ever fight a Frost Mage in WoW? Now imagine every ranged class feeling like a Frost Mage in GW2. That's what the PVP was like. 

    In TERA, the action lock makes it so casters have to choose their abilities wisely as well as melee. It's more about choosing your skills and when to use them, than running away and spamming 1 ala GW2.

    This couldn't be further from the truth.  Melee does very very well in this game, but I've seen a lot of people complain about it.  It actually drove me to make a quick video on the last day to show my experience with melee. 

    Here's the video if you want to watch how melee functions quite fine in PvP, and you may notice some server lag from time to time.  That was one of the major issues of the beta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAi_2_eCf_A

  • doragon86doragon86 Boston, MAPosts: 589Member

    Originally posted by Vunak23

    Originally posted by Verterdegete

     

    Actually, GW2 is quite a bit more difficult than TERA...

    Validate it instead of throwing out worthless comments like this

     

     


    Originally posted by Airwren

    It's interesting that you make the comments that you do in regards to the rotation for skills in Tera.  If the game is how you describe it I have yet to see it play that way.  Watched a level 40ish slayer play for about 4 hours last night and it was the same process the whole time.  Gather up mobs, AOE, never go below 50% health, rinse and repeat.  Got on Twitch today and watched a 30ish priest do exactly the same thing the slayer did.  The combat didn't require any thought or tactics whatsoever.  I'm not saying the combat isn't good, it just isn't at all what you are describing here. 

    Like I said. Preferred rotation. A smart slayer will use Whirlwind > Overhand > Knockdown > Overhand > Heart Strike > Overhand. AoE grinding is a valid way to grind but it isn't as fast as BAMing. So yes there is mindless grinding in TERA like in every other game. But it is NOT efficient.

    And a slayer that doesnt go below 50% hp is a bad slayer. Very bad slayer.

     

    In instances, BAMing and PvP the main forms of TERA you cant faceroll like in GW2.

     

    I could counter your argument by saying the only thing I saw when watching a massive amount of GW2 streams for 4+ hours was people spamming the 1 key. And it would be true. The only thing I saw people doing was spamming 1. The difference between Gw2 and TERA. It was working in GW2. Do it in TERA and you will get raped by everything in game.

    So you want that person to validate his comment like you validated your facerolling comment in regards to GW2? Quit acting like a fanboy and view both games objectively. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses. This is part of the reason I stopped reading one of your last posts, as it clearly showed you hadn't played the game. So why talk about something you have no experience with short of whatever video you may have seen, and henceforth decided to base all your opinion on?

    "For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

  • ta_erogta_erog boston, MAPosts: 34Member

    You Do realize that "spaming" the 1 key in guildwars 2 does not happen right?? 

    That the 1 key for almost all weapons and skills is auto attack right?  And then while autoattacking you then do other skills and dodge which does take skill to use correctly . . . .right??  

    Just checking . .

  • OpapanaxOpapanax Rochester, NYPosts: 973Member
    I think both combat systems are fun. My lean goes towards GW2 though. The weapon swapping gives it the push..

    PM before you report at least or you could just block.

  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member

    Originally posted by ta_erog

    You Do realize that "spaming" the 1 key in guildwars 2 does not happen right?? 

    That the 1 key for almost all weapons and skills is auto attack right?  And then while autoattacking you then do other skills and dodge which does take skill to use correctly . . . .right??  

    Just checking . .

    And you do realize that rotations dont happen in TERA right? I watched videos of people spamming one just as he watched videos of people using rotations in TERA. Either both happened or neither happened.

    "In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member

    Originally posted by doragon86

    Originally posted by Vunak23

    Originally posted by Verterdegete

     

    Actually, GW2 is quite a bit more difficult than TERA...

    Validate it instead of throwing out worthless comments like this

     

     


    Originally posted by Airwren

    It's interesting that you make the comments that you do in regards to the rotation for skills in Tera.  If the game is how you describe it I have yet to see it play that way.  Watched a level 40ish slayer play for about 4 hours last night and it was the same process the whole time.  Gather up mobs, AOE, never go below 50% health, rinse and repeat.  Got on Twitch today and watched a 30ish priest do exactly the same thing the slayer did.  The combat didn't require any thought or tactics whatsoever.  I'm not saying the combat isn't good, it just isn't at all what you are describing here. 

    Like I said. Preferred rotation. A smart slayer will use Whirlwind > Overhand > Knockdown > Overhand > Heart Strike > Overhand. AoE grinding is a valid way to grind but it isn't as fast as BAMing. So yes there is mindless grinding in TERA like in every other game. But it is NOT efficient.

    And a slayer that doesnt go below 50% hp is a bad slayer. Very bad slayer.

     

    In instances, BAMing and PvP the main forms of TERA you cant faceroll like in GW2.

     

    I could counter your argument by saying the only thing I saw when watching a massive amount of GW2 streams for 4+ hours was people spamming the 1 key. And it would be true. The only thing I saw people doing was spamming 1. The difference between Gw2 and TERA. It was working in GW2. Do it in TERA and you will get raped by everything in game.

    So you want that person to validate his comment like you validated your facerolling comment in regards to GW2? Quit acting like a fanboy and view both games objectively. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses. This is part of the reason I stopped reading one of your last posts, as it clearly showed you hadn't played the game. So why talk about something you have no experience with short of whatever video you may have seen, and henceforth decided to base all your opinion on?

     

    I validated my argument with details of how TERA actually works. There was no context to his post.

    "In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Vunak23

    Originally posted by ta_erog

    You Do realize that "spaming" the 1 key in guildwars 2 does not happen right?? 

    That the 1 key for almost all weapons and skills is auto attack right?  And then while autoattacking you then do other skills and dodge which does take skill to use correctly . . . .right??  

    Just checking . .

    And you do realize that rotations dont happen in TERA right? I watched videos of people spamming one just as he watched videos of people using rotations in TERA. Either both happened or neither happened.

    I don't know what class you played but rotations do happen in Tera...and the videos you saw of GW2 probably had the 1 in auto attack. The fact is that both games have rotations, its how skill based games work. But I found myself breaking the rotation way more in GW2 than in Tera.

    image


    image

  • RCP_utRCP_ut ...Posts: 263Member

    Originally posted by WardTheGreat

    Originally posted by Jimmydean

    The most frustrating thing as a melee player is when range are able to kite me with no consequences. Ever fight a Frost Mage in WoW? Now imagine every ranged class feeling like a Frost Mage in GW2. That's what the PVP was like. 

    In TERA, the action lock makes it so casters have to choose their abilities wisely as well as melee. It's more about choosing your skills and when to use them, than running away and spamming 1 ala GW2.

    This couldn't be further from the truth.  Melee does very very well in this game, but I've seen a lot of people complain about it.  It actually drove me to make a quick video on the last day to show my experience with melee. 

    Here's the video if you want to watch how melee functions quite fine in PvP, and you may notice some server lag from time to time.  That was one of the major issues of the beta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAi_2_eCf_A

    Very nice, thats a melee very well played. I havent played a melee in 1st beta but i plan do to next beta.

  • AirwrenAirwren Normal, ILPosts: 646Member

    Originally posted by Jimmydean

    Originally posted by Airwren

    Originally posted by Verterdegete

    Originally posted by Vunak23

     

     

    You can't faceroll your way through the game like you can in GW2.

     

     

    Actually, GW2 is quite a bit more difficult than TERA...

    Agreed, I have yet to watch anyone be "challenged" by anything I've seen in Tera so far.  The levelling and questing is most definitely facerolling from what I've seen.  Having said that I have yet to see any large scale pvp or end game raids where things might actually be difficult.  Anyone whose claiming that combat in Tera is a challenge (at least as far as levelling is concerned) is either a terribad or flat out lying.

    So you've watched Tera but not played it. Makes sense that you have no clue what you are talking about.

    If you're here to try and claim that somehow the live game footage I'm watching isn't a good representation of the levelling process in Tera I think it's you who don't know what you're talking about.  Christ even Bill Murphy whose one of the staff writers here mentions that in his blog post.  I even mentioned that I have yet to see some of the other game play aspects that could be more challenging.  Either way, my post is still valid despite your claim that I don't know what I'm talking about. lol

  • NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon

    Vs regular mobs: GW2's regular mob battles are significantly more challenging than Tera's, vs regular mobs.

    Vs Boss & Bams: Tera's boss fights are more challenging than GW2's, also Tera's BAM fights, when you try to solo or duo, are significantly more challenging.

     

    I only made it to level 19 on GW2, and 29 Tera. So my view is based off those levels, remember that end game can be a totally different experience.

     

    GW2 boss battles were your standard "look for animation indicator" and move, they were challenging, but Tera wins this one by a bit with its bosses and bams that have a range of different attack patterns and scripts.

     

    While out questing, GW2 was far more challenging than what Tera had to offer. With Tera I would just go out round up a bunch of mobs, and just AOE them down (albeit very fun), but with GW2 I would head out, get involved in a dynamic quest, and be prepared to face a challenging battle.

     

    Only thing I was disgruntled about during GW2's PVE combat was when people would show up to a dynamic quest and just stand there and do nothing. I thought the encounter wasn't suppose to scale up, but it did. Others I saw were doing it on purpose then spamming local chat about it. Its a game mechanic i hope gets fine tuned, because some !@#$Q# will exploit it to ruin peoples' day.

     

    Only thing I was disgruntled about during Tera's PVE combat was the extremely easy and slow start the game has. It ramps up a lot by 20, even more at 27, but still I felt it was too easy just the normal mobs.

     

    Once again this can change for both games at later levels, only time will tell.

  • doragon86doragon86 Boston, MAPosts: 589Member

    Originally posted by Vunak23

    I validated my argument with details of how TERA actually works. There was no context to his post.

    How does detailing how TERA works validate your GW2 facerolling comment?

    "For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

  • doragon86doragon86 Boston, MAPosts: 589Member

    Originally posted by Airwren

    Originally posted by Jimmydean

    Originally posted by Airwren

    Originally posted by Verterdegete

    Originally posted by Vunak23

     

     

    You can't faceroll your way through the game like you can in GW2.

     

     

    Actually, GW2 is quite a bit more difficult than TERA...

    Agreed, I have yet to watch anyone be "challenged" by anything I've seen in Tera so far.  The levelling and questing is most definitely facerolling from what I've seen.  Having said that I have yet to see any large scale pvp or end game raids where things might actually be difficult.  Anyone whose claiming that combat in Tera is a challenge (at least as far as levelling is concerned) is either a terribad or flat out lying.

    So you've watched Tera but not played it. Makes sense that you have no clue what you are talking about.

    If you're here to try and claim that somehow the live game footage I'm watching isn't a good representation of the levelling process in Tera I think it's you who don't know what you're talking about.  Christ even Bill Murphy whose one of the staff writers here mentions that in his blog post.  I even mentioned that I have yet to see some of the other game play aspects that could be more challenging.  Either way, my post is still valid despite your claim that I don't know what I'm talking about. lol

    I don't know. I honestly feel that just watching it only gives you a jist of the game. I don't think it's enough to form a solid opinion on a game. However, TERA didn't feel that challenging to me, even when dealing with BAMs, but meh. 

    "For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,647Member Uncommon

    I enjoyed TERA. I thought it was a beautiful smooth game that had a fun combat mechanic but very mundane questing and dubious PvP (I hate lvl/ gear PvP, it's just pointless ego wanking with no real basis in skill).

    If GW2 wasn't on the horizon I would probably buy and play it. It looks and plays like an evolution of Aion and there was a lot I loved about Aion. I think I could have really got in to it.

    BUT...

    Sadly, that's not the case.

    GW2 IS on the horizon and I loved what I played in the event. TERA, to me, is good, but GW2 is great. I mean no disrespect to the TERA players here though, this is just a taste thing really, and I wish it well as a game. I have no doubt it will find an audience.

    I prefer GW2's PvP set up, it's art style, it's quest model, and how it encourages and rewards playstyles I value. That's just me though.

  • AlbredAlbred Oxford, PAPosts: 47Member

    Tera = 100% stand still and attack

    GW2 = 20% stand still and attack (for certain melee weapons)

     

    Tough decision...

  • Zen_BladeZen_Blade Folsom, CAPosts: 106Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Deolus

    I haven't touched Tera as I don't like the way it sexually portrays its characters.

    So you have not given me any option to vote for.

    Note I created this poll to discuss the combat, if you want to discuss the game as a whole or other aspects outside of combat, you're in the wrong thread.

  • ta_erogta_erog boston, MAPosts: 34Member

     

    Mr. I just did the GW2 Beta . .  

    And just relaying the facts.     You can't spam a Auto attack . .   OK?  it starts then it keeps going.  Hitting the key fast does you no good . .thus spamming is not even an option. 

    Also, just using the auto attack is a quick way to die or drag out a combat forever.  So IF people are doing so they do so in ignorance.

    What you might have saw is low level people just learning a new weapon.  If so they only have the first attack and will quickly open up the next 4 for that weapon.

    Also switching weapons/aspects is VERY important for combat.  (most have not realise this yet)

    Note I have not played TERA and have no comment at all on it's game play.  I am sure it is just fine.  I just wanted to make sure completely bogus statements and exaggerations and untruths about GW2 are kept to a minimum.

     

  • PulsarManPulsarMan Tampa, FLPosts: 289Member

    Originally posted by Airwren

    Originally posted by Verterdegete

    Originally posted by Vunak23

     

     

    You can't faceroll your way through the game like you can in GW2.

     

     

    Actually, GW2 is quite a bit more difficult than TERA...

    Agreed, I have yet to watch anyone be "challenged" by anything I've seen in Tera so far.  The levelling and questing is most definitely facerolling from what I've seen.  Having said that I have yet to see any large scale pvp or end game raids where things might actually be difficult.  Anyone whose claiming that combat in Tera is a challenge (at least as far as levelling is concerned) is either a terribad or flat out lying.

    Questing and leveling in Tera is not very difficult. As a lancer, I can pretty much fight my way through just about anything in the open world. Though there are a number of 5 man quests that I would prefer not to solo, as it tends to take a long time with my low ass damage. I only survive because I can block. If I miss a few blocks, I can easily end up having to run back. Some of the larger monsters, and BAM's will kill you fairly quickly. 

    The ease of leveling (At least in the earlier stages. I cannot comment on the later zones just yet.) is at least partly attributed to the fact that they give you a lot of shit to do. After level 13-15 or so, you have 3 sub zones you can choose from. Large amounts of quests you can skip entirely. Choosing different paths for alts and such if you deisre. There's also typically a few larger monsters that grant sizable xp, which a few friends and I grind on from time to time. They do have quests tied to them, and usually drop desired runes, so the effort is worthwhile. All of this said, I am almost always a far higher level than the quests and mobs I am running through. (The completionist in me.) Currently, I am making efforts to blow through the story quests, so I can reach the approperiate level content. But yes, it is pretty easy poking things to death when I am 3-5 levels higher. 

    Dungeons on the other hand are a bit more difficult. As is typical with any mmo. Party members need to know their roles. Need to know when to back up. When to stun. Where to stand. It's not rocket science, but a slip can wreck your party pretty quickly. Overall, I really enjoy the dungeons. 

    A side note - I do always see comments about combat rooting and such. It's intentional, and makes sense. Without it, I imagine a guy flinging a great sword all around while circle strafing all over the place. Or ranged classes that are entirely impossible to catch. I can think of very few combat games where you're not vunerable for a moment after completing a chain of attacks. If you make an attack, you're vunerable to damage. So, make it count.

    I'm not going to join in on the GW2 vs TERA battle. I've played both, and plan to continue to do so until I get bored and move onto the next new shiny game. If you can't, or would rather not play two games...pick which ever appeals to you more. They're both quite good so far. :) 

    Have fun! :D

  • ExcessionExcession NottinghamPosts: 367Member Uncommon

    I found the combat in GW2 to be better than Tera's, but I think they both dropped the ball.

    If they combined their combat systems, such as, if Tera allowed moving while attacking and actively dodging, and GW2 made you actually aim, I think both games would benefit, and be much better combat wise.

    A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

  • DeolusDeolus DoncasterPosts: 392Member

    Originally posted by bruuss

    Originally posted by Deolus

    *snip*

    Note I created this poll to discuss the combat, if you want to discuss the game as a whole or other aspects outside of combat, you're in the wrong thread.

    You are right of course, I shouldn't have posted off-topic and I apologize. I will edit my original post.

  • nolic1nolic1 Kingman, AZPosts: 687Member Uncommon

    I'll bite on this I pllayed all 3 betas for tera I could get into did alot of the beta content up to lvvl allowed and most of the time all I did on my slayer was grab alot of mobs and AoE them dowm not once even in instances did my health ever drop below 80% during all my play time and I think I died 2 times while afk. Now in GW2 no I did not 1 key it I used alot of my skills and weapon swapping didnt dodge except every once in a while but in all I liked GW2 combat alot more then Tera.

    To me Tera played like DDO with a mix of TR:DL games hot bar and it didnt flow right with me as to where GW2 had a completely new approch to combat using the old style mixed with something else. I spent alot of time in both games well one I have beta tested way to many games that are card board cut outs of the EQ/WoW combat so anytime a game brings new combat to the table I like it mostly. I did like Teras combat but thats it I felt my hand hold quest thing and almost couldn't stand it but bared with it cause I read it got better but they even lead you the the instances right to the door even and didnt feel like I was exploring the game but was being lead in the game.

    I am tired of this style of play and like what GW2 had to offer there, But for combat as I said Guildwars had somekind of new style I like and will stick with it unless someone makes a game with DCUO combat in a fantasy setting then I will be all over that.

    image
    To me I enjoy gaming I dont play to be uber I play to have fun. If a game is not fun to me guess what I move on and play something else till I find one that is. When I find that great game and not sure if in my life time there will be one I hope it has everything I want in an mmo.

  • MahavishnuMahavishnu BerlinPosts: 336Member

    The combat-system is very good in both games. Why is there such a fight on this topic? I prefer GW2 for its overall content-design. But to say that the combat is bad in one of these two MMOs is simply stupid.

    But there are just too many fanboys of both games trolling aroung the forums.

    However, thank you WardTheGreat for your cool Warrior-Video! You play very well. I have seen a few Videos so far, where Warrior owns other classes using sword and shield. I know 2handed-sword is cool, but what about the rifle and its F1-Killshot? I thought, this would be awsome in combat. And I see, that you like to buff yourfels and your allies with fury and might. Crit is always cool, but what do you think about might, is it useful?

    Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

  • Zen_BladeZen_Blade Folsom, CAPosts: 106Member Uncommon
    Just a reminder from the OP, that this is about the COMBAT of both games, not so much about the games as a whole, there's a ton of those threads already out there, and I'm not trying to rehash that.  I'm just curious about what people think about each games combat systems and how you the players enjoy (or do not) each of these systems.  Thanks, keep the discussion going!
Sign In or Register to comment.