Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only 20-30 players per Planet after Level 30

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

The planets after Level 35 are all empty on European servers.  YES i mean empty ... on some servers with always LIGHT population theres no one in some areas. All players on my friend list are gone but 1 that played to Level 43 with me. The most of them stopped playing in their low 20is. 

In the last 3 weeks i have only met a few other players while exploring and questing on the different planets... after Tattooine... Most players i see  are on the Imperial Fleet but thats it. Some bored level 50is .....

On Corelia or Voss i never see more than max 20-50 people playing at peaktimes then later  i am one of 5 or maybe 6 players left usually ....

even the starter and low level areas are quiet  since a while

If BioWare doesnt react soon this will turn out bad for SWTOR.....

Comments

• mmodannommodanno Member Posts: 163

lol... before I canceled my sub, often times I would be the ONLY one on a planet!  I would usually have to just delete the HEROICS for a planet as I leveled up because there were never enough people to complete them. 

For the record, I play mostly daytime, never a big population for MMOs.  But still, of all the MMOs I've played over the years, this is by far the emptiest I have ever seen world to world, realm to realm, etc. in any of them.

Server merges would certainly help, but Bioware will not do this for fear of 'bad press'.  Well, they will do it eventually, but only when the game is so empty that it would be classified as dead for any other 'AAA' mmo.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    Little of it has to do with bad press, most of it is becouse of the legacy system imo.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    The problem is the fact that they just made too many planets, thus stretching everyone out. They should have cut the number of planets in half . This would have concentrated more people on them. You could have gotten rid of Voss, Belsavis, and Balmora and no one would have complained when they are all on Tattoine or Hoth slugging it out.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by ktanner3

The problem is the fact that they just made too many planets, thus stretching everyone out. They should have cut the number of planets in half . This would have concentrated more people on them. You could have gotten rid of Voss, Belsavis, and Balmora and no one would have complained when they are all on Tattoine or Hoth slugging it out.

Nah, too many servers. You can never have too many planets.

They could add a sandboxy planet, for 50s to mess around on, that would be awesome

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I always wanted to see the planets be contested. It does not have to revolve around pvp, there could be non pvp related ways to  control a planet as well. This would create the need for higher level players to leave the fleet and do stuff on the other planets.

There is no need to create things to do on the starter planets, but certainly there is plenty of room elsewhere to create a deeper game within the game. 

Examples....black market, smuggling, slicing, gambling, the Hutt cartels...any of these things and others could be ways to create "things to do on other planets". Instead of making the companions into "fetch stuff" slaves the need to farm materials is also a legitimate way to force players outside of fleet. 

Swtor just lacks depth when it comes to the large scale of the the galaxy and overall game play.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by superniceguy

Nah, too many servers. You can never have too many planets.

They could add a sandboxy planet, for 50s to mess around on, that would be awesome

I agree. They have too many servers. They upped the server capacity, and of course they lost some players which is causing the thinning of population.

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I agree with some of points above. I think the problem is a combination of a few issues. Too many server, too many planets, and (most importantly) the progression through the planet is linear and phased. Even if there is someone on a planet, you may never see them because they are in a different area or phase of the planet, making it feel like a ghost town everywhere you go. 
  • jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by mmodanno

Server merges would certainly help, but Bioware will not do this for fear of 'bad press'.  Well, they will do it eventually, but only when the game is so empty that it would be classified as dead for any other 'AAA' mmo.

I don't think it's the bad press that they're worried about. They simply don't have the system in place for mass transfer.

They recently transfered many Oceanic players to their own servers but had to do that manually.

The game launched way before it was ready with many features, including back-end administration, not in place.

It will be a miracle to see the game come back from this rushed launch, especially with competition from other games that it didn't have at launch.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

lol... before I canceled my sub, often times I would be the ONLY one on a planet!  I would usually have to just delete the HEROICS for a planet as I leveled up because there were never enough people to complete them. 

For the record, I play mostly daytime, never a big population for MMOs.  But still, of all the MMOs I've played over the years, this is by far the emptiest I have ever seen world to world, realm to realm, etc. in any of them.

I get your point on the server merges but gotta call BS on the only one on a planet comment. What, was it 4am on a US server? I have characters on three different servers,  PVE with main guild, PVE with friends and family guild, and a PVP server. I have never been the only one on a planet.

I was on Alderaan last night on The Harbringer server and there were 73 folks there as well. There were 250+ at the fleet. It IS true that at 50, running around doing dailies I did see only 30 or so on at times. But that was on max level areas as well.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by dougmysticey

I get your point on the server merges but gotta call BS on the only one on a planet comment. What, was it 4am on a US server? I have characters on three different servers,  PVE with main guild, PVE with friends and family guild, and a PVP server. I have never been the only one on a planet.

I was on Alderaan last night on The Harbringer server and there were 73 folks there as well. There were 250+ at the fleet. It IS true that at 50, running around doing dailies I did see only 30 or so on at times. But that was on max level areas as well.

There are a handful of servers with a decent population. The vast majority are almost empty with the only option at the moment being a re-roll on a more populated server.

No reason to call BS on someone from a less populated server. Maybe try rolling on a light server and find out for yourself?

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The problem is people sit in the fleet and grind battlegrounds and instances.

Get rid of fleets.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by dougmysticey

Harbinger is well known as one of the few heavy servers, eg Fatman etc. they are the servers new players pick and people on empyt servers reroll on. There are not many of them, and a lot of empty ones.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Sigh, alas this.

Was on Quesh yesterday the only person for 2 hours.

I really wish they would just either merge servers or at least make a cross server dungeon finder for Flashpoints and Warzones. So is so depressing. :/

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this question has been answered, but do we know if people that are in instances count towards the population of a planet?  I'm not making excuses for the game, as I think it was pretty poorly designed from a strict MMO standpoint.  I'm just interested to know if a game that is this heavily instanced doesn't have that working against them in terms of planet population.  I know that people who were in their ships doing space missions didn't count towards the population even though they were docked on a specific planet at that point in time.  So I'm wondering if folks in instances don't count either.  As heavily instanced as this game is, with all the class quests and various other world quest instances, the population numbers for planets could be gettiing undersold a bit.  

I don't have a dog in this fight, as I've already cancelled my account for various reasons that I could write a damn book on, but I do have to say that those planet populations may not be accurate.  If someone has any info on how instancing plays into this, or if it does, please post it so we can find out how accurate the numbers are.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Guess you shouldn't have rolled on low pop servers to try and dodge a measly 40 minute queue at launch.

Lesson learned?

Originally posted by Kost

Guess you shouldn't have rolled on low pop servers to try and dodge a measly 40 minute queue at launch.

Lesson learned?

Yes, it's the poor saps playing the games fault, not the supposedly competent company running the game.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I see too many people. some planets I vist have over 80 players doing stuff. makes for mass lagg sometimes when i run into them all. so unless your on a truly dead server, or I call BS bait to draw haters who love to tell everyone this game blows due to certain missing Wow features and proclaim waiting on GW2 people who think it will save the MMO genre.

Post pictures if you want to back up this story. no photoshop or admit your full of it so we can move on to the next hate post.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Originally posted by Kost

Lesson learned?

My server was Full/heavy at launch. It is Med/low all of the time last time I checked.

The only lesson I learned from my SWTOR experience is to play more betas, that way I don't waste my time and money on games that are not fun.

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

I see too many people. some planets I vist have over 80 players doing stuff. makes for mass lagg sometimes when i run into them all. so unless your on a truly dead server, or I call BS bait to draw haters who love to tell everyone this game blows due to certain missing Wow features and proclaim waiting on GW2 people who think it will save the MMO genre.

Post pictures if you want to back up this story. no photoshop or admit your full of it so we can move on to the next hate post.

What server are you on.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

If you sit back and take the game for what it really is and not how it was labeled on the box, you will see that everything that is happening to TOR makes sense. SPRPG's with coop features, make big splashes from pre-release and first few month sales. Once players reach the end of the story and max level, they leave and shelve the game,  possibley going back in the future or never reinstalling it again.

I would guess that, there's those that are still playing and loving it, and are more KOTOR SP fans per say, and then there are those that are struggling with the empty servers and all other things the game lacks that pertain to the mmo genre. Nothing Bioware adds will change the core foundation of how TOR plays. They can add another 3 chapters to your personal story and it will be nothing more than the next KOTOR.

When they said they were making KOTOR 3 through 10, they really meant that in a literal term. TOR is basically KOTOR 3, and everything after that will just follow in the same order.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Well, its still the second most successfull mmo release for an AAA title.
    Yet there is clearly a reduction in subs and i hope the developers get the right conclusions out of it:
    Iconic but highly repetitive and quite one dimensional gameplay is not enough to get a mmo crowded for years to come - you need to get back to virtual worlds with economics and social interdpendancies, faction pride etc.

Dont get it wrong, the story was the selling point for SWTOR and it sold well but it was not the fourth pillar - it was pretty much the only pillar in this game!

Liked:
    Some of the less overdone, less iconic story parts.
    Comnpanions

Disliked:
    All of the rest and the boredom from it.

It was good to ok for three months as Coop-RPG.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Populations are still A-OK.

According to Arts of Electronica all is fine and dandy. And I for one believe them whole heartedly. NASDAQ approved.

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

i have to delete all heroics as well. cant find anyone to do them.

i hate the fact that i go trough whole conversations before i know if its a heroic or not tough...... 

BioWare was to lazy to put another Quest Sign for heroics above the NPCs sadly....

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Elikal

Sigh, alas this.

Was on Quesh yesterday the only person for 2 hours.

I really wish they would just either merge servers or at least make a cross server dungeon finder for Flashpoints and Warzones. So is so depressing. :/

To be fair, Quesh is only a two level planet. Two hours is about all you need to level up and move on. Granted, they would have beeen better of just putting those two levels on another planet and dismissing Quesh all together.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by musicmann

If you sit back and take the game for what it really is and not how it was labeled on the box, you will see that everything that is happening to TOR makes sense. SPRPG's with coop features, make big splashes from pre-release and first few month sales. Once players reach the end of the story and max level, they leave and shelve the game,  possibley going back in the future or never reinstalling it again.

I would guess that, there's those that are still playing and loving it, and are more KOTOR SP fans per say, and then there are those that are struggling with the empty servers and all other things the game lacks that pertain to the mmo genre. Nothing Bioware adds will change the core foundation of how TOR plays. They can add another 3 chapters to your personal story and it will be nothing more than the next KOTOR.

When they said they were making KOTOR 3 through 10, they really meant that in a literal term. TOR is basically KOTOR 3, and everything after that will just follow in the same order.

Game is very subpar to SPRGs, so no, if you play it like that you will be very dissapointed.

Only way to "feel right" is to take it as pure themepark MMO ala WoW/LOTRO/Rift...