Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat: TERA v. GW2. Your thoughts?

Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106

I'm curious what people as a whole think about the combat (And ONLY combat) between TERA and GW2.  Obvious bugs and such aside, which do you think is "better", and why?  Of course, there will be preferences that are subjective, but that's ok, games, and fun are subjective in nature by default so that's expected.  Looking forward to the discussion and keep it civil please!

Edit: Ok added a poll for simplicity sake, but the discussion is more important IMO. =)

Comments

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    you shouldve added a poll it would've been more interesting ;p

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

"Keep it civil"?  On MMORPG.com?  Good luck with that.

People tell me Tera's combat gets more exciting later on in the game, and I didn't play quite that far, but from the two games so far I prefer GW2's approach, though I think they could stand to give you more stamina.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

I haven't looked much into TERA, nor GW2...

However TB played TERA in his mailbox video. It looked horrible. Maybe it was just the beginning zone, but you always knew what the mob would do with its power attack...and if you dodged, the mob would do the power attack about 2-3 seconds later...but not even notice you moved. So like a deer or whatever creature it was, did a charge/ram about 3 seconds after TB dodged...and it wasn't even toward the direction TB moved to.

(edit)

There was another creature too, that would slam the ground. Same exact animation, each time. TB dodged, and creature was too stupid to notice he moved to another area, and 3 seconds after dodge, the creature then slammed the ground where TB was before...

(end edit)

The AI looks horrible. And really really predictable.

Granted, that is only from the beginning area. But if the rest of the game is like that, I would rofl a lot.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

For me the fact that at Tera you gotta stay still to do skills puts me out of the game. Im a bit tired of that.

I played GW2 beta and was surprised how the combat system works, always moving, dodging, jumping and doing skills at same time, it turns it very fluid and was what i most liked. Its harder at beginning but it has a lot more action going arround, and makes it much better IMO.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Isasis

I haven't looked much into TERA, nor GW2...

However TB played TERA in his mailbox video. It looked horrible. Maybe it was just the beginning zone, but you always knew what the mob would do with its power attack...and if you dodged, the mob would do the power attack about 2-3 seconds later...but not even notice you moved. So like a deer or whatever creature it was, did a charge/ram about 3 seconds after TB dodged...and it wasn't even toward the direction TB moved to.

The AI looks horrible. And really really predictable.

Granted, that is only from the beginning area. But if the rest of the game is like that, I would rofl a lot.

I've been watching a lot of live streams of different classes and levels for Tera since their EA starts, trying to decide if the game is worth picking up.  The combat looks interesting but I haven't really seen the aim thing make that much difference.  It looks to me like most of the attacks are either cone or AOE attacks which makes aiming pointless.  I also have yet to watch anyone doing some meaningful pvp beyond ganking or getting ganked which makes it hard to judge how the combat system works in a meaningful pvp environment.  For now I'll just wait on the game until it isn't so PvE centric.

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106

Originally posted by RKameL

For me the fact that at Tera you gotta stay still to do skills puts me out of the game. Im a bit tired of that.

I played GW2 beta and was surprised how the combat system works, always moving, dodging, jumping and doing skills at same time, it turns it very fluid and was what i most liked. Its harder at beginning but it has a lot more action going arround, and makes it much better IMO.

Interesting point about some skills "stopping" your movement.  I have been hearing a lot of complaints in GW2 about ranged being overpowered vs. melee, and wonder if that's the single biggest reason.  If you can kite everything, why have melee for the most part?  That could also by why TERA chose to restrict the movement on many abilities (Some you can move and execute).

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    *deleted*
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by Deolus

I haven't touched Tera as I don't like the way it sexually portrays its characters.

So you have not given me any option to vote for.

Aww my Mom wouldn't let me play games like that when I was 10 either. =/

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

This forum is full of GW2 fanboys its easy to guess that the poll would have GW2 winning with it being clunky and sluggish as hell

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Sinaku

This forum is full of GW2 fanboys its easy to guess that the poll would have GW2 winning with it being clunky and sluggish as hell

Tera felt clunky to me, actually.  *shrug*

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Tera's combat destroys GW2.

No tab targeting, completely aim based (aside from VERY few lock ons, that you have to aim to lock on).

The animation lock in TERA is one of the single greatest things about its combat. You can't faceroll your way through the game like you can in GW2. You have to think about every skill you use all the time. Can I use my big hitting attack, or is the mob gonna activate its quicker big hitting attack thus one shotting me? Should I stun the mob now, or hold off for later.

You cant go through a rotation in TERA because everything is extremely situational. You have a preferred rotation if everything goes perfect (never does).

People that are hating on TERA's combat are those that are either clickers (cant click in TERA its impossible), or are just extremely bad.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Sinaku
    Tera felt clunky to me, actually.  *shrug*

Guess everyone in different to some degree it felt very fluid and controlled to me.

Originally posted by bruuss

Interesting point about some skills "stopping" your movement.  I have been hearing a lot of complaints in GW2 about ranged being overpowered vs. melee, and wonder if that's the single biggest reason.  If you can kite everything, why have melee for the most part?  That could also by why TERA chose to restrict the movement on many abilities (Some you can move and execute).

The most frustrating thing as a melee player is when range are able to kite me with no consequences. Ever fight a Frost Mage in WoW? Now imagine every ranged class feeling like a Frost Mage in GW2. That's what the PVP was like. 

In TERA, the action lock makes it so casters have to choose their abilities wisely as well as melee. It's more about choosing your skills and when to use them, than running away and spamming 1 ala GW2.

Originally posted by bruuss

Yea at official forums there is already a thread from the staff about melee/ranged combat.

I didnt play any melee at the beta, played Engineer and Elementalist. For example engineer with 2 pistols, i like the fact of being able to shoot while running, place mines or turrets if im trying to escape to delay enemies and stuf like that..
  • doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Hmm... wish I could find a previous post I made otherwise I'd just copy and paste. Oh well.

Anyways, Tera's combat is fairly good. It involves actual dodging, which can be accomplished by either using the dodge/block skill or physically getting out of the way of an attack. However, some skill animations lock you in place, which can get annoying if it's somewhat lengthy. You can cancel the skill animation by doging/blocking and what not, but that's not the point. Anyways, skills are actually aimed, though there are some skills with some lock on capabilities.

GW2 combat is also decent, however it works a bit differently. The doging in GW2 isn't really dodging in my opinion but rather a quasi-dodging system. Every class has a skill that allows you to dodge. However, if you were to let's say try to physically dodge an ability, it wouldn't work in most cases. There have been many times when I'm in melee range and behind a target, and have still gotten hit despite not being in their line of fire. Thus people using ranged weapons have a far easier time dealing with fights in both PvE and PvP because of this. However, the skill animations don't lock you in place. In other words, you can still continue moving freely even when using a skill. There isn't any sort of aiming with skills, everything is lock on tab targeting combat. 

While I enjoy both types of combat GW2 feels much smoother to me. I do wish though that MMOs would take a page from Vindictus and the like when it comes to active combat. In Vindictus you have to aim your abilities, there is no skill animation locking, and you have a dodge skill along with the ability to physically dodge enemy attacks. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Vunak23

You can't faceroll your way through the game like you can in GW2.

Actually, GW2 is quite a bit more difficult than TERA...

Tera's combat destroys GW2.

No tab targeting, completely aim based (aside from VERY few lock ons, that you have to aim to lock on).

The animation lock in TERA is one of the single greatest things about its combat. You can't faceroll your way through the game like you can in GW2. You have to think about every skill you use all the time. Can I use my big hitting attack, or is the mob gonna activate its quicker big hitting attack thus one shotting me? Should I stun the mob now, or hold off for later.

You cant go through a rotation in TERA because everything is extremely situational. You have a preferred rotation if everything goes perfect (never does).

People that are hating on TERA's combat are those that are either clickers (cant click in TERA its impossible), or are just extremely bad.

It's interesting that you make the comments that you do in regards to the rotation for skills in Tera.  If the game is how you describe it I have yet to see it play that way.  Watched a level 40ish slayer play for about 4 hours last night and it was the same process the whole time.  Gather up mobs, AOE, never go below 50% health, rinse and repeat.  Got on Twitch today and watched a 30ish priest do exactly the same thing the slayer did.  The combat didn't require any thought or tactics whatsoever.  I'm not saying the combat isn't good, it just isn't at all what you are describing here. 

Originally posted by Verterdegete

No doubts of that, some players complain about it, but i think its all about getting used to it..

If clickers cant play at Tera you should see at GW2...

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

Not sure how many played gw2 but you do not need to spam the 1 key.

I played a mesmer 90% of my time on GW2 beta but I started to play a warrior near the end. Melee is incredibly difficult if you just pick top damage moves and everything to try to get the biggest number possible. I took a 1hd + shield, bull rush and 2 other utilties and was able to block projectiles to get close enough to leap i and kept them knocked down or crippled so i was able to kill them off.

I can't comment on Tera is looks fun from the videos I see but I just wanted to give some perspective on the gw2 side when I saw a few comments.  If it feels chunky or what not that is fine and your opinion but wanted to give some insight on melee.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Yea.. I stopped reading his post when he said this. People were pretty much complaining about how difficult it was. I have a friend who was farming a 30+ dungeon in a group in Tera while waiting for release, and his group rarely took damage. In GW2, you're level 1, and mobs are handing your ass to you if you aren't wary. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

Agreed, I have yet to watch anyone be "challenged" by anything I've seen in Tera so far.  The levelling and questing is most definitely facerolling from what I've seen.  Having said that I have yet to see any large scale pvp or end game raids where things might actually be difficult.  Anyone whose claiming that combat in Tera is a challenge (at least as far as levelling is concerned) is either a terribad or flat out lying.

Originally posted by Airwren

Agreed, I have yet to watch anyone be "challenged" by anything I've seen in Tera so far.  The levelling and questing is most definitely facerolling from what I've seen.  Having said that I have yet to see any large scale pvp or end game raids where things might actually be difficult.  Anyone whose claiming that combat in Tera is a challenge (at least as far as levelling is concerned) is either a terribad or flat out lying.

So you've watched Tera but not played it. Makes sense that you have no clue what you are talking about.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Actually the BAMS and bosses can be hard.

Especially the BAMS that jump around. Part of that is that you can't make a mistake or you pay for it. Part of it can also be endurance, especially when fighting them with a small group.

Levelling on mobs/quests isn't hard but very few games are. I know that I rarely died in LOTRO.

Like any game the difficulty raises if you accidentally pull more than you can handle. Luckily, in Tera, you could have a chance if you play smartly.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Validate it instead of throwing out worthless comments like this

It's interesting that you make the comments that you do in regards to the rotation for skills in Tera.  If the game is how you describe it I have yet to see it play that way.  Watched a level 40ish slayer play for about 4 hours last night and it was the same process the whole time.  Gather up mobs, AOE, never go below 50% health, rinse and repeat.  Got on Twitch today and watched a 30ish priest do exactly the same thing the slayer did.  The combat didn't require any thought or tactics whatsoever.  I'm not saying the combat isn't good, it just isn't at all what you are describing here. 

Like I said. Preferred rotation. A smart slayer will use Whirlwind > Overhand > Knockdown > Overhand > Heart Strike > Overhand. AoE grinding is a valid way to grind but it isn't as fast as BAMing. So yes there is mindless grinding in TERA like in every other game. But it is NOT efficient.

And a slayer that doesnt go below 50% hp is a bad slayer. Very bad slayer.

In instances, BAMing and PvP the main forms of TERA you cant faceroll like in GW2.

I could counter your argument by saying the only thing I saw when watching a massive amount of GW2 streams for 4+ hours was people spamming the 1 key. And it would be true. The only thing I saw people doing was spamming 1. The difference between Gw2 and TERA. It was working in GW2. Do it in TERA and you will get raped by everything in game.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Deolus

I haven't touched Tera as I don't like the way it sexually portrays its characters.

So you have not given me any option to vote for.

I dont understand people's hatred of this. In many cultures they embrace that. Why the hate?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design